YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Back bends and bandas
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

iandicker
Posted 2007-03-07 4:07 AM (#79400)
Subject: Back bends and bandas

I've been reading the posts about core strengthening and down dog and was wondering if any of you experienced yogis could explain how the bandas work in back bends.

I know that SKPJ doesn't teach many backbends until the 2nd series so that you can build up your core strength first. Until I came to ashtanga I was regularly doing cobra, locust and camel in my morning practice, but have stopped all those postures as they're not in the primary series.

I have only recently started being able to do upward bow with any real stability however. I've been working towards it slowly, adding one breath at a time, as much to protect my wrists as my back. Any tips?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-07 7:10 AM (#79405 - in reply to #79400)
Subject: RE: Back bends and bandas

If you are trying to follow exercise style called Ashtanga, then follow that system for a prolonged time before you mix other things with it. If you are following another style, do that for a while. ETC.
iandicker
Posted 2007-03-07 7:34 AM (#79408 - in reply to #79405)

Thanks Neel,

I'm not mixing anything else with ashtanga, I'm sticking with the primary series. I thought I'd made that plain in my post. My question was relating to how bandas work in backbending.

Ian
Nick
Posted 2007-03-07 7:58 AM (#79411 - in reply to #79400)

ian****er - 2007-03-07 9:07 AM

I've been reading the posts about core strengthening and down dog and was wondering if any of you experienced yogis could explain how the bandas work in back bends.

I know that SKPJ doesn't teach many backbends until the 2nd series so that you can build up your core strength first. Until I came to ashtanga I was regularly doing cobra, locust and camel in my morning practice, but have stopped all those postures as they're not in the primary series.

I have only recently started being able to do upward bow with any real stability however. I've been working towards it slowly, adding one breath at a time, as much to protect my wrists as my back. Any tips?

Hi Ian,
I think we covered this recently in another post, but here goes. First of all, add the backbends you used to do-you could do them before/instead of urdvha dhanurasana-this is an option-if you really want to stick to the original, by all means go ahead.
Lets look at bandha-because the abdominal muscles attach to the pelvis, rib cage, and spine, they obviously affect the positions of the spine, pelvis and rib cage. If we simplify bandha a bit, and just look at rectus abdominus, which runs from the pubic bone to the sternum, you will see that contracting the muscle with sufficient force will do one of two things-either pull the ribs down or lift the pubic bone up (which will result in hip extension). If you are doing ujjayi breathing, the ribs will be elevated, and the action of bandha then lifts the pubic bone.
You mention your wrists-any injuries there? When you are going into updog, try to pull yourself over the floor, keeping your body parallel to it for as long as possible-this also helps to activate bandha and pulls the body into alignment. At a certain point the spine will begin to extend-at this point, you will want to push down to lift yourself into the posture. For this reason, many people do not ever get a good backbend out of the 50-70 updogs in a typical astanga class (thirty in the sun salutes, then one in each vinyasa). Try to keep the pull on the hands, which presses the fingers into the floor, and also pulls the elbows back, so that the wrist and elbows are not hyper-extended, but are positioned more optimally.
When you get to the posture, check again how your hands engage the floor-are you pressing down, or pulling back? Pressing down will use the pectoralis on the front of the chest, pulling back will use the latissimus dorsi (shoulder extension). This is another reason students don't ever get a decent backbend, which really means the sun salutes and vinyasa are a wasted opportunity.
Take care, hope that gets you started.

Nick
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-07 8:37 AM (#79421 - in reply to #79408)

ian****er - 2007-03-07 7:34 AM

Thanks Neel,

I'm not mixing anything else with ashtanga, I'm sticking with the primary series. I thought I'd made that plain in my post. My question was relating to how bandas work in backbending.

