YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New to teaching Yoga.
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

idance
Posted 2007-02-16 5:42 PM (#77854)
Subject: New to teaching Yoga.

I've been teaching fitness and dance classes for many years and recently got my yoga and pilates certifications as well. Consequently, I opened my own little studio and things are going pretty smoothly. I do have one problem....in one of my yoga classes there are a couple of overly chatty people, that talk to each other during the class. It is really rude. I've asked on occasion for quiet and have written on my class schedule to "refrain from unneccessary noise or talking" during yoga classes. How do other instructors handle this? It has gotten to the point that I almost want to ask them not to come to the class.

It's taking alot of the joy out of it for me and others in the class. Suggestions please!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-02-16 5:56 PM (#77855 - in reply to #77854)
Subject: RE: New to teaching Yoga.

Loretta, congrats on your own place! That being said, it IS your place and your responsibility to make it comfortable for your clients. I'd offer take the troublemakers aside again, privately and tell them firmly, yet friendly to knock it off as they're disturbing others' practice. If it continues, publicly chastise them, but friendly, i.e., "I'm going to have to separate you two." If it still continues, tell them again privately they'd be better off in a gym environment where they can goof around but thanks for the business. When they're ready to practice seriously like adults, please come back.
tourist
Posted 2007-02-16 6:43 PM (#77857 - in reply to #77855)

Expert Yogi

There's always the tried and true "Is this something the whole class needs to know? Perhaps you could share with us." Or put 'em in dog pose until their arms fall off...
Kym
Posted 2007-02-16 7:11 PM (#77859 - in reply to #77854)

That might insult the magpies to tell them they're better off in a gym, but talking would not be appreciated there either!

Oddly enough, I had a few people talking in class last week, which was the first time that happened. I thought it was b/c I had not set the tone properly. Looking back, I was more chatty myself before class & I didn't play my usual "nature sounds" music before class. I wonder what the tone is before class in your studio? Do you have the lights dimmed and soft music on? Maybe a waterfall on? I know those are fluffy aesthetics, but sometimes it can help the western mind slow down and calm before class. Also, during begining pranayama, you can give a little talk about staying present in the moment, slowing down the brain, focusing on the breath, etc. It's hard to do that with chatting, so maybe they will get the point. I'd focus on what you should be doing in class, rather than what you shouldn't be doing. Also, cueing to breathe through the nose and out the nose should remind them to close the lips. ;)

If all else fails, you can stand by them as you teach. That was a teacher trick when taught school. You could continue your lesson, not breaking stride, and usually break up a converstation. After doing that a few times, they should get the hint.

Have they been coming for a long time? Seems like they'd be the type to give it up.

Posted 2007-02-16 7:45 PM (#77862 - in reply to #77854)

Kym's offered a great idea--get right up on 'em and control the situation. If that fails, show 'em the door.

Posted 2007-02-16 8:02 PM (#77864 - in reply to #77854)

Your handling of it has to be in line with what is philosophically you. If you are a punch puller or threat user, or weild sarcasm as part of that philosophy than that might work for you. Again, the method you employ must work for you.

There are a couple of ways I would handle it, and those work for me:-)
When students are talking and I'm talking I stop dead in my tracks. Why? Because I will not talk over others to teach. Period. It's my philosophy and I stand for it and stick to it. Then I wait until they are finished.

I mention in class that we are to turn our awarenss inward and therefore not concern ourselves with the yoga taking place on an adjacent mat in an adjacent body. So that way I can remind them, "stay in YOUR body". You can also direct them. Have them move the breath into a part of their body and make them aware.

I have also revisited the concepts with them during break-outs from asana. If you're teaching vinyasa you can't really do this. But when I bring everyone back up to a seated position I might digress into how important the focus is and how we take our practice seriously but not ourselves.

My teacher once said, while we were all pressing hands into the wall "when the children stop playing"... And it stopped immediately and the focus returned. But he was so accepting of it while telling us it was interfering.

And finally there's the addage students pick their teachers AND teachers pick their students. Just as not every teacher is for every studnt, so to is not every student for every teacher. It's worth mentioning.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-02-16 8:03 PM
Kym
Posted 2007-02-16 11:32 PM (#77874 - in reply to #77854)

You can only edit here 30 mintues after a post? I wrote "you're" instead of "your". I can't stand when that happens! Here I was talking about being a classroom teacher and making grammar errors! Oh well.
tourist
Posted 2007-02-17 10:43 AM (#77911 - in reply to #77874)

Expert Yogi

I fixed it for you Kym I hate it when that happens, too!

