YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Vinyasa out
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

slowpie6
Posted 2007-02-15 4:23 PM (#77726)
Subject: Vinyasa out

Ok, I've posed this question before but it was suggested by Nick that I start a separate thread to address this topic. Jumping in and out seems to be the dominant theme around the forum right now, so here's a third related thread dedicated to it... I'm just going to quote myself:

"Other vinyasa out moves that I am concerned about, such as the transition out of Marichyasana, or Tiryang mukha eka pada paschimottanasana, I keep trying very hard, but cannot successfully get my butt up high enough to keep my straight leg off the ground... And from Bhujapidasana or supta kurmasana, I manage to go into Thittibhasana and then almost make it into bakasana, but typically end up folding my legs too early and losing my grip. All this to say, I'm trying hard, trying even harder not to get frustrated every time I fail. My question here is, should I even be trying? Is the mere *attempt* to do these vinyasas working to develop the strength needed to do them, or should I skip trying these moves and try them again in the future to see if I can do it then? Are there any particular asanas that I can practice that will help develop the core strength needed to do these vinyasas properly, or is trying to do the vinyasas the best way to learn?"

And this all goes right back to Jeda's post just prior to mine about lifting into chatturanga dandasana, and as to whether it is best to step back until one can actually "float" back. I guess I'm asking the same thing, but about these other forms of jumpbacks and transitions...

If this is of any significance, I can tell you that in the past couple of weeks that I've been devoting particular efforts to these vinyasa out sequences, I have progressed positively. And I can sort of feel like I'm on the brink of a mini breakthrough, like one morning I'm going to do something right and suddenly get it, and probably fail afterwards for a long while... So I'm thinking that simply attempting the vinyasas is useful, but I'm sure someone (Nick! who else? ) has other recommendations?

sp
Top of the page Bottom of the page
slowpie6
Posted 2007-02-15 4:29 PM (#77727 - in reply to #77726)
Subject: RE: Vinyasa out

Just noticed something freakish, so thought I would show you, I hope this will work:

(untitled.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments untitled.JPG (15KB - 62 downloads)
Nick
Posted 2007-02-16 3:49 AM (#77791 - in reply to #77726)

Hi SP,
I've got an idea that the way you are being taught is very different to the way I was taught, and also, I'm a lazy git, so I'm not sure that I would have explored the vinyasa in the way that you are, but I'll try and say something helpful.
These balances of which you speak, such as tittibhasana, I'll often demonstrate them, look up, and I'm the only person in the class able to do them-everyone else is sitting there laughing at me I sometimes feel that the different ways that men and women work out provide the clue about why women find some of these pstures so difficult. Even chaturanga dandasana-I cannot remember teaching a single man who could not descend into the posture with a straight body-but with women it's actually quite common not to be able to hold the mid-section. Most of the time, bad positioning makes their arms and core weaker, like the hands are too far forwards, so the elbows flare out. But they feel weak, and give up before they begin. The look of shock on their faces when they find out they can do it is a real treat. Sometimes I feel there may be an element of male-dominance which makes women reluctant to beat men at their own game-just a theory.
In the 'lifting' thread, I mentioned trying to maintain the spine's shape whilst the legs are crossed-it's even harder with postures like tittibhasana-impossible really, but the effort can still be made to straighten the spine, with the added bonus of extra flexibility in the hips as a result. Keep going with that thought-you will never be so advanced that it is not pertinent to your practice-advances can always be made in spinal positioning.
I'm not sure that I could say that attempting these vinyasa will give you the strength to actually accomplish them. What quite often happens is that students develop a faulty technique early on, just so they can get to the next posture-this faulty technique will be one that involves using the least strength-and if you want to get stronger, you keep adding resistance in the form of bigger barbells or more advanced positions (or do the simple ones better)-so I think that faulty technique is responsible for lack of improvement in these vinyasa.
When you do the vinyasa, try to look at which joints de-stabilize-elbows bending as you are about to lift, spine flexing, wrists hurting. Gaining extra control of these joints will add to the sum of the forces that you can use to pull up.
There's also another bandha I use which I have mentioned before-pressing the tongue to the roof of the mouth. I would go so far as to say that yoga done without this action is a waste of time. So TUTALC (tongue up, teeth apart, lips closed). There's different reasons for this, but the muscles under the skull (sub-occipital muscles) are extremly important in determining the position of the rest of the spine-if you lose control of this segment of the body, you lose control of the rest of it. If you look at people doing vinyasa, you will often see the neck posture being absolutely awful, even if only for a moment. This will alter your drishti a little, go with it.
There's lots of exercises to practice-if you do it right, the first series turns into a training ground-dandasana can be performed as an L-plant with the legs off the floor-you can also try lifting the legs towards the ceiling, so you are doing navasana, balancing on your hands. I'm sure most astanga teachers would be pleased to see their students try these variations, which shouldn't disrupt the class.
I'm getting the impression that it's actually time which is the main factor, not strength-I was a lot stronger when I was younger, could belt out a hundred press-ups, could clap my hands behind my back in a press-up-only met one other person who could do that, but I'm still getting better at vinyasa-it's much easier than it was. So you need to be patient-don't give up on your enquiries, they serve you well, but do accept that success comes only after many years of study.

