YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

practicing outside
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

TampaEric
Posted 2007-02-22 3:00 PM (#78429)
Subject: practicing outside

I just finished my practice outside today. It was beautiful. I can't tell you how much I love the fresh air. I sat up my mat in the dabbled sun light under some nice oak trees. There were a few insects and I'm sure when the rains come they will be out full force.

It was probably about 75 degrees. So, I didn't sweat as much as I normally do.

Does anyone else like to practice outside?

I touched my fingers in Marichi D. I can feel it coming back. I probably could of forced the bind, but I didn't want to rush it. I'm trying so hard to balance things: work, family (newborn), teaching, yoga, etc.. I dont' want to injury myself before I go to the keys to study with Guruji..

Is anyone else going to islamorada?

Eric

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-02-22 3:59 PM (#78441 - in reply to #78429)
Subject: RE: practicing outside

i do like to practice outside, preferably when it's above 55 degrees F. today is not such a day here. but, the ice is melting, because it's in the low 40s. quite balmy feeling actually. very enjoyable.

i took a hot yoga class today (a modified bikram class--quite good actually). it was 85 degrees in there. very nice. my outdoor activities include making sure my car doesn't get iced in each nite as the temps drop, and brisk walks around the neighborhood (2-3 miles).
osutuffy
Posted 2007-02-22 4:20 PM (#78443 - in reply to #78429)

I want to practice outside. But I am not a cold weather person. I am not going out there until the weather is about 65 and even that is pushing it.
I am trying to decide if practicing outside is going to be possible. I live in apartments and I have a small yard but lots of people and dogs going by. Do want to be rude by telling them to get lost. Nor do I want to stop in the middle to tell them. Maybe I can get bf to take me out to his parents to practice outside.

Posted 2007-02-22 9:12 PM (#78461 - in reply to #78429)

when not in my yard area (it's not my yard, it's common area), i usually practice in parks. it's great to go to a nice, secluded place in your favorite park (i have a number around here that are excellent and have some very seldom-used paths) and practice there.

my husband and i hike a lot (when there's no snow on the trails) and we find lots of great places to stop and meditate, enjoy ourselves, or do some yoga or have a snack.
TampaEric
Posted 2007-03-14 1:05 PM (#80038 - in reply to #78429)

Another beautiful day today in sunny Florida. I did my practice outside again.

I'm doing this during my lunch hour, so i've decided to stop at Dandasana. I know not much practice. But to do this in a hour and get back to my desk was getting to be a problem. Any one else find that yoga and work don't mix?

So, I figure the standing and the finishing sequence doesn't really change, so I will continue to do them during my "work practices" and do a deeper practice when i have more time.

I'm so excited about practicing in the Keys with Guruji and his family again. It has really got me pumped up about yoga again.

Just wanted to share,

Eric

bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-03-14 3:21 PM (#80049 - in reply to #78429)

I'm glad you're enjoying the sun, the only thing I could do outside today is take a shower. I did practice in the back yard last year for the first time. It was a little distracting, but to look up in triangle and see the sky throught the branches was fantastic, I'll be back out there again once it dries up. It's a mud pit right now.
jpk
Posted 2007-03-14 4:04 PM (#80053 - in reply to #78429)

Did my first outside practice for this year today. Started off at a cool 13 degrees C and by the time I finished it was down to a bracing 10.6 or 51 of the Fahrenheits and nearly dark so I was glad to finish!

Still nice to get out in the fresh air and away from the TV. Need to get some of those yogitoes. Wonder if they have yogitoes gloves as well... Maybe a hat and a scarf...

Hurry up summer!

JK

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-14 10:41 PM (#80077 - in reply to #78429)

you lucky guys/gals!!
YoGanesha
Posted 2007-03-15 9:45 AM (#80102 - in reply to #78429)

I'm so excited to start practicing outdoors when it gets a bit warmer. We had a nice weekend but it's suppose to snow tomorrow. Hopefully soon, it'll be warm enough to practice on my brick patio.
beauty_cat
Posted 2007-03-15 10:58 PM (#80193 - in reply to #78429)

I like to practise outside. But I feel discomfortable when others looking at me.

