YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need to get rid of Stress...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Stress ReliefMessage format

damienholly
Posted 2007-03-08 7:22 AM (#79558)
Subject: Need to get rid of Stress...

I really believe that weight, stress, anxiety and sleep are interconnected, and, personally, I have trouble keeping them in balance. For the last forty five days I am having the problem of Stress and Anxiety. First I thought it is something usual when I could not sleep properly. But now it is the stress and anxiety that I can’t sleep properly I want help desperately. I can’t figure out what is wrong. I need mental relaxation. I even tried to do meditation but couldn’t concentrate. What can I do?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-08 8:21 AM (#79559 - in reply to #79558)
Subject: RE: Need to get rid of Stress.

damienholly - 2007-03-08 7:22 AM

I really believe that weight, stress, anxiety and sleep are interconnected, and, personally, I have trouble keeping them in balance. For the last forty five days I am having the problem of Stress and Anxiety. First I thought it is something usual when I could not sleep properly. But now it is the stress and anxiety that I can’t sleep properly I want help desperately. I can’t figure out what is wrong. I need mental relaxation. I even tried to do meditation but couldn’t concentrate. What can I do?

1. If possible, go on holidays for 3 weeks or more to an unusual place.

2. Mix with people and enjoy talking other things than your problems. Laugh and gossip with free mind.

3. Read a biographical book of another person and forget your own biography.

4. And, do NOT take any medication unless you have disability or disorder which is coming from long time.
osutuffy
Posted 2007-03-08 11:33 PM (#79644 - in reply to #79558)
Subject: RE: Need to get rid of Stress...

As kulkarnn suggested to me, meditation takes time, he told me to practice every day for 3 months. It won't happen overnight. I learned to meditate at a young age and was really good at it once. Then I let life distract me and having a hard time getting the fog out of my head. I am having to re-learn how to meditate and I am starting with 10 minutes a day.
What are your meditation practices? What is your focal point, environment like, noise?
I mentioned on another thread that I have a hard time waking up and then when I do wake up, several hours after I am out of bed, I still feel groggy. Then at bed time I am wide awake. Do you get up at the same time every morning? Sleeping in on your days off work keep you off kilter all week. I was trying to catch up on sleep on weekends and that just made it that much harder to wake up through the week. This weekend I got up early (well earlier than 1pm ) and actually went to bed earlier. By setting a schedule and forcing myself to stick to it, sleeping is getting easier. today I actually made myself shower at 830 am (gasp) and woke up, I am sleepy now and ready for bed at 1130. For weeks I was lucky if I was tired at 6am. This week I went to bed at 1am, which I am happy about. When you have problems sleeping, setting a schedule is best. Set aside time well before bedtime to make a to do list for next day so you aren't concentrating at bedtime on it. If you still keep thinking of things to do, have paper and pen so you can write it down and then forget about it. But that's only if it is a must. No tv before bedtime..too much stimulation. This was hard I am a tv watcher and used to fall asleep to tv. Now if something is on even if it is recorded I feel like I have to watch it, now I make myself wait til tomorrow. Gradually weening out most of my shows.
Make a list of your daily activities for the week. Make sure that anything stimulating are earlier in the day and do relaxing ones at night.
andy_duke23
Posted 2007-03-09 2:18 AM (#79657 - in reply to #79558)

Balance is very important. It takes a lot of discipline to keep things balanced. Try setting out schedules with a couple of hours a day devoted to family or yourself. I was having the same problem. I was into a job in which I had to work more than 12 hrs. The Bible suggests taking an entire day off from work every week. I think its pretty good advice. You need to take care of your self caz it will affect you biologically. Try using the Theramood product. I tried it and believe me it gave me relaxation. I think they have a site by same name theramood. We people usually think of taking drug during stress and anxiety. May be we get some relaxation for few moments (initially few hours) but what after that. You won’t be able to continue with those things. Soon you will need a high dose and you will be addicted to those things. Try using Theramood you don’t even need the doctor’s subscription but consult your physician if you have been or are currently being treated for any condition
ginkgo
Posted 2007-03-11 3:15 AM (#79848 - in reply to #79558)

Those things are interconnected. You do not try to balance them. Get all the sleep you can since you cannot sleep too much since your body will not let you. Be your ideal weight and get rid of all stress and anxiety. There is no need for them. The site below has info on getting rid of stress. It also explains how a Harvard Medical School professor said that the purpose of technology is to make your life easier so you feel less stress. But it has not worked since people feel more stress than ever.

Hatha yoga (the postures) reduces stress and helps you to have more concentration so you can meditate. The book, Flow, tells how yoga and martial arts are great for relaxing you. I started doing yoga, martial arts and tai chi at age 12. See the page about anxiety by going to the page on Natural Healing first. What is Enlightenment

Edited by ginkgo 2007-03-11 3:22 AM
tourist
Posted 2007-03-11 12:49 PM (#79866 - in reply to #79848)

Expert Yogi

I have to jump in here and say that you cannot get rid of stress. Even if you sell off everything and move to an ashram, you will experience stress. Stress is what makes us tick - hunger is stress, tiredness is stress. We stress our bodies and minds in order to grow. What we are really talking about here is relieving the effects that excess stress has upon our bodies and minds.

