YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Headstand to Crow/Kapotasana
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Hehet
Posted 2007-03-11 11:57 PM (#79891)
Subject: Headstand to Crow/Kapotasana

I'm seeking tips on how to get the Sirsasana-to-Bakasana vinyasa.  once i bring my knees down (i tend to hook mine in just below the armpits, i can kinda raise my head but I have no idea how to raise up on my arms?

Also, i just managed to do Kapotasana with the aid of my teacher.  But how do i literally "find my feet" for the clasp in this pose?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-03-12 7:16 AM (#79895 - in reply to #79891)
Subject: RE: Headstand to Crow/Kapotasana

Expert Yogi

Hmmm... Do you mean Handstand to Bakasana?  It's possible to go from Headstand to Pincha Mayurasana, but Headstand to a hand balance is not something I've ever seen done.

For "finding your feet", it helps if you can look back enough to see them as you reach for them.  If you can't see them, then you may need to work on your flexibility a bit, e.g., with some other backbends as warmups. 

.. bg

Bay Guy
Posted 2007-03-12 7:51 AM (#79896 - in reply to #79895)

Expert Yogi

Oh, wait, you mean Tripod Headstand --- Sirsasana II.  The first thing to work on is getting your shins firmly onto the backs of you upper arms, at the triceps. Much of your weight is then transmitted to the arms at the shins rather than the shoulders.  With good balance, not so much arm will be required.

Also, on Kapotasana, you could make a loop in one end of a strap which you'd place around your ankles. Stretch the long end of the strap back straight behind you.  When you come down for Kapotasana, your hands can find the strap, and you can work on walking them up the strap to your feet.

.. bg

Hehet
Posted 2007-03-12 3:10 PM (#79922 - in reply to #79891)
Subject: RE: Headstand to Crow/Kapotasa

wonderful, bay guy, the idea for the strap is a brilliant one.  also i'll warm with some good heat-building Sun Salutation, then i figure i'd do Salabhasana, then Dhanurasana, then Urdhva Dhanurasana and then Eka and Dwi Pada Viparita Dandasana to warm up?  depending on what my body tells me, i'll see how to proceed

Yes, I meant Sirsasana II, i should've been more precise

Thank you, bay guy
TampaEric
Posted 2007-03-13 10:08 AM (#79966 - in reply to #79891)

Pull your feet into the body and raise the chin at the same time.

For Kapotasana, interlace your fingers behind the back of your head and pull the hands closer to your feet. Also, lift at the heart center and engage your legs as you back bend. It's a tough one.

Good Luck,

Eric

Hehet
Posted 2007-03-13 1:52 PM (#79981 - in reply to #79891)

thanks Eric

Kapotasana is tough, i only managed it with assistance once, so i'll be mindful in practicing on my own.

when you say hook the feet into the body, where do the knees go? i try to get mine just under the armpits.
TampaEric
Posted 2007-03-14 8:47 AM (#80030 - in reply to #79891)

knees..

you might try a little closer to the elbows. Basically look at where they are in your usual Bakasana. And then try to use the same placement.
Hehet
Posted 2007-03-14 12:27 PM (#80036 - in reply to #80030)

in my regular Bakasana, my knees are just under my armpits

Does that mean that my placement is incorrect?

TampaEric - 2007-03-14 8:47 AMknees..you might try a little closer to the elbows. Basically look at where they are in your usual Bakasana. And then try to use the same placement.
TampaEric
Posted 2007-03-14 1:12 PM (#80039 - in reply to #79891)

no, they can be anywhere from the armpits to the elbows.

But I'm wondering about the right angle of tripod headstand and if bringing the knees that far in might be too difficult to rise into bakasana. Try to place them a little farther back towards the elbows. I think that will do it.

I think it is like the Duck pose in the intermediate series when you are in forarms balance and come into lotus and then lower the lotus on to the arms and then back up again. (which I can not do correctly.)

Hehet
Posted 2007-03-14 1:54 PM (#80043 - in reply to #80039)

ok cool, because last evening in my practice, when i brought my knees down, it was hard to remain balanced with my knees up in my armpits

i'll experiment with it again tonight, thanks

TampaEric - 2007-03-14 1:12 PMno, they can be anywhere from the armpits to the elbows.But I'm wondering about the right angle of tripod headstand and if bringing the knees that far in might be too difficult to rise into bakasana. Try to place them a little farther back towards the elbows. I think that will do it. I think it is like the Duck pose in the intermediate series when you are in forarms balance and come into lotus and then lower the lotus on to the arms and then back up again. (which I can not do correctly.)
Hehet
Posted 2007-03-14 11:45 PM (#80084 - in reply to #79891)

i find that everything goes well until i have to lift up onto my arms, i read the article i found in Yoga Journal, it said to dome your spine slightly and shift a bit of the weight onto the back of your head, which makes sense cause the spine is rounded in Crane pose

Once i'm there though, i cannot figure out how to raise my head without toppling forward, i can feel myself engaging the bandhas, but no luck.  I'll keep trying, though
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)