Ian

Sorry Ian. So, the Ashtanga Primary Series uses Bandhas in the backbends. May be I should look at it again.
iandicker
Posted 2007-03-07 8:57 AM (#79426 - in reply to #79421)

Thanks Nick,

Firstly, I don't think there is anything up with my wrists. Sometimes they get strained at work due to lifting heavy boxes etc, and there was some pain there when I started urdvha dhanurasana which is one of the reasons I'm going slowly.
I try to pull through on my downdog following one of your earlier posts. I think that has helped me progress in this pose too.
My hand placement is a bit of a problem though. I still find they tend to slip away from my head slightly when I go up, even though I do the pose on my sticky mat. I'm wondering if I ought to move my hands away a bit more.
Should I be pressing or pulling? You didn't make that plain.

Ian
Nick
Posted 2007-03-07 9:32 AM (#79431 - in reply to #79426)

ian****er - 2007-03-07 1:57 PM

Thanks Nick,

Firstly, I don't think there is anything up with my wrists. Sometimes they get strained at work due to lifting heavy boxes etc, and there was some pain there when I started urdvha dhanurasana which is one of the reasons I'm going slowly.
I try to pull through on my downdog following one of your earlier posts. I think that has helped me progress in this pose too.
My hand placement is a bit of a problem though. I still find they tend to slip away from my head slightly when I go up, even though I do the pose on my sticky mat. I'm wondering if I ought to move my hands away a bit more.
Should I be pressing or pulling? You didn't make that plain.

Ian

Hi Ian,
Well, both press and pull-but the action is in pulling, as in front crawl. But as in front crawl, the pull of the arms creates a resistance for you to overcome, which then drives you into the posture. So as you pull, you should find that you press harder.
What realy helps me with this posture is lifting from uttanasana to chaturanga dandasana. When people jump back, they often end up with the feet too far from the hands. If you can lift back, the feet are closer to the hands, and you will feel like you are bearing more weight on the arms. I think this is helpful in encouraging shoulder extension in the next posture, updog.
The other thing that is helpful is hand placement in uttanasana. In the martial arts, they know the value of pronating the forearm just before the moment of a punch's impact-it imparts a massive force. In the sun salute, you should always feels the forearm pronating when you need that extra push-updog, lifting, vinyasa and so forth. The result of the forearm pronating is that the knuckle of the index finger gets pressed into the floor. If you can imagine an unpopular person's face underneath your hands, then that should help you express a bit more force

Nick
riftweaver
Posted 2007-03-07 10:44 AM (#79447 - in reply to #79431)

Argh, I had a full response and my browser crashed... re-creation time!

Nick - 2007-03-07 9:32 AM
Well, both press and pull-but the action is in pulling, as in front crawl. But as in front crawl, the pull of the arms creates a resistance for you to overcome, which then drives you into the posture. So as you pull, you should find that you press harder.

I'm defnitely learning to look for this kind of opportunity to create leverage in my postures. I started thinking about this after reading Ganga White's recent book, he talks about looking to create leverage in the postures, in order to create more extension, etc. Reading these concrete examples is helpful.

What realy helps me with this posture is lifting from uttanasana to chaturanga dandasana. When people jump back, they often end up with the feet too far from the hands. If you can lift back, the feet are closer to the hands, and you will feel like you are bearing more weight on the arms. I think this is helpful in encouraging shoulder extension in the next posture, updog.

Yes, IF you can lift back. Myself, I still step back, to both protect my SI, and accomodate my slowly-healing shoulder injury. I hope to someday lift and float... but that day is distant, from where I'm sitting now. Heh.

The other thing that is helpful is hand placement in uttanasana. In the martial arts, they know the value of pronating the forearm just before the moment of a punch's impact-it imparts a massive force. In the sun salute, you should always feels the forearm pronating when you need that extra push-updog, lifting, vinyasa and so forth. The result of the forearm pronating is that the knuckle of the index finger gets pressed into the floor. If you can imagine an unpopular person's face underneath your hands, then that should help you express a bit more force
Nick

By pronate, you mean to rotate the forearm in, and create a spirallic action? This sounds like what I learned to do in upward plank pose, when I was encouraged to make the insides of the elbows face each other to make the arms stable while holding that action. (Then turning the elbows back "up" for the lowering into chatturanga.) Of course, I don't have flat hands in uttanasana either. But I will remember to re-examine how and where I am using this action. I don't think I actively use it outside of that one area, at least not consciously.

