YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Poll where are you in poses poll
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

where are you in poses poll
OptionResults
working on breathing0 Votes - [0%]
working on Sun Salutation A1 Votes - [7.14%]
working on Sun Salutation B0 Votes - [0%]
fundamental standing poses1 Votes - [7.14%]
just started primary5 Votes - [35.71%]
can do primary2 Votes - [14.29%]
just started intermediate3 Votes - [21.43%]
can do intermediate2 Votes - [14.29%]
just started advanced0 Votes - [0%]
can do advanced0 Votes - [0%]
Can do poses so well that my kids will be born pros :D0 Votes - [0%]

osutuffy
Posted 2007-02-17 6:19 PM (#77966)
Subject: where are you in poses poll

I am curious on where we are in the poses. Like to know how many beginners, intermmediate, and advanced we have. Like to know how many beginners are out there with me

Just mark the level that you are comfortable with. Sorry if this has been done before.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DownwardDog
Posted 2007-02-17 6:44 PM (#77969 - in reply to #77966)
Subject: RE: where are you in poses pol

Hi,

I'm sorry but I don't like this poll.

The reason is that it totally goes against any moral ethic in ashtanga, or even yoga. Where you're at in a series means nothing, and measuring your success by seeing where you are in the series will just make you miserable and egotistical.

Even judging at what level everyone is can't be useful - How do you define senior or advanced? And we are all beginners.

How about people who have injuries or chronic pain or something who practice for years and will never do certain postures because of their handicap?

Where you are in poses isn't really a measure of anything.

Sorry!

osutuffy
Posted 2007-02-17 7:34 PM (#77973 - in reply to #77969)

I didn't say let's measure everyone. I was just curious to know what everyone was up to. I'm not competing or anything. As I said I was curious to know how many beginners there are here with me.

I didn't think about injuries preventing people from doing certain series. Of course people are free to put why they are only doing a series.

Do you have some kind of a personal problem with me? Seems like you are quick to point out that I am wrong alot. This is not ok with you, yet asking someone why they practice yoga with almost all negative answers was a good topic for you.

Actually, I am just done posting in general. I no longer know my password and email is one that doesn't exist.

Think before you look for negativity in a person. Sometimes people are just curious.

If you want to bother replying to this, that's up to you, I am no longer going to get upset by bothering to read what you post.

Edited by osutuffy 2007-02-17 7:42 PM
Cyndi
Posted 2007-02-17 8:17 PM (#77975 - in reply to #77973)

Expert Yogi

I'm really curious Tiffany,  What is the point of these questions??  Like, honestly ask yourself, Is this information really going to enhance my yoga practice??  Can I really obtain anything by this knowing??  What benefit can I possibly obtain from knowing where another person is at in their yoga practice??  If I were you, I'd be asking more important questions such as...How do I obtain enlightenment?  What do I need to do to obtain liberation from this human condition?

For what its worth...Yoga is a process, it is NOT about competition. Besides, not everything is what it may seem.  What may be advanced to someone, really may be a beginner to another.  What may be a beginner to someone else, may be advanced. 

Best wishes and Good luck on your yoga journey.  May you find some peace with it all, whatever and whereever you may be on your path.  I'm in agreement with Downward Dog about this poll.  I didn't answer the questions as they really don't apply to my practice. 

OrangeMat
Posted 2007-02-17 8:23 PM (#77977 - in reply to #77975)

Cyndi - 2007-02-17 8:17 PM

Best wishes and Good luck on your yoga journey.  May you find some peace with it all, whatever and whereever you may be on your path.

Beautifully said. Thank you, Cyndi.

tourist
Posted 2007-02-17 9:36 PM (#77986 - in reply to #77977)

Expert Yogi

Iam not even slightly offended by this post and I am curious why other people are. First of all, it only applies to Ashtangis, so all others need not apply. Second of all, I understand that Tiffany is curious about how many beginners and how many seasoned practitioners are around. This type of question might bring in lurkers who just want to be counted. As for the idea that it doesn't matter where you are in practice, then why does it matter that someone has asked? I think we all need to take a little breath here and remember that all of us were once eager beginners at something, and had an insatiable need to talk about it. Please do not discourage newer members from asking questions! If you must reply in a manner that might be construed as negative, use language and wording that you would use to a person face to face - kind, courteous, gentle (especially if the reply really must be negative) and imagine you might wind up with this person on the mat next to you one day.
joscmt
Posted 2007-02-17 9:57 PM (#77989 - in reply to #77966)

Well, said tourist!! Thanks for your reply!
Nick
Posted 2007-02-18 2:46 AM (#77995 - in reply to #77989)

Yes, well said Glenda. You may not like the poll, but your reactions are exposing your own negativity, and say nothing about Tiffany. Give the girl a break, please.

