YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pranyama
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

cerise
Posted 2007-02-15 10:47 AM (#77666)
Subject: Pranyama

Just a thought ... given that one is supposed to master asanas in form and spirit, b4 even thinking about pranayama, isn't it the case that very, very few are the yoga pupils (and teachers) ready to start learning pranayama ?

I am very grateful to my actual teacher for his prudence in this regard, and for teaching "breathing" before "extension of breath".

What is your experience for yourself and with students ?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-02-15 11:17 AM (#77669 - in reply to #77666)
Subject: RE: Pranyama

i teach pranayama from the onset. i find it beneficial to do so. i focus on dirga pranayama first, then ujjayi pranayama, and then after about 2 years, nadis shodhana.
mishoga
Posted 2007-02-15 11:38 AM (#77672 - in reply to #77666)

Expert Yogi

Rahini incorporates many Pranayama techniques. We use Dirgha in the beginning always. At least I do. That is hard enough for a beginner.
Ujjayi, sometimes kumbhaka (not often and not for all populations) purification breathing (just like Nadi Shodhana), Spade, Dragon, Agni Pran..... Sorry if there are any typos.

I can't imagine practicing yogasana without my breath. My breath is the music and my body movements are this peaceful dance. Complete unity!

Edited by mishoga 2007-02-15 11:46 AM
SCThornley
Posted 2007-02-15 2:23 PM (#77705 - in reply to #77666)

I learned Pranayama first.

Posted 2007-02-16 12:26 PM (#77835 - in reply to #77666)

Cerise,

You might be the only person on the board who does not know where I stand with Pranayama:-)
Without too much fanfare...
Breathing is not pranayama though pranayama is breathing.
The forces of prana, moving those forces through the physical body, these are forces of great power with high rates of effect or efficacy. As such I do not teach pranayama to raw begginers. I do introduce pranayama to students in my classes and this is done in the prone position and the prana techniques are simple and safe - Ujjayi or Viloma I.

I do not teach other pranayama and feel it has risk when introdcued before the student has aligned the spine properly in asana. Pranayama works on the nervous system (which is hubbed in the spine). The spine is the targeting system for the arrow of pranayama. If the targeting system is not "true" then the arrow can fly in many directions, most of them unintended.

mishoga
Posted 2007-02-16 3:57 PM (#77848 - in reply to #77666)

Expert Yogi

I want to know where they are going to fly? (Asking an honest question????)

Edited by mishoga 2007-02-16 3:57 PM
mishoga
Posted 2007-02-16 4:59 PM (#77852 - in reply to #77835)

Expert Yogi

purnayoga - 2007-02-16 12:26 PM

As such I do not teach pranayama to raw begginers. I do introduce pranayama to students in my classes and this is done in the prone position and the prana techniques are simple and safe - Ujjayi or Viloma I.

What do you teach in the beginning? Asana practice and alignment first?

[QOUTE] I do not teach other pranayama and feel it has risk when introdcued before the student has aligned the spine properly in asana. Pranayama works on the nervous system (which is hubbed in the spine). The spine is the targeting system for the arrow of pranayama. If the targeting system is not "true" then the arrow can fly in many directions, most of them unintended.

I agree with the slignment of the spine and the energy connection, CNS......
Really though, what is it you believe is going to happen if you practice Nadis Shodhana to early?

Please....educate me!

Edited by mishoga 2007-02-16 5:00 PM
Kym
Posted 2007-02-16 7:25 PM (#77860 - in reply to #77666)

Purna, I have never thought about teaching pranayama as anything but good as long as you have verbally cautioned people to listen to their bodies and cease the practice if they become agitated or short of breath, etc. In other words, if the pranayama practice makes the person uncomfortable in any way, then bring the breath back to a natural inhalation and exhalation. For me to hold back teaching something like that until I feel that their spine is ready seems like big ego. Not only that, but wholly impractical given that I teach in a gym. I also took my first yoga classes in a gym (taught by wonderful techers that I still practically worship) and thinking of them NOT teaching pranayama about breaks my heart. Well, actually, pranayama healed my heart back then and I feel sure that I would not be the same person today without it.

