YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga with Sri K. Pattabhi Jois
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

slowpie6
Posted 2007-02-25 3:14 PM (#78693)
Subject: Yoga with Sri K. Pattabhi Jois

Hi y'all, I attended my second full primary class today, and as it turns out, my teacher had decided that we were going to do the class as led by Sri K. Pattabhi Jois. He had an audio recording of a led session which he attended a few years ago in Mysore, and decided to share it with us. I was quite an unusual experience. First of all, Guruji is very hard to understand! I have gotten used to the sanskrit counting, as my teacher does it occasionally, but that is almost all I understood, oddly enough. I think the only other things he said were, "Inhale", "Exhale" and "Jump back". I'm not sure he ever named any of the poses, but if he did, he spoke so quickly that I didn't catch it. Thankfully, I'm becoming familiar enough with the series that I almost always knew what was coming next and could keep up about as well as the other students, even though many of them have studied extensively in Mysore.

As a result of finding the instruction hard to follow, I sort of felt like I was "unfocused" on my body, and so I didn't really find it to be a good practice - in fact, a few hours later, I don't really feel as if I did my practice today (which has led me to consider attending an Iyengar session this evening, just for kicks). Jois did not give any instructions whatsoever other than the timing of breathing and counting. My teacher was running around adjusting people, and correcting us when we got confused as to what we were supposed to be doing.

Well, it was an experience, to say the least, but it certainly made me appreciate my teacher's way of leading a class in comparison. And it also put in perspective why mysore style sessions are really the best way to learn Ashtanga... Since the pace is quite rapid, there really isn't sufficient time for a teacher to provide adjustments in a pose especially to a group. At least in mysore, when you are still at stage requiring much adjustments, you can take things slower, hold the poses a little longer and this gives the teacher more opportunity to come and assist you.

Anywhooo, just thought I'd share!

sp
Top of the page Bottom of the page
TampaEric
Posted 2007-02-26 9:27 AM (#78748 - in reply to #78693)
Subject: RE: Yoga with Sri K. Pattabhi Jois

His counting is very fast. But I think that is part of the fire in Ashtanga. When I studied with him last year in NY, he did call the postures and then counted. However, there were certain parts that he slowed down (sometimes people went ahead and he kept us in Chaturi, headstand had a long slow count etc) When the sequence is committed to memory, it becomes more meditative.

Other instructors do slow this down and the sequence might take up to 2 hours. Richard Freeman's DVD is about 1:45-1:50 minutes, I think.

I don't really have time to do a 2 hour practice a day, so I generally like the speed. Sometimes I wrap up practice in about 1:15 minutes.

As far as adjusting, depending on how many student are in the room, you would have assistants adjusting while you are counting and adjusting.

I would love to have an assistant. I taught 23 people yesterday all by myself with adjusting and calling. Some day I count the breath and others, I give verbal cues. There's no time for both. Or, I might cue and start the count at 3. It took about 1:40 minutes including savasana.

I do prefer mysore class for my own practice, (i do self practice) but students will still get benefits in a led class once the sequence is memorized.

Are you going to the keys? I can't wait to get there.

Eric

slowpie6
Posted 2007-02-27 7:52 AM (#78799 - in reply to #78748)
Subject: RE: Yoga with Sri K. Pattabhi Jois

Oy, I wish I could say I am going to Florida for the opening, but no way. If this had been happening next year, maybe then I would have considered it serious. But I've only been practicing ashtanga for a couple of months, and I am not ready to start travelling around in order to do so. I know my teacher and his family have a close relationship with Jois', and so perhaps in time I will get the opportunity to meet some of the family members and train with them should they come to Canada to visit. Perhaps never. I am rather saddened by the fact that I have started my yoga journey only recently and as such may never get to meet or study with Jois, seeing as he is getting on in age. If I ever consider going to Mysore, it certainly wouldn't be until quite a few years from now, as I have many other things I want to tend to as a priority. Buying a house and establishing my career, stuff like that.

sp
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)