Nick
DownwardDog
Posted 2007-02-18 5:31 AM (#77996 - in reply to #77966)

I'm sorry you took that personally, I don't often make a fuss about anything here, but this idea is something that many teachers have been trying to get students to move away from for ages, so it seems a bit like "*sigh*, not again", on my part, rather than saying that you're a bad person or something like that.

I'm not offended, I just don't like to take part because it goes against what I believe in, but I don't believe anyone else should refrain if they want to take part or whatever.

I don't remember ever being negative to you. I certainly don't have a problem with you, I amswer lots of posts here.

BTW when I used "you" in my original post, I didn't mean you personally, I meant us all in general.

When someone disagrees with me, I don't take it personally, we just have different points of view or approaches. And I've always been forthcoming to beginners here as well.

And I was corteous in tone but it isn't always easy to convery that through this medium as you all know.

I'm not taking this personally either.

Edited by DownwardDog 2007-02-18 5:46 AM
DownwardDog
Posted 2007-02-18 6:14 AM (#77997 - in reply to #77966)

And I've been through all of your posts and I can't for the life of me find anywhere where I've been mean to you or rude, or difficult or accusing or unpleasant ot etc...

There was your one post about the sanskrit where I simply wrote "agreed" to Jonnie's comment about maybe not worrying about the sanscrit for now. That's the only instance where I could find something that you could have taken personally, and I seem to remember that you did.

I'm sorry but I really can't see why I would have offended you.

jonnie
Posted 2007-02-18 8:16 AM (#78000 - in reply to #77966)
Subject: RE: where are you in poses poll

Is it a full moon or something?

Don't worry Downdog, i still love ya
joscmt
Posted 2007-02-18 8:40 AM (#78002 - in reply to #77966)

sorry, Jonnie- waxing crescent tonight... I got my full moon a couple of weeks ago with a crazy staff and guests!
DownwardDog
Posted 2007-02-18 11:54 AM (#78011 - in reply to #77966)

Thanks Jonnie!

osutuffy
Posted 2007-02-18 8:19 PM (#78031 - in reply to #77969)

DownwardDog - 2007-02-17 6:44 PM

Hi,

I'm sorry but I don't like this poll.

The reason is that it totally goes against any moral ethic in ashtanga, or even yoga. Where you're at in a series means nothing, and measuring your success by seeing where you are in the series will just make you miserable and egotistical.

Even judging at what level everyone is can't be useful - How do you define senior or advanced? And we are all beginners.

How about people who have injuries or chronic pain or something who practice for years and will never do certain postures because of their handicap?

Where you are in poses isn't really a measure of anything.

Sorry!

As I said, I wasn't measuring people. Asking WHAT sequence someone is working on is not much different than asking what type of yoga someone practices.
Why ask someone what type? Curiousity, to see what people are doing and maybe why they want to. Why ask someone what sequence? Curiousity, to see who is working on what. I am not even asking who, just seeing how many of what. I'd like to know how many fellow yogis are out there working on Sun Salutations. Not any different than looking around in a classroom to see how many people are in it with you. I wasn't asking are YOU advanced, but if you were working on the advanced series, that's what it is titled. How about who is working on series 3? Or the name of the third series in Sanskrit (sorry don't have the name right now).

Is there anything wrong with saying hey, I just started too? Whether it be I just started on the first, second, or third.

Do you go into a class and not talk to any one about your practice? If you found out someone wsa taking classes at the same place you were, would you tell them it was not ok to ask what series you were on? Maybe they were just asking to know if you were going to share a class.

Posted 2007-02-18 8:43 PM (#78032 - in reply to #77966)

Doesn't matter if I say something without the intention of causing offese; however, if offense is the result, I feel I've done something wrong, i.e, communicated ineffectively or on a subconscious level, intoned something not intended. Likewise, if I see/hear read something that offends me, I look to myself as to why. Then, if there is harm caused. FInally, is that person entitled to say/write whatever as a matter of individual free speech. In my view, Tiffinay, I see nothing wrong with your poll in fact, it shows an inquisitive mind. If some are offended, too darn bad. However, since it's on a public forum, one always has to be prepared for disagreement.
osutuffy
Posted 2007-02-18 8:49 PM (#78033 - in reply to #77975)

Cyndi - 2007-02-17 8:17 PM

I'm really curious Tiffany,  What is the point of these questions??  Like, honestly ask yourself, Is this information really going to enhance my yoga practice??  Can I really obtain anything by this knowing??  What benefit can I possibly obtain from knowing where another person is at in their yoga practice??  If I were you, I'd be asking more important questions such as...How do I obtain enlightenment?  What do I need to do to obtain liberation from this human condition?