I love the things I'm learning around here the last couple of weeks!

--Jason
Nick
Posted 2007-03-07 11:05 AM (#79452 - in reply to #79447)

Hi Ian,
"Yes, IF you can lift back. Myself, I still step back, to both protect my SI, and accomodate my slowly-healing shoulder injury. I hope to someday lift and float... but that day is distant, from where I'm sitting now. Heh."

Don't worry about that-if stepping back is making your SI more stable because you are utlizing bandha, then all well and good-my concern is for those who jump back, and often end up shearing the various structures such as the SI that are supposed to be protected-you are training, they are injuring. Victory will be yours

Yes, you have the action of pronation-but you should be searching for supination/pronation in all postures. In triangle, for instance, you can use the forearm to get the right rotation in the shoulder joints, so usually, both forearms are supinating, so that the palms face forwards-usually you will see the mistake of allowing pronation of the hand, so that both shoulders rotate internally, pushing the torso off correct alignment. In warrior 2, the hand pronates, so that the pit of the elbow faces forwards (so that if you bend your elbows, your forearm goes along a horizontal arc). Then the forearm pronates, to turn the palms of the hands towards the floor-the arms are not just straight!

Nick
Nick
Posted 2007-03-07 11:18 AM (#79457 - in reply to #79452)

and another thing! You, especially, need to have your hands flat on the floor in uttanasana, otherwise it's a fair bet that you are cranking your SI joints open in the forward bend-if this means flexing the knees, so be it. Over time, you will become more dynamically flexible, so that tight hams will not pull on the pelvis, and you will be able to flex at the hips and extend at the knees to perform the posture well and safely.

Nick
riftweaver
Posted 2007-03-07 11:31 AM (#79460 - in reply to #79457)

Nick - 2007-03-07 11:18 AMand another thing! You, especially, need to have your hands flat on the floor in uttanasana, otherwise it's a fair bet that you are cranking your SI joints open in the forward bend-if this means flexing the knees, so be it. Over time, you will become more dynamically flexible, so that tight hams will not pull on the pelvis, and you will be able to flex at the hips and extend at the knees to perform the posture well and safely.Nick

(And it was Jason, not ian )

Thanks. Flat hands in uttanasana, eh? Alright, I'll take that to heart (and practice). John Scott actually talks about starting uttanasana with flat hands. I'll definitely need a lot of knee bending for that, even with the hip bending that I am doing now.

Interesting thoughts on pronation and supination, I'll keep looking for those "spirals."

--Jason
Nick
Posted 2007-03-07 11:38 AM (#79462 - in reply to #79460)

Sorry Jason,
Got confused!
Nick
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-03-19 8:30 AM (#80390 - in reply to #79431)

Nick - 2007-03-07 9:32 AM I think this is helpful in encouraging shoulder extension in the next posture, updog. The other thing that is helpful is hand placement in uttanasana. In the martial arts, they know the value of pronating the forearm just before the moment of a punch's impact-it imparts a massive force. In the sun salute, you should always feels the forearm pronating when you need that extra push-updog, lifting, vinyasa and so forth. The result of the forearm pronating is that the knuckle of the index finger gets pressed into the floor. If you can imagine an unpopular person's face underneath your hands, then that should help you express a bit more force Nick