We also like to imagine that we have more problems with stress in our "modern age." Every age has felt itself to be the most "modern"! They only seem old fashioned and quieter in retrospect. 100 years ago our life expectancy was much shorter, many of our children would have died before the age of 2 and a simple cold could kill you. Compare that to the stress of a bit of traffic and too many emails!

Stress is not new, it is not our exclusive domain and it is with us wherever we are - even on that lovely vacation.
bvs yoga
Posted 2007-03-24 2:18 AM (#81044 - in reply to #79558)

i agree with you that these things are interconnected. but at the same time i think you need to take it slowly and build up a solid practice with solid foundaions.

If I were you, I'd spend a day or two, just thinking about my feelings and what's in my mind. id suggest you write down a list of things youre not overly impressed with and just go through the list and think about all of it - think from any angle you can - the mind has a habit of finding solutions to problems - but most of the times it doesnt understand that it's the cause of its own problems.

youll be right - be optimistic, patient and studious.

All the best

Bharat - Yoga Brisbane
http://www.bvsyoga.com.au
patricia07
Posted 2007-04-16 2:58 AM (#83475 - in reply to #79558)

Thanks for this thread. I am gaining much info from here and I think I am gonna them with a friend.

Posted 2007-04-16 11:33 PM (#83554 - in reply to #79558)

Damien,

Asana- Uttanasana (knees bent if needed), Adho Muklha Svanasana (head on bolster or block), Balasana (straddling bolster), Sarvangasana, Supta Baddha Konasana, Viparita Karani, Savasana (with eye pilow, ten minutes only).

Pranayama - in the supine position; breath awareness for two weeks, then viloma I.

Nutrition - leafy greens, apples, almonds, lima beans, tofu, carrots, beets, melons. Avoid meats, sugar, and caffeine. If you currently drink coffee please do not consume it after 10am.

Other - Epsom salt baths. Massage oil into the skin. Bedtime by 10m. If you are having issues sleeping make sure your bedroom is exclusively a sleep chamber. Do not work in there nor watch television. Sleep only please. You may also consider a brief respite from media; newspapers and tv news. Also a break from movies would not be a bad idea.

Spend time in nature.

If you have further questions please ask.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-04-16 11:34 PM
bredmond812
Posted 2007-04-28 5:48 PM (#84508 - in reply to #79848)

ginkgo - 2007-03-10 12:15 AM
Get all the sleep you can since you cannot sleep too much since your body will not let you.

Based on my experience, that is not true. I oversleep in the morning. used to get 12 hours, now it is only 9. i could just keep falling asleep forever. Past a certain point, the more i sleep the more tired i am.

also, if i get really hungry to the point of headache one day, then i will definately be exhausted the next day, even if i take an asprin. However, two days ago, this happened, and i followed a mild version of remedial asanas for headache in Light on Yoga, took an asprin, and suffered no ill effects the next day. I didnt do the pranayama because i have never had a teacher for pranayama, but the asanas seemed to work. (sirsasana, sarvangasana, uttanasana, paschimotasana, halasana, but not in that order)

Posted 2007-05-10 12:17 AM (#85775 - in reply to #79558)

Agreed 812.

When the person is depressed sleep becomes more than just a rejuvenation function. It becomes a hiding place from the world and many can stay in bed for incredibly long periods of time.

Oddly it seems the OP has had her/his needs met or not returned. Go figure.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-05-10 9:57 PM (#85914 - in reply to #84508)

Expert Yogi

Stress....good stress and bad stress.

Yesterday I split one of my bee hives and was having a hell of a time finding the queens.  Well, luckily I found one of them in the hive I was going to split.  Everything was going fine until I realized how "un-prepared" I was...all my stuff was unorganized, scattered about the bee yard and oops, I forgot a couple of tools.  Talk about stressful and this is the fun kind.  Today I started my menstrual cycle and my head slightly hurts....all because of stress....and it was the good kind,

OptiMystic
Posted 2007-05-11 11:12 AM (#85980 - in reply to #79558)

Something to keep in mind regarding the items you mentioned (weight, stress, anxiety and sleep)...

Weight is a measurement that is a pretty good indicator of overall condition; you generally know what you should weigh and where you are relative to that.

Sleep is an activity (though you may argue it's inactivity ) - it is something you do.

Stress and anxiety are often discussed as stimuli, when in fact they are usually a reaction to stimuli. And what is a reaction? It is something you do.

I do have a point. I get the impression that you feel like you aren't in cotrol. I believe you are. You are the "doer" of the 3 activities and the 4th item is ameasurement that is impacted by what you are doing. If you can also realize that you are in control, these problems will be much easier to resolve.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)