In all honesty, I don't get sarcastic with my students as a rule. Gordon's system of just stopping is a good one, also going closer to the students who are talking and raising your voice just a little will sometimes stop them. I think I have also acted as though they had asked me a question and I didn't hear properly "pardon me? Did you have a question?" I think it happens less in a Iyengar classes because we are such mean and strict teachers

Posted 2007-02-18 1:59 AM (#77994 - in reply to #77854)

Don't promulgate that sort of thing GLuv. It feeds the steroetype and the Universe is always lsitening.
tourist
Posted 2007-02-18 10:56 AM (#78009 - in reply to #77994)

Expert Yogi

I bow to you purna I too often revert to humour in an effort to not sound pompous or snotty. Better to go ahead and say that Iyengar teachers and students have superior discipline and respect for the practice and never, ever goof off in class???

Funny thing - when we were new in our dance classes we had classmates gently suggest that we were awfully intense and perhaps needed to lighten up a bit and joke with the teacher etc. Frankly, we felt that we had come to class to learn and not to socialize. There are dances every weekend where we can schmooze and joke around - class did not seem the place for that. And of course, we are a Virgo and a Capricorn so we don't tend to like to pay money for something and not get what we paid for

Posted 2007-02-19 11:29 AM (#78115 - in reply to #77854)

well, in some classes, i allow chattiness. but in most classes, i simply say "yoga does not require comment at this time."

Posted 2007-02-19 12:45 PM (#78128 - in reply to #78009)

No, perhaps better to give an accurate portrait rooted in balance. Not too funny (like you) nor too obnoxious (like me). While not an iyengi, there is humor in my class and I'm guessing we might let a few things go that would not in a standard Iyengar session. I've been to one or two.

But I will not talk over students. It's not fair all the way 'round. I have to work harder, students can't hear, and the chatty ones then need to be re-instructed because they were not listening - which takes me away from others who were.

Which of you is the Virgo please?

tourist - 2007-02-18 7:56 AM

I bow to you purna I too often revert to humour in an effort to not sound pompous or snotty. Better to go ahead and say that Iyengar teachers and students have superior discipline and respect for the practice and never, ever goof off in class???

Funny thing - when we were new in our dance classes we had classmates gently suggest that we were awfully intense and perhaps needed to lighten up a bit and joke with the teacher etc. Frankly, we felt that we had come to class to learn and not to socialize. There are dances every weekend where we can schmooze and joke around - class did not seem the place for that. And of course, we are a Virgo and a Capricorn so we don't tend to like to pay money for something and not get what we paid for

Edited by purnayoga 2007-02-19 12:47 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-02-19 5:37 PM (#78176 - in reply to #77854)

idance - 2007-02-16 5:42 PM

I've been teaching fitness and dance classes for many years and recently got my yoga and pilates certifications as well. Consequently, I opened my own little studio and things are going pretty smoothly. I do have one problem....in one of my yoga classes there are a couple of overly chatty people, that talk to each other during the class. It is really rude. I've asked on occasion for quiet and have written on my class schedule to "refrain from unneccessary noise or talking" during yoga classes. How do other instructors handle this? It has gotten to the point that I almost want to ask them not to come to the class.

It's taking alot of the joy out of it for me and others in the class. Suggestions please!

Yes, I would do what came to your mind. Actually, I shall tell them I give you three chances. After the third chance, I shall ask you to quit the class. On the fourth instance, I shall give their fee for that class back, and ask them to leave the room.

tourist
Posted 2007-02-19 10:28 PM (#78198 - in reply to #78128)

Expert Yogi

purnayoga - 2007-02-19 9:45 AM
Which of you is the Virgo please?

Oh, that would be me!
mishoga
Posted 2007-02-21 5:41 AM (#78307 - in reply to #77854)

Expert Yogi

I have this problem with one particular student in my largest class. She is disrespectful to me and all the students. She doesn't get what it's all about.
I wish I could say I controlled her but I never know how'll she'll behave.
She let her phone go off in class and proceeded to tell the whole class (40+ students) she doesn't know how to put it on vibrate. She complains to people next to her when she's having a difficult time with a pose (she also does not listen well), she makes lots of noise disturbing the people around her. Mstudents complain of her behavior. She seems to not enjoy yoga. I don't know why she continues to participate in my class. She does have a bit of a reputation in this gym.
She was getting me upset and I didn't like the way my emotions would jump when she walked into the studio.
I finally gave a speech in the beginning of class about chatting, phones, walking in and out of class, etc..... All the while I stood directly in front of her looking down into her eyes. She understands now. It she starts to talk while everyone is focused, I immediately walk in front of her to keep her in check. I can not ask her to leave but I can make her play by the rules.
I think she's getting it. I've been paying more attention to her form and alignment, although she may think I'm picking on her but she returns every week.
I feel like she is a lesson for me. I need to learn from her so I am thankful that she presents a situation that I must work on within and refine my client relation skills.
Quite honestly she could come into the next class and cause havoc. I have to be mindful with her at all times. That's life.

