YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mari D and Adjustment
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

slowpie6
Posted 2007-03-09 10:54 AM (#79689)
Subject: Mari D and Adjustment

A sort of miracle happened to me today. I was doing Marichyasana D, as I usually do which wasn't spectacular. In order to bring my binding arm around behind me, I would start by leaning back and support myself on my other arm, then to complete the bind, I would have to push my weight onto my knee that was in lotus, bringing my opposite side sitting bone off the ground. I knew I had to work to get that hip down, but I could never get anywhere.

So my teacher came by today and insisted that I could do it properly. I had a reflexive "but I can't" response, to which he said that with that attitude, there was no doubt that I couldn't do it. He kept insisting that I had the requisite flexibility, so there was no reason that I would not be able to do it properly. Following his guidance, I firmly rooted both my sitting bones and proceeded to twist. I was reassured by my teacher than my lotus knee could stay off the ground for the time being. It took some intense concentration in order to find my balance, but I actually succeeded on first try to bind around while keeping both hips completely grounded. I then worked on getting my padmasana knee down to the ground. It made it's way quite far but didn't reach yet. I'll have to be patient with it.

I thought I would share this with you because it made me realize how powerful mental barriers can be in interfering with the achievement of our goals. And how even more powerful our will, determination, and belief in ourselves can be. I thankfully have the joy and priviledge to study with teachers that are capable of encouraging me, and help me develop the self-confidence required to start believing in myself and break through my mental barriers. But in the end, I think we all have to find that within ourselves, and no amount of encouragement or others believing in you will make you overcome something if you don't have faith that you can...

I could not, however, muster up enough self belief to successfully roll around in garba pindasana, despite having a tag team of teachers rallying around me to cheer me on. The mysore session was only being supervised by one of my teachers (the son), but my main teacher (the father) had been practicing near me and was roused from savasana to come try to help me. And eventually, another teacher (the mother) arose from her savasana to join in the fun. I was sorry to disappoint them, but today was not the day for a miraculous revelation in garba pindasana ... Maybe next time.

sp
Top of the page Bottom of the page
slowpie6
Posted 2007-03-09 12:04 PM (#79695 - in reply to #79689)
Subject: RE: Mari D and Adjustment

Hm... I just consulted Light on Yoga about Marichyasana IV (or D in Ashtanga), and was surprised to see that in Iyengar's pictures (plate 305, 306), he does not have both sitting bones down on the ground. The folded leg (around which he binds his arms) has a lifted sitting bone. The padmasana knee hovers just slightly above the ground. Perhaps another interesting variation on how this pose is performed in Iyengar versus Ashtanga?

sp
jonnie
Posted 2007-03-09 1:58 PM (#79702 - in reply to #79695)

slowpie6 - 2007-03-10 8:04 PM

Hm... I just consulted Light on Yoga about Marichyasana IV (or D in Ashtanga), and was surprised to see that in Iyengar's pictures (plate 305, 306), he does not have both sitting bones down on the ground. The folded leg (around which he binds his arms) has a lifted sitting bone. The padmasana knee hovers just slightly above the ground. Perhaps another interesting variation on how this pose is performed in Iyengar versus Ashtanga?

sp

Good observation!

The alignment in Marichyasana D/4 is the same in the Ashtanga and Iyengar approaches to Yoga.

An interesting fact (and one often overlooked) is that Mr. Iyengar's alignment in a few of the asanas in LOY is slightly off. As a practitioner he has definately become stronger and more precise with age. LOY is still my favouite and most read Yoga book though.

Jonathon
tourist
Posted 2007-03-09 7:06 PM (#79741 - in reply to #79702)

Expert Yogi

Yep - apparently he makes jokes about the old photos regularly and says he was a young man showing off
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)