Just my two cents. I'm intersted to hear what you have to say about it. I am someone else on the board that does not know how you feel about pranayama. ;)

Posted 2007-02-17 12:28 AM (#77879 - in reply to #77666)

(Note: for the purposes of this reply I am NOT talking about Ujjayi, Viloma I, Viloma II, or Brahmri
Note: I meant SUPINE pranayama in the earlier post NOT prone)

How do I address the questions raised in this thread and at the same time not offend anyone? I can't. Egos may be bruised but the intention is to directly answer the questions from a Purna Yoga perspective. A kundalini perspective, for example, would be diametrically opposed.

I mention this because some topics in yoga are more heated than others. That heat usually brews to a head when a topic hits close to home. And if I raised legitimate concerns, logical, rational, anatomical ones then how could those teaching these things react? "Hmmmmm that's nice Gordon. Thanks for sharing". "WTF, you're passing judgment how dare you, who are you to ..." or the ever popular "my inner teacher text messaged me last night and said it's okay". Here we go in no particular order:

Mish asked What do you teach in the beginning? Asana practice and alignment first? Raw beginners you mean? They come mostly for asana (and call it relax, feel better, heal, de-stress, etcetera). So they are to be given a sense of the poses, a feeling in the body, an experience. Basic poses and some alignment. Om-ing, eventually the Gayatri, some centering techniques, and standing poses. Why? Because we stand on our spines not our legs and this taxes the nervous system. One need only look around to see the evidence. Standing poses strengthen the legs so they support the torso and the spine can be free, and thus the nervous system can be at ease.

Pranayama is introduced later in the end of level one or beginning of level two classes (generally). And that is done in three or four minute segments with simple Ujjayi or Viloma (breath awareness also needs to be taught and developed). As the student grows and is ready for more, then the teacher determines the nature of that more and and what rate of delivery.

Then she asked I agree with the alignment of the spine and the energy connection, CNS (central nervous system)......Really though, what is it you believe is going to happen if you practice Nadis Shodhana too early?
When this particular pranayama is overdone is can activate kundalini and for most students, in fact every student I've ever instructed that could cause serious havoc in their lives.

The nadis are a very intricate system in the subtle body. This is not to say we can't google a definition from Sivananda or Experiencefestival. I'm talking about the naids as a complex system that feeds, nourishes, regulates, balances the nervous system, internal organs, endocrine system, respiratory system, circulatory system and more. And because pranayama and the nadis can have wonderous effect it makes them sexy, lucrative, enticing, coveted, yes coveted. They are powerful methods no doubt at all.

It is this same power that can, when misused (which means directed at, over done, under done, poorly done or done without counterbalancing) can have detrimental effects on your nervous system, heart, liver, spleen, pancreas, kidneys, arteries, root chakra, spine, brain, reproductive organs... All "power" has the same duality, the duality to do "good" and to do "harm". Magic, Arjuna's arrow, Pranayama, the vote, chemicals, antibiotics...the list is endless. And it may have no effects at all. But, as I've said, if one student is damaged that is too high a number for me.

If pranayama is being taught in a cavalier fashion then it may beg the question of whether it is fully studied and comprehnded. If in the teacher's branch of yoga they feel they have a deep understanding of the nadis, the Shushumna, Vajra, Chitrini, and Brahma AND they understand the Pitta, Kapha, and Vatta spirals (and nature) within the framework of the Shushumna AND they understand the interrelationship between each...then there is a case for that teacher to instruct pranayama.

And Kym has stated the following and is interested in my thoughts...
I...never thought about...pranayama as anything but good as long as you have verbally cautioned people to listen to their bodies and cease the practice if they become agitated...if the pranayama practice makes the person uncomfortable in any way, then bring the breath back to a natural inhalation and exhalation.
Agreed in part. A caution is given to students doing Ujjayi and Viloma about agitation. Like asana there are two sorts of damage in pranayama. One happens immediately - OUCH! And one happens over time with repetition (I need knee surgery). To only caution the student or mentor the student for the first scenario would logically be only 50% teaching - assuming ones believes a single word I'm spewing:-)

If the student is agitated during the actual pranayama of course a return gently to normal breathing is warranted. Absolutely.

