YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What do you take and does it w
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Stress ReliefMessage format

andy_duke23
Posted 2007-03-05 5:11 AM (#79222)
Subject: What do you take and does it w

I've been taking some medicine as per the direction of my doc for over a year and a half now.( I don’t want to name the pills as it worked initially ). At first it kind of worked, it cleared the horrible "black cloud" from my head (I always call it a "black cloud" when people ask!), made it easier for me to think. But it didn't make me happier or anything, I know that's for me to work on over time, I've been taking the pills for so long now and my life has come full circle, I feel almost as bad now as I did when starting them! What do you take and is it working for you, do you notice a difference?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-05 6:50 AM (#79223 - in reply to #79222)
Subject: RE: What do you take and does it w

andy_duke23 - 2007-03-05 5:11 AM

I've been taking some medicine as per the direction of my doc for over a year and a half now.( I don’t want to name the pills as it worked initially ). At first it kind of worked, it cleared the horrible "black cloud" from my head (I always call it a "black cloud" when people ask!), made it easier for me to think. But it didn't make me happier or anything, I know that's for me to work on over time, I've been taking the pills for so long now and my life has come full circle, I feel almost as bad now as I did when starting them! What do you take and is it working for you, do you notice a difference?

Well. What do you mean by working on you? Your pills did work on you as you have written. Any other pills are likely to do the same. You said the pills did not make you happier. Pills do not make anyone happy. Happiness is a state of mind and not of body. Pills only work on body. This shows you have to work on mind.
tourist
Posted 2007-03-05 9:51 AM (#79232 - in reply to #79222)

Expert Yogi

so andy - we are speaking of depression? I don't know much about the meds for it, but I do know a lot of people have concerns about them. Do you practice yoga? Your yoga teacher might be able to help you out with a program specially designed for you that could be helpful. But you really need to talk to your doctor about medication changes. Good luck!
damienholly
Posted 2007-03-06 1:07 AM (#79301 - in reply to #79222)

I had taken a course a year back. It’s Theramood product. It worked very good for me and I believe it has given me some long lasting results as I feel mentally relieved and elevated even today. You may find a suitable product at their site theramood.com. I tried a bunch of meds before and the placebo effects of those didn't last very long.
laylie99
Posted 2007-03-06 2:59 PM (#79349 - in reply to #79222)

So it's obvious whatever it is you're taking isn't working. Which to me, says that you should first talk to your doctor (or get a second opinion) and re-evaluate whether you should be taking them these meds at all. If they suggest you increase your dosage, i'd definitley get a second opinion and/or try a naturopath.

I know that some people on this forum might advise you against taking prescription medications in general, but that is only for you to decide. If you are in a place where you feel like nothing else helps and you've reached a dead end, I personally believe that anti-depressants can sometimes help get a person back on track. It all depends on the person.

For me, I've had my own issues with anxiety and medications.
I've gone against my doctor's advice (don't take the daily pills she's prescribed) and have found that it was the right choice. However, I do have anxiety meds for isolated situations that I carry with me for peace of mind. You can send me a private message if you'd like to talk more in-depth.

Either way, it seems you are on the right track to be asking questions and exploring other avenues of coping. Yoga has been a great relief for me - I think it has a wonderful way of putting things in perspective and helps me achive an emotional balance that I never had before. So my advice is to keep practicing.

Also, keep reading through these forums... this is a great source for first-hand experiences and unbiased input.

Welcome and good luck!

osutuffy
Posted 2007-03-07 6:41 PM (#79522 - in reply to #79222)

Did they diagnose you with bi-polar, anxiety, or depression? You mentioned stress, does it make you anxious or depressed?  Are you having ups and downs or were you before the meds?

I've got friends that are on meds and have been for years and they say they work. I did not feel they worked for me. I also have a friend that they kept upping the dose. You do need to talk to your doctor about this and tell him how you feel about meds, whether it is taking them or not. I do know from personal experience that going off them suddenly can be bad, your doctor will have to tell you the best way to stop. If you do not want to be on meds, talk to your doctor and if he says you have no alternative talk to a second just to verify. My last doctor felt meds were the only alternative and that I was going to get worse. I have been off them for over a year and I have had ups and downs, but now that I know the signs that I am going to go through a rough patch, I can deal with them better. I just started yoga about a month ago and it helped me a lot. The more I learn about yoga the better I feel. It doesn't solve everything overnight.

As I said I am new to yoga, so I am not an expert. I would definately talk to a yoga instructor, tell them what you are dealing with and they can suggest what to do. There are many styles of yoga out there and different styles work for different people. Give yoga a chance and maybe you will be able to come off the meds in the future. Yoga has given me a new way to look at things. I haven't got to try it out on a major disaster yet but the little things that used to make me freak out are getting easier and easier to deal with.

shabur
Posted 2007-07-13 11:06 PM (#91419 - in reply to #79222)

It sounds like you may need to change meds. You may need to combine some to have an effect.

I have suffered from major depression the past 3 years and need to be on meds to function. Meds are not intended to make you happy - they are meant to even things out enough that you can work on what is causing your mental illness. Are you in therapy?

Unfortunately, some people don't recognize mental illness as an actual illness. It is not something that can be seen on an xray or show up in a blood test; it is a condition that is cause by either a traumatic event or brain chemistry. It is a real medical condition that needs medical treatment. One day I hope to be stable enough to come off my meds, but I am in no hurry. You need to let them work for you.

