YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Meditation and chanting Om
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga as Self-RealizationMessage format

yogagal1232
Posted 2007-03-11 9:42 PM (#79881)
Subject: Meditation and chanting Om

I have been meditating and Chanting for about a year. When things are quiet I hear this strange tingling/buzzing around my head. It seems to be louder after I meditate for a long time or chant the Gayatri mantra.
Does anyone know what this means, my yoga teacher had no answer.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-11 10:04 PM (#79882 - in reply to #79881)
Subject: RE: Meditation and chanting Om

yogagal1232 - 2007-03-11 9:42 PM

I have been meditating and Chanting for about a year. When things are quiet I hear this strange tingling/buzzing around my head. It seems to be louder after I meditate for a long time or chant the Gayatri mantra.
Does anyone know what this means, my yoga teacher had no answer.

I need to know how you are chanting.
yogagal1232
Posted 2007-03-11 10:17 PM (#79885 - in reply to #79882)

With my eyes closed, I try to sit upright, but sometimes I slump. Usually I try to chant 108 times in the morning and 108 times in the night like I was told. The mantra is a short 4-5 line invocation to a Goddess, I was asked not to repeat share the mantra with other people, so I can't tell you what it is. Sometimes I chant the Gayatri mantra three times, but not with a lot of discipline.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-11 10:50 PM (#79886 - in reply to #79881)

Sorry, I have to ask one more thing. I do not need to know your mantraM. When you say your Yoga Teacher can not answer your question, my question is:

Is that the Yoga Teacher who taught you the Meditation and/or MantraM.

And, one more question: Did you notice this sound recently or it has been there from the beginning of the year?

yogagal1232
Posted 2007-03-12 8:31 AM (#79898 - in reply to #79886)

No, the Mantra was given to me by a Guru who was visiting from India. I do not know how to get in touch with that Guru for questions. When that guru was visiting , I went with my Yoga teacher for the talk. She also encouraged me to ask for a mantra which would help with meditation since at that time I was having difficulty concentrating during meditation. This has been more recent.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-12 12:27 PM (#79912 - in reply to #79898)

yogagal1232 - 2007-03-12 8:31 AM

No, the Mantra was given to me by a Guru who was visiting from India. I do not know how to get in touch with that Guru for questions. When that guru was visiting , I went with my Yoga teacher for the talk. She also encouraged me to ask for a mantra which would help with meditation since at that time I was having difficulty concentrating during meditation. This has been more recent.

Thanks for your answers. Now, comes my suggestion:

a) Option1: Try to get in touch with that GURU or whatever you call. It can NOT be guru. Because, if he was GURU, you would not loose him. Anyway, try to get to him and ask this question.

b) Option2: Get out of that mantra and learn from a person who can guide you properly. Properly means, give mantra, give some explanation of what happens, what is going to happen, and be available later.

c) And, learn from a person what they are expert in. For example, your YOGA teacher is expert in thing X. Do not take his/her suggestion about thing Y.

d) If you are in Northern Virginia, see me.
ecochuck
Posted 2007-03-17 8:39 PM (#80303 - in reply to #79881)

THAT IS GREAT NEWS! Does it sound like the sound of a waterfall or bees buzzing? I forget all the other things that they compare it to. It is the soundless sound. I began to hear it at age 17 after doing a hatha yoga routine. I would spend 20 minutes at the end in the corpse pose where you are super-relaxed and would hear this inner sound. Then a couple of years later I learned about surab or surat shabd yoga or yoga of the inner sound. It does not matter what you are practicing, this soundless sound is in everyone. It is similar to people doing a practice and all of a sudden seeing inner light.

The ten Sikh satgurus taught a meditation on it and inner light. As far as current teachers, there is a female from Viet Nam called Suma Ching Hai. Then there is the Science of Spirituality which is the group from St Kirpal Singh. He is dead but I forget the name of the present guy. The English term for what you are hearing is THE INNER SOUND. It is the same energy as the inner light. You have to do a search for surat shabd yoga which is the generic term for it. The above teach 2 techniques called inner light and inner light. The Sihk literature mentions them many times.

Now at 20, over 30 years ago I recieved the TECHNIQUES OF KNOWLEDGE. See Wikipedia for that. First one is inner light. In Autobiography of a Yogi, he mentions seeing it many times but does not know the technique to focus on it. 2nd is inner sound. 3rd is primordial vibration and 4th is inner taste and smell. They cover all 4 senses. Each of the 4 arms of Vishnu represent this. One is a circle of light. Can you guess which represents the inner sound? It is the conch shell. The sound is like the sound of the ocean in the shell. The flower is inner taste and smell. If you strike a metal club it vibrates representing the inner vibration.

