YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mantras
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Kundalini YogaMessage format

redvelvetroses
Posted 2007-03-07 3:56 PM (#79505)
Subject: Mantras

Hi My name is Victoria. Im 23 from NYC and Im new to kundalini. I had my my 1st class last fri. I loved it. It ended up just being my mother, myself and the instructor. During the deepest breathing I felt my arms and legs fall asleep and then go kinda numb. I put my mat under the big skylight. I have never felt so much peace. I loved the chanting. I was a bit shy at 1st bc I didnt know if I was saying it right but then I stopped caring and just got really into it. I cant wait for this weeks class. Would anyone happen to have a list of the mantras most used and how to pronounce them?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-07 4:10 PM (#79510 - in reply to #79505)
Subject: RE: Mantras

I think they shall have a book which shall have those chants used by the Kundalini Yoga Style. See the bookshop. Also, ask your teacher.

Kaos
Posted 2007-06-02 5:01 PM (#88271 - in reply to #79505)

The Mangala Charn Mantra

AD GURAY NAMEH, JUGAD GURAY NAMEH,
SAT GURAY NAMEH, SIRI GURU DEVAY NAMEH

This is the Mangala Charn Mantra, and is chanted for protection. It surrounds the magnetic field with protective light, and means "I bow to the primal Guru (guiding consciousness who takes us to God-Realization), I bow to wisdom through the ages, I bow to True Wisdom, I bow to the great, unseen wisdom."

Edited by Kaos 2007-06-02 5:02 PM
bipinjoshi
Posted 2007-06-02 10:51 PM (#88295 - in reply to #79505)

redvelvetroses - 2007-03-07 2:56 PM

Hi My name is Victoria. Im 23 from NYC and Im new to kundalini. I had my my 1st class last fri. I loved it. It ended up just being my mother, myself and the instructor. During the deepest breathing I felt my arms and legs fall asleep and then go kinda numb. I put my mat under the big skylight. I have never felt so much peace. I loved the chanting. I was a bit shy at 1st bc I didnt know if I was saying it right but then I stopped caring and just got really into it. I cant wait for this weeks class. Would anyone happen to have a list of the mantras most used and how to pronounce them?

For the sake of answering this specific question I will classify Mantras as Vedik (belonging to Vedas and Upanishads), Puranik (belonging to Puranas) and Tantrik (belonging to Tantra). All the three kinds of Mantras can be used in Kundalini awakening. However, Vedik mantras generally take Jana route, Puranik mantras take more of devotional route where as Tantrik mantras and Bija mantras take more direct approach to Kundalini awakening. Especially Bija mantras of Kundalini Yoga are effective if you wish to follow direct path to Kundalini Yoga. Bija mantras are relatively easy to pronounce (still there are chances of faulty pronunciation, length, ascent etc.) and can be learnt from books but some Tantrik mantras can be really difficult to utter unless you learn them from a qualified and experienced teacher.

Edited by bipinjoshi 2007-06-02 10:54 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-02 10:57 PM (#88297 - in reply to #88271)

Kaos - 2007-06-02 5:01 PM

The Mangala Charn Mantra

AD GURAY NAMEH, JUGAD GURAY NAMEH,
SAT GURAY NAMEH, SIRI GURU DEVAY NAMEH

===> aadi gurave namaH, jagadgurave namaH
sadgurave namaH, shree gurudevaaya namaH

This is the Mangala Charn Mantra, and is chanted for protection. It surrounds the magnetic field with protective light, and means "I bow to the primal Guru (guiding consciousness who takes us to God-Realization), I bow to wisdom through the ages, I bow to True Wisdom, I bow to the great, unseen wisdom."

Kaos
Posted 2007-06-02 11:29 PM (#88300 - in reply to #79505)

Om bhur bhuvah svah tat savitur varenyam bhargo devasya dhimahi dhiyo
yo nah pracodayat.

"Om. Earth. Mid-region. Heaven. Let us contemplate the most excellent splendor of Savitri,
that he may inspire our visions."

