YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Practice issues - help please
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Aotearoa
Posted 2007-03-12 9:15 PM (#79936)
Subject: Practice issues - help please

Hi all

I am new to the forum and quite glad I can ask other Yogis' opinions. I have been practising Ashtanga for a good year now and still few very "basic" asanas are coming to me extremely slowly. Yous all seem to be fairly advanced so I thought you may be able to give me a few good pointers. Here goes ~

The whole theory of physics of flight is elusive to me in practice. I just do not seem to be able to do even remotely what I am meant to do. How can I practice the physical side of jumping without the mental effect (ie the fear of falling over) taking over? I am always a bit scared I will use too much force. Does that make sense to you?

My right hip does not want to open up, regardless of what I do. I have been trying to gently open it up in class and outside of class but feel that it simply will not budge. Since I am naturally flexible and not struggling with splits at all, I am at a loss as to why I have such great problems with lotus. Any hints on what I can do without aggravating knee pain (my kneecap is out of place, my osteopath said)?

Another thing is the binding. Believe it or not, but I am actually the only woman in all classes I have been to (and I have practised in Ireland, Germany and New Zealand) who cannot bind. Have you any experience with that particular problem? It feels like my strong, big legs are to blame but that would be too easy and excuse, eh?!

Any hints / comments much appreciated.

Namaste

Aotearoa
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-03-12 9:28 PM (#79938 - in reply to #79936)
Subject: RE: Practice issues - help please

Jessica, welcome to the forum. I'm envious of your practice in, to my mind, some of the finest countries in the world. I'm glad to to find somebody who also cannot bind. When I go to ashtanga practice, I see everybody else but me binding themselves silly. Of course, I get all that special attention from the teacher "encouraging" me--yeah, right. Anywho, I'm no help to you but join you in your situation.
Cheers!
Simmi
Posted 2007-03-12 10:34 PM (#79940 - in reply to #79936)

Jessica,

I only recently got the jump through consistently with my legs straight. Previously I lift my pelvis very high when jumping, so it does feel more like going into handstand everytime, and i sometimes also fear falling. I know David Swenson seems to say that in his book, but recently I have instead worked on keeping my pelvis less high and , and instead aim to just get the legs through. Also make sure your bandhas are "on", gives much more control. Its not as pretty (ie floaty) as lifting very high, but it does get me through more consistently. I don’t know if that helps, but that is my experience. My teacher is ok with both ways, as long as I can get through with legs straight.

As for hips, I know people at my shala have been successful in opening it up hanging out in pigeon, sukhasana, siddhasana, baddha konasana etc. I can’t really say much about hips or binding myself because I am a little hypermobile, so I haven’t really worked through that. Vinyasa is usually the stumbling block for me…

Anyway good luck and do update us!;)

Simmi

Nick
Posted 2007-03-13 2:34 PM (#79984 - in reply to #79936)

Hi there,
You say your right hip is inflexible in lotus-so that means your hip is probably tight on external rotation-is that the only motion that is restricted?
Being able to bind is restricted by not being able to bring the foot close to the hip. And big muscles are therefore a hindrance, so it's a good excuse I have found that in some people, the lower leg is longer than the femur, which means that the foot cannot be brought closer-I solve this by turning the toes out, which shortens the lower leg-this is why you feet hit the ground turned out when you walk-the leg has been shortened on the swing through, by flexing the hip, flexing and externally rotating the knee, and pulling the foot to the front of the ankle.

Nick
Aotearoa
Posted 2007-03-13 8:15 PM (#80014 - in reply to #79936)
Subject: Practice issues - help please

Thanks a million for all the hints everybody! My next Mysore class will be on tomorrow and I will see with my teacher which way to do the asanas would be best for my particular needs / physical limitations. Shall keep yous all posted!

Namaste

Aotearoa
Barbara
Posted 2007-03-13 9:53 PM (#80020 - in reply to #79936)

You sound like me 2 years ago. My teachers have said to think in terms of decades when it comes to yoga. You are still new to yoga. I don't know what your body type is but body mass can be a factor in your ability to bind. Also being able to approach a binding pose with softness has been extremely helpful to me.

I asked Manju Jois the same question; "Why can't I bind?" He said simply, "In time you will." So his wisdom I pass on to you. Took me almost six years of practice, at least 4 days a week, 2 workshops a year, and loss of 30 pounds to bind in Marichyasana A. 6 years for B.

Over time, with a consistent practice you will or perhaps you won't be able to bind. As long as you breathe and keep your bandhas engaged you are benefiting. That's the wisdom David Williams imparts. So you don't bind — so what! You're still doing yoga if you are breathing with mula bandha engaged.

It will come. Floating, again, is a matter of not trying so hard. Bring your weight into your hands with a weightlessness in your legs and hips. I'm not quite there but I'm working toward it. Maybe in another year. You must feel a lightness within you. Get over the fear factor. You're not going anywhere. Maybe forward if you're off balance, but so what. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, and you've learned where you shouldn't go.

Everyone has limits. Respect yours and be happy that your body is where it is right now.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)