YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Jivamukti Workshop
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

jonnie
Posted 2007-02-18 3:13 PM (#78018)
Subject: Jivamukti Workshop

I've just finished a two day Jivamukti workshop with Yogeswari (a senior teacher from Jivamukti NY).

It is definately the best workshop I've attended for a while (and I attend lots) and Yogeswari was absolutely brilliant. I really recommend working with her if you get a chance. She is very inspirational.

www.yogeswari.com

Jonathon
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-02-18 10:26 PM (#78050 - in reply to #78018)
Subject: RE: Jivamukti Workshop

Expert Yogi

So -- just to get the picture -- what were the things you liked about this workshop?

..bg

jonnie
Posted 2007-02-19 6:39 AM (#78083 - in reply to #78018)

Hi Bay Guy,

Firstly, the teacher's energy. I got the impression that Yogeswari really walked her talk. Her asana practise was very good, though this was clearly only a small part of how she chose to express her Yoga. Her verbal instructions were so clear and her physical adjustments were very precise.

She brought a harmonium to the class and we began with chanting kirtans and mantras. I have many harmonium cd's (Krishna Das plays one etc) though a teacher playing one live in class was a first for me.

I loved the Jivamutki vinyasa routines and her continual linking of asana practise to the other limbs of Yoga.

Interestingly, I don't think the use of music in an asana class is appropriate, though I thought it really worked well in this setting (even playing tracks by Sting and Bob Marley!!)

Overall, I was massively impressed with both Yogeswari and Jivamukti.

Jonathon
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-02-19 8:27 AM (#78089 - in reply to #78083)

jonnie - 2007-02-19 6:39 AM She brought a harmonium to the class and we began with chanting kirtans and mantras. I have many harmonium cd's (Krishna Das plays one etc) though a teacher playing one live in class was a first for me. I loved the Jivamutki vinyasa routines and her continual linking of asana practise to the other limbs of Yoga. Interestingly, I don't think the use of music in an asana class is appropriate, though I thought it really worked well in this setting (even playing tracks by Sting and Bob Marley!!) Overall, I was massively impressed with both Yogeswari and Jivamukti. Jonathon

Jonnie, I read your post (yes, I read all of them ) and was in shock. What you described has been is how every yoga class is with my teacher, from day one. The chanting w/harmonium, the background music in class, and especially the ongoing theme throughout. This is how we're being taught to teach in our TT; in fact I have an assignment to write an hourlong class coming up for next month, and it's not the asana "choreography" that has me concerned, but the theme and associated dharma talk at the beginning and throughout class. Again, I'm floored, because since this is all I've ever known, I didn't know that others didn't practice this way. Asana is a metaphor for how to live one's life, otherwise it's just a fitness practice, no?

Anyway, glad you enjoyed. Even though I'm in northern NJ, I don't get into NY much to the Jivamukti studio that's there. Eventually I will, since now I know I practice that style as well!

jonnie
Posted 2007-02-19 1:48 PM (#78133 - in reply to #78018)

Hi OM,

It sounds like you're on a great teacher training.

In Ashtanga Vinyasa & Iyengar Yoga, we chant at the beginning of the practise, though that is it.
I began my Yoga studies with ViniYoga (now just called Yoga ) years ago and Mantra, chanting and the study of Sacred texts was very much a part of my lessons. Most of those were privates though and the classes I attended really focused on asana and maybe some pranayama depending on the level.

I studied mantra deeper with Muz Murray:

http://www.mantra-yoga.com

Have a look at his web site. He really is an incredible teacher and quite a character!

I have always been traditionally trained (and my teacher trainings were the same). Asana classes were for studying asana, pranayama classes were for studying pranayama and meditation was always taught seperately. And we NEVER play music in class

I'm definately still a traditionalist at heart though the Jivamukti approach was really refreshing.

Jonathon
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-02-19 2:15 PM (#78138 - in reply to #78133)

jonnie - 2007-02-19 1:48 PM Hi OM, It sounds like you're on a great teacher training.

The very first night of my TT was a huge kirtan, a fabulous party for the current trainees, previous ones and all teachers from the studio, those who teach there as well as those who only come to practice(there are quite a number, actually). The energy produced and contained in that space is truly amazing.

I'll ask my teacher if she's familiar with Muz Murray. I don't believe she's ever mentioned the name in class.

My teacher studied directly under Swami Satchidananda, so I suppose that's my lineage now as well. It's so interesting, if I had to pick and choose different parts of yoga traditions to include in the yoga that's appropriate for me, I'd pretty much come up with the mix my teacher has provided for us, especially since I've been learning more of what the "pure" forms are like from these forums. So yeah, just like how you pick your parents according to your karma, you really do pick your teacher as well. This studio literally fell into my lap a couple years ago during a particularly difficult time in my life when I needed it the most. And it's only two miles away. Still blows me away when I think about it.

jonnie
Posted 2007-02-19 2:25 PM (#78139 - in reply to #78018)

Hi OM.

Yes, Karma is a wonderful thing

Swami Satchidananda was a direct student of Swami Sivananda, who also influenced the spirutual aspects of Jivamukti.

OrangeMat
Posted 2007-02-19 2:32 PM (#78140 - in reply to #78139)

Jonnie -- Well there ya go. No wonder I keep talking to you!
jonnie
Posted 2007-02-19 2:38 PM (#78142 - in reply to #78018)

My new goal this year is to buy a harmonium and learn to play it Krishna das style.

Dubai is 70% Indian and there are loads of classical music schools here.

I'll send you a copy of my first cd
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-01 9:33 AM (#78961 - in reply to #78018)

Hey Jonnie:

1. Send me the CD.

2. MY BKS Iyengar book is going to go to you after Cyndi reads it. Then, it will rest with you.

3. Whoever wrote to me about Murray in the past never sent me any Cds. Where are they?

OrangeMat
Posted 2007-03-01 3:47 PM (#78991 - in reply to #78142)

jonnie - 2007-02-19 2:38 PM My new goal this year is to buy a harmonium and learn to play it Krishna das style. Dubai is 70% Indian and there are loads of classical music schools here. I'll send you a copy of my first cd

Since I waited so long to respond, guess I'll have to get it on iTunes.

jonnie
Posted 2007-03-03 1:11 AM (#79100 - in reply to #78018)

Hi Neel,

That is wonderful and very unexpected news. I am very happy and promise to treat it with the respect that it deserves.

The Muz Murray tapes have been sitting packed and addressed in my study for a while. When I first packed them it was the holy month of Ramadan and traditionally things move a little bit slower then. I was worried that they may have been lost in the post so decided to wait. It is amazing how time flies. I will post them first thing on Sunday when the post office opens again (the weekend here is Friday/Saturday).

Jonathon
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)