This is the famous Vedic gayatri-mantra.
Kaos
Posted 2007-06-03 6:25 AM (#88305 - in reply to #79505)

A note of caution. A mantra should be recited with the right intonation, and pace as learned from one's teacher and also on realizing the essense behind the sound.

Otherwise, it is useless.

For the sake of discussion, an example of a bija (seed syllable), which can be used on their own or in conjunction with other power sounds, is hlim-raksha bija (see syllable for protection).

Edited by Kaos 2007-06-03 6:34 AM
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-03 10:49 AM (#88321 - in reply to #88305)

Fantastic Avatar. See ===> Below.

Kaos - 2007-06-03 6:25 AM

A note of caution. A mantra should be recited with the right intonation, and pace as learned from one's teacher and also on realizing the essense behind the sound.

===> That is not true. There are two types of mantras. One = dvanipradhaana where sound (dvani) is more important (pradhaana). Second = arthapradhaana where meaning (artha) is more important. And, there are some which have both qualities. And, there are some, especially tantrick, where connect intonation is must, otherwise result can be different from you want. But,

===> Any mantra where the intention is spiritual, can be sung proper devotion. And, it is bound to give the spiritual benefit.

===> However, it is best to pronounce the mantras correctly, as it can only be beneficial.

For the sake of discussion, an example of a bija (seed syllable), which can be used on their own or in conjunction with other power sounds, is hlim-raksha bija (see syllable for protection).

Kaos
Posted 2007-06-03 12:16 PM (#88330 - in reply to #88321)

kulkarnn - 2007-06-03 10:49 AM

A mantra should be recited with the right intonation, and pace as learned from one's teacher and also on realizing the essense behind the sound.

===> That is not true. There are two types of mantras. One = dvanipradhaana where sound (dvani) is more important (pradhaana). Second = arthapradhaana where meaning (artha) is more important. And, there are some which have both qualities. And, there are some, especially tantrick, where connect intonation is must, otherwise result can be different from you want. But,

===> Any mantra where the intention is spiritual, can be sung proper devotion. And, it is bound to give the spiritual benefit.

===> However, it is best to pronounce the mantras correctly, as it can only be beneficial.

The Kula-Arnava-Tantra (15.61) states that a mantra lacking in "consciousness" is just like any other sound.

Mantras without consciousness are said to be mere letters. They yield no result even after a trillion recitations. Therefore, they are useless.
They might not even prove to be beneficial if the result is different from what you want.
Therefore, it follows that they should be handled with caution.

However, if people will still insist that they are getting some "spiritual benefit" from singing mantras regardless whether it is done incorrectly, who am I to stop them.

Edited by Kaos 2007-06-03 12:17 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-03 3:14 PM (#88345 - in reply to #88330)

Kaos - 2007-06-03 12:16 PM

kulkarnn - 2007-06-03 10:49 AM

A mantra should be recited with the right intonation, and pace as learned from one's teacher and also on realizing the essense behind the sound.

The Kula-Arnava-Tantra (15.61) states that a mantra lacking in "consciousness" is just like any other sound.

===> Yes Dear Kaos. That is what I wrote above, that the tantrick mantras have this necessity. Now, you have used the word consciousness, and in the past you said intonation-etc. But, all the same. And, that is why these mantras are NOT for every situation. And, that is why they are less useful to average student than the following. See below ===>.

Mantras without consciousness are said to be mere letters. They yield no result even after a trillion recitations. Therefore, they are useless.
===> No, they are not useless. Once a person knows that the benefit is not coming, he/she will seek the reason. If the reason is related to intonation, he/she shall correct it.

They might not even prove to be beneficial if the result is different from what you want.
Therefore, it follows that they should be handled with caution.

However, if people will still insist that they are getting some "spiritual benefit" from singing mantras regardless whether it is done incorrectly, who am I to stop them.

===> Mahamantras such as those given out by saints do not have necessity of intonation. These mantras are for each and everyone and they give the spiritual benefit in time.

===> In fact, the mahamantras from Saints overtake all Yogic and Tantric mantras and practices in long run. And, they are the only one which give spiritual benefit. Yogic and Tantrick mantras give benefit upto certain stage. Later, they merge into the mahamantras. Therefore, in Vedas, which is the orginal mother of all tantrism, Buddism, Jainism, and even other later day religions including Christianity, Judaism, etc. after all the mantras they say:

hariH OM. which is a mahaamantra.

