YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Meditation and chanting Om
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga as Self-RealizationMessage format

tubeseeker
Posted 2007-12-08 12:11 PM (#100540 - in reply to #79881)
Subject: RE: Meditation and chanting Om

my thoughts
when you chant you are focused on the chant and all other thoughts would hopefully vanish away. when a thought comes up you go back to the focus of the chant

meditation is when there is not focus, when a thought comes up it passes because you do not become fixated to it, you may start the meditation by being focused on the breath but ideally that focus will vanish

imagine you are a tubleweed blowing in the wind. if you are doing a mantra you would focus on holding onto a tree so you dont get blown all over the place, if your aim is meditation you would let yourself get blown about by this wind, not worried about what direction it blows you and hopefully you would get blown into a hole. In this hole the wind/mind would no longer affect you

mantra = focus
mditation = absence of focus
jsut my thoughts
seeker

PS
I just realized looking at the word wind, turn the W upside down and it is M, maybe we should allow our minds to become as the wind
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-12-08 12:48 PM (#100545 - in reply to #79881)

Interesting post from dear Tubeseeker. Thanks.
Steve Hydonus
Posted 2008-04-16 2:54 PM (#106334 - in reply to #100432)

Sramani - 2007-12-06 2:12 AM
April 15 308 Dwapara

I've heard that hearing sounds is common when you have a regular mantra practice and it deepens.  I sometimes hear the mantra that I'm working with looping in the background of my mind, just like when you hear background music while doing other stuff.

Yes it would be like practicing the presence all the time which is our goal till we are one with that presence.

Jitendra (Steve Hydonus)
Steve Hydonus
Posted 2008-05-01 9:33 PM (#106887 - in reply to #79881)
Subject: Meditation and Chanting

Someone asked the question: How can i stay interested in meditation. i would ask this. What is the altenative? We are surrounded by darkness. Meditation is the way out. It is our freedom. Medtation is listening to God. Chanting like praying is talking to God. We must learn to listen or we will never hear what that stillness has to say. We have been involved in life times of reatless activity hunting and pscking for a little short lived happiness. To turn our steps back to the source and away from matter does not happen over nite. First we must become patient with ourselves and the endless chatter that goes on in our heads. It is important to find techniques that interiorize our consciousness and that help still our thoughts so that we can experience what lies behind these thoughts. For this it it is very helpful to find a Master who can help us with the proper techniques and ways of living that our conducive to supporting our meditation efforts. i have been in this for decades and i can tell you that all the dry spells i have had in meditation have been compensated by those experiences that prove to us who and what we really are. These will come in time. Choose your friends appropriately to support your effrots. You may first start to see your life change because of your efforts. Never think that the outcome of meditation is what you think it will be. You will find support in your spiritual efforts if you are sincere. Give and it shall be given. Knock and the doors shall be opened. Steve Hydonus

Edited by Steve Hydonus 2008-05-01 9:42 PM
prascina
Posted 2008-06-26 7:21 AM (#108700 - in reply to #79881)

Who is that who is meditating on whom
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)