YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

can't do fitness anymore
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> General FitnessMessage format

OrangeMat
Posted 2007-02-26 11:38 AM (#78752)
Subject: can't do fitness anymore

Seems as if yoga has ruined my taste for fitness classes, and I'm really not happy about that. Especially since my profession is still technically fitness (I'm a personal trainer and I teach a couple classes a week). I think I'm more surprised than anything else. I was at a resort last week and so I decided to take a fitness class that was offered on the hotel's schedule. I had taken the yoga class offered there the day before, and that was pleasant enough... But I couldn't believe how much I disliked the fitness class. It was called Body & Core Conditioning, or something like that, and billed as a functional fitness class (as opposed to a bootcamp style, or at least I had hoped). I still enjoy running, so it's not that I don't want to get a good sweat. And the way I teach my classes and clients does involve the entire body as a whole (which we do work hard), so again, it's not like I've gotten lax in my own workouts. But this class, I don't know, I just couldn't figure out what was the BENEFIT of any of the exercises the instructor had us do, body parts in isolation like bicep curls and pushups, WHY? Anyone else notice their taste for fitness classes has dwindled since beginning a regular practice of yoga? I think what bugs me the most is that I didn't like something, that I experienced an aversion to something in the midst of working so hard these days to smooth out my likes and dislikes, my attachments. It was like participating in a gym environment knocked my quest for equanimity back down a bunch of notches.

Hmm, OK, there's my lesson , so anybody else experience a similar "lesson" as well?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-02-26 12:40 PM (#78755 - in reply to #78752)
Subject: RE: can't do fitness anymore

i find the pace and movements in fitness classes does not allow me to exercize optimal alignment in my body, and hence is something i'm not so much down with. the instruction seems slightly absurd to me, however, that may be a bad meterstick, as i find everything to be slightly absurd....

moreso with lifting weights. my shoulders are pulled ever so slightly out of socket.
from Light on Yoga:
"The minor muscles of the arm will be developed and toned by the practice of this pose, which requires no special apparatus or gymnasiums. The various parts of the body supply the weights and counterweights. All that is needed is strength of will."

traditional fitness modalities, moreover, have been incapable of awakening dormant muscle, in my experience, and focus only on the larger muscle groups in the body.
maybe i was just doing it wrong.

YoGanesha
Posted 2007-02-26 8:23 PM (#78771 - in reply to #78752)

I'm having the same problem. I'm dreading going to the gym but I have to. Right now yoga is not enough for what I want my body to look like because i'm just a beginner and learning. I don't see results fast enough but I do from the gym.
 I haven't really worked out in about 5 days.  I can't wait till I  can find all the yoga poses that satisfy all my physical aesthetic needs.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-02-26 9:14 PM (#78778 - in reply to #78771)

YoGanesha - 2007-02-26 8:23 PM  I can't wait till I  can find all the yoga poses that satisfy all my physical aesthetic needs.

I'm not looking for yoga to change the shape of my body. I suppose that's how I initially started in fitness, looking to improve my outward appearance, but after a while it became more about how I felt during exercise (my body's just happy when it's moving and feeling, plain and simple). I eventually made my way to yoga since I kept hearing how it would make the rest of me happy as well. But anyway, I guess that's why fitness doesn't "do it" for me anymore. Not that my body is completely "perfect" in any standardized or socially acceptable form of the term, not by far. It's just that being fashion-model perfect isn't important to me, even more so now than it ever was.

I guess I'm just a little sad, kinda like realizing I don't love chocolate as much as I used to, that's all.
idance
Posted 2007-03-07 3:34 PM (#79504 - in reply to #78752)

I teach both types of classes but have been teaching fitness classes longer. I find myself leaning more and more towards yoga and pilates. I look forward to teaching those more than my other classes now but still "do it all".
lovemyHD
Posted 2007-03-08 12:02 PM (#79583 - in reply to #78752)

I am having the same problem. I just feel like working out is jarring to my body and yoga is so gentle and so I'm no longer motivated to work out. I'm not happy about it because yoga will not sculpt my body in the way that I want. I have been doing yoga for about 6 months now and I really love it but it doesn't give me the same benefits as weights and cardio does.
Sapphire
Posted 2007-03-21 12:37 PM (#80711 - in reply to #78752)

Anyone else notice their taste for fitness classes has dwindled since beginning a regular practice of yoga?

YES!
In recent weeks (since the beginning of this year, more or less!) I've moved away from using my home gym, almost completely, and instead am doing Yoga practice 3-4 times a week.
I love how it makes me feel like I "exercised" my entire body, without leaving me feeling like my muscles are bunched up and heavy.
My posture is better, and I feel more energized than I ever did after a strength training session.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)