However, if the student is doing Kapalabhati or "Breath of Fire" which many say are radically different, then their typical "in the moment" feeling is almost always euphoria as this is the "sense" associated with oxygen deprivation in the brain. And oxygen deprivation is addictive, literally. So is this euphoria Samadhi or is it the result of depriving the brain of oxygen? This is the second point and why it cannot be solely left up to the student with an "if it feels good, do it" mantra.

Yoga students come to us with little or no knowledge and they turn their trust over to us almost completely without checking us out at all. They rely on us to know what we are doing AND what they are doing. Many do not come to yoga knowing they will be offered the cultivation of their inner wisdom or teacher or awareness. And this is one of the beauties of yoga. Students come to move their bodies and they find a life in the process. So we are their teachers and we are to shepherd them and at the same time offer them the tools to cultivate this inner teacher - because it is yogic and pure and I believe in it.

What I have difficulty believing is that a freaked out, over stressed computer programmer can be told to use her inner wisdom and do it well every time. She has no more idea of that (until I teach her) than I do about developing Linux code. So I can give a rudimentary caution but I cannot turn my back for a moment and must watch with an eagle eye to see what is going on in all of the Koshas. If the student is being harmed slowly over time, will even the most keen inner teacher (student) pick that up and if so how soon?

Edited by purnayoga 2007-02-17 12:37 AM
mishoga
Posted 2007-02-17 10:17 AM (#77901 - in reply to #77666)

Expert Yogi

I still want to know what you believe will happen physically if a beginner student is introduced to certain Pranayama techniques to early. I understand your explanations of what is said to be true but where is the hard evidence. I need hard evidence.
I have not seen or heard from any teacher (and I know many) that a student has had a mental breakdown, etc....
The body is pretty capable of handling a lot of stress.

I read all over the internet and in books contradictory information on Pranayama but I see no evidence to support the claims that one can harm themselves.
What harm?
Obviously if your energy channels are aligned one feels incredible with certain breathing exercises but medical evidence explains why some practices should be avoided because they can aggravate pre-existing medical conditions. This makes sense to me.

What doesn't make sense is when Gurus and Swamis make claims without having medical evidence to back up those claims. I really don't like the "because I say so" attitude. I question everything and want concrete evidence.

I also believe it is important for the beginning student to learn to work with their breath. Many people come from the mindset of holding their breath when they are exerting themselves or concentrating. We all know retention of the breath is a big NO-NO in any form of activity.
tourist
Posted 2007-02-17 10:35 AM (#77910 - in reply to #77901)

Expert Yogi

Mish - I will let Gordon continue with his educational posts in full, and I will say that my school of yoga agrees with his completely (and for good reason, we are "related" )

To answer your question re:
I also believe it is important for the beginning student to learn to work with their breath. Many people come from the mindset of holding their breath when they are exerting themselves or concentrating
I will agree in part. New beginners need to learn to BREATHE before they learn to "work with the breath." Let's find an appropriate analogy here - perhaps think about driving a car. Most of us grew up with cars and we rode in them a lot before we ever learned to drive. The first little while when we start to drive, though, we need to put all of our energy into learning how to work the pedals, how much effort to put into steering so we don't oversteer, how to use the mirrors etc. We can't go into heavy traffic or drve on the highway right away. New students need to spend time in asana and just learning how to breathe evenly and smoothly. Then we take 'em out in traffic *with a teacher!* and let them try that for a bit. But even then, not too long or too intense. Would they all crash and burn right away if they went into traffic right away? Probably not. Is it a good idea? No.
mishoga
Posted 2007-02-17 10:45 AM (#77914 - in reply to #77666)

Expert Yogi

I definitely agree with you with that analogy. Understood completely and couldn't agree more but what I don't get is how long do you think someone (a yoga student) should wait to learn
Viloma, Kapalabhati, Agni Pran, cleansing breath, Nadi shodhana?

