YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mantras
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Kundalini YogaMessage format

mishoga
Posted 2007-06-12 11:23 AM (#89279 - in reply to #89273)
Subject: RE: Mantras

Expert Yogi

Cyndi - 2007-06-12 10:11 AM

mishoga - 2007-06-12 8:21 AM Do you suggest meditation as means for exploration in the ways to destroy the root cause?

Hey Mishoga,

After what I just read....I would seriously look at your "balance" issues and "spreading yourself too thin" issues.  It's not easy being Super Mom and Super Woman.  We live in a society of over-achievers....which can kill you.

I know, you're correct Cyndi.
I know I'm in need of detachment. I felt it for the first time this weekend during my workshop.
I taught my 2 hour vinyasa class on sunday morning, then went straight to my workshop (2nd day)
I was so physically and emotionally spent that it was manifesting in my lower back. For about two hours of the workshop, I was either in Savasana or balasana supported by a bolster.
During the break, all the TT students left the studio. It was only me laying in supported savasana and my mentor. Our studio is very quiet. I didn't open my eyes. I was just laying there breathing and trying to release the tension through my whole being.
We were there for about 20 minutes before the break ended. The whole time he was chanting......a soft whisper, a circular mantra. At the completion of each chant, I would hear the sliding and click of his beads.
I don't know how to describe the sensations that invaded. I can say it felt so comforting down to my core. I feel so priviledged to have shared that space with him.
Something did open up in me in this weekend's workshop. We actually sang the "Ong Namo Guru Dev Namo, Sat Kartar" mantra while practicing kundalini movements. I have never felt so much love. My heart just opened completely. I want to be in that space, feeling overwhleming joy! I can't place any words on the way I felt.
Incredible, magnificent, trance-like, calm, tranquil, absorbed, loved, secure, serene, stable, grounded, etc...................HOME!

Edited by mishoga 2007-06-12 11:23 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2007-06-12 7:17 PM (#89307 - in reply to #89279)

Expert Yogi

Yeah, ok. And what have you done for yourself TODAY, hmmmm? I am not letting you off the hook, my dear
bipinjoshi
Posted 2007-06-13 2:20 AM (#89322 - in reply to #89267)

mishoga - 2007-06-12 7:21 AM

Do you suggest meditation as means for exploration in the ways to destroy the root cause?

I would suggest three way approach:

1. Find out where friction exists

In my opinion stress is caused by friction within and between human personalities. All of us are made up of five personalities - physical, pranic, emotional, intellectual and bliss. They correspond to five koshas explained in various Yogic texts. Whenever there is any friction within or between these personalities stress is born. So, one needs to find out where exactly the friction exists. You can use tools such as introspection, mauna, maintaining a diary to get idea about it.

2. Correct the living style to avoid/reduce friction

Once you realize the cause of friction you need to take corrective steps to avoid or reduce this friction. These steps may include setting your expectations, setting your priorities and goals, slowing down to avoid burnouts and things like that.

3. Apply Yoga

Along the side you can apply Yogic techniques such as meditations, pranayama, visualizations and affirmations and Yoga Nidra. Which techniques to use is not a set rule (as it depends on individual under consideration) and one may go to some teacher/mentor/guru for those recommendations.

mishoga
Posted 2007-06-13 6:10 AM (#89325 - in reply to #89307)

Expert Yogi

tourist - 2007-06-12 7:17 PM

Yeah, ok. And what have you done for yourself TODAY, hmmmm? I am not letting you off the hook, my dear

Actually, I forced myself to turn off the phone, walk away from the computer, and lay down.
I played the Chakra Healing Zone CD (because landscapers were polluting with their volume of noise), placed two bolsters under my knees, grabbed my eye bag and just breathed. I was so uncomfortable and had to keep refocusing on my breath.
After awhile I said to myself "OK, this is enough!" I felt like I was only in that position for 20 minutes (and struggling the whole time) but when I finally came out, I realized I was in savasana for 1 hour and 15 minutes. My heart rate had slowed tremendously and I felt so much more balanced and calm. It was just what I needed. Even my husband noticed the change in my voice.
I have to bring my youngest son in for a consult with a doctor today so I am going to do the same this morning. I need to be the rock for my son since he is very nervous.

It's funny how we (meaning all) resist what is so necessary.

Edited by mishoga 2007-06-13 6:11 AM
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-06-13 6:33 AM (#89327 - in reply to #89325)

mishoga - 2007-06-13 6:10 AM It's funny how we (meaning all) resist what is so necessary.

In the restorative training I took, Judith Lasater pointed out how when we're thirsty, we never deny ourselves water, like it's a show of moral weakness to take that drink. If we're thirsty, we drink, no questions asked. So why do we do that to ourselves when we need rest?

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-13 7:06 AM (#89329 - in reply to #89327)

OrangeMat - 2007-06-13 6:33 AM

mishoga - 2007-06-13 6:10 AM It's funny how we (meaning all) resist what is so necessary.