In India Prem Rawat was called Balyogeshar which means born lord of the yogis. When he does a program in India, over 200,000 people attend. The Sihks call these techniques Word or Name as in Name of God or Word of God. The beginning of the Ramayama tells how the Name of Rama is greater than Rama. The Name of Rama is not Rama. See Pram Rawat in Wikipedia. For a new webpage about psychology and enlightenment with a link to the Rawat site see What is Enlightenment..

Edited by ecochuck 2007-03-17 8:58 PM
ecochuck
Posted 2007-03-17 9:53 PM (#80306 - in reply to #79881)

Here is the Wikipedia link to Techniques of Knowledge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prem_Rawat_-_Techniques_of_Knowledge

Here is the Wikipedia link to surat shabd yoga

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surat_Shabd_Yoga

Wikipedia is a great encyclopedia. It has a link to the other masters that I mentioned. But I did not know that Master Ching Hai learned it from Thakar Singh. He came after Kirpal Singh. Now that group has R. Singh. Singh is a popular name among Sikhs. It means "lion." The above on Ching Hai does not mention that she teachs inner light also.

Edited by ecochuck 2007-03-17 10:10 PM
ecochuck
Posted 2007-03-17 10:37 PM (#80309 - in reply to #79881)

I was reading some of the Wikipedia stuff. Sikhism is now a religion like any religion. You have ceremonies etc. but the Sikhs do not know about mediatating on inner light and music. But if you read their scriptures, like the Adi Granth (I have read a lot of this stuff), it is always mentioning the inner light and the inner sound and the word and the name. But the Sikhs know nothing about this spiritual practice. They are more into worshiping the book.

It is like the Christians. The bible says to love thy neighbor. But they treat their neighbors as "Godless heathens" and they instead worship the bible. The bible does not say to worship the bible. The Sikh scriptures do not say to worship it, but that is what the Sikhs do. Yoga is doing something while religions are a worship of people that did something.
ecochuck
Posted 2007-03-18 12:22 AM (#80313 - in reply to #79881)

Many people with decades of experience in yoga may not have heard of surat shabd yoga. A google search showed there are 24,000 sites on it. Here is something on it from the 4th site. Remember that no person is giving you this experience. You did not even knew that it exists. It comes directly from the almighty. I put in the bold highlighting.

The Sound Current (from the site)

It is in the context of this problem that Surat Shabd Yoga, or the yoga of the celestial Sound Current, assumes its unique importance. Those who have mastered this yoga teach that the Absolute, though free of attributes in Its primal state, projects itself into form and assumes two primary attributes: Light and Sound. It is no mere accident, they point out, that in the revelatory literature of all major religions there are frequent references to the "Word" which occupies a central position in their pattern. In the Gospels we have:

In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God
  and the Word was God. - ST. JOHN
    In ancient Indian scriptures we read repeatedly of Aum, the sacred Word pervading the three realms of bhur, bhuva and swah (i.e., the physical, astral and causal).
    Again, Nanak says:

The earth and sky are of naught but Shabd (Word).
From Shabd alone the light was born,
From Shabd alone creation came,
Shabd is the essential core in all.
Shabd is the directive agent of God,
  the cause of all creation.
                        PRABHATI
    The Muslim Sufis declare:

Creation came into being from Saut (Sound or Word)
  and from Saut spread all light.
                     SHAMAS TABREZ

The Great Name is the very essence and life of all names and forms.
Its manifest form sustains creation;
It is the great ocean of which we are merely the waves,
He alone can comprehend this who has mastered our discipline.
                                                                 ABDUL RAZAQ KASHI

Thus, in the Revelation of St. John we have:

His eyes were as a flame of fire . . . His voice as the sound of many waters . . .
His countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength . . .
And I heard a Voice from heaven, as the voice of many waters, and as the voice
of a great thunder: and I heard the voice of harpers, harping with their harps.

While in the Upanishads we are told:

First the murmuring sounds resembling those of the waves of the ocean, the fall of rain and then running rivulets, after which the bhervi will be heard, intermingled with the sounds of bell and conch.
                NAD BIND UPANISHAD
    The Prophet Mohammad heard celestial music which gradually assumed the shape of Gabriel and formed itself into words; while Baha U'llah relates:

Myriads of mystic tongues find utterance in one speech, and myriads
  of His hidden mysteries are revealed in a single melody;
  yet alas, there is no ear to hear nor heart to understand!
Blind thine eyes, that thou mayest behold My Beauty, and stop thine ears
  that thou mayest hearken unto the sweet melody of My Voice.

