YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

upward dog/downward dog
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

osutuffy
Posted 2007-02-08 11:36 PM (#76970)
Subject: upward dog/downward dog

Well, second day of sun salutations went about same as first. Could only get to SunSal B 3 times. But I feel great. Was more of a cardio than I expected yoga to be, but that's ok too.

Questions:
Watching David Swenson video and not sure how I should go about going from upward facing dog to downward facing dog. It looks like in upward dog he has his hands about where his hips are then rolls his toes and keeps hands and feet where they are as he moves into downward dog. Is this where the hands go in upward dog?
Then he gives some advice on what to do if you can not do a position (substitutions). There isn't one for toe roling. I can't roll my toes from updog to downdog. I hate to stop and move my feet, I really like the flow. Anyone have any tips on moving them and keeping flow. Poor little toes
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jonnie
Posted 2007-02-09 2:33 AM (#76993 - in reply to #76970)
Subject: RE: upward dog/downward dog

Hi Tiffany,

In my opinion, David's primary series DVD is the best Ashtanga instructional DVD on the market.

In answer to your questions, more people probably injure themselves transitioning between upward facing dog and downward facing dog than any other pose in Ashtanga, so to begin with it is very important to work slowly and with the bandhas and breath. Use your core stomach muscles.

In up dog, the hands and arms are directly under the shoulders, as you transition to down dog, you may need to re-position the feet the first few times to get the correct distance. There is an element of trial and error involved.

The flow in Ashtanga comes from the breath, so it is totally ok to place one foot at a time, instead of rolling them. Some teachers think that it is actually quite dangerous to roll them (nick was discussing this on another thread). If you really want to toe roll, the only way is to work through the pain and build a tolerance to it. That is why the movement is quite controversial.

Jonathon
osutuffy
Posted 2007-02-09 8:24 AM (#77001 - in reply to #76993)

I looked at some other pics of the upward dog and it looks like the hands are a little further back than the shoulders.
One thing I am not sure of is where to postion the feet in downward dog. The way I learned was to start on my hands and knees with my hands slightly below my shoulders and then push up. But starting from the upward dog I can not tell if my feet are far enough in. Might have to get a piece of chalk and draw a line on the mat marking where they should be.
jonnie
Posted 2007-02-09 9:14 AM (#77012 - in reply to #76970)

In chaturanga dandasana (the lowered press up position) the hands should be placed by the sides of the chest. It is from this position that you push forward and up into upwards facing dog. The forward movement is very important to avoid compressing the lower spine. Depending on the flexibility of your back, the arms may end up slightly in front or behind the shoulders, though in the classic pose the arms are definitely perpendicular to the floor and directly below the shoulders.

With regards to positioning the feet in down dog, it's difficult to give an exact answer because of variables such as height. Look at slowpie's post entitled 'man bites dog' in the general Yoga section, where we have been discussing this same question.
DownwardDog
Posted 2007-02-09 10:58 AM (#77019 - in reply to #76970)

Some people can just roll over the toes, it's just the way they are - some people can't. It's no big deal and like Jonnie says it's the breath that maintains the flow.

There is such a lot to learn in sun salutations, I learn a little more each time. One thing my teachers have always stressed is not to move your hands or feet when you get to downward dog. If you've done chaturanga right and also the transition, they should already be exactly in the right place.

glad you're enjoying yourself!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)