YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

trans;lation help for ashtanga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

osutuffy
Posted 2007-02-06 6:06 PM (#76657)
Subject: trans;lation help for ashtanga

I have a website that breaks down the sanskrit names and pronunciations for poses.
EX:
(OOT-tan-AHS-ahna) ut = intense tan = to stretch or extend.

Can anyone tranlate these ones for me? I have several sites that have the poses and translations but these ones are not appearing on any of them.
URDHVA VRIKASANAB
SAMASTHITIH
SURYANAMASKARA (I know this is sun salutation, but not sure how to pronounce it)
PADANGUSTHASANA
Utthita Hasta Padangusthasana
PADA HASTASANA

Might have some more to add as I learn them, but these are the first ones I came across that I couldn't find
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jonnie
Posted 2007-02-07 1:03 AM (#76690 - in reply to #76657)
Subject: RE: trans;lation help for ashtanga

Sanskrit is certainly important, though at your stage of the game, I would focus more on practise than the theory.

As SKPJ says " Ashtanga is 1% theory and 99% practise"

Jonathon
DownwardDog
Posted 2007-02-07 3:43 AM (#76696 - in reply to #76657)
Subject: RE: trans;lation help for asht

Agreed!

osutuffy
Posted 2007-02-07 9:38 AM (#76730 - in reply to #76690)
Subject: RE: translation help for ashtanga

Sanskrit is certainly important, though at your stage of the game, I would focus more on practise than the theory.

Well, I would like to learn what a pose is called so I can learn the sequence. I don't want to remember the numbers of the pose and later go back and learn the names. Would be like a teacher numbering the students in her class and saying when she gets around to it learn their names. Names would help me remember the poses and what I am supposed to be doing in the pose. Besides their is Sun Salutation A and B, if I am remembering poses by numbers how do I not get pose A (pick and number) with B (of the same number).

Nevermind. I asked elsewhere and got answers to the translations.

As for spending more on practice than theory. I can't practice the poses 16 hours a day, so why not learn the theory in my spare time?

Edited by osutuffy 2007-02-07 10:02 AM
Ravi
Posted 2007-02-07 2:20 PM (#76784 - in reply to #76657)

Om Namah Sivaya
Tiffany,

If I may elaborate somewhat more on what DD and Jonnie were getting to. ( Or so I hope that they were getting to this, if not ) While it is rather obvious you are fairly new to yoga it is not necessarily so important to try and learn everything at once. This will only confuse you more and you'll end up burning yourself out before you even started.
This day and age we are so accustomed to instant gratification i.e, fastfood , priority overnight shipping, cosmetic surgery,... so I hope you see where I am leading to. As a beginner it may take a while to learn body awareness before you will have the flexibility, strength, and endurance to try most the Asanas, which is the whole part of the journey of developing a Yoga/Asana practice.
I took the advice above as for you to slow down a bit...... learn what you can but a great part of the learning is from the practice... developing mindfulness and body awareness, as these are the greatest teachings. .......

The advice echoed the teachings from my teacher " An ounze of practice is worth far more than a ton of Theory"

I wish you success with your practice. Please feel free to ask anything there are quite a few regulars here that are very knowledgeable and will steer you in the right direction

Om Shanti,
Ravi

Edited by Ravi 2007-02-07 2:21 PM
DownwardDog
Posted 2007-02-07 4:03 PM (#76808 - in reply to #76657)
Subject: RE: trans;lation help for asht

Thank you Ravi, that's what I meant.

osutuffy
Posted 2007-02-07 4:28 PM (#76810 - in reply to #76784)

I'm not trying to learn everything at once, but I would like to know what a pose is called as I am learning it. I would rather learn it in the language it is originally in so that it's easier to find more information about the pose. If you go to the doctor they prescribe with latin names and this is true of most medicines in most countries. It's the original language and makes it easier to use that than to hope to match up everyone's translations.

Having to pull teeth to get information will make me burn out quicker than anything. For example when I first asked about books, dvds, websites to learn yoga on, I got about 9 replies on get a teacher. When I explained I can not afford one, I got replies on how I can afford one. Then I explained I do not have any income, I got reluctant replies on books, dvd's, and websites with poses. When I asked a translation of a word, I didn't expect to get all these replies on why I don't need the translation, and how I should not worry about the translation. If I went to a class it is a possibility that an instructor would call out a name in Sanskrit, correct?

While I appreciate the advice that I have recieved here, it is possible that when people ask a question on a subject they do not need alternative answers.