OM ShantiH.

Kaos
Posted 2007-06-04 9:59 AM (#88413 - in reply to #88345)

===> In fact, the mahamantras from Saints overtake all Yogic and Tantric mantras and practices in long run. And, they are the only one which give spiritual benefit. Yogic and Tantrick mantras give benefit upto certain stage. Later, they merge into the mahamantras. Therefore, in Vedas, which is the orginal mother of all tantrism, Buddism, Jainism, and even other later day religions including Christianity, Judaism, etc. after all the mantras they say:

hariH OM. which is a mahaamantra.

OM ShantiH.

Yes and no.
Again, in the Kula Arnava-Tantra, (2.10), it states that Shiva declares that he extracted the Tantric teachings by churning the "ocean of the Vedas and Agamas with the staff of wisdom."

It suggests that the Vedas were indeed the foundation of the Tantras. It is not that the Vedas are worthless in itself, only that the people of the Kali-yuga of our time are not capable of employing them successfully, therefore, the Tantra replaces the Vedas in this age of the Kali-yuga. There are even those like the Narayaniya Tantra that claim that the Vedas originated from the Tantras, not the other way.

Going back to the topic of mantras, yes I agree with you, that chanting of mantras may have some perceived "spiritual benefit", a feeling of wellness which is a good thing, but for the most part, the chanting of mantras if not done properly is useless. Perhaps, the mere act of chanting or even hearing the sounds by themselves, may open up some form of awakening in the individual is a good thing.

Also, the three most important requirements for proper recitation of the mantras are mindfulness, regularity and a large number of repetitions.

Namaste

Edited by Kaos 2007-06-04 10:09 AM
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-04 6:43 PM (#88451 - in reply to #79505)

Dear Kaos:

1. I fully agree with the last statement of yours, I mean 100 percent.

2. As for the rest, those are statements made by the teachers of particular methods, such as Tantra, to their students, I mean students of their path. There are other teachers who made statement that the only path suitable for KaliYuga is that of Devotion.

3. For the spiritual seeker, the mantra also called as remembering god, in any pronunciation, or any method is more than enough. This has been proven by many saints who had as their devotees many accomplished Yogis from Tantrism, etc.

Peace
Kaos
Posted 2007-06-04 10:14 PM (#88466 - in reply to #79505)

It is also important to keep a record of the number of repetitions when one chants mantras.

This is done by means of a rosary or mala, with 108 beads plus one "master bead" representing one's guru.

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-04 10:46 PM (#88471 - in reply to #88466)

Kaos - 2007-06-04 10:14 PM

It is also important to keep a record of the number of repetitions when one chants mantras.

This is done by means of a rosary or mala, with 108 beads plus one "master bead" representing one's guru.
===> I love that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Betsy
Posted 2007-06-10 9:39 PM (#89124 - in reply to #79505)

Victoria,

Here are some common mantras used in kundalini yoga:

http://www.kundaliniyoga.org/mantra.html

As Neel suggested, you can also ask your teacher for more info.

I'm glad you enjoyed your class.

Betsy
mishoga
Posted 2007-06-11 8:03 AM (#89160 - in reply to #79505)

Expert Yogi

I love this chant/mantra "ONG NAMO, GURU DEV NAMO"
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-11 9:59 AM (#89175 - in reply to #89160)

SisMishy: See your PMs.

mishoga - 2007-06-11 8:03 AM

mishoga
Posted 2007-06-11 1:20 PM (#89199 - in reply to #89175)

Expert Yogi

kulkarnn - 2007-06-11 9:59 AM

Neel, I did read my PM. I haven't replied because I was pondering on my response (I do this often when I'm not sure how to respond).
Believe it or not I haven't had a sufficient amount of time to sit and focus on your mantra. I have been working a lot, in my workshops, had some extra workshops in my schedule, getting ready for my broadcast appearance, taking care of kids and doctors appointments, etc.....
Tackling some health issues here with a few family members, which is taking all my spare time (not that I have a lot). And to top it off, all the stress is causing havoc on my emotional and physical well-being. I am so stressed. My heart is racing lately. I know I need to relax but I just can't.