People who don't have access to classes learn this from books and they are not having heart attacks, serious physical ailments, etc..... that force them to run to the doctors.

Whenever I ask what the consequences of practicing these techniques are, I don't get answers. Why is that? I hear why someone should not do it but I don't see anyone producing medical evidence. I don't see documented case studies. Maybe this questioning of mine comes from a law enforcement background (probably does) but I need to know why one should not don
I know awhile back someone posted about a woman who went to a hospital after a class that practice different Pranayam techniques but that could have been from pre-existing conditions that the person was unaware of.

BBL, have a class. Will check for response.
Kym
Posted 2007-02-17 1:09 PM (#77932 - in reply to #77666)

Gotta run-I only read the part directed to me and none of the replies, but I will later tonight, however, I am moved to say that the following is beautiful.

"Yoga students come to us with little or no knowledge and they turn their trust over to us almost completely without checking us out at all. They rely on us to know what we are doing AND what they are doing. Many do not come to yoga knowing they will be offered the cultivation of their inner wisdom or teacher or awareness. And this is one of the beauties of yoga. Students come to move their bodies and they find a life in the process. So we are their teachers and we are to shepherd them and at the same time offer them the tools to cultivate this inner teacher - because it is yogic and pure and I believe in it."
tourist
Posted 2007-02-17 3:09 PM (#77946 - in reply to #77914)

Expert Yogi

mish - This is one of the things that I accept from my teachers as truth. I do not have studies. But as early as the Hatha Yoga Pradipika there have been warnings that working with the breath is as dangerous as training lions and tigers. A few thousand years of knowledge is proof enough for me. In the Iyengar system we teach viloma and ujjayi to experienced Level I students, although we start with observing the breath in supine position as Gordon mentioned and some students stick with that for a long time. We have recently been given instructions to teach Brahmari, which is cool, because it is kind of fun. With very senior teachers I have worked with alternate nostril breathing and bashtrika - I have been studying for ten years now.
mishoga
Posted 2007-02-17 4:07 PM (#77959 - in reply to #77666)

Expert Yogi

No disrespect to anyone but I need medical proof. There are also claims that certain yoga practices can heal someone of Cancer, the deadliest forms. Call me a skeptic, but I need concrete evidence.

Just because someone says it's so doesn't make it so. If this is in fact true I would like the documents from the medical communtiy to validate these claims.

You see as a fitness professional, education and curriculum is structured according to years of medical research and results. I have that background, so you could see where I want evidence. Just because someone is a world renowned Swami is not enough for me to believe, nor is it enough for your insurance company to except that explanation.

I apologize if this attitude seems unlike me but I do feel just as strongly about this topic as you and Gordon.

Posted 2007-02-18 1:31 AM (#77993 - in reply to #77959)

It's a fine attitude Mish as it is yours and you own it. We each have our "hundred years" and we captain our ship of life as we see fit (mostly). So I'm all good with it. I gave the only response to your question I could give, mine:-)

Use care here. "Just because someone says it's so doesn't make it so. If this is in fact true I would like the documents from the medical communtiy to validate these claims." This begs the same request in return and based on our friendship and exchanges it is fairly obvious you believe in and teach some things that do not have such documentation.

If one believes pranayama is powerful and can effect the human body (systems) in a positive way one must also believe the tool can be misused. Either all things are of Divine or no things. Either the tool is powerful or it is not.

To my knowledge there is no scientific evidence that Kapalabhati cleanses the shushumna nadi. If one is able to produce such research I will read it in its entirety with very deep and sincere interest. As per Mish's request, it should be scientific research (evidence) which includes a control group and double-blind parameters.

The reality is much of yoga wisdom is experientially based (going back perhaps 20,000 years) but not "documented evidence" in the ways some define it in 2007. Do we have documentation that pranayama is proven healthy? (there are a few simple studies but "evidence"?) Do we have documentation that Anjali Mudra has any effect whatsoever? Is there "evidence" that yamas and niyamas are one of eight steps to enlightenment? What about the Chakras. Do they even exist? In these things I believe but not due to evidence. Evidence nourishes the mind energy not the heart energy.