For what its worth...Yoga is a process, it is NOT about competition. Besides, not everything is what it may seem.  What may be advanced to someone, really may be a beginner to another.  What may be a beginner to someone else, may be advanced. 

Best wishes and Good luck on your yoga journey.  May you find some peace with it all, whatever and whereever you may be on your path.  I'm in agreement with Downward Dog about this poll.  I didn't answer the questions as they really don't apply to my practice. 

As I said a minute ago, what is wrong with asking? There are post here that people have asked what type of yoga do you practice and even a why do you practice your type. What made you decide to do it? Maybe it would have been less offensive to you if I had labeled the series in Sanskrit. But I am not the one that named them beginner, intermediate, or advanced.
What's wrong with asking who is working on what I am working on?
As I replied to downward dog, you;ve never been to a studio where you found a friend was going to as well, and asked what class they were in to find out if they might be sharing a class with you? Is there something wrong with sharing what you are working on?

As for what can I possibly benefit from this question or what can I possibly obtain from this knowledge?
Is there something wrong with small talk? You have never asked a question in your life that wasn't intended to help you in some way? I think if I went around asking questions that were only intended to help myself that it'd be a little self centered. What's wrong with getting to know people and what they are doing in their life? Sorry if my wanting to get to know some people here is not considered important to you. I tend to find people in my life very important and like to take interest in them.
Hmm, I should only ask questions on how I can become enlightened. Forgive me if I am wrong here, but if anyone had the absolute answer to that, it would make things a little too easy. Becoming enlightened isn't as simple as asking someone how. It takes a little work and self discovery. We all have our own paths on how we'll reach it.
Yes, yoga is a process not a competition. I was just wondering who had just started working on the process with me. Not who is as lowly as I am. If I was concerned about competing, I would have already quit, I mean if it was a competition, there are others out there that "won" long before I was born, and that would make anything I did a consulation prize. I see it as a journey, and was wondering who was fortunate enough to discover this journey with me.

As for who is advanced and who is not, there is always someone who is more advanced than you or me. But this doesn't mean they're better, it means that great, I know someone who can help me along in my journey. Anyone here feel they had a good teacher? Anyone glad they were able to work with a teacher and feel that their lives were enhanced by knowing a teacher? If you've been working on Sun Salutations, great, maybe we'll be able to help each other out.

So, I guess what I can possibly obtain from this and how can I be better enlightened? Well, I might be able to find people that can help me because they were once at the stage I am and had once had the same problems with a pose. Or that, as some have mention on other posts that they have found teachers that have been in the advanced series for so long that they have forgotten how to best teach a newbie, that I can find a fellow newbie that might be experiencing the same problem that someone who hasn't worked on the series I am working on in so long that they don't understand what I am talking about.
osutuffy
Posted 2007-02-18 8:56 PM (#78035 - in reply to #78032)

Bruce - 2007-02-18 8:43 PM

Doesn't matter if I say something without the intention of causing offese; however, if offense is the result, I feel I've done something wrong, i.e, communicated ineffectively or on a subconscious level, intoned something not intended. Likewise, if I see/hear read something that offends me, I look to myself as to why. Then, if there is harm caused. FInally, is that person entitled to say/write whatever as a matter of individual free speech. In my view, Tiffinay, I see nothing wrong with your poll in fact, it shows an inquisitive mind. If some are offended, too darn bad. However, since it's on a public forum, one always has to be prepared for disagreement.

I can understand that. Once in a dog forum I mentioned something that was going on with my friend and her cats, and referred to her as a crazy cat person with jk beside it. I immediately got jumped on by people that were offended and said that a was stereotyping and that just because we were on a dog forum doesn't mean that they didn't also have cats. I started getting hate emails and had to hide my email address. They were so intent on jumping on me, that they had missed the part where I had said I have 4 cats and I'm proud to be a crazy cat person too.