I was told by a few fellow yogis in my community that I need to calm and balance my heart center.
This is what I am instructed to do but I don't even have an hour to myself to practice.

"Invite" the entire methodology.
2. 5-Point Sitting Posture with "4 Level of Straightness."
3. "Invite" the 3 main channels as described.
4. 9 Purification breaths- Visualize each channel, eliminate the associated "poison(s)" and replace with associated "positve attibute(s)."
5. Purify mind stream- with approriate "element" & following Mantra: RAM, YANG, MANG.
6. Strengthen "wind horses" and related energy zone with following Mantra: AH, OM, HUNG.
7. Perform "Heart Wind Horse" Tsa Lung followed by "Pervasive Wind Horse" Tsa Lung.
8. In "equipoise mudra" visualize sitting in a lotus and recite the following Mantra: OM MANI PADME HUM- Pronounce it like "AUM MANEE PAYMAY HUNGAUM....and repeat 108 times." It is repeated as a circular mantra.
9. Dedication.

What is your feelings on this?

I am feeling like I'm on the verge of massive anxiety, actually, I'm probably there already.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-11 2:22 PM (#89214 - in reply to #89199)

Darling Mishy: My PM does not talk about the Audio I sent to you. It addresses this issue only. So, kindly read it. It is 3 points only. Best luck.

Peace and Love

tourist
Posted 2007-06-11 7:18 PM (#89234 - in reply to #89199)

Expert Yogi

Mish - STOP!!! Seriously. you need to nurture yourself before you burn out and are unable to nurture others. You do not need a ten point program or anything to do with horses, unless it is going for a nice gentle ride in the woods. FQM or TQM (5 quiet minutes or ten quiet minutes) is 100% essential during times like this. You must make time in your day to do this, even if it is sitting in the car between appointments. No music, no breathing patterns, just quiet. It iwll be hard for you, I know, but you need it

Broadcast appearance - this could be at the root of all the anxiety. We know you are stressed about the whole idea. But what are you going to do on the broadcast? If it is an interview, you already know everything you need to say. If you are demonstrating, you should have a "back pocket" routine that you can do with minimal to zero prep. I'll concede that you may need to shop for a new outfit, but really, I did a TV thing years ago in a hand me down and everyone thought it was great. So scratch this off the list.

Health problems - another stress situation for you - scared of the doctor! You don't tell us much about it, but if it not a life threatening situation (which we all hope it isn't!!!) there is the possibility you don't need to be AS involved in it as you are. If you can detach even a little from this, it would be good.

Teaching and workshops. It is hard to give up teaching but sometimes you just gotta do it. If you are not having time to practice to the extent that you are feeling this stressed, you are setting a really bad example for your students. Get a sub, teach a restorative class where you join the students in the poses, teach a silent class, whatever you need to do. If I am tired at the end of a long stint of teaching, even a silent savasana where I don't talk the class through the relaxation can be a huge relief.

Take it easy and take CARE of yourself!!
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-11 11:04 PM (#89249 - in reply to #79505)

Good Scolding!!! Mish, you are lucky!
bipinjoshi
Posted 2007-06-11 11:51 PM (#89250 - in reply to #89199)

mishoga - 2007-06-11 12:20 PM

kulkarnn - 2007-06-11 9:59 AM

Neel, I did read my PM. I haven't replied because I was pondering on my response (I do this often when I'm not sure how to respond).
Believe it or not I haven't had a sufficient amount of time to sit and focus on your mantra. I have been working a lot, in my workshops, had some extra workshops in my schedule, getting ready for my broadcast appearance, taking care of kids and doctors appointments, etc.....
Tackling some health issues here with a few family members, which is taking all my spare time (not that I have a lot). And to top it off, all the stress is causing havoc on my emotional and physical well-being. I am so stressed. My heart is racing lately. I know I need to relax but I just can't.

