YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Setu Bandhasana
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

slowpie6
Posted 2007-03-08 11:28 AM (#79576)
Subject: Setu Bandhasana

Having now officially reached the end of the primary series (hip hip hurray!), I am starting to work more diligently on my setu bandhasana. That is quite a tough one! Last week, I had one of my teachers instruct me on how to do the pose, and did it a few times with his assistance (and while using my hands for support). After that, when I attempted it again without the teacher's guidance, I was feeling like my neck was being compressed, so I stopped. I was tending to other concerns for a few days, so didn't make it to the end of the series because I was taking more time in other poses, until today. I asked my other (main) teacher for assistance in setu bandhasana again. I thought his pointers were very helpful and so I thought I'd share with you.

First off, he pointed out that this is one of the only postures were there is an outer rotation of the legs, which certainly cleared up a question that has been on my mind with regards to the direction of rotation in other poses... I was always thinking that inner rotation was the way to go, but had begun to wonder if perhaps I was missing something and was suppose to do an outer rotation at some point. So outer rotation has the effect of really pulling the sacroilliac region of the spine into the body, so he said it is important to hold mula bandha strongly to create the proper support and alignment for the spine. As for the compression of the neck, it appears that the way to prevent it is to make sure to hold the drishti firmly on the tip of the nose, this somehow maintains the length of the cervical spine and as soon as one looks back instead of at the nose, there is a chance of compression. Doing that really made a difference for me. Once I did the pose properly, I must say that it felt great, but it was very difficult to sustain... Kind of like navasana seemed nearly impossible to do 5 times in a row before, or utpluthi for more than 3-4 breaths. So I have faith that in the same way as navasana is now feeling almost effortless for me, and I can hold utpluthi for 10 breaths without undue suffering, I'll eventually be strong enough to hold setu bandhasana as well.

I was leafing through Light on Yoga and found that there is a pose called setu bandha sarvangasana, which is essentially the same only the bridge is between the feet and the shoulders. I was wondering if it might be a good idea to practice this pose on my own time as well. Is it somewhat easier to hold the pose and build strength since the body is lifted from the shoulders? Or is it just about the same as resting the hands on the ground in setu bandhasana? Is there anything else that differs? I imagine that the shoulder version doesn't strengthen the neck as much as the crown version, right?

I really liked what my teacher had to say about this pose too. He said that it was a brilliant way to end the series, because all this energy has been generated through the practice, and in setu bandhasana, since it involves the entire spinal musculature and the legs, you essentially pull all that energy inwards and draw it into the spine. He says it is strengthening and invigorating. I really liked that idea.

sp
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-03-08 12:20 PM (#79590 - in reply to #79576)
Subject: RE: Setu Bandhasana

beryl bender birch uses setu bandha sarvinghasana as the alternative to setu bandhasana when teaching primary series. so, i think it is an excellent option.

for some people, setu bandha sarvinghasana and setu bandhasana are 'interchangeable' words for the sarvinghasana version of the pose. that is, i use setu bandhasana to describe setu bandha sarvinghasana--as my call that is.

i do teach setu bandhasana, but call it poorva (full) setu bandhasana, and i do inform my students that the version of 'bridge' that they do is setu bandha sarvinghasana.

how wonderfully lengthy to simply answer "yes."
TampaEric
Posted 2007-03-08 1:47 PM (#79596 - in reply to #79576)

Hey Slowpie,

Congratulations!

Sometimes I do the shoulder one as my first backbend in finishing.

Another neat thing about ending the series is that you do a forward bend, (Urdhva Paschimottanasana) and then a backbend, (setu bandhasana)

I like your tip about dristhi...

Eric
jonnie
Posted 2007-03-08 2:03 PM (#79599 - in reply to #79576)

slowpie6 - 2007-03-09 7:28 PM

As for the compression of the neck, it appears that the way to prevent it is to make sure to hold the drishti firmly on the tip of the nose, this somehow maintains the length of the cervical spine and as soon as one looks back instead of at the nose, there is a chance of compression. Doing that really made a difference for me.
sp

Very interesting!!!
slowpie6
Posted 2007-03-08 5:51 PM (#79624 - in reply to #79576)

Well, I'm looking forward to trying the shoulder version, will do when the chance arises... Maybe tomorrow.

I'm intrigued that the drishti thing is a novelty to you folks, try it out and let me know how you feel it affects your setu bandhasana. As I said, it really helped me keep my neck long. I wonder if the same thing could have positive effects on purvatanasana... where's the drishti supposed to go in that pose anyways? I guess I just stare at where ever my eyes are aimed at as I drop my head back, which isn't really back (since my darn shoulders get in the way and I'm having difficulty spreading them in that pose) but more sort of up at the ceiling slightly behind me...

sp
jonnie
Posted 2007-03-09 12:09 AM (#79647 - in reply to #79624)

slowpie6 - 2007-03-09 1:51 AM

I wonder if the same thing could have positive effects on purvatanasana... where's the drishti supposed to go in that pose anyways?
sp

It's the nose.

Jonathon
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-03-09 5:46 AM (#79670 - in reply to #79576)

slowpie6 - 2007-03-08 11:28 AM First off, he pointed out that this is one of the only postures were there is an outer rotation of the legs, which certainly cleared up a question that has been on my mind with regards to the direction of rotation in other poses... I was always thinking that inner rotation was the way to go, but had begun to wonder if perhaps I was missing something and was suppose to do an outer rotation at some point. So outer rotation has the effect of really pulling the sacroilliac region of the spine into the body, so he said it is important to hold mula bandha strongly to create the proper support and alignment for the spine.

Outward rotation, really? Wow. I'm not familiar with this pose, having only practiced setu bandha sarvangasana, as Zoebird has pointed out, the names tend to be interchangeable. In the shoulder version, as you call it, it's definitely an inward rotation of the legs, with the intent of keeping the thighs parallel to each other, lengthening the lumber spine. I haven't come across any instructions as to how to enter the version you're talking about (legs straight and you're on your head, yes? wow, again). Maybe in my free time when my neck needs a bit of beating up...

Edited by OrangeMat 2007-03-09 5:47 AM
slowpie6
Posted 2007-03-09 11:47 AM (#79694 - in reply to #79576)

Hi OM, the general gist of the preparation for the pose is to lie supine and bring the heels in closer to the buttocks slightly, so that your knees spread out to the sides as they would in Bandha konasana. But the distance between the heels and buttocks is much greater. I was told by my instructor to spread the feet outwards as much as possible, with the goal of resting the entire outer edge of the feet on the ground while keeping the heels together. After consulting Light on Yoga (it's asana number 111, plate numbe 293 and 294 show the feet position I'm referring to), it seems to also be the way it is taught form the Iyengar perspective. Once you have lifted into the pose, Iyengar's instructions are to "...stretch the legs until they are straight. Join the feet and press them firmly to the ground." I don't know if this implies reducing the outward rotation of the legs, or even changing it completely to an inward rotation... The picture of the final pose (plate 296) does not make it obvious and clear either, although it seems to me that the heels are joined but the toes are still apart...

sp
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)