YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

kundalini
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Kundalini YogaMessage format

gogirl58
Posted 2007-03-18 1:02 AM (#80314)
Subject: kundalini

Extreme Veteran

Hi everyone, I am going to my first Kundalini class on Wednesday. I have mostly done Bikram, but
I am interested in trying somethings elso. What should I expect........ has anyone made this change.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-03-18 6:49 AM (#80325 - in reply to #80314)
Subject: RE: kundalini

Hi, I wouldn't call it a "change", but rather a layering-in of something new and different. No one says you have to abandon your Bikram practice to practice Kundalini. But yes, it is going to be very different, and it won't just be the lack of heat.

I consider Kundalini (as taught by Yogi Bhajan, the way my teacher teaches it) a "shortcut" method to the energetic changes and effects that happen during the course of a yoga practice. It's more breathing and mudra (hand positions) than asana, much more, and the kriyas (exercises sets) are about a specific intention or purpose. The exercises are timed specifically, such as two minutes of this, one minute of that, and there is no adjusting. Most of the class is down with eyes closed, except of course when you need to see exactly what the mudra or movement is that the teacher is explaining and you don't quite understand, you're "allowed" to peek. Sometimes the kriyas as very tough physically (such as holding plank for three or so minutes while imagining the person you're most angry at in life -- one of my favorites! ), and sometimes they're just turning the head from side to side, