YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Back bends and bandas
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Nick
Posted 2007-03-23 10:24 PM (#81023 - in reply to #81022)
Subject: RE: Back bends and bandas

OrangeMat - 2007-03-24 3:15 AM

Interesting exercise. Though maybe rather than just pointing what is wrong, suggestions can be made for what to do that will correct the pose. Such as with the observation that the "hands are abducted" -- layperson's terms is the hands are touching, yes? I would suggest beginning the pose with the arms in "cactus arms" position, or goalpost arms, whatever you'd like to call it, palms facing forward, elbows tilted slightly up in the same direction as the heart is moving. This brings the shoulders down and back into the back. Once the backbend of the pose is established (yes, with the proper tucking of the tailbone and the thighs pressing toward the midline of the body), extend the arms back and lengthen the neck to open the throat as well.

Hi Om,
Abduction of the hand is when you bend it sideways towards the little finger (this is why I used the anatomical term-it makes life simpler ) To get the hands to press together would require adduction at the shoulder joint (bringing the arm towards the midline) and extension at the wrist.
Take care
Nick
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick
Posted 2007-03-24 7:12 AM (#81051 - in reply to #80730)

Hi all,
I think I said, I like the backbends like cresent moon because we are more free to experiment with pelvic tilt. But like all backbends, it offers different opportunities during both the movement into the posture, and the posture itself.
The lady in the photo is pulling the front knee into flexion-what this naturally does is flex the pelvis-note how the brim of the pelvis is drawn onto the front thigh. partly because of this, the lumbar spine is hyper-extending. The sacro-iliac joint is unstable. the hip flexors are not truly lengthened (the origin of the muscles on the front of the lumbar spine and the brim of the pelvis at the rear, are being brought closer to the insertion on the femur-no stretch, or little).
If, instead, she attempted to extend the hip of the front leg, so that the brim of the pelvis is pulled away from the thigh, the spine is more aligned, the SI joints are positioned more optimally, and the potential for stretch of the hip flexors is gained-depending on how skilfully and how powerfully the hips are extended.
This action should also help to align the shoulder and arm, which at the moment are in cohorts with the mistakes made at the hips-so the two mistakes perpetuate each other. I think.

Nick
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-03-24 8:24 AM (#81056 - in reply to #81023)

Hi Nick,

I'm sorry, I'm still not getting the abduction of the hands thing. You're saying that her hands are bent at the wrist, pinkie side, yes? Maybe I'm looking at the picture wrong, but it seems that her wrists are bent on the thumb side, so I must still be missing your point.

Wait, I think I understand. This anatomical stuff always been problematic for, though I do know the difference between abduction (moving away from the midline of the body) and adduction (moving toward the midline of the body). Humor me here, 'kay? From the standard anatomical position (arms straight by the sides, palms forward), to abduct the hand at the wrist, the angle between pinkie and forearm gets bigger, right? That would also make the angle between thumb and forearm get smaller, fine. That makes sense from what I see in the picture as well as your first comment, but you said to bend sideways towards the little finger, so was that a typo?

Nick
Posted 2007-03-24 8:32 AM (#81058 - in reply to #81056)

Hi Om,
No, sorry, my mistake-abduction is side-bending towards the thumb-sorry about that. It wasn't a typo, it was a brain failure.

Nick
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-03-24 8:55 AM (#81060 - in reply to #81058)

Yay, I understood then!!

Nick
Posted 2007-03-24 9:19 AM (#81064 - in reply to #81060)

hi Om,
Good detective work as well
Nick
slowpie6
Posted 2007-03-24 2:00 PM (#81082 - in reply to #79400)

Hi yall, coming in a bit late in the game, but I thought I would since I can clarify what OM was talking about in a post on page 3 that seems to have some folks confused. If I'm not mistaken, the quad stretch that OM is describing, with the sort of lunge position and the shin pressed against the wall, is a variation of eka pada rajakapotasana sometimes referred to as the Screaming Pigeon. I had read about it before on yogajournal.com in reference to a series of postures designed to open the hips. Here's the link to the whole thing (It's number 6 on the list): http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/1996.cfm#

And here's the picture:

(Screaming Pigeon.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Screaming Pigeon.JPG (17KB - 71 downloads)
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-03-24 8:36 PM (#81098 - in reply to #81082)

Screaming Pigeon, yes! Love that name! And when you take the arms up to cactus against the wall, it becoming Screaming Pigeon at the Firing Squad! Not very yogic, I know...

iandicker
Posted 2007-03-25 4:40 AM (#81105 - in reply to #81098)

Nick,

I love the idea about going through a posture every week. It would suit me (though I guess not everyone is a devotee to ashtanga) to go through the standing, fundamental and finishing asanas of the primary series.

Is this the time to start a blog????

Ian
Nick
Posted 2007-03-25 7:33 AM (#81108 - in reply to #81105)

Hi Ian,
Start a blog? Yes,I've been threatening to for some time-I am a bit worried that it's going to take up too much of my time-and also, it basically means throwing my whole book on-line-people won't understand what I'm talking about unless they see the whole picture-one of the problems with going into this stuff on this site. Pick a posture that you want to analyze, we'll go from there.

Nick
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)