In the restorative training I took, Judith Lasater pointed out how when we're thirsty, we never deny ourselves water, like it's a show of moral weakness to take that drink. If we're thirsty, we drink, no questions asked. So why do we do that to ourselves when we need rest?

===> That is because: Taking Rest is more difficult than Doing Something. The analogy of drinking water is ok, but actually not applicable. In drinking water, we are Doing more than Not Doing. In taking Rest, we have to Not Do more than Do.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-06-13 7:12 AM (#89330 - in reply to #89329)

kulkarnn - 2007-06-13 7:06 AM  ===> That is because: Taking Rest is more difficult than Doing Something.

So very true. But still a valuable "something" that needs to be "done".

Actually, the analogy with water, as much as it isn't quite exact, is something I go back to often now, when I find myself resisting the urge to rest when I need it. For me, it reminds me that not doing is something of value, as opposed to slacking off.

Another thing I took with me from that training was the practice of taking one thing a day off my to-do list on a regular basis when I find I'm starting to judge my self-worth based on how many chores and tasks I accomplished that day. Things that I used to consider "essential" (like feeling obligated to wear makeup just to go to the grocery store) that really would interfere with my sense of peace during my day. Small things, really, that in the end really are huge.

Knowing what the things are that disturb your sense of peace is the first step, I believe. Finding things that restore that sense of peace for you is next. Third would be to actually put all that into practice on a daily basis (the hardest one, imo). But I believe that is exactly what BipinJoshi already said.

Edited by OrangeMat 2007-06-13 7:23 AM
mishoga
Posted 2007-06-13 10:33 AM (#89339 - in reply to #79505)

Expert Yogi

I'm going to pick up my son.
Please ...............everyone stop for one moment, a full minute and send healing energy to my son Maverick.
I will be forever grateful.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-06-13 12:36 PM (#89348 - in reply to #89339)

mishoga - 2007-06-13 10:33 AM I'm going to pick up my son. Please ...............everyone stop for one moment, a full minute and send healing energy to my son Maverick. I will be forever grateful.

"Ra Ma Da Sa, Sa Say So Hung"

It's a healing mantra.

I just went running to it, playing on my iPod, over 30 minutes long. It's still playing now, in fact. Mish, know that it's out there, for you, your son, and everyone else who needs healing (all of us).

Kaos
Posted 2007-06-13 5:55 PM (#89370 - in reply to #89348)

GURU RINPOCHE (Vajra Guru) Mantra

Om Ah Hung Vajra Guru Pema Siddhi Hung

(pronounced) Om Ah Hung Benza Guru Pema Siddi Hung

The Vajra guru mantra is Padmasambhava (Guru Rinpoche) in the form of sound.
To recite the Vajra guru mantra once is the equivalent to the blessing of reciting.....or practicing the whole teaching of the Buddha.

Guru Rinpoche is considered by Tibetan Buddhists to be the second Buddha.

My best wishes to you mish and your family.

OM Shanti Shanti OM

tourist
Posted 2007-06-13 6:37 PM (#89373 - in reply to #89339)

Expert Yogi

Sending you both some vibes, mish
mishoga
Posted 2007-06-14 8:00 AM (#89408 - in reply to #79505)

Expert Yogi

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Metta to all

(Kaos, I am very familiar with Rinpoche since Tibetan Buddhism greatly influences Rahini Yoga. He might very well be the second Buddha )

Edited by mishoga 2007-06-14 8:02 AM
Cyndi
Posted 2007-06-14 10:35 AM (#89426 - in reply to #89370)

Expert Yogi

Kaos - 2007-06-13 5:55 PM GURU RINPOCHE (Vajra Guru) Mantra Om Ah Hung Vajra Guru Pema Siddhi Hung (pronounced) Om Ah Hung Benza Guru Pema Siddi Hung The Vajra guru mantra is Padmasambhava (Guru Rinpoche) in the form of sound. To recite the Vajra guru mantra once is the equivalent to the blessing of reciting.....or practicing the whole teaching of the Buddha. Guru Rinpoche is considered by Tibetan Buddhists to be the second Buddha. My best wishes to you mish and your family. OM Shanti Shanti OM

I just want to say that, Traditionally, these mantras are given by way of oral transmission, by way of initiation and/or the guru whispers in the student's ear.  This is a real important aspect regarding the recitation of mantras.  In Tibetan Buddhism, in order to recite and pratice the Heruka Vajrasattva purifying meditation, you need teachings and a clear understanding about this powerful practice.  There are many vows associated with it.  Without purifying your mind to prepare it for spiritual realizations, you will make little progress towards enlightenment.  Actions of the body, speech, and mind leaves imprints upon the consciousness, like seeds planted in a field.  When the conditions are right, these imprints ripen into experiences.  Positive imprints, or good karma, bring the result of happiness.  Negative imprints, or bad karma, bring suffering. 

jonnie
Posted 2007-06-14 10:56 AM (#89431 - in reply to #79505)

Cyndi, you beat me to it.

Jonathon
Kaos
Posted 2007-06-14 1:57 PM (#89459 - in reply to #89426)

Cyndi - 2007-06-14 10:35 AM

Positive imprints, or good karma, bring the result of happiness.  Negative imprints, or bad karma, bring suffering. 