That which we get from the Sutras, the Vedas, the Gita, the Pradipika, Upanishads, these things are all bearing out to be true (once they are scientifically studied). And while "science" has been around predating DaVinci, things were not proven in the same way they are today. How do we account for the fact that Krishnamacharya knew Sarvangasana stimulated the Endocirine system? It came down from his lineage dating back before modern science had identified the Endocrine system. How did ancient yogis know yoga was effecting the nervous system before the nervous system was defined (as we know it)?

Hopefully these sorts of exchanges stimulate thought.

mishoga - 2007-02-17 1:07 PM

No disrespect to anyone but I need medical proof. There are also claims that certain yoga practices can heal someone of Cancer, the deadliest forms. Call me a skeptic, but I need concrete evidence.

Just because someone says it's so doesn't make it so. If this is in fact true I would like the documents from the medical communtiy to validate these claims.

You see as a fitness professional, education and curriculum is structured according to years of medical research and results. I have that background, so you could see where I want evidence. Just because someone is a world renowned Swami is not enough for me to believe, nor is it enough for your insurance company to except that explanation.

I apologize if this attitude seems unlike me but I do feel just as strongly about this topic as you and Gordon.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-02-18 1:46 AM
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-02-18 8:17 AM (#78001 - in reply to #77993)

purnayoga - 2007-02-18 1:31 AM The reality is much of yoga wisdom is experientially based (going back perhaps 20,000 years) but not "documented evidence" in the ways some define it in 2007. Do we have documentation that pranayama is proven healthy? (there are a few simple studies but "evidence"?) Do we have documentation that Anjali Mudra has any effect whatsoever? Is there "evidence" that yamas and niyamas are one of eight steps to enlightenment? What about the Chakras. Do they even exist? In these things I believe but not due to evidence. Evidence nourishes the mind energy not the heart energy.

I know this is not my discussion, but I've really been interested in the topic and the views presented here, and so first of all, thanks! As much as the internet is such a time-suck for me, I really am learning quite a lot these days from all the differing opinions here.

That said, what struck me when I finished reading the above paragraph was how we're fine with accepting on faith (whatever that means) that an aspect of yoga is "good" for us, yet when we're told something from yoga is "bad" for us, it really doesn't sit well with us. "Basic pranayama is dangerous? How can that be so? Show me proof!"

Please understand I'm not pointing any fingers here, I'm just showing how this discussion is making me realize how THE MIND works and reacts to things, and it's not necessarily the topic or context being discussed here. I'm finding that even more interesting than whether nadi shodhana could be dangerous or non-beneficial to a beginning student.

I made the mistake of starting taking classes at my studio with mixed level classes because I was familiar with asana practice from my YogaFit training (please, I know, so don't even bother commenting, not the point here), and in the few level 1 classes I've observed (need to watch more, I know), I really don't know if those practices are taught in the beginner classes. I keep going back to the example of nadi shodhana, because I tend to feel the same way Mishoga does about it.... it's SUCH a simple technique to learn, and it's a BALANCING breath, so how could it be DANGEROUS for a beginner? Maybe the word "powerful" should be substituted for "dangerous", but still, how can being BALANCED be too much?? Hey, I don't get it either, but...

For me, activating the bandhas (lifting the pelvic floor as I learned it from Pilates classes) was SUCH a simple and accessible exercise for me, that now I have energy running rampant in my body, stuff I unknowingly activated several years ago (before starting to practice yoga) that now really interferes with my daily life unless I consciously work on knowing how to direct it. I personally need no documented proof that the chakras exist, the subtle bodies, all that. I also personally need no documented proof that if activated prematurely and without the guidance of a teacher, it is really a very unpleasant and frightening experience, to say the least.

