YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pranyama
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

danielac
Posted 2007-02-21 12:58 PM (#78335 - in reply to #77666)
Subject: RE: Pranyama

Here is my translation - Pranyama means life force. Breath = Life and vice-versa. Sure it can be dangerous if it is done to an extreme; ie: A totally new beginner doing breath of fire while being held in warrior for a very long time and with constant repitition.. But I'd apply it just like any other element. Is some kind of bomb going to detonate internally if one is introduced to pranyama if they are "not ready for it."

I have been practicing yoga since I was 3 years old. My mom took me to her hatha yoga classes where I had no choice but to participate and be. I am 33 years old so at that time yoga was not prevalent at all. I loved it from the get go - the discipline of staying quiet raised my consciousness and the focus on breath complemented my athletic endeavors. I vividly remember doing alternate nostril breathing. Every day I give thanks to my Mom for bringing this gift to me for it paved the way into my adulthood and I don't know where I'd be if it weren't for yoga. I am not proclaiming that my way is the right way. But I don't see how incorporating pranyama into a yoga class dangerous at all. If the students get it - they get it. If they are not ready for it - in 1 ear out the other. When they are ready the connection will happen.

As a yoga teacher, I incorporate it into my classes. If a teacher doesn't want to incorporate it - that's fine. I am not on here saying they are wrong and as a yoga teacher... As a yoga student - I never had a problem with it and I never experienced anything bad... {I completed teacher trainings with Seane Corn and Jimmy Barkan - both teachers who are trained in lineages that mesh with Patanjali's yoga sutras that incorporates pranyama..Just so you know my background}..

Edited by danielac 2007-02-21 1:14 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)