Nick
joscmt
Posted 2007-02-16 10:05 AM (#77810 - in reply to #77726)

Nick- question about pressing your tongue up..
I'll see if I can describe this well.. I can press my tongue up in two different ways- in the first, the tongue is more pointed and most of the pressure is coming down the center of the tongue. In the second, the tongue is flat and I can feel more surface area against the roof of my mouth... which should I be going for?
Also, is it pressing... or just resting the tongue against the roof of my mouth?
tourist
Posted 2007-02-16 10:48 AM (#77823 - in reply to #77810)

Expert Yogi

jos - Beware - I got a very cheeky answer when I asked this question of Nick earlier...

Nick - I think women's lower center of gravity is one issue. And for some reason a lot of women think they don't have arm strength. Silly really when you think of how much we lift children, carry laundry and groceries etc. And my dear spouse, big, strong and powerful in the shoulders cannot do chaturanga for the life of him. Learning bandhas would probably help, but he is just accepting trikonasana as a daily practice so I am not pushing it. He also has a very long torso (6'1" and when sitting looks as tall as many men 6'4"or taller) and I have observed those with short torsos are more able to do the pose on their first try.
Nick
Posted 2007-02-16 11:06 AM (#77826 - in reply to #77810)

Hi MaryLisa,
Just the flat surface, not too hard, find the hollow that's on the roof of the mouth. And I didn't give a cheeky answer to Glenda, that's just her confusing fantasy with reality

Nick
joscmt
Posted 2007-02-16 11:12 AM (#77827 - in reply to #77726)

I'll give it a try today in class...
Thanks for keepin' it clean, Nick
Nick
Posted 2007-02-16 1:36 PM (#77838 - in reply to #77823)

Hi Glenda,
Yes, it's an interesting one, this inability to press-up. I'll tell you what I normally see-the shoulder blades stay fixed on the back of the ribs, which then makes the movement impossible. I think that perhaps students brace the shoulder blade prior to going down, and then have effectively erected a barrier to the descent, so the hips descend first. With a well executed press-up, the shoulder blades swim around on the back of the rib cage. Too often, as students try to follow the instruction to pull the elbows back, the shoulder blade becomes stuck at the position which enables the elbows to be pulled right up to the side of the torso. I think we need to be very careful about the exact position or orientation of the elbows, and try to endorse an elbow movement which allows good shoulder mechanics. A good way to start is on an incline, facing up-this makes it much easier for the student to follow good form. Then you can progress to doing it with the feet at the top of the incline, or in a handstand, for example.

