YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

it's drawing me in
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Anusara YogaMessage format

OrangeMat
Posted 2007-02-13 1:35 PM (#77397)
Subject: it's drawing me in

The studio where I practice and am doing my teacher training (halfway through now) doesn't have an affiliation with a particular style of yoga. The teacher has trained in so many different styles so we've really been getting a taste of everything ('cept maybe Bikram), though we don't always know which influence is happening where and when. Alignment is very much key in many of the classes though, and I know my teacher has studied some Anusara as well, though I believe her formal background is Integral and Ashtanga.

This is primarily the only studio I've taken class and have been there for two and a half years. Only recently did I venture out to other studios, and one of them was an Anusara studio. I've taken three classes there so far, Level 2 and mixed level two days apart, about a month ago, and then a Level 2 again yesterday. The concept of an immersion weekend is very appealing to me, but I know enough not to take that on at the moment, and will wait until my current training is completed in June. My question is this: about how many "true" Anusara classes should one attend before taking part in an immersion? Also, is it in the immersion that you formally learn all the alignment principles? I found that when I took the Level 2 class, I didn't want to take another other classes there right away; I wanted to let what I had learned sink in a bit first (the only reason I went back two days later the first time was because a friend wanted to come with me, and that's when it worked for both our schedules).

While I enjoy the alignment and precision of Iyengar-inspired classes (haven't taken a "strict" Iyengar class yet; the local Iyengar studio's beginner class doesn't coincide with my schedule), the fluidity of Anusara and concept of shining out really speak to me. I'm nowhere near knowing if I'd want to pursue a training in Anusara after I complete this one, that much I do know. Just considering an immersion weekend is giving me pause enough!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
YoGanesha
Posted 2007-02-13 8:35 PM (#77434 - in reply to #77397)
Subject: RE: it's drawing me in

If you don't mind me asking (i'm a newbie). What is an immersion?
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-02-14 7:31 AM (#77484 - in reply to #77434)

From what I saw on the website of the Anusara studio closest to me that has this program (40 minutes away, ugh), it's a series of workshops that prepare you for their teacher training program. It seems as if you can attend the workshops a la carte, though, meaning that if TT isn't your goal and you just want a deeper understanding of the practice and its principles, you attend as you wish. Kind of like auditing a class with no intent of completing the degree, I guess? I don't know really, which is why I posted my question in the first place: if you're not planning on doing the Anusara TT, how does it feel to do an immersion workshop?

Also, I found on this particular studio's site that you need to attend 30 classes as a requirement. OK, that sheds a bit more light for me. Right now I feel like I'm just dabbling in the style, without a serious intent behind it, basically because I'm currently immersed (great word!) in the TT I'm in now. It's a constant struggle between wanting to know more, learn more, experience more, and restraining myself because I feel my cup is too full (i.e. overwhelmed).

Did that answer your question or just create more?

Posted 2007-02-14 12:03 PM (#77535 - in reply to #77397)

I've seen a few Anusara immersions locally lately and they all state you have to attend the entire immersion, can't pick and choose pieces. (I think they's all been spread over 2-3 weekends.)
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-02-14 3:08 PM (#77560 - in reply to #77535)

Since they list the prices for single sessions, I assumed you could attend single sessions. Guess the best thing would be to call the studio and ask. Thanks!
YoGanesha
Posted 2007-02-14 4:38 PM (#77585 - in reply to #77397)

I think I sort of understand. Thanks
redrox
Posted 2007-02-14 6:28 PM (#77592 - in reply to #77434)

YoGanesha - 2007-02-13 6:35 PM

If you don't mind me asking (i'm a newbie). What is an immersion?

Without knowing the specifics of that particular style or the website/studio being referred to, I simply take it to mean that it is a program designed to "immerse" you in the basic principles of that particular style. I would suspect that if held over one or more weekends, it would be more or less a full time commitment for each weekend involving multiple practice sessions, lecture and discussion classes, demonstrations etc, each day. Meals may even be included and depending on the set-up perhaps even accomodations might be provided. They may also be called "intensives" in other styles perhaps. I have seen/heard that term used as well.
YoGanesha
Posted 2007-02-14 8:34 PM (#77606 - in reply to #77592)

That was a perfect explanation! thanks.
Gruvemom
Posted 2007-02-15 6:21 PM (#77740 - in reply to #77606)

An immersion is for a person who wants to go deeper in their study of Anusara, but not necessarily go to TT.  There is, however, a minimum number of Immersion hours to attend a TT.
What one learns in the weekends (alignment, philosophy etc) is built sequentially.  I don't know of any teacher who will allow a student to take part of an immersion - unless that student has already completed that level and is coming back for a "refresher".
MrD
Posted 2007-02-15 6:40 PM (#77744 - in reply to #77397)

I've had 2 Anusara Immersions, The first without even knowing what the style of yoga did. I was able to pick up a fair amount, but after reading the teacher training manual which describes their basic philosophy as well as approach to asanas, and taking a second training I found I was much better able to understand it. The book is on Anusara.com

I too have to drive about an hour to get to class. If I didn't this probabliy would be my main yoga. I really like the ideas of opening the heart, teaching by principals as well as good alignment. It's given me a lot of freedom.
omjohnnyom
Posted 2007-07-04 9:08 PM (#90700 - in reply to #77744)

I will chime in with Mr. D. Read the Anusara Teacher Training Manual. It will complement what you hear in class. It is a pleasant and easy read, at least the first half. I think you'll find it pleasurable and well organized compared to most texts you may be required to read in your training.

Peace and Love,
--John
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)