Hi Nick,

I've been thinking about your words here since I first read them, trying to understand the difference between the actions and movements involved in moving into updog, for the purposes not only in my own practice but also in explaining it when I'm teaching/training. I understand the index finger connection, how that engages the shoulderblade, and so I get the pronation of the forearm. I also understand that the upper arm is, in essence, in outward rotation, so that the eye of the elbow stays facing front and chest and collarbones don't become constricted. My problem, I think, is that I seamlessly switch back and forth in my instructions between describing movements to be done and actions to be experienced, because that's how I personally evaluate what my body is doing, but when communicating it to individuals who don't have a very developed body awareness, my instructions are lost on them. Maybe I should be posting this on the Yoga Teachers forum, because you see that it's the teaching points I have trouble getting across more than anything else. I liked your example of the boxer, that worked perfectly for me, taking into account that I know how the arms are supposed to "look" in updog, so layering in an action over a movement or position is fine for me to understand. But for most people (and especially the beginners who I need to be exceedingly clear for, or else I'll lose them as an audience), I think it's just too subtle. Or at least that's been the experience I've had with all the beginners I've worked with (which is pretty much everyone).

So what am I asking you? Not quite sure. How's this: have you found it difficult in explaining to beginners the difference between actions and movements, or is it just my lack of experience as a teacher coupled with my own ability to know these subtleties intuitively? They say that when you have an injury, you get to understand the mechanics of the injured area of the body much better than the "average" person, especially as you learn to rehab it. OK, so I've been doing my part, got my long list of injuries, so my homework's pretty much up to par there.

Nick
Posted 2007-03-19 9:02 AM (#80392 - in reply to #80390)

OrangeMat - 2007-03-19 1:30 PM

Nick - 2007-03-07 9:32 AM I think this is helpful in encouraging shoulder extension in the next posture, updog. The other thing that is helpful is hand placement in uttanasana. In the martial arts, they know the value of pronating the forearm just before the moment of a punch's impact-it imparts a massive force. In the sun salute, you should always feels the forearm pronating when you need that extra push-updog, lifting, vinyasa and so forth. The result of the forearm pronating is that the knuckle of the index finger gets pressed into the floor. If you can imagine an unpopular person's face underneath your hands, then that should help you express a bit more force Nick

Hi Nick,

I've been thinking about your words here since I first read them, trying to understand the difference between the actions and movements involved in moving into updog, for the purposes not only in my own practice but also in explaining it when I'm teaching/training. I understand the index finger connection, how that engages the shoulderblade, and so I get the pronation of the forearm. I also understand that the upper arm is, in essence, in outward rotation, so that the eye of the elbow stays facing front and chest and collarbones don't become constricted. My problem, I think, is that I seamlessly switch back and forth in my instructions between describing movements to be done and actions to be experienced, because that's how I personally evaluate what my body is doing, but when communicating it to individuals who don't have a very developed body awareness, my instructions are lost on them. Maybe I should be posting this on the Yoga Teachers forum, because you see that it's the teaching points I have trouble getting across more than anything else. I liked your example of the boxer, that worked perfectly for me, taking into account that I know how the arms are supposed to "look" in updog, so layering in an action over a movement or position is fine for me to understand. But for most people (and especially the beginners who I need to be exceedingly clear for, or else I'll lose them as an audience), I think it's just too subtle. Or at least that's been the experience I've had with all the beginners I've worked with (which is pretty much everyone).

So what am I asking you? Not quite sure. How's this: have you found it difficult in explaining to beginners the difference between actions and movements, or is it just my lack of experience as a teacher coupled with my own ability to know these subtleties intuitively? They say that when you have an injury, you get to understand the mechanics of the injured area of the body much better than the "average" person, especially as you learn to rehab it. OK, so I've been doing my part, got my long list of injuries, so my homework's pretty much up to par there.