Yes, but what if there are no imprints.

Ideally, chanting of mantras is taught and guided by a teacher, however,
people who wish to develop compassion can chant "Om mani padme hum" or the Tara mantra Om Tare Tuttare Ture Svaha (pronounced sometimes as "Om Tare Tu Tare Ture Soha") without
the intervention of lamas.

Cyndi
Posted 2007-06-14 2:35 PM (#89461 - in reply to #89459)

Expert Yogi

Kaos - 2007-06-14 1:57 PM Yes, but what if there are no imprints.

There are imprints...there is no doubt about that.  Everything thing you do has an imprint.  To say that you don't have an imprint, then perhaps you are already enlightened, hmm?

Ideally, chanting of mantras is taught and guided by a teacher, however, people who wish to develop compassion can chant "Om mani padme hum" or the Tara mantra Om Tare Tuttare Ture Svaha (pronounced sometimes as "Om Tare Tu Tare Ture Soha") without the intervention of lamas.

This is true....it is also why there is such a thing called "American Yoga".  We've had real long debated discussions about this here on the forum.

The Tara mantra you referenced is actually the Mantra of the Green Tara.  She is the Diety of protection and wealth and is the main diety that the Tibetans in present day Tibet worship.  In Nepal and Hindu culture, she is Durga.

Again, please see my statements above regarding mantras.  It's not about lama's intervening...in Hindu culture, mantras are given to children by their parents and the family guru and/or priest.  It's the tradition that has to be given to you and passed on in the way of oral transmission.

mishoga
Posted 2007-06-14 2:45 PM (#89463 - in reply to #79505)

Expert Yogi

Hmmmmmmmm, this is interesting. This is a lesson for me.
Thanks guys
Either way, send some loving for my little boy Maverick
Cyndi
Posted 2007-06-14 3:19 PM (#89466 - in reply to #89463)

Expert Yogi

Mishoga,What is wrong with Maverick?? I think I missed something here.
mishoga
Posted 2007-06-14 5:27 PM (#89482 - in reply to #79505)

Expert Yogi

He's having some digestive problems. Was at the hospital doing some testing yesterday. He was very upset. They had to perform an invasive procedure. It's hard watching your child cry from fear, discomfort, and feelings of being violated.
I'll get the results on Monday. I'm crossing my fingers, and praying to my divine spirit for strength

Any prayers would be much appreciated
Kaos
Posted 2007-06-15 1:51 PM (#89518 - in reply to #89461)

Cyndi - 2007-06-14 2:35 PM

..To say that you don't have an imprint, then perhaps you are already enlightened, hmm?

Please enlighten us on how one gets to be "un-enlightened".

Edited by Kaos 2007-06-15 1:54 PM
Kaos
Posted 2007-06-16 3:43 PM (#89564 - in reply to #79505)

"Enlightenment" is a Western term.

"Enlightenment" and "un-enlightnement", two sides of the same coin.

As Lama Anagarika Govinda explained:

Thus, the good and bad, the sacred and the profane, the sensual and the spiritual, the worldly and the transcendental, ignorance and Enlightenment, samsara and nirvana, etc., are not absolute opposites, or concepts of entirely different categories, but two sides of the same reality.

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-16 7:24 PM (#89576 - in reply to #89564)

And, out of these two sides, one is desirable and the other undesirable, in a life of a particular person.

Kaos - 2007-06-16 3:43 PM

"Enlightenment" is a Western term.

"Enlightenment" and "un-enlightnement", two sides of the same coin.

As Lama Anagarika Govinda explained:

Thus, the good and bad, the sacred and the profane, the sensual and the spiritual, the worldly and the transcendental, ignorance and Enlightenment, samsara and nirvana, etc., are not absolute opposites, or concepts of entirely different categories, but two sides of the same reality.

Kaos
Posted 2007-06-17 1:07 PM (#89621 - in reply to #89576)

kulkarnn - 2007-06-16 7:24 PM

And, out of these two sides, one is desirable and the other undesirable, in a life of a particular person.

And as long as he desires one or the other, his material consciousness will oblige him to transfer from one body to another.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-17 4:02 PM (#89631 - in reply to #89621)

That is wonderful. Only in Human Body, can the liberation takes place. When the material consciousness is purified to the most desirable level, the grace of Lord will automatically yield liberation to such a person. And, then he will go out of body and come into body at will. For those who have no material consciousness, there is nothing to talk, discuss, or state. It is all immaterial!!!

Kaos - 2007-06-17 1:07 PM

kulkarnn - 2007-06-16 7:24 PM

And as long as he desires one or the other, his material consciousness will oblige him to transfer from one body to another.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-06-19 8:31 AM (#89719 - in reply to #89631)

Expert Yogi

Thanks NB for that clarification. I didn't have time or the patience to try and expain all this.  Besides, you do such a better job than I, always,  

Kaos, there is no such thing as un-enlightenment...either you are or you are not.  I'm not sure how that relates to anything I've posted regarding this thread.  

Take care,

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)