OK, reread what I've written so far, and I feel I need to add a bit more: unless I've misunderstood, I think the directive to hold off teaching pranayama to beginners (i.e. uninitiated students) is not because what happened to me could happen to many other people. I think it's because of the ONE person like me that most shouldn't be exposed to it, yes? And for the record, I really have no idea if my experiences have been affected by learning nadi shodhana within the first six months of beginning yoga practice. I've said before that Kundalini practice scares me, right? And I've ONLY done that under the guidance of a teacher, so there ya go.

tourist
Posted 2007-02-18 10:45 AM (#78008 - in reply to #78001)

Expert Yogi

Thank you Gordon and OM - you have each helped by explaining that which I could not verbalize yesterday. I think this is a really interesting topic - both the pranayama part and the idea that we accept things we agree with based on our "intuition" (inner wisdom, word of our teacher, whatever) but often demand more stringent "proof" for anything that we disagree with or find questionable. I have found myself doing that in the past, for sure.

I will say that I believe there is evidence (I am not going to run around looking it up, but I am sure I have read this) that poor breathing in general can damage the lungs. I am personally convinced that the years of my husband pushing himself in running, biking, swimming etc contributed to his developing "twitchy airways" aka asthma. Especially now that I dance with him so much, I can see and feel how he holds his body and keeps so much energy held tightly inside while at the same time straining to work harder and extend himself more. (I know, you think ballroom dancing is hardly Ironman triathlon ) Anyway, as Gordon says, it really appears to me that if we take on faith that something is very good for us, we should probably accept the concept that it could also be detrimental if the information comes from the same source.

OM - have you told this story fully on the board somewhere? If so, can you point me to the thread? If not, could you elaborate for us? It might be very helpful.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-02-18 12:47 PM (#78014 - in reply to #78008)

Hi tourist -- I've alluded to what's been gone on with me in several of my posts, but no, nothing more detailed than what I wrote in this thread. You can read what I've written here (also here and here if it helps to add more perspective) but there's really not much more to tell. Once I learned the kegel-type of exercise when I was taking Pilates classes and doing home DVDs, I found that I could feel different places within me that I could "contract"; better put, send awareness to. Then I played with that, wondering how high I could direct that upward flowing contraction that wasn't a contraction, and found I could send it up the entire length of my spine, up through my head and feel things "pouring out" the top of my head, kinda like a garden hose that's being held vertically. I could pretty much do that at will (wouldn't recommend anyone trying it while driving, no way ). This was about two years before I ever took my first yoga class, though a year after the experience I described where I cried with such overwhelming despair my very first savasana.

That's pretty much it history-wise. As to my reactions now, I basically operate with too much awareness that sometimes feels like it's got a mind of its own. I get kriyas (twitches, shakes, etc.) in savasana if I don't concentrate on grounding myself, for example. Nothing earth-shattering as it might look on the outside, but still... definitely not fun.

Kym
Posted 2007-02-18 4:14 PM (#78020 - in reply to #77666)

I was thinking about this as I was coming back from a yoga class.

I read a book recently called "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. She travels to Italy, India (stays in an ashram) and to Bali. In Bali, a medicine man told her to listen to what anyone has to say about religion (don't argue) then go home and pray how you want. That resonated with me. I like to argue or understand too much.

I thought, Purna is doing exactly what he's meant to do and teach exactly how he's meant to teach. And Mish (and any of us for that matter) is teaching exactly how she is supposed to. Each of us has a truth and we are doing what we are supposed to, not what someone else is meant to. (Sutras, no?)

Furthermore, like I said before, I needed certain types of pranayama when I was a beginning yoga student so that I could...I can't find the words....heal, grow, be reborn, find faith, and more. That was truly what I needed and it's what I got. When the student is ready, the teacher will appear. I did not end up in a class that held back on pranayama. BUT, someone who needs to be taken more slowly into it will end up in Tourist's or Purna's class. It makes perfect sense to me.

While I am learning a lot in this thread, I would hope that we all end up teaching the way we believe in b/c that's what we're meant to do. Maybe somone who has not made up their mind can land somewhere.
tourist
Posted 2007-02-18 9:03 PM (#78037 - in reply to #78020)

Expert Yogi

Kym - the universe is indeed unfolding as it should But it is still great that we can share info and ideas here as we all still have free will and may need to adjust our personal course from time to time. Fun, isn't it?