Hi OM,
Ha, no, it's one of the hardest things, and the fact that you are aware of your limitations can only encourage a better understanding and a better way of communicating. A favourite quote of mine is "show me the patient." You have to tailor the instructions according to the individual.
I think a really good thing to experience in the shoulders during the sun salute can be taught with the following exercise.
Stand with your feet hip width apart. Hold you arms out in front of you with the palms facing the floor. The shoulder joint is in internal rotation and flexed to 90 degrees. Now turn the palms of the hands to face the ceiling. The arm rotates externally, creating a spiral. You should feel the scapula retract slightly, and the shoulder joint feels very stable.
Now, you can use this spiral thoughout the whole sun salute. It will turn the hands to face each other as you stretch your arms up to the ceiling, it will pull your torso into extension when you look up and are about to jump back, as well as stabilizing the shoulder joint, it will pull you over your hands when you are lifting, so that the feet land closer to the hands when you lift back, it will pull your elbows back by activating latissimus as you descend to the floor in chaturanga dandasana, it will extend your shoulders and torso through into upward dog, and pull you into the correct posture in down dog. The lift forwards is also improved. Encourage your students to look for sticking points and energy leaks in the sun salute, and ask whether the shoulders are following the correct actions at that moment in the movements and/or postures.
Hope that helps.

Nick
tourist
Posted 2007-03-19 10:00 AM (#80399 - in reply to #80392)

Expert Yogi

OM - for new "raw" beginners, they generally need to learn the shape (or architecture) of the pose first. In the beginning "arms straight" is probably the best instruction. Everything else will be more than they can handle.

nick - I will just add that in the example you describe, it is possible for students to turn the palms to face the ceiling without rotating the arm out. I find I have to specify the the whole arm must rotate, right from the shoulder joint, otherwise people just flip the palm over.
Nick
Posted 2007-03-19 10:19 AM (#80406 - in reply to #80399)

Hi Glenda,
Well, I can't-the wirst won't supinate enough-I have to externally rotate the shoulder, in order to get the palms to face up. maybe I'm tighter than I thought

Nick
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-03-19 1:20 PM (#80459 - in reply to #80392)

Nick -- I have to laugh, because the exercise you described is exactly the one I showed my husband this morning (NOT a yoga person at all), just to see if "the layman" could understand the difference in feeling between internal and external arm rotation, regardless of hand and wrist position. See, that's more my difficulty, knowing what the average person will "get", because my awarenesses aren't average, so I really just don't know what's considered to be commonly understood. Because honestly, when I've tried to teach that arm position to the people I work with, they get what they're supposed to be feeling, from my words and my demonstrations and even these simple sorts of exercises. But when they try to put these principles in action, such as in a very basic sun salute, they collapse onto themselves saying a litany of "I can't"s. It's very frustrating, for everyone involved.

Tourist -- yes, I do know that just making the basic shape of the pose is the primary objective of the "raw" beginner. But when they complain they can't even do that.... maybe my mirrors are all to blame. My work space is designed as a fitness room, with mirrored walls. No matter how much I tell them don't look in the mirror, it's not going to tell you anything, they still do, and then are disappointed that the shapes their bodies are making don't look anything like the ones mine is, or even when I don't demonstrate, they're not what they think they're supposed to look like. And I really don't want to be telling them to close the eyes in something like Warrior I, considering they're almost falling down with the eyes open!

I guess I just have to accept Nick's words that teaching actions rather than movements is really a tough thing, and so I should feel confident in what I know regardless, and just expect an uphill journey there. Thanks, to both of you!

TampaEric
Posted 2007-03-19 1:59 PM (#80462 - in reply to #79400)

I could wrong, but this reminds me of hyperextension.

Some people (myself included) are able to completely rotate the wrists and keep the elbow very still. Yoga tends to draw-in these flexi-people and they have different issues. Hyperextension people do all kinds of things different. I've noticed Halasana for example, the hyperextended people will roll the elbow out and distort their arms. I've seen a few long-timers that have this strange s-shape to arms. I try to microbend my elbows and knees to prevent damage, but it is such a strange thing.

When I first learned downdog, I had to make an effort to have the eyes of the elbows face each other. Or when I did standing poses my straight legs were passed vertical alignment and I would not be able to balance. The worst part was learning Bikram and the instructor yelling at us to lock the leg. This would send me way of balance.

Eric
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-03-19 2:13 PM (#80463 - in reply to #80462)

TampaEric - 2007-03-19 1:59 PM When I first learned downdog, I had to make an effort to have the eyes of the elbows face each other.

