YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Forward bend for Scoliosis
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Joeyee
Posted 2007-02-13 10:33 AM (#77365)
Subject: Forward bend for Scoliosis

Hi!
I've a friend who has minor congenital scoliosis and has been
practising yoga for years without any problem. Only recently she told me she could felt a slight twinge on her right lower back after doing yoga and it only happened one day after that.
She could even feel the pain lying down in savasana.
I suspected forwardbend postures could be the cause of the pain due to her scoliosis bacause I i know forwardbend is not good for people who suffer from slipped disc but not too sure for scoliosis.
So any advises on what postures should and shouldn't do for people who has scoliosis?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-02-13 10:49 AM (#77368 - in reply to #77365)
Subject: RE: Forward bend for Scoliosis

forward bends are actually fine for a number of people--including those with slipped discs--if they are modified appropriately. it's likely that she went too deep into any number of postures--pushed herself to far--and this caused the problem.

i've never had any of my special-back-needs clients have problems with most of the poses that i taught them--everything being deeply modified to suit their needs.

Posted 2007-02-13 5:58 PM (#77423 - in reply to #77365)
Subject: RE: Forward bend for Scoliosis

Or perhaps she was in Paschimotanasana and some "green" teacher pressed her T/L junction to the floor .

On the real though, how about some additional information so this isn't just "coffee talk".
What sort of practice? How many years. How old is this woman? What is her fitness level and weight.
What is the nature of the scoliosis she has? Where and to what degree? Her twinge, did that come in a class, after a class? In which pose? Which poses agravate it? Which are okay?

Slipped discs and scoliosis, while both of the spine, are not the same disorder (Nick????). Therefore the adaptation of the practice (asana) is not the same.

Without more information I cannot say what should or should not be done.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)