I know how I learn and thinking about the name would make me think of how the pose looks. It would be easier than to think, sun salution a position 5 looks like this and then later realize I was doing position 5 of sun salutation b because I tried to learn it by number.
SCThornley
Posted 2007-02-07 5:01 PM (#76814 - in reply to #76657)

I use a marker that I move from one corner of my mat to the middle to the other corner and back to count the number of sun salutations that I do, so that I get 5 of each.

I use a button.

If I don't use the button, sometimes I'll do more, sometimes less.

I started using the button when my practice ran two and a half hours, I have no idea how many SS's I did that day, but it was good.
osutuffy
Posted 2007-02-07 5:35 PM (#76819 - in reply to #76814)

I use a marker that I move from one corner of my mat to the middle to the other corner and back to count the number of sun salutations that I do, so that I get 5 of each.

I started using the button when my practice ran two and a half hours, I have no idea how many SS's I did that day, but it was good.

That's funny
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-02-07 7:08 PM (#76825 - in reply to #76810)

Sorry you're feeling that you're getting the run-around here, which I'm sure is not anyone's intent, and quite the contrary. While I don't practice strict ashtanga, I can share with you some of the things I did to learn the Sanskrit names as I was learning how to practice: I read and I wrote. I went to Yoga Journal's website and read all of their beginner material. I printed out every one of their Pose Finder pages so that I'd have a hard copy to look at when I was away from the computer. Then I created a spreadsheet from an index site to YogaDancer's beautiful asana pictures and broke down the pose names in my spreadsheet into the Sanskrit components (eka=one, pada=foot, etc.), as well as the type of pose (backbend, twist, etc.). It was only after I had done a substantial amount of work on my spreadsheet that I started attending classes regularly at a studio, two and a half years ago (had been doing YogaFit DVDs for a year before that, and I really don't count that as having "practiced").

You have a computer and all these resources are free. I'm sure all the information I've cataloged on my own is already available elsewhere, but since I'm the type of person that learns from writing things, this was my method of choice. The internet is a wonderful thing; hope it helps you learn as much as it has helped me.

tourist
Posted 2007-02-07 7:19 PM (#76827 - in reply to #76825)

Expert Yogi

Tiffany - we do mean well, even though it feels like it is hard to get a straight answer. That is kinda typical for yoga teachers, traditionally As for "I can't afford it" - well, we hear that so often from people who are really just using that as an excuse, I think we tend to think everyone is that way. As for hitting the books - I am one of those who wants to read everything before I start most of the time. What I found in yoga was that there was a lot I just wasn't ready to read yet. Going back 3 or so years later, I got more out of the reading. And I often forget about YJ's beginner pages. They are really helpful and free!
osutuffy
Posted 2007-02-08 12:09 AM (#76841 - in reply to #76825)

OrangeMat - 2007-02-07 7:08 PM

Sorry you're feeling that you're getting the run-around here, which I'm sure is not anyone's intent, and quite the contrary. While I don't practice strict ashtanga, I can share with you some of the things I did to learn the Sanskrit names as I was learning how to practice: I read and I wrote. I went to Yoga Journal's website and read all of their beginner material. I printed out every one of their Pose Finder pages so that I'd have a hard copy to look at when I was away from the computer. Then I created a spreadsheet from an index site to YogaDancer's beautiful asana pictures and broke down the pose names in my spreadsheet into the Sanskrit components (eka=one, pada=foot, etc.), as well as the type of pose (backbend, twist, etc.). It was only after I had done a substantial amount of work on my spreadsheet that I started attending classes regularly at a studio, two and a half years ago (had been doing YogaFit DVDs for a year before that, and I really don't count that as having "practiced").

You have a computer and all these resources are free. I'm sure all the information I've cataloged on my own is already available elsewhere, but since I'm the type of person that learns from writing things, this was my method of choice. The internet is a wonderful thing; hope it helps you learn as much as it has helped me.

I am sure my post came across as angry, but I was not angry at the time. I have been going to forums for years, and I know it is easy to fall into this habit, I call it "let's give a standard answer" without thinking why I am asking the question. I agree that classes would be best, but as I have said I have 20 in my bank account for emergencies and that is all I have. I have a friend that took a yoga class that can give me advice about my poses, but that's as close as I can get to an instructor.
I have great resources online as well as access to yoga on tv. I downloaded a couple videos on my laptop. I am basically doing the same thing you did, and compiling the information. Seeing something in writing is how I learn. I can't dance to hip hop music cause there's not really any books to teach me how. I lived with a choireographer (sp) and even he couldn't teach me how.

