YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

TampaEric
Posted 2007-02-22 4:20 PM (#78444)
Subject: 85

Hi Zoebird,

What kind of class is that? Sounds interesting.. less hot

I used to do Bikram, but I really can not handle the heat. I get headaches and I feel terrible the next day. People LOVE IT though. I do get extremely flexible during the sequence, but the next day I tend to get tight.

For me the ashtanga (primary) is the only system I'm working on. I'm trying to stay true to it and see where it takes me.

Yes, we keep the studio at 85 for our power, Flow and Ashtanga. We used to have a wonderful Forrest Yoga teacher. (it was tough!) Sometimes I drop it down to 80-83 for Ashtanga. We have students who don't drop even a bead of sweat even though it is hot and they are doing ashtanga. Then on the other extreme, I have some making puddles around their mats. It is so strange.

In Florida the winter and spring are so nice. I'm not looking forward to the hot humid summer. Although I do enjoy swimming. I miss snow and the change of seasons sometimes. Every place has something wonderful about it.

Thanks for the reply,

Eric

Top of the page Bottom of the page
mishoga
Posted 2007-02-22 6:06 PM (#78450 - in reply to #78444)
Subject: RE: 85

Expert Yogi

I love any temp between 78 and 88 degrees for a class. I can even handle 92 pretty well.

Posted 2007-02-22 9:03 PM (#78459 - in reply to #78444)
Subject: RE: 85

the studio is a hot yoga studio. the owner of the studio started with baron baptiste, so that's her origin. she then moved away from that slightly--moving away from his sequence--and maintaining the heat.

prior to starting her own place, she was working at a baptiste studio where it kept getting hotter and hotter. some of the students had acclimated to the 85-90 heat, and thus wanted it hotter every time they came to class. so, it started to creep up. it got as high as 106, but then they decided to move back down to 95. when this studio owner/teacher worked there, she did not like the heat so high--so when she left, she moved it to 85.

she now offers a number of types of classes: flow (which is baptiste-based), stationary series (bikram based with barkan method tossed in), beginners, tweens and teens, and a therapeutic class. they're considering adding yin as well.

for my own part, i tend to teach classes that are around 70 degrees because this is the need of my clients. many have MS, fibromyalgia, and chronic fatigue syndrome. i also get a number with a myriad of other disorders that are heat-sensitive. so, i tend to keep my classrooms cooler than what is popular around here (popular around here is 75-80 for the 'average' studio and 85 and up for hot yoga).

i do not really have a problem with the heat and enjoy extremes, but i don't need the heat in order to get hot either. i've practiced outdoors in the snow (though not my favorite) and was able to really get my heat going. so, for my own part, the heat isn't really necessary. but i do enjoy it.

so, that's what i'm doing for the now.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)