Posted 2007-02-18 11:11 PM (#78058 - in reply to #77666)

A goodly exchange.
We're all playing nicely with each other in the sandbox.

A reminder that I began my practice in an Ashram (where I was NOT living) doing Kundalini. Now none of my current "risk management" ideas were or are shared within the Kundalini practice. No shortage of Kriya, Mudra, and pranayama including breath of fire in every single class. I did them and I'm fine - unless you ask my friends in which case all bets are off.

Kym is right. We all have our dharma, our purpose for being here.
And I have chosen to study and teach Purna Yoga. I picked my teacher, not with my mind from a database, but by keeping the rational mind at bay long enough to be directed.

I respect Devi Dyal Singh as much as Aadil Palkhivala as both are my teachers. Had it not been for one, I might not have had the other.

What I think gets pushed back here a bit is that we DO teach pranayama. We do follow along with some of the Iyengar bouncing ball. Pranayama and alignment of asana is exactly what we "borrow" from Iyengar. We are just what we feel is appropriately cautious about a tool for which we have the uttmost respect.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-02-18 11:11 PM
Kym
Posted 2007-02-19 11:47 PM (#78204 - in reply to #77666)

Namaste.
mishoga
Posted 2007-02-20 5:54 AM (#78209 - in reply to #77666)

Expert Yogi

Gordon and everyone else on this post, we are playing nice. I like that. It's all about respect for one another.

I'm sure you're thinking a raw beginner walks into my class and I start them off with Breath of Fire. Not the case. I am careful with my students. I teach many populations and have to be cautious. I have many years (20+) of experience working with large populations. That is hands on practical experience that can not be replaced by reading a book or taking workshops. I have not been teaching yoga for that long but I have been instructing through movement and breath.

I do teach Dirgha from the start (day one). I even give literature that discusses the technique, kind of like homework for them. To me breath just naturally goes hand in hand with movement.

As far as accepting the positive and rejecting the negative, well I guess that's human nature. But there is medical evidence that supports the practice of deep, slow, fluid breathing to benefit lung function and capacity, asthma, healing after surgery, anxiety, giving birth, etc..... (to name a few)

Gordon, you are an intelligent man and I respect your views and philosophy on yoga (you should know that, I've told you so privately). But as I stated earlier, I'd like to rejoice in the fact we are all helping to change the world. I don't focus on whether my technique is better than yours or vice versa. It's not about that to me.

Imagine how the practice of yoga growing in the western world will impact this planet in say the next 20-30 years. I don't believe yoga is fading anytime soon. People are looking for purpose. We are jaded and need to renew. Our children are experiencing the practice of yoga and meditation because our lives are so hectic. This will impact our children's ways, how they live, and treat others. These children are our future.

The fine details of a practice are only important to the singular practitioner (what appeals to someone). Through our personal practice we learn to reunite as one with the intention to live a peaceful, respectful and joyous life. How we choose to get there is not the point, because each journey is personal.
I know some believe that the market will be flooded with uneducated and inexperieced Yoga teachers but I think variety is good. What doesn't work for one person might work for another. And sometimes one teacher will draw a new student in and prepare them for true self exploration so they can move on to another more experienced and intense teacher. Universal energy! There is a reason for all if that is what you believe.
Technically I could be preparing some of my students to move onto you (any teacher here, no one in particular). I've always felt as a teacher that I am leading my student to be independent in their practice. I want to help them find what works good for them and that might mean directing them to another form of yoga such as Iyengar (or any style for that matter).

OK, I made my peace. I stated all I have to say.

Peace out!

Edited by mishoga 2007-02-20 5:59 AM

Posted 2007-02-20 9:26 PM (#78289 - in reply to #77666)

As far as accepting the positive and rejecting the negative, well I guess that's human nature. But there is medical evidence that supports the practice of deep, slow, fluid breathing to benefit lung function and capacity, asthma, healing after surgery, anxiety, giving birth, etc..... (to name a few)

some would just call this breathing and not "pranayama" and I don't think I need scientific proof on the power of breathing:-)
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)