I did see something that might have been offensive, and I tried to go back and change it, but as soon as I hit submit I could not edit the choices for the poll. I wanted to go and change the part that said my kids will be pros to my kids will come out in downward dog position.
osutuffy
Posted 2007-02-18 8:58 PM (#78036 - in reply to #77997)

DownwardDog - 2007-02-18 6:14 AM

And I've been through all of your posts and I can't for the life of me find anywhere where I've been mean to you or rude, or difficult or accusing or unpleasant ot etc...

There was your one post about the sanskrit where I simply wrote "agreed" to Jonnie's comment about maybe not worrying about the sanscrit for now. That's the only instance where I could find something that you could have taken personally, and I seem to remember that you did.

I'm sorry but I really can't see why I would have offended you.

Well, maybe if I had asked what series people were working on in Sanskrit instead of using the terms beginner, intermediate, and advanced you wouldn't be so concerned with it seeming like a competition.
osutuffy
Posted 2007-02-18 9:10 PM (#78038 - in reply to #77986)

Thanks Tourist, joscmt, and Nick

You know that when you are just beginning something, it is easy to feel a little self conscious and doubtful of yourself. It is EASY to look at someone who is great at something and say I quit, I'll never be that good. It can be very hard to look at someone doing something great and say hey, can you give me some help.
I was more or less intending this question as a way to say hi to all of us that just discovered yoga. Along with saying hey, to all of you that have been where we are, we're going to need your help.
People on series one can use the help of people that are comfortable with it, same with series 2 and 3. As well as people that have just started a series might help someone that is already comfortable with that series or the next one remember what it was like for a newbie. Being reminded of the difficulties you might have had a long time ago and forgotten might help you be a better teacher. Or you might learn of difficulties someone can have that you did not have.
Nothing wrong with saying oh yeah, I remember when I was working on that this is how I did it. Nothing wrong with saying I am having a problem help me.
YoGanesha
Posted 2007-02-18 10:02 PM (#78042 - in reply to #77986)

ITA!! tourist

I was wondering why people were so upset. it's less yogaish to react the way you people just did than to ask that question.
This is the perfect example of what I meant about how nasty people can get here over nothing in this forum. Actually, this was the very first impression I had when I joined here. Good thing I decided to stick it out because there are quite a few very nice, understanding and patient members.

The person that asked the question is a beginner, (like me). It's very natural to have a curiosity on all aspects of yoga.

Some of you people need to chill out, seriously.

Edited by YoGanesha 2007-02-18 10:08 PM
slowpie6
Posted 2007-02-18 10:06 PM (#78043 - in reply to #78038)

Hi osutuffy, I've been watching this post and choosing to stay out of the discussion because I don't like to get in the middle of things, but since you have returned to reply, I decided what the heck, why not? The thing is I feel that this whole disagreement is rather silly in the end, and I imagine that in a month or two, looking back, it will seem like a small matter to you and all concerned. I've also had less than pleasant interactions on this forum before, but decided to let it go and have been happy to continue posting since then. I've not been around the forum much longer than you have but I must say I am surprised that Downward Dog should have made you feel this way because in my experience I've had wonderful interactions with him (or her? I don't even know that!) and found him to be very helpful and friendly. But sometimes even a person meaning well might be misconstrued either because they expressed themselves wrongly or because they touched on a sensitive spot for the other.

Since I don't really think we've interacted much before, I'd like to welcome you to the forums and I'd be more than happy to talk about ashtanga with you at any time. I am an ashtanga newbie myself, and in fact you sound about as excited as I did when I started (that was on Jan 3rd). Prior to that, I was practicing at home on my own using DVDs for about 9 months. I didn't reply to the poll because I don't know that any of the answers apply for me really, and I much prefer talking about where I am at and the hurdles I am facing daily (and by talking, I mean til I'm completely out of breath and have put everyone around me to sleep) than being a percentage on a poll. You can read about my latest progress in my "Victory" post that I wrote earlier today.

Anyways, I hope this all blows over nicely and that you feel welcome to ask any question you wish here and find yourself making more friends than otherwise. I look forward to reading all about your progress and I'm rooting for you. I understand that you are going at this on your own at this point, so I hope you do continue to actively participate in the forums because I can tell you I've personally found folks around here very helpful and that's despite the fact that I have a few excellent teachers and practice at my shala daily.