I've learned it that the eyes of the elbows face forward, which is part of the outward spiral of the upper arm. The index finger and thumb pads press into the mat, creating the inner spiral. No locked joints, ever, but straight arms, yes. Now when I turn my arms to have the eyes of the elbows face forward, they are not completely parallel with the top of my mat, but that's just my particular body. But I am doing it "right" since that's the direction I'm moving them toward. Other people, the ones with the funky elbow joints, can turn the elbow complete out, doing that hyperextension thing you're talking about. The joint position comes from bone and muscle itself, rather than at just the joint. Does that make sense? Ugh, it's so frustrating sometimes when I understand something intuitively but don't know if I know the right words to explain it.

Nick
Posted 2007-03-19 2:48 PM (#80466 - in reply to #80459)

Hi Om,
Yep, no one said it was easy. What I do is make it as easy as possible-for instance, when people put their hands on the floor to lift back, I may tell them to bend their knees. If they can do it with their legs straight, fine. The other thing is, when people lift back, the pelvis must not be above the heels, but more above the hands-this effectively lengthens the arms and torso, and shortens the legs, so that it is easier or possible position the shoulders-so when people say they cannot do it, it's because they are not allowing leeway in another joint besides the shoulders.
Nick
TampaEric
Posted 2007-03-19 3:27 PM (#80469 - in reply to #80463)

Hi Orangemat,

I don't know? Since I'm at work right now I will have to try some of this later when I practice.

I have been taught by lots of different teachers, so sometimes my practice borrows from that. I know some of my first teachers use anusara. then I went to bikram and ashtanga, forrest...

So, tomorrow I will try to respond...with some clarity. I do not get the spiral of this action because my wrists rotate without tension in the arm. This is not a place I go in my practice because it seems to reinforce the hypermobility in it. The eyes of my elbows would be looking straight ahead. Is this something I should try? Maybe I am missing out on something???

I could be missing the point of this post all together. I'm a little confused. When I read Nick's post I can't seem to find the rotation that would help me without really hyperextending myself. It actually feels a little dangerous to me.

Eric
Nick
Posted 2007-03-19 4:26 PM (#80473 - in reply to #80469)

Hi Eric,
Try this: If you stand with your arm stretched out, and get someone to pull on your wrist a bit-now pull on them, keeping your arm straight, pulling by pulling with your shoulder blade muscles. You should find that the tension between you has tightened your arm into a straight line-probably with the pit of the elbow facing sideways (assuming the palm of your hand is facing the floor). So this action should help to keep the elbow from hyper-extending, not encourage it.

Nick
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-03-19 4:30 PM (#80475 - in reply to #80473)

Nick - 2007-03-19 4:26 PM Hi Eric, Try this: If you stand with your arm stretched out, and get someone to pull on your wrist a bit-now pull on them, keeping your arm straight, pulling by pulling with your shoulder blade muscles. You should find that the tension between you has tightened your arm into a straight line-probably with the pit of the elbow facing sideways (assuming the palm of your hand is facing the floor). So this action should help to keep the elbow from hyper-extending, not encourage it. Nick

You know what would happen if someone did this exercise on me? My wrist would separate from my arm. Nice, eh?

I know, I know, have them pull on the bottom of my forearm, no issues with hypermobility at my elbows, well, at least not as much as with my wrists (ankles too, btw). At least I never have to worry about hyperextension issues!

Edited by OrangeMat 2007-03-19 4:40 PM
TampaEric
Posted 2007-03-19 4:57 PM (#80478 - in reply to #79400)

Thanks Nick!

I will try it out. I am going to practice tonight with good intentions on exploring the spiral and lifts. I will try it with jumpbacks. I can "float" forward but not back yet.

OrangMat, tomorrow...updates
Nick
Posted 2007-03-19 5:20 PM (#80479 - in reply to #80475)

Hi Om,
You have wrist problems (my speciality-I'm salivating ). If i was a dog I'd be straining at the leash
Nick
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)