Edited by mishoga 2007-02-21 5:46 AM

Posted 2007-02-21 5:47 AM (#78308 - in reply to #78307)

Mish--I think we share the same student--she must have a private jet to get back and forth between NY & TX so quickly. Like you, I've come to accept she needs a lot of attention regarding yoga and socialization. Also, I never know what's going to be her "thing du jour." After working all day, I want to enjoy the teaching, not have to be her father figure BUT c'est la vie.
Orbilia
Posted 2007-02-21 6:41 AM (#78310 - in reply to #78307)

Mish, you're amazing!

My classes tend to work this way :

-Quiet whist we sit cross-legged turning our focus inward at the start.
-Quiet whilst our teacher talks.
-Questions/comment from students when she's demonstrating using a student (my teacher often asks us to critique each other when we're all doing disaster-asana).
-A bit of low chat when we're doing partner work as, well, we'd not be partners otherwise.
-A little low chat when an experienced student see's someone less experienced struggling provided the teacher's not talking.
- Silence during savasana except for my tutor's instructions on relaxing / pranayama.

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2007-02-21 6:49 AM

Posted 2007-02-21 8:13 AM (#78317 - in reply to #77854)

i've had a student or two like that. i point out how talking is a distraction for them. that is, i say "i've noticed that when things get challenging for you, you start to run your mouth. why not try focusing on your breath instead of distracting yourself and disrupting others?"

i've found that works if 'yoga does not require comment at this time" doesn't. it's usually not a problem. the noisiest person in the last class i taught--which was one in my home where someone was noisy--was october j. one of the clients had brought him a treat (raw scones), and he was clucking away while eating it. everyone was cracking up!
idance
Posted 2007-02-22 10:55 AM (#78393 - in reply to #78308)

The person in question is just so chatty. I finally had to just announce at the beginning of the class to "focus on what your doing". Still in the middle of the class she is chatting away and another student told her to pay attention.

2 people have complained about her. She's a nice person otherwise but oh boy!

Thanks for the suggestions.
idance
Posted 2007-02-22 10:58 AM (#78394 - in reply to #78307)

I made it a policy from the first day in my studio NO CELL PHONES! In any class. I can't stand that! It's just plain rude to take calls while taking a class.

40+ students? WOW, that's a huge class.

mishoga - 2007-02-20 2:41 AM

I have this problem with one particular student in my largest class. She is disrespectful to me and all the students. She doesn't get what it's all about.
I wish I could say I controlled her but I never know how'll she'll behave.
She let her phone go off in class and proceeded to tell the whole class (40+ students) she doesn't know how to put it on vibrate. She complains to people next to her when she's having a difficult time with a pose (she also does not listen well), she makes lots of noise disturbing the people around her. Mstudents complain of her behavior. She seems to not enjoy yoga. I don't know why she continues to participate in my class. She does have a bit of a reputation in this gym.
She was getting me upset and I didn't like the way my emotions would jump when she walked into the studio.
I finally gave a speech in the beginning of class about chatting, phones, walking in and out of class, etc..... All the while I stood directly in front of her looking down into her eyes. She understands now. It she starts to talk while everyone is focused, I immediately walk in front of her to keep her in check. I can not ask her to leave but I can make her play by the rules.
I think she's getting it. I've been paying more attention to her form and alignment, although she may think I'm picking on her but she returns every week.
I feel like she is a lesson for me. I need to learn from her so I am thankful that she presents a situation that I must work on within and refine my client relation skills.
Quite honestly she could come into the next class and cause havoc. I have to be mindful with her at all times. That's life.

Edited by idance 2007-02-22 11:00 AM
MrD
Posted 2007-02-22 2:35 PM (#78423 - in reply to #77854)

Oh, and the worst has to be cell phones ringing during Savasana.

Does anyone allow questions during the session.

Edited by MrD 2007-02-22 2:36 PM
idance
Posted 2007-02-22 3:44 PM (#78439 - in reply to #77854)

I welcome questions during the class, I just don't like people to carry on entire conversations for the whole hour!