I did my first batch of sun salutations today (sort of, didn't make it through 5 each) and it was good. Because of the one site someone gave me and people here that helped me understand what it was telling me, I knew when to inhale and exhale and was easier. Previously unless the person on video reminded me to breath, I would hold my breath. I didn't have to memorize each breath, but see how it worked and what usually required an inhale/exhale.

I downloaded a video that had the sun salutations, fundamental poses, primary, and finishing on it. In the beginning it gave alternatives to poses if you were not that flexible.

edit: I found it easier to do the poses when I heard the name of it and knew what it was and when to IN EX and instead of thinking about whether I had breathed when I was supposed to I was able to make sure I was moving the muscles I was supposed to. It's starting to feel more natural (except for the ones where I can't stretch all the way )

Edited by osutuffy 2007-02-08 12:25 AM
osutuffy
Posted 2007-02-08 12:22 AM (#76842 - in reply to #76827)

tourist - 2007-02-07 7:19 PM

Tiffany - we do mean well, even though it feels like it is hard to get a straight answer. That is kinda typical for yoga teachers, traditionally As for "I can't afford it" - well, we hear that so often from people who are really just using that as an excuse, I think we tend to think everyone is that way. As for hitting the books - I am one of those who wants to read everything before I start most of the time. What I found in yoga was that there was a lot I just wasn't ready to read yet. Going back 3 or so years later, I got more out of the reading. And I often forget about YJ's beginner pages. They are really helpful and free!

I know ya'll mean well. I appreciate the advice. I am not trying to pick a fight. It just kind of for lack of a better word, confused me why (this is how it came across) would basically tell me that I didn't need to know this information. It may not have been intended this way, but with little sleep that is how it read. I get where people are trying to help, but I was asking the information for a reason. It is how I learn. Again, this is how it came across, but it was like someone was trying to tell me I shouldn't learn the way I do and learn their way instead. I know that everyone is polite here, I mean that, this is the first forum where someone hasn't been out right rude to someone else, and I know that it wasn't intended as a slap in my face. But I react and then think. Hence, one of my big reasons for yoga is to help me with this. I was much calmer when I meditated, and am much calmer and happier after exercise.
As for the I can't afford it. Sorry, but in some cases it is true. I worked in credit collections and used to give people advice for paying their bills. One of the tips is to cut out the extras like cable, cell phone, etc. I have nothing to cut out, bf pays for the bills. I was doing at home work for his company, but they may do away with it, haven't had it since before Christmas and still owe me a check. But one of the extras that I would have told someone cut out was gym memberships.
YJ has been very helpful along with several other sites. Just ran into a block on some of the words. Yahoo gave me a blank page for at least one of the words.

gumbylovesyoga
Posted 2007-02-08 3:46 AM (#76846 - in reply to #76657)

The thing with "practice, practice, practice all is coming" is that if you repeatedly practice incorrectly it takes a huge amount of effort to correct a bad habit. I wonder if this is one of the reasons so many yoga teachers can't even get their tongue around the correct pronunciation of asana?
I think it's great that you want to learn the sanskrit names for postures and I think it's much easier to learn them as you go along rather than try to learn many at once.
I thought your question was simple and straight forward - it deserved a simple and straightforward answer. If you are still looking for sanskrit names/translations, if I know them, I would be only too happy to post them.
jonnie
Posted 2007-02-08 4:53 AM (#76849 - in reply to #76657)

osutuffy - 2007-02-08 8:22 AM

I know ya'll mean well. I appreciate the advice. I am not trying to pick a fight. It just kind of for lack of a better word, confused me why (this is how it came across) would basically tell me that I didn't need to know this information.

Hi tiffany,

I didn't tell you that you don't need this information, I wrote, “Sanskrit is certainly important, though at your stage of the game, I would focus more on practise than the theory”.

My advice was not offered in isolation, but in the context of the other threads that you started on the forum, all of which you received detailed answers too (and many from me).

Money, should not be a barrier to the study of Yoga. I’m sure if you explained your situation to a local teacher, other arrangements could be made. Maybe you could clean the studio or work on the reception desk in return for free classes.

Zoebird, a regular poster on the forum and very experienced teacher, completed her entire teacher training this way.