Ok, enough rambling, hope to chat in the future, about trivial or existential matters, whatever!

sp
slowpie6
Posted 2007-02-18 10:10 PM (#78044 - in reply to #78043)

Oi, I was re-reading my message and I certainly hope that the fact that I called this disagreement "silly" will not be taken as a statement on my impression of the people involved. It's the reason for the argument that is silly, not the people or the responses or whatever. I often find that if I get involved in a argument, when I take a step back and think about it, the reasons are silly. I apologize if I didn't explain myself well, I mean no offense to anyone.
osutuffy
Posted 2007-02-18 10:29 PM (#78051 - in reply to #78044)

slowpie6 - 2007-02-18 10:10 PM

Oi, I was re-reading my message and I certainly hope that the fact that I called this disagreement "silly" will not be taken as a statement on my impression of the people involved. It's the reason for the argument that is silly, not the people or the responses or whatever. I often find that if I get involved in a argument, when I take a step back and think about it, the reasons are silly. I apologize if I didn't explain myself well, I mean no offense to anyone.

You make me laugh
I read your post and was a little concerned that someone might think your happiness at your victory was on the competitive side. I didn't respond to yours for fear that my saying congratulations might come across as if I was encouraging you to be competitive. Now I feel foolish that I let something like this stop me from enjoying your victory with you and from expressing my happiness that you are moving forward.

I tend to ramble when I am trying to make sure that someone doesn't take offense to something, and it is quite tiring.
But you are right it is silly. I realized that it was when I posted that I was never coming here. Unfortunately, I am stubborn and shut my laptop down so I could not go back and edit. I am working on the stubborness Kind of hard when I have a stubborn family and bf and it's hard to reason with them I know that it is easy to misinterpret what someone means on a forum. It seems so black and white when you are reading it and can't hear voice infliction and see facial expression. It's just a little discouraging to even post when someone says I disagree with you asking this question and why are you asking, you should ask these types of questions and not the type you just asked. Makes it intimidating and I feel like I need to go run my post through a filter to see if it is yoga politically correct before I post. Then another filter to see if it is worthy enough to be asked. Then submit it before a panel of judges with an offering asking them to approve my message.
I like to discuss and debate things and get different perspectives on things. I also try and respect people, I won't lie people rub me the wrong way sometimes. I started a discussion about Western yoga vs authentic yoga trying to get different perspectives. But also because people were discussing it on another person's post and it was sort of off topic for the post, so I was hoping to draw that discussion away from there. I guess if someone had read that post they might think that along with this one that I am judging. But I am not like that. I will admit that if I see so many negative sentences in a reply, that even the things that may have been meant to be positive will be read with negativity.
But you did not offend me, and I usually regret when I do take offense at something.
osutuffy
Posted 2007-02-18 10:33 PM (#78054 - in reply to #78042)

YoGanesha - 2007-02-18 10:02 PM

ITA!! tourist

I was wondering why people were so upset. it's less yogaish to react the way you people just did than to ask that question.
This is the perfect example of what I meant about how nasty people can get here over nothing in this forum. Actually, this was the very first impression I had when I joined here. Good thing I decided to stick it out because there are quite a few very nice, understanding and patient members.

The person that asked the question is a beginner, (like me). It's very natural to have a curiosity on all aspects of yoga.

Some of you people need to chill out, seriously.

I think it was you that posted a poll about why we do yoga. I think I owe you an apology. I don't think I know. I took your poll as being negative because some of the answers seemed negative. After reading some of your other posts I realize that is not the case. It was my first impression and it's like when you meet someone and get a bad first impression and then later have a conversation with them and get where they are coming from and what they mean.

Sorry that I posted I thought you were being negative. I guess being beginners it is easy to step on peoples toes without meaning too.
tourist
Posted 2007-02-18 11:46 PM (#78062 - in reply to #78054)

Expert Yogi

It is funny what some people have as topics that just hit them the wrong way. Over the years here I have learned a few, but there are often little pockets of resistance and maybe fear(?) that pop up and bite us when we think we have said something innocuous and it turns into a big deal. For example, I have no memory of anyone having a problem with people posting their little victories and breakthroughs. Naturally everyone posts with a great long explanation of how they know it is not a competition and that it seems unyogic but they just have to tell the world and they hope it is okay that they high-fived the whole class the first time they lifted up into urdhva dhanurasana. But in general the response is positive and/or those who disapprove or feel they are "beyond that sort of thing" just stay out of the conversation. Personally, I am a talker and I tend to jump into conversations and my work of late is to practice tapas and restrain from replying. Sore shoulder and mousing left handed has helped a great deal!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)