Posted 2007-02-23 5:08 AM (#78500 - in reply to #77854)

Allow questions? Of course. Would it be teaching or dictating (as in dictation not as in Musalini) without the welcoming of questions? I don't allow them, I encourage them. How else will students learn - just by me thoroughly prattling on about this and that?

They should have questions. It means they are paying attention, interested, and learning.

Cell phones in class? You're joking right?

Edited by purnayoga 2007-02-23 5:08 AM
mishoga
Posted 2007-02-23 5:24 AM (#78502 - in reply to #77854)

Expert Yogi

Funny story about cell phones.
This woman I mentioned prior, with the cell phone going off and she said she doesn't know how to turn it on vibrate.
I was so annoyed as was everyone else at that moment because the phone rang like 10 times. I almost said something right that very moment, felt my blood pressure rising. I'm so glad I didn't because about 10 minutes later into the class, my phone rang. I was so embarrassed. My phone never rings. It's an emergency phone for my children. I don't even know who it was because I picked up and hung up real quick, turning the phone off. I'm happy I didn't say anything about the phone at that class. The following one I did.
I shut my phone now (my children have the direct # to each gym/studio and know when and where I'm teaching) and ask all to put their phone on vibrate.

Personally I think it's unreasonable to ask people to tuen their phone off. What is it's a emergency.
If I were to get a phone call it would be an emergency from my children or husband. Vibrate is fine with me and excusing yourself quietly to answer is alright too.

Yeah 40 is a lot but 50 is even more. I find it overwhelming to have classes that large with such mixed participants and levels.

Gotta go to work. Have a great weekend people. Off for some snow loving fun with the family. Caio!

Edited by mishoga 2007-02-23 5:25 AM

Posted 2007-02-23 8:16 AM (#78508 - in reply to #77854)

on asking questions--

yes, questions are allowed in class, and at the beginning and end of class i ask if there are any questions from the previous class or home practice (if it's the beginning) or if there are questions from what we just practiced or any general questions (after class). during class, questions are usually short and sweet "what do you want me to do?" sorts of questions. occassionally, they'll have me repeat a title or word. so, it's usually quick. when they ask me about october j, i know they're trying to distract me. so i give some of his wisdom and move on.

on cell phones--

i do ask people to turn them off. very few people use cell phones for real emergencies, and most emergencies are managed anyway that their attendance isn't necessary *right then* or that it would help if they knew *right then*. meaning, in the time before cell phones, people simply couldn't get ahold of you 24-7, nor was there an expectation of this. emergencies happened and you got the info when you got it, and it wasn't terrible.

so, i ask people to turn their phones off. but, there are exceptions. a few of my clients have very special needs children. usually, when in class they turn it off, knowing that their children are in good health and in good care while they are away. when these children are ill and the care may nto be entirely equipped to handle the illness, these mothers like to turn their phones onto vibrate or where they light up rather than make a noise. i also have a number of 'on call' doctors who use this method--wanting to get a practice in even though they're 'on call' to the hospital. they keep their phones right next to their mat, on vibrate or light up. and if they don't know how to do it (i don't, for example), i'll ask someone to help them learn.

with this, there is often opportunity for another layer of help in this situation. when i worked in a studio, my mother worked the front desk. whenever a doctor or one of these parents came in, my mother would take and 'watch' the phones. she would then go into the room and get the person in question--which is less disruptive than the other things. she would tell the student to leave the classroom and get their phone messages, and she would begin to clean up their area. usually, they would have to leave, they would be getting ready to leave while my mother cleaned up the area and then they would meet out front and be off on their way. in the four years that i worked there (i also did this, as did other desk workers who would not be taking class), i had this occur twice. doctors on call and moms who might have real emergencies were the only ones who did this, and they were in class often two or three times a week.

so, i really dont' think that there are too many emergencies out there that require interrupting class--save these sorts of emergencies. in most cases, the emergencies aren't emergencies, or they can't be dealt with by you (eg, car accident, which is better handled by police, fire, and ambulance, and you can't get there fast enough to be effective anyway, and you'll only be waiting for info in the hospital anyway--should that be necessary). so, might as well finish yoga class.

i have a cell phone, it's off 98% of the time. i check messages throughout the day and have certain 'phone hours' where people know to call me. i rarely get phone calls; i get about 2-3 messages a week. we don't really have any emergencies around here, and if we did, then my sister is 5 hours away, my mother and father are 2.5 (home) and 4 (work) hours away and i wouldn't be able to get to them "in time" to help anyway. it would only be informing, and then i would have to pack up and make the trip. so, it's not like i can have immediate response anyway.

might as well finish meditation/yoga/dishes before heading on my way.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)