Nick
slowpie6
Posted 2007-02-16 1:58 PM (#77840 - in reply to #77791)

Hi yall, and Nick,

I've also taken notice that in led classes when the teacher is instructing us to do arm balances, many people don't even bother trying and just sit there chuckling, as though they think it's impossible that they'll ever get it (which, quite frankly, ends up making me feel uncomfortable for being able to do the poses at all, like I'm being a show off or something... I don't know why I feel that way). Personally, I've never been one to let apparent difficulty stop me from trying, and have been practicing bakasana, thittibasana and pincha mayurasana on my own for a while now. And I almost find them easy, I can hold them firmly for a good while without wavering (this does not apply to pincha mayurasana). Only, I did the poses in isolation, and never bothered to try to move into or out of the poses in any particular way. Nowadays, I've given up on practicing pincha mayurasana, since I've decided that I should wait to be instructed on how to do it, and then only do it under supervision until I can safely and properly manage it (which I doubt I've been doing on my own). But I've added bhujapidasana. I am not in any way jumping from downdog to thittibhasana in order to initiate kurmasana, or managing to hop right into bhujapidasana without touching the ground, but I'm at least attempting that one. As far as how I am being instructed, well, in led classes, the teachers regularly break down a vinyasa sequence and have us try them slowly, sometimes repeatedly at different times during the class. They demonstrate, explain, and have us try. On several occasions during Mysore I've had my teacher come to me and try to get me to successfully do a transition (in particular bhujapidasana to thittibasana to bakasana to chatturanga dandasana), so there seems to be a focus on trying it over and over in order to eventually succeed. I often just give it a try at random times of the day when I suddenly feel inspired. I'm going to keep in mind the spine adjusting that you've talked about Nick and hopefully this will mean that I am not working from a bad alignment and developping bad habits, although I must say that my teachers have never come to correct anything about my posture in these particular asanas, which might mean that my foundation is okay (or not, who really knows?).

One thing is for sure, I do think that my bandhas, or lack of control over them, are an impediment to my practice at the moment. I'm trying to keep them activated, but I think that I'm doing so in a very gross way right now, and will need a lot of time in order to refine these bandhas and get the benefits that come from them. They are obscure to me because no one can actually show me or tell me when I'm getting it right or not. I don't think I've acquired enough self-awareness to *know* when I am getting it right. The tongue one you described, now that I can do, and will try to integrate it into my practice. I intended to do so this morning, but I was doing my practice with particular concern and attention to my lower back muscles, and sort of forgot about my tongue. Next time then.

If I had to point out perhaps the most unstable joint when I am doing vinyasas, I would have to say it is my shoulders, particularly the right one. They seem to sort of "fall out" of alignment as my body comes forward towards my arms. And half the time, as I try to land in a crosslegged position between my hands, I whack my arms with my knees and knock them out and make them all wobbly. I suppose that won't be a problem once I can land seated with straight legs, but in the meantime, I have bruises on my triceps.

Time. Yeah. It's all about time. I'll try the strengthening exercises you mention, just for the fun of it, but I think you're right that time is the most important variable. I'm not especially rushed to succeed because the longer I keep trying and failing, the more rewarding it will be when I finally do get it.

Cheerio! sp
Nick
Posted 2007-02-16 2:34 PM (#77843 - in reply to #77840)

slowpie6 - 2007-02-16 6:58 PM

Hi yall, and Nick,

"I've also taken notice that in led classes when the teacher is instructing us to do arm balances, many people don't even bother trying and just sit there chuckling"
Hehehe, I'm glad other people have noticed this-it's actually a bit embarrassing as a teacher, performing a movement which the majority of the class will just sit there and laugh at you for doing-makes you feel like they think you are showing off, like you say.

"One thing is for sure, I do think that my bandhas, or lack of control over them, are an impediment to my practice at the moment. I'm trying to keep them activated, but I think that I'm doing so in a very gross way right now, and will need a lot of time in order to refine these bandhas and get the benefits that come from them. They are obscure to me because no one can actually show me or tell me when I'm getting it right or not. I don't think I've acquired enough self-awareness to *know* when I am getting it right."

You say that no one can show you when you are getting the bandhas right-it's actually pretty easy, just by looking at the abdominal wall. Sometimes I'll use the contraction of multifidus on the lower back as a sign that the pelvic floor and the abdominal muscles are activated. If the abdominal wall is increasing and decreasing in circumference with each breath, then bandha is not being used. If the abdominal wall hollows or bulges, then again, bandha is not being used effectively. It's easy to spot, but harder to convince people sometimes-they need to understand that the way they have been practicing has been an illusion, and that's a bitter pill to swallow.

Nick
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)