I practice yoga regularly, and it includes a private practice with my yoga teacher. She is aware of my situation and is very understanding. Each week our practice is based on how I am feeling. Yoga is a part of my treatment plan, that includes CBT and meds (Cymbalta, Provigil and Xanax ER).

Talk to your doctor about your meds.

Best of luck.
SCThornley
Posted 2007-07-14 10:53 AM (#91440 - in reply to #79222)
Subject: RE: What do you take and does

What do I take and does.....................................

does it work??????????

Reality can be quite depressing when you have expectations that exceed your accomplishments

Being thankful and gracious for what you have is very difficult when you are exposed to those that have more and have accomplished more

Relative comparison is a devilish nightmare of endless ups and downs

Consider this,
YOU are

start from there

try

being thankful and gracious

enough rest, enough nutrition, enough exercise and enough time communicating with other people

When I feel down, I talk to my wife, it doesn't always fix it, but it's a good place to start, also realize that everyone has ups and downs, depression happens for everyone---maybe not clinical extreme depression but it's a part of life

Support groups can also be an important effective solution

We are social beings, if you don't have enough social interaction in your life for YOUR specific needs that could be a BIG thing worth changing

Maybe just joining a softball league

or

Maybe finding a depression support group

ALSO

Physical Activity is a great therapy!

Group classes, walking whatever....give it a try.

padma
Posted 2007-07-21 3:32 AM (#92086 - in reply to #79222)

Chronic, long term stress can kill you. It is the underlying factor which can undermined any one suffering from an illness, fear, or just plain insecurity. The mind and body altercation brought on by our own self affliction.

Anxiety is a vague, uncomfortable feeling of fear, dread or danger from an unknown source. For some it may be a one time episode. Other become constantly anxious about everything. A certain amount of anxiety is normal and helps improve our performance and allows people to avoid dangerous situations.

Stress related symptoms also include a feeling that something undesirable is about to happen dry mouth, swallowing difficulty, hoarseness, rapid breathing and heart palpitations, twitching or trembling, muscle tension, headaches, backaches sweating, difficulty in concentrating, dizziness or faintness. Nausea, diarrhea, weight loss, sleeplessness, irritability, fatigue, nightmares, memory problems, and sexual impotence.

The single most important point you can make about stress is that in most cases it's not what's out there that's the problem, it's how you react to it. How you react is determined by how you perceive a particular stress.

The Chinese word for crisis is "weiji" . Two characters that separately mean danger and opportunity. Every problem we encounter in life can be viewed that way. It is a chance to show that we can handle it.

Changing the way you think, can change a life of stress and discomfort to a life of challenge and excitement. Thinking about a success or a past achievement is excellent when you're feeling uncertain and stress. You are instantly reminded that you've achieved before, and there's no reason you shouldn't achieve this time.

Positive affirmations: You should have a list of affirmations ready that you can start repeating when you feel stressed. They don't have to be complicated. Just saying aloud "I can handle this" to yourself or "I know exactly what I am doing" will work. It pulls you away from the animal reflex to stress?the quick breathing, the cold hands?and toward the reasoned response, the intellect?the part of you that really can handle it. It's necessary to think these thoughts consciously because doing so automatically changes the mind-set that's producing the stress. If you're reciting an affirmation, you're not thinking about whatever bothers you.

Stress is also compounded by poor nutrition. Diets high in sugar that contain too many sweets, refined foods, tobacco, alcohol and caffeine are all bad for your system. Stress depletes your body of Vitamins C, D, E , Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Molybdenum, Potassium, Sulfur and Zinc.

During our busy schedules, it's easy to forget about a balanced diet by skipping meals or eating anything while on the run. Yet when your body doesn't get the balance of nutrients it needs, you may end up trying to do more with less energy.

Eat plenty of fresh vegetables, complexed carbs, whole grain, as well as, fruits, nuts, seeds and protein.

Set aside time to eat meals at a pace that allows you to taste and savor them. The 15 or 20 minutes it takes to put aside work and other distractions will more than compensated by a noticeable energy boost.

Enjoy quite time or peaceful music while you eat alone, or share some friendly company as you relax at mealtime.

To know more about Stress Management you may visit following URL:

http://www.realyog.com/ry/stressmanagement.php
planthelper
Posted 2007-07-25 4:05 AM (#92490 - in reply to #79222)

Pill for this ,pill for that , pills for everything eh?

I recommend firstly throw out all your pills, then use the money you save to fly the the amazon basin, find a good shaman and take ayahuasca. Plant medicine is the best medicine for body,mind and soul.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8714482344821425610

peace

OM
Isola
Posted 2007-07-25 5:10 AM (#92494 - in reply to #79222)

I took anti depressants for about a year. They worked really well for me, made me sleep a bit better, took the edge of the worst anxiety and gave me a little bit more energy so that I could work on the root cause of the problem. I took the pills for a year, as a part of my treatment that also included weekly visits to a psychiatrist. I would never have taken the pills if I hadn't gone to therapy at the same time, I don't believe that anti depressants are miracle drugs that solves anything, it has to be combined with some kind of therapy in order to work. What anti depressants do is to balance the chemicals in the brain, it doesn't fix anything in the heart and soul.

I stopped taking the pills last March since they started to make me tired, which was an indicator that my mind and body no longer needed to "take the edge off". I continued with my therapy for about 4 months after I stopped taking the meds.

Hope that helped a little bit.

/Jenny
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)