I was told by a few fellow yogis in my community that I need to calm and balance my heart center.
This is what I am instructed to do but I don't even have an hour to myself to practice.

"Invite" the entire methodology.
2. 5-Point Sitting Posture with "4 Level of Straightness."
3. "Invite" the 3 main channels as described.
4. 9 Purification breaths- Visualize each channel, eliminate the associated "poison(s)" and replace with associated "positve attibute(s)."
5. Purify mind stream- with approriate "element" & following Mantra: RAM, YANG, MANG.
6. Strengthen "wind horses" and related energy zone with following Mantra: AH, OM, HUNG.
7. Perform "Heart Wind Horse" Tsa Lung followed by "Pervasive Wind Horse" Tsa Lung.
8. In "equipoise mudra" visualize sitting in a lotus and recite the following Mantra: OM MANI PADME HUM- Pronounce it like "AUM MANEE PAYMAY HUNGAUM....and repeat 108 times." It is repeated as a circular mantra.
9. Dedication.

What is your feelings on this?

I am feeling like I'm on the verge of massive anxiety, actually, I'm probably there already.

Hi Mish,
Sorry I am replying you even if you didn't asked it. Take it just as a friendly advice (or discard it if you wish).

Stress, anxiety and burn out are part and parcel of modern life. The problem with them is that many times people know that they are stressed but still "something" won't allow them to get rid of it. Recently I conducted a workshop on Concentration, Memory Improvement, Stress and Relaxation. There I asked participants to answer a set of question that indicate if they are stressed and burnout. Most of them were surprised to see that they demonstrate symptoms of stress and burnout in daily lives. Balancing heart center etc. is ok but the most important is to destroy the root cause. Without that any exercise will be useless in longer run. I wish you best for that and I am sure you will be fit and fine soon.

mishoga
Posted 2007-06-12 8:21 AM (#89267 - in reply to #79505)

Expert Yogi

Do you suggest meditation as means for exploration in the ways to destroy the root cause?
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-12 9:56 AM (#89271 - in reply to #89267)

I am not going to answer your question posed at Bipinji. He shall do so. But, I want to add:

- Dear Mishy: The type of meditation one does depend on that person's background. And, therefore, mediation should be formed after studying with an experienced teacher or by studying a method which can account for student's background.

mishoga - 2007-06-12 8:21 AM

Do you suggest meditation as means for exploration in the ways to destroy the root cause?
Cyndi
Posted 2007-06-12 10:11 AM (#89273 - in reply to #89267)

Expert Yogi

mishoga - 2007-06-12 8:21 AM Do you suggest meditation as means for exploration in the ways to destroy the root cause?

Hey Mishoga,

After what I just read....I would seriously look at your "balance" issues and "spreading yourself too thin" issues.  It's not easy being Super Mom and Super Woman.  We live in a society of over-achievers....which can kill you.

Having that said....I'll give you an example.  I've been making all these beeswax candles for this lady to sell at her store. In doing so it's got my wheels turning and I've already created something in the way of a small business.  Yesterday, I was putting the finishing touches on everything and realized something, I could see stress a-coming.  My husband was in my ear telling me, you can do this, open up a shop, and make tons of $$$.  All of a sudden I just said STOP!!  This has to be allowed to grow.  I can't think about those things that you're talking about because I'm not there yet and thinking about it was taking the joy, passion and fun out of what I was trying to accomplish.  This is where so many people make mistakes and where STRESS begins, it's also called putting the cart before the horse.

So, take several steps back and observe.  Then proceed slowly - in ALL of your affairs and practices...whatever they may bee,

Best wishes and good luck.  Oh yea...about all those mantras....

They can get really confusing can't they??  Om Mani Padme Hung or Hum is the mantra for the Buddha of Great Compassion, Avolakiteshvara, and in Tibet he is called Chenrezig. They say HH Dalai Lama is the incarnation of this Buddha - this is his mantra.  I think its very important to pick one mantra, or japa, and use it daily.  Quality is more important than Quantity.  Meanwhile....

Om Shanti Shanti Shanthi - Peace, Peace and lots of Peace

Edited by Cyndi 2007-06-12 10:20 AM
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)