YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Enlightenment and limb help :D
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

osutuffy
Posted 2007-02-20 8:31 PM (#78286 - in reply to #78276)
Subject: RE: Enlightenment and limb help :D

It's very annoying. I have had the problem my whole life and it's never bothered me. The only real problem I have is sinus infections and stuffy noses. But after having one more often than not for 26 years, you stop noticing. This is the first time it's been a problem. Although I did not know that breathing can cause anxiety attacks. I still can't say if the nose breathing causes any of the attacks, but I would say that my mouth breathing changes when I am stressed out. The nose breathing anxiety attacks could be happening as I am starting to fall asleep.

I think I am going to look into washing my nose out everyday, maybe that will help long term. I know when I actually have a cold or bad stuffy nose that it will help for 15-60 minutes. But maybe regular washes will eventually stop the runny nose.

I can't think of the website, but I found one that had some good stuff for ahimsa that I agree with almost all of it. Says that we shouldn't go crazy not trying to kill everything, taking a shower causes organisms to die. Chemistry in our body causes things to die.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick
Posted 2007-02-21 7:40 AM (#78315 - in reply to #78264)
Subject: RE: Enlightenment and limb hel

Hi Steve,
You're post shows greater enlightenment than mine ,I'm afraid to say Looking at the article, it wasn't supposed to get marks in an anatomy class, so I'm not the person to take it apart-I imagine the author's teacher would have given him top marks.
The only book on breathing that tells it like it is is the book I mentioned, "multidisciplinary approaches to breathing pattern disorders." The reason it is so good is because it has three authors, all acknowledged experts in their field: osteopath, respiratory physiotherapist, and clinical psychologist with 'extensive experience in breathing regulation.'
When you look at most yoga books, the expertise is at yoga, apart from Coulter's book. I think that because most forms of yoga promote a certain style of breathing, they perhaps miss out on the fact that there is no optimum breathing style. If your breathing is optimal, every breath you ever take in your life will be unique, adapting itself to your metabolic requirements and to your posture or movement.
Perhaps the most illustrative rationale for breathing comes from the following by Kuchera-it is an explanation of body posture which we will use for breathing (it's also in that book):

Optimal posture is a balanced configuration of the
body with respect to gravity. It depends on normal
arches of the feet, vertical alignment of the ankles,
and horzontal orientation (in the coronal plane) of
the sacral base. The presence of an optimum posture
suggests that there is a perfect distribution of the body
mass around the centre of gravity. The compressive
force on thespinal discs is balanced by ligamentous
tension: there is minimal energy expenditure from
postural muscles. Structural and functional stressors
on the body, however, may prevent achievement of
optimal posture. In this case homeostatic mecha-
nisms provide for'compensation' in an effort to
provide maximum postural function within the
existing structure of the individual. Compensation is
the counterbalancing of any defect of structure or
function.

What this shows is that every yoga posture involves using your skill and ability to find the best way to counterbalance the deviations in structure that each posture demands, so that the function of each posture is changed for the better. Because brathing involves enlarging the space within the thoracic cavity, and then decreaing it to breathe out, there is no such thing as optimal breathing posture-only otpimal breathing movement. Even in such cases where abdominal breathing is used, the diaphragm will descend to draw air in to the lungs, thereby creating a moment on the joints of the rib cage-so even when we are still, in asana, there will always be a force that tends to produce movement on the ribs and spine.
It is finding this otpimal movment which, if a yoga practice is to be therapeutic, outweighs all other considerations in our yoga practice.
As an example, with ujjayi breathing, we are told to lift the rib cage-some people get it right, most people get it wrong. It is very easy to use our intellect to command a certain movement, but almost impossible to command the correct movement of the ribs. In some ways it all goes wrong because the elevation of the ribs is actually coming about partially from rotation of the joints of the ribs and spine (costovertebral joints). If the rib cage was actually lifting then the joints of the spine would separate a few inches-this obviously doesn't happen I understand the instruction to lift, but would argue that because it is not specific, and is actually physically impossible, that it can often do more harm than good. That's just a personal observation.

Of the books you have mentioned the only one I have read is light on pranayama. At the time, twenty years ago, nearly, I found it to be the best book on the market with regard to pranayama. I'm not sure if I would find it so useful now, but still, it's good.
Coulter's book, well, I'm not too keen-I beleive his anatomical learning is very different from mine, all our learning was how to make a human more functional, and what makes them dysfunctional, 'neuro-musculo-skeletally.' To me, reading his book, and looking at the diagrams, didn't convince me that he was able to apply his anatomical knowledge to the learing of therapeutic exercise. I've stated in other posts that I don't think the head should be on the floor in headstands. We were given inforamtion on the neck in our classes that gave the neck pride of place-muck about with it at your peril. Consequentially, I've put the neck on an alter-it has god status And so does breathing.
I've avoided buying coulter's book up until now, because I really didn't like it, and resent spending that much money on a book which I found so wanting. There's so many fantastic books that you can buy for that kind of money. Written by people who want to improve your structure and function, not by people who want you to wrap your leg behind your head. The two are not always mutually compatible, unfortunately.

Take care
Nick
Nick
Posted 2007-02-21 7:56 AM (#78316 - in reply to #78248)
Subject: RE: Enlightenment and limb help :D

Hi Tiffany,
Right, so I guess the thing to do is to get rid of those sinus infections. Perhaps before your yoga practice you could do a salt water flush, to encourage correct breathing. What would be nice would be if the effects of the flush lasted for longer and longer, then you know you are doing the right thing.
May I also make a suggestion? Perhaps using pursed lips breathing during your yoga session may be a good idea for now-otherwise, you may be setting yourself up for more problems. When you do the pursed lips breathing, continue to breath through your nose, but allow your mouth to act like a third nostril. You know when you walk in through the door and your favourite dinner is in the oven (roast chicken for me) and your receptors in your nose go yippee and your diaphragm contracts so that you suck in as much air as possible, before you've even thought about it? That's what a properly performed ujjayi breath looks like, but slower. This removes the thought process from breathing, turning you into an observer, rather than a commander-breathing then becomes a meditation-you become that, rather than trying to master that.
There's some interesting things in your posts, will get back to you, I think there's a missing piece to the jigsaw somewhere.

Nick
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)