YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mat question
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

mom_needs_yoga
Posted 2007-02-25 8:30 PM (#78716)
Subject: Mat question

Hello,

I am new to ashtanga (started practicing in January). I have been practicing with a very thin prana mat that I use for Bikram yoga. However, the studio where I practice ashtanga has hardwood floors that hurt my bony shoulders and tailbone so I need a thicker mat. In addition, my hands and feet get clammy about halfway through and I start slipping....but I'm not sweating enough to make my Yogitoes towel feel grippy. A couple of times I have squirted water from my waterbottle on my yogitoes, but that kind of interrupts the flow. I have only used my yogitoes during seated postures, because it seems like it would get really bunched up moving between standing postures.

So I've been looking at mats online and the Manduka mat seems to be mostly highly rated...but I've also heard good things about Hugger Mugger mats which are less expensive than Manduka. Also the weight of the mat could be an issue...I have to park and walk several blocks to the studio.

Suggestions to solve both the thin mat problem and the slippery hands problem? Any feedback on the Hugger Mugger?

Thanks!!
m_n_y
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-02-25 8:45 PM (#78718 - in reply to #78716)
Subject: RE: Mat question

get a mandara.

they're thick, but not too spongey.
and not 90 dollars.
about 40 i think.

i've had mine like a year and a half, works pretty well.
slowpie6
Posted 2007-02-25 8:53 PM (#78719 - in reply to #78716)

Hi, I'm in a similar position as you are, and have been considering a new mat for a while. I spent some time looking online, and was considering lululemon's thick mat until I physically went to the store to see it and didn't like the feel of it. I ended up asking one of my teachers, and he happened to have a Manduka mat that is in nearly new condition and that he doesn't want to use anymore, so he will be selling it to me at a very reduced rate. It's the ultra long one too (85") so I'm really happy. I can tell you that all the long-term yogis at my ashtanga studio use the manduka mat, so it seems to be the preferred mat for this style. I haven't tried it yet, but it can only be an improvement on the crap I've been using. I'm only a bit disappointed because it is black and I was hoping to have a more "stimulating" color (as some of you may recall in my earlier post about mat colors). In fact, when I asked my teacher why he no longer wanted the mat, he said it was because it is black and he doesn't feel "right" with that. I personally think I will like it better than my current grey mat, at least. Anyways, since these mats are so durable, perhaps you can find a used one too? You might inquire at the studio you go to.

I'm sure others will have more help for you.

sp
iandicker
Posted 2007-02-26 3:08 AM (#78729 - in reply to #78719)

I really like my gajahgoogoo cotton mat. It soaks up all the sweat, and if I need extra traction, I can roll it back and use my old sticky. It comes in a variety of colours and the horizontal stripes help me to get my feet/hands in the same place each time. And it's nice and long so my feet don't stick out in savasana. And I can wash it out on a cool cycle.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)