YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga slow down my metabolism
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

jingjing2006
Posted 2007-02-07 8:35 AM (#76720)
Subject: Yoga slow down my metabolism

I have been practicing Ashtanga primary series for 8 months. I am doing on 4-5 times a week ,1 hour on average per session. I used to do intense cardio exercise for 1.5-2 hour/ day, 6 days a week. Since I focus on the yoga pratice , I found my metabolism is slower than I was doing cardio. During my cardio exercise , I can burn off 1.5 lb or 2 lb within 8 hours sleep. Right now I only can burn off 0.5 lb -1lb. Also I found my muscle strength is weaker than before as well.

I felt confused. Coz I saw David Sweson has very toned and musclicuar body , why I can't tone my body like him. My diet is pretty healthy, actually i eat healthier after practicing Yoga. I don't like grease and meaty food any more. However I felt Ashtanga yoga didn't help me to reach my goal which is losing few pounds and getting more defined body.

I heard someone became more muscluar through Ashtanaga, why I can't be like that ? Does this yoga work different on different people ? I want to get more insight about this practicse.

Thanks

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Alina76
Posted 2007-02-07 10:23 AM (#76735 - in reply to #76720)
Subject: RE: Yoga slow down my metabolism

Hi Jingjing,

Are you practising the whole series? How far are you going in the sequence? Do you do vinyasa both between poses and sides? How are you doing the vinyasas? Do you modify the series?

I used to teach aerobics, so you can imagine that I used to do cardio almost 7 days a week. I have since stopped all of it and only practice ashtanga 6 days a week. I find it really strange that you have not lost weight, because I am leaner and slimmer than I was when I was doing aerobics. My body fat has fallen since doing exclusively ashtanga in the past year. Before that I just used to do other styles once or twice a week.

I do the full primary series, only half vinyasa between sides however. I have never measured how much weight I burn, but I am definitely stronger now compared to pre-ashtanga and lighter in body weight. I think I'm toned. In fact ask me now and I would tell anyone trying to lose weight to practice ashtanga..

So...do share more info.

jingjing2006
Posted 2007-02-07 10:37 AM (#76741 - in reply to #76735)

Hey Alina

Thanks for the response. It seems so weired. In terms of weight, I am not that heavy ,coz I am only 4 '12' . Right now I am 102 lb now. I did mordified some practice, since I am not flexible. I do most vinyasas as long as I have engough time. I do get some benefit from Ashtanga ,such as I became more calm , my lleft part of body more flexible and I can hold more patience. However, I haven't see any dramaticlly change on my physical. Most of my body fat is accumulated on my upper body, my back , waist and arm are full of fat. Even though i keep practicing, I don't see any change there , no inches loss , no weight loss.

I am not sure what did I do wrong.

Alina76 - 2007-02-07 10:23 AM

Hi Jingjing,

Are you practising the whole series? How far are you going in the sequence? Do you do vinyasa both between poses and sides? How are you doing the vinyasas? Do you modify the series?

I used to teach aerobics, so you can imagine that I used to do cardio almost 7 days a week. I have since stopped all of it and only practice ashtanga 6 days a week. I find it really strange that you have not lost weight, because I am leaner and slimmer than I was when I was doing aerobics. My body fat has fallen since doing exclusively ashtanga in the past year. Before that I just used to do other styles once or twice a week.

I do the full primary series, only half vinyasa between sides however. I have never measured how much weight I burn, but I am definitely stronger now compared to pre-ashtanga and lighter in body weight. I think I'm toned. In fact ask me now and I would tell anyone trying to lose weight to practice ashtanga..

So...do share more info.

Alina76
Posted 2007-02-07 10:55 AM (#76749 - in reply to #76741)

Erm...I think you are at just about the right weight for your height?

Have you done hydrostatic weighing or some other method to actually work out your body fat? It could give you a better idea whether you are going against fat or muscle mass. Its hard to spot reduce..but overall weight loss is possible. The question is, do you actually need it?
jingjing2006
Posted 2007-02-07 11:03 AM (#76752 - in reply to #76749)

Yes, I measured my body fat before. It is around 20%-21%. My goal is to reduce my body fat to 19%. I just want to look slimmer and toner. I don't really need lose weight but I do love to be look toner.

btw, how much calorie should I eat per day? right now i eat 1300-1400 /per day. Is that too little for muscle building or just fine ?

Edited by jingjing2006 2007-02-07 11:06 AM
Miabella704
Posted 2007-02-12 7:36 PM (#77295 - in reply to #76720)

A few things.

How old are you? If you are a teen you need to eat healthy and weight gain may just be your bones, muscles, etc. growing. Are you female? You don't want your body fat percentage too low or it will stop your estrogen production thereby eliminating your periods and putting you at risk for bone thinning.
Stay off the scale! Seriously, use a measuring tape. I have come to the point where I believe that all scales are part of an alliance that conspire and lie to us to make us feel terrible. I'm kidding, of course, but measure your hips and waist. Divide your waist measurement by your hip measurement. 0.7 or lower is a good number, if you are female. Curves rock!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)