YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sudarshan Kriya
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Stress ReliefMessage format

hari_om
Posted 2007-03-09 8:11 PM (#79752)
Subject: Sudarshan Kriya

Hi,

I understand that this is not Art of Living related web site and that is exactly why I am posting my question here. Art of Living web sites can be very biased because it is their technique.

Sri Sri Ravishankar claims that this technique releases stress. But one web site (didn't refer to Sudarshan Kriya directly though) says that too much Oxygen or rapid and intense breathing can actually damage brain.

I do not find any independent, unbiased opinions about this kriya.

How does a person know that he or she is not actually doing harm to the self by doing this breathing technique? Even if the effects are not immediately known (Sudarshan Kriya is relatively very young technique), what about down the road, like after 5, 10 years?

Any opinions?

OM SHANTHI
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-09 11:03 PM (#79758 - in reply to #79752)
Subject: RE: Sudarshan Kriya

The problem you are going to face is: The one who answers your question directly has to be the one who has done that 'THING' for a while regularly. Such a person must exist and answer the question.

But, I can tell you something: Too much of any thing including oxygen is BAD. In fact, anything too much has to be thrown by the human body. And, that takes human energy. For example, if you drink 2 liters of milk when you actually need only a quarter, the body has to do hard work to throw that extra milk.

How do I know this? As a matter of pure fact, 99.99 percent of the people in the world today eat more than what they need, and they are actually spending some of their vital energy to throw the extra.
jonnie
Posted 2007-03-09 11:39 PM (#79764 - in reply to #79752)

Hi hari om

I am a Yoga teacher in Dubai and attended the Art of Living program a few years ago and have practised the Sudarshan kriya since.

Personally I found Sri Sri Ravishankar to be a wondeful person and the Art of Living organisation really walk their talk.

Yes, Sudarshan Kriya is a relatively young technique though it's components are all classic pranayamas. It consists of rounds of ujjayi, kapalabhati and bastrika (all sequenced correctly) and takes about twenty minutes to complete.

If you already have a pranayama practise then honestly, you will probally already be experiencing the benefits. If you don't, them I recommend the AOL.

Personally, I believe the technique is aimed at busy, stressed people who have no time for long practises and like the TM meditation technqiue, it's designed to help them.

Jonathon
hari_om
Posted 2007-03-10 1:29 PM (#79805 - in reply to #79752)

Hi kulkarnn and jonnie,

Thank you for your responses.

jonnie, ujjayi and bhastrika are classic pranayama techniques. But what about the Kriya itself (3 rounds of 20, 40, 40)? Is it also based on standard pranayama techniques?

OM SHANTHI
jonnie
Posted 2007-03-10 1:34 PM (#79806 - in reply to #79752)

ujjayi, kapalabhati and bastrika (plus three oms) is the kriya.
jerez
Posted 2008-05-16 3:14 AM (#107399 - in reply to #79752)

Hi, I don't know the answer tho this, however I have some news.

I took the Art of Living Course, and at home doing the sudarshan Kriya, with my personal bio feed back machine..the process registered, not a relaxed state of mind, because sudarshan is to energize, but immediately after doing the sudarshan, my bio feed back machine revealed perfect breathe effortlessly!

It has been anything but effortless to achieve that breathe doing the style of breathe they recommend with the bio feed back machine (designed to reduce stress).., what they recommend is about the same as Pranayama, but it requires careful counting and observation of the screen to pile up points that indicates no stress..
brthres
Posted 2009-08-04 8:07 PM (#117451 - in reply to #79806)

Just to clarify, the Art of Living practices include *Sudarshan* Kriya (SK) which follows the 3 oms. In the Art of Living course, participants experience the "long" version of SK and are taught a shorter, home practice.

Edited by brthres 2009-08-04 8:10 PM
brthres
Posted 2009-08-04 8:23 PM (#117452 - in reply to #79752)

This is actually a very good empirical (testable) question which breath researchers are currently investigating. One study at UCLA proposes to examine brains of long-term kriya practitioners with age-matched controls using neuroimaging techniques (MRI). Here is a published study that has shown increases in brain volume with meditation practice: http://www.loni.ucla.edu/media/TV_Detail.jsp?media_id=478
Similar results may come through for kriya, but the experiments have not been done yet.

As far as I know, most of the research on meditation and kriya has shown positive long-term psychological and physiological outcomes. This is a fairly new field of research that is growing exponentially.

Stay tuned for some potentially very exciting results to emerge in the next few years!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)