Jonathon

tourist
Posted 2007-02-08 10:35 AM (#76904 - in reply to #76849)

Expert Yogi

jonnie - I think the idea of working in a studio in exchange for classes is getting harder and harder to do. Perhaps in a small place run by one or two teachers it is workable, but I know we have decided not to do any work/study programs because it is just so difficult to administer. We find it is simpler and clearer to pay the people who do work for us and they can then pay for classes.
jonnie
Posted 2007-02-08 10:41 AM (#76907 - in reply to #76657)

Hi Tourist,

Harder maybe, but not impossible.

Where there is a will there is a way

Jonathon
osutuffy
Posted 2007-02-08 12:41 PM (#76930 - in reply to #76849)

Hi tiffany,
I didn't tell you that you don't need this information, I wrote, “Sanskrit is certainly important, though at your stage of the game, I would focus more on practise than the theory”.

My advice was not offered in isolation, but in the context of the other threads that you started on the forum, all of which you received detailed answers too (and many from me).

Money, should not be a barrier to the study of Yoga. I’m sure if you explained your situation to a local teacher, other arrangements could be made. Maybe you could clean the studio or work on the reception desk in return for free classes.

Jonathon

I know you didn't mean it to come across that way, it's just the way it came across. I know you don't know me or my learning process. Also, because I am learning at home if I need to look up information about a certain pose, I have found sanskrit is the best way to look it up because there are multiple ways to translate it.
Also, for me, if I know the theory behind something, it is easier to practice it. Easier to know what I should be doing, not all video I have watched explain what muscles get activated, etc.

Unfortunately, money is a barrier to alot of things in life no matter how important they are. People go all the time without food, medical treatment, etc because money is a barrier. If I could work part time to pay for yoga, then I would already be working part time elsewhere for income. There's reasons I work at home, and I have been looking for more at home work that isn't a scam since way before Jeff's company decided to cut out my job.
osutuffy
Posted 2007-02-08 12:53 PM (#76932 - in reply to #76846)

gumbylovesyoga - 2007-02-08 3:46 AM
The thing with "practice, practice, practice all is coming" is that if you repeatedly practice incorrectly it takes a huge amount of effort to correct a bad habit. I wonder if this is one of the reasons so many yoga teachers can't even get their tongue around the correct pronunciation of asana?"

I like to learn languages, almost made languages my major. I also find it easier to think about the pose as it should be done if I think about it in Sanskrit. I went to Jordan for a month and found it easier to speak the language if I was thinking in that language. It was hard to think toothbrush and then say fur shayet snan.

I think it's great that you want to learn the sanskrit names for postures and I think it's much easier to learn them as you go along rather than try to learn many at once.
I thought your question was simple and straight forward - it deserved a simple and straightforward answer. If you are still looking for sanskrit names/translations, if I know them, I would be only too happy to post them.

I would appreciate it if you know any of the translations of the words. I still have yet to download the other dictionary, and if I can avoid the memory space it would be great.
iandicker
Posted 2007-02-08 3:44 PM (#76940 - in reply to #76657)

Tiffany,

Translations:

Suryanamaskara

surya=sun namaskara=greeting or salutation

PADANGUSTHASANA

pada=foot angustha=big toe

"foot big toe posture"

Utthita Hasta Padangusthasana

utthita=extended hasta=hand angusthana=big toe

"extended hand big toe posture"

PADA HASTASANA

pada=foot hasta=hand

"foot to hand posture"

Definitions from David Swenson's book which I borrowed from my library for 3 months for nothing before I got my copy from Santa. Can you get to a library?

He doesn't give translations for samasthithi or urdhva vrikasana but I think samasthithi means equal standing and urdhva means upward.

Regards,

Ian

osutuffy
Posted 2007-02-08 5:51 PM (#76945 - in reply to #76940)

Thanks very much! I have a library, it's a matter of getting someone to take me and paying extortion fees for parking. I am currently looking on ebay for his book. I just won a yoga kit (mat, strap, and bag) for cheap and am hoping to get his book too.
gumbylovesyoga
Posted 2007-02-09 12:19 AM (#76973 - in reply to #76657)

Samasthiti
sama =equal, sthiti =standing

Urdhva Vrksasana
urdhva = upward, vrksasana =tree

upward tree I think is handstand, although in Light on Yoga it is called Adho Mukha Vrksasana, downward facing tree. Maybe somebody else could verify.

I hope this is what you were looking for
osutuffy
Posted 2007-02-09 8:39 AM (#77006 - in reply to #76973)

Yes, thanks. Appreciate the help.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)