Posted 2007-03-16 3:13 AM (#80202 - in reply to #78429)

i find it difficult to find sufficiently flat ground outside.
thats pretty important to me...

i kinda like having people able to see someone practicing yoga poses...maybe i will inspire someone, hmm? i like practicing in airports...
i think a lot of people see me through my apartment window.
and i see them.

it's wierd to think how we see each other through windows. we know each other through the window of yoga.com forums, but it seems as though i have a better feel for some people on this board than say, co-workers i see every day...
can you ever really know anyone?
what does it take to break the window of our worlds,
so we can jump outside into a broader perspective?
is that just a broader window?

it seems like the only window we get sometimes is the passing face of a stranger.
a few seconds to connect, or to look at the ground avoiding eye-contact.
i feel as though i have done a poor job recently of dressing my window.
people look in, and all that looks back is darkness and turmoil.
or a vacant room.
stress of the workaday world.
where is all my detachment, hmm?
i would like to show people my light, but the harshness of the physical world muddies my windows; wrecks my drapes.

i suppose i stopped talking about practicing outside a little while ago, forgive me for hi-jacking this thread. it's been a rough couple weeks.

light and love.
dhan
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-03-16 9:05 AM (#80217 - in reply to #78429)

I have a bad habit. Every evening when I close my curtains I say Goodbye Cruel World. I should stop for my daughters sake.
tourist
Posted 2007-03-16 9:59 AM (#80226 - in reply to #80217)

Expert Yogi

Sometimes when I see I have no email or phone messages I say "nobody loves me." Also something that doesn't need to be said. Seems like a silly thing, but undoubtedly affects our attitude to the world, eh?
joscmt
Posted 2007-03-16 10:29 AM (#80230 - in reply to #78429)

I like to practice outside. I will do it at my parent's country house. There is a pretty creek in front of the house- the water sounds are soo nice.
Yesterday it was almost 80 degrees.. at 4pm, the cold front came in and by 5pm it was about 45 degrees.. it's pouring rain now and by this afternoon it will be 29degrees and snowing! It's nuts! I'm debating going to class today.. I should.. but it's soo rainy... and cooollld... I have a new desk to put together, so I may hunker down inside and put that together before work.. we'll see...
TampaEric
Posted 2007-03-16 10:51 AM (#80234 - in reply to #78429)

Flat ground is definitely a problem, but I have found this one little spot that works. It's kinda funny because when I did the balancing series the uneven ground under the arch of my foot helped me. I have high arches and it was like using a prop or something.

I use a rubber mat and a mysore mat underneath, so I think that even's things out some too.

Today's outside practice is a washout. Rain, rain rain...

joscmt
Posted 2007-03-16 8:54 PM (#80261 - in reply to #78429)

It all just turned to snow here... hard to believe I was in flip-flops yesterday!
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-03-17 9:35 AM (#80283 - in reply to #78429)

I woke up to whiteness all around also, and it's still coming down. It sure looks better than the mud, but I know it's just a matter of time before I'm back in the mud again.
Hehet
Posted 2007-03-18 2:33 PM (#80350 - in reply to #78429)

I live in Kingston in beautiful, sunny Jamaica (it's about 30 C ~ 86 F today) and i just realised that my backyard is a perfect place to practice.  I simply never thought of it before.  It's funny that hearing those of you who don't live in the tropics is what made me appreciate what we have here

thanks for that

I'm sending a little Jamaican surya for you all 

joscmt
Posted 2007-03-19 12:15 AM (#80378 - in reply to #78429)

Ahhhh.... Jamaica... I can feel the sun now! My husband and I spent our little 3 1/2 day honeymoon in Montego Bay... it was soo beautiful!
Hehet
Posted 2007-03-19 11:19 AM (#80423 - in reply to #80378)

it's wonderful here..and a really greatplace despite what some people might hear

I need to get over my shyness and practice in the outdoors for real!

joscmt - 2007-03-19 12:15 AMAhhhh.... Jamaica... I can feel the sun now! My husband and I spent our little 3 1/2 day honeymoon in Montego Bay... it was soo beautiful!
TampaEric
Posted 2007-03-19 11:34 AM (#80426 - in reply to #78429)

I wish I could join you.

We went to Ocho Rios for a day. It was very beautiful. They had this tiny grass growing by the shore that was so soft of your feet.

Eric
Hehet
Posted 2007-03-19 11:44 AM (#80432 - in reply to #80426)

i know the grass you're talking about, but not its name

for those of us who live in kingston, we tend to end up at a small snippet of land called Lime Cay (you take a skiff from the 'mainland').  In fact i do have a pic my friend took of me doing Upward Bow (one of my favourite poses) on the beach

TampaEric - 2007-03-19 11:34 AMI wish I could join you.We went to Ocho Rios for a day. It was very beautiful. They had this tiny grass growing by the shore that was so soft of your feet.Eric
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)