These references to Light and Sound, say the Masters of the Surat Shabd Yoga, are not figurative but literal, referring not to the outer illuminations or sounds of this world, but to inner transcendent ones. They teach that the transcendent Sound and Light are the primal manifestations of God when He projects Himself into creation. In His Nameless state He is neither light nor darkness, neither sound nor silence, but when He assumes shape and form, Light and Sound emerge as His primary attributes.

Do any of the above descriptions sound like what you are hearing? People who are blind can see inner light. People who are death can the inner sound. You cannot see the light in a bright room. You can not hear the celestial divine music of the soundless sound in a noisy room.

Edited by ecochuck 2007-03-18 12:33 AM
ecochuck
Posted 2007-03-18 4:38 AM (#80322 - in reply to #79881)

It is also refered to as the unstruck music or unstruck sound. That is why you think it sounds "strange." The first Sikh satguru (Nanak) says " The unstruck music is heard through the grace of a Godman, but few there are who commune with it."

Also Ching Hai needs people to make commitments like becoming a vegetarian to learn inner light and music meditation. But anyone can learn her convenient method of meditation to purify the soul. Maybe the guru taught you that.

Here is something from the sikh scripture online. Wikipedia says that shabd means word and word means sound current or audible (means you can hear it) life stream. I guess they are spelling shabd as shabad just like Aum is also Om.

True is the speech of that humble being; through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, it is spread throughout the world. Throughout the four ages, his fame and glory spread. Imbued with the Naam, the Name of the Lord, the Lord's humble servant is recognized and renowned. || 2 || Some remain lovingly attuned to the True Word of the Shabad. True are those humble beings who love the True Lord. They meditate on the True Lord, and behold Him near at hand, ever-present. They are the dust of the lotus feet of the humble Saints. || 3 || There is only One Creator Lord; there is no other at all. Through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, comes Union with the Lord.
ecochuck
Posted 2007-03-18 12:43 PM (#80344 - in reply to #79881)

I rememberd it is also called anahat nadam. A search showed 77 sites. It means unstruck sound. Some sites I had problems with so I just copied what google said about it. The last one is a forum where someone asks the same question and the unsuccesful attempts to answer it.

Keep in mind that when people talk about soul travel or leaving the body, they are mixed up and confused. The science of cosmology teaches that time and space are only attributes of the physical world, not the non-physical world. The soul exists in a place where there is no time and place or space. So heaven is not above you, below you or anywhere so they say it is inside you but an autopsy shows that is incorrect. HEAVEN EXISTS OUTSIDE OF TIME AND SPACE. They say God is inside you so that would mean that God is not in front of you. God is everywhere but nowhere in the physical universe. Below is from the google search.

It is manifested in you in the form of different divine sounds - anahat nadam - a subtle and constant inexpressible musical vibration in your head, ...

The sound OM is called anAhata nAdaM because, according to yOgis, the OM sound is inherent in the cosmos. kabIr sings ‘anahat ki zabd bhajE nirantar’ ...
thyagaraja.sulekha.com/blog/post/ 2006/01/thyagaraja-vaibhavam-13/comments.htm

In Nada Yoga, we learn that the source of the sound may be external or internal. The sound may be "gross" or "subtle." That is, it may be "struck" out loud (Sanskrit: "ahat"), as from a voice or musical instrument; or "unstruck" and outwardly silent (Sanskrit: "anahat"), arising inwardly as from the subtle currents of energy or prana moving throughout the body.

To the yogi, the world is a quivering, vibrating ball of energy. This energy or vibration is sound. The very first sound is the sound of OM, known as “anahata nadam” or the unstruck sound--it occurred without two things striking together.

Here is a forum where someone asked the same question you did and the attempts to answer it. They describe it as a high pitched hum.
http://www.astralsociety.com/as/Forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=c67dfa779aec3443c46cda4e20a93d66&topic=18633.msg204116

Edited by ecochuck 2007-03-18 1:06 PM
yogagal1232
Posted 2007-03-23 8:53 PM (#81015 - in reply to #80313)

Thanks a lot, that is all great information, the sound I hear is somewhat like falling rain or a high pitched hum, definitely better heard when things are quiet and were very, very loud in a temple and a meditation center. Sometimes it is associated with a lot of peace and listening to it makes me smile. But I strongly doubt that it is something super spectacular.
littlerainboots
Posted 2007-09-14 1:18 AM (#96215 - in reply to #79881)

YES!!!! The same thing happens to me. BUT now, the buzzing has turned into a kind of melody or beautiful music without words. It's an extremely enveloping sound. VERY peaceful!
littlerainboots
Posted 2007-09-14 1:28 AM (#96216 - in reply to #80306)

Hello,
I hear this inner sound all of the time. Now when I meditate I hear a type of music or melody. VERY PEACEFUL, all around and through me. Do you know anything about this melody or music I am hearing? Thanks!!!!
littlerainboots
Posted 2007-09-14 1:35 AM (#96217 - in reply to #81015)

I am so glad I found this site. I have been asking so many if they hear the same sound you are discribing! I haven't met one person until now.
littlerainboots
Posted 2007-09-14 1:57 AM (#96218 - in reply to #80344)

I see edges of white light around object. Any objects really. Do you know what this is? thanks for your help!
yogagal1232
Posted 2007-09-30 10:50 AM (#97211 - in reply to #96215)

Littlerainboots,
I am not sure about the significance of what I am hearing, but Ecochuck has left some good answers above.
Andre
Posted 2007-10-04 12:32 PM (#97424 - in reply to #79881)
Subject: RE: Meditation and Chanting

Extreme Veteran

Could someone explain the difference between chanting and meditation?

I've done little of both, and am still grasping (not in a desperate way) at understanding the roll either might play for me. In my Yoga Sutras study class, we've chanted the Sutras, and I'm drawn to that. I got a CD, and am planning on trying that.

But, does chanting lead into meditation?
What if I just chant?

I mean, I'm fairly disciplined about some things, but finding the time to sit for this on my own, is indeed challenging. I'm finding some resistance to doing it, yet it seems to be calling to me to do it as well.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.
Ram
Posted 2007-12-01 5:28 PM (#100188 - in reply to #79881)

Congratulations on meditating and chanting.

Its great a guru gave you a mantra to chant with. The mantra is live and contains in it everything you need. It will awaken you kundalini spiritual energy.

As far as noise and sounds I love the answer the great being Baba Mutkananda gave. He said if you want to be interested in the sounds and noises in meditation that come up you should just go to the circus, where you will find more interesting sounds and noises. His point was that those are irrelevant to what is really happening in meditation and your ultimate goal of being one with consciousness.

I dont in any way mean to demean your experiences. I too have witnessed many things in mediation. My mind also becomes fasinated with what happens. But remember your accessing the universe when you meditate. All kinds of things can come up. Until you become one with that consciousness it becomes a guessing game to the mind as to what these strange occurances are.

Ram
Posted 2007-12-01 5:32 PM (#100189 - in reply to #97424)
Subject: RE: Meditation and Chanting

DJ Dre - 2007-10-04 12:32 PM

Could someone explain the difference between chanting and meditation?

I've done little of both, and am still grasping (not in a desperate way) at understanding the roll either might play for me. In my Yoga Sutras study class, we've chanted the Sutras, and I'm drawn to that. I got a CD, and am planning on trying that.

But, does chanting lead into meditation?
What if I just chant?

I mean, I'm fairly disciplined about some things, but finding the time to sit for this on my own, is indeed challenging. I'm finding some resistance to doing it, yet it seems to be calling to me to do it as well.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Chanting is a great practise and stills the mind. Chanting before you meditate leads into a great meditation. Both practises take you to your greater awareness (consciousness). Its merely a matter of personal prefrence. I personally find if I have had a real hard day and my mind is agitated chanting helps still it a bit easier.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-12-02 12:27 AM (#100195 - in reply to #79881)

Chanting and Meditation are not terms with a fixed definition. What I mean is many people use these terms with different meanings. Therefore, before answering the question, it is necessary to know what she means by these terms. This topic can take a long time to discuss and may become exhaustive. Last year, I gave two workshops of 3 to 4 hours each. One called 'Chanting for Yoga Students' and another, 'Yoga Meditation, Concepts and Practice'. The live video footage of this is available. Also, the Yoga Sutras book which I made last year has complete Trasliteration, Translation, Chaning Instruction and Chanting result after practicing that instruction. Please see my website.
rae rae
Posted 2007-12-05 10:06 AM (#100393 - in reply to #79881)

along the lines of chanting and meditation. I recently began meditating and am using a mantra that was given to me by a meditation teacher but I am still having a really hard time concentrating and not getting bored or annoyed because I'm not feeling any effects. I usually do my 108 reps of the mantra but then give up... how can I keep myself interested and focused???
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-12-05 11:14 AM (#100397 - in reply to #100393)

Fantastic. PM me or see me in VA.

rae rae - 2007-12-05 10:06 AM

along the lines of chanting and meditation. I recently began meditating and am using a mantra that was given to me by a meditation teacher but I am still having a really hard time concentrating and not getting bored or annoyed because I'm not feeling any effects. I usually do my 108 reps of the mantra but then give up... how can I keep myself interested and focused???
Sramani
Posted 2007-12-06 2:12 AM (#100432 - in reply to #79881)

I've heard that hearing sounds is common when you have a regular mantra practice and it deepens.  I sometimes hear the mantra that I'm working with looping in the background of my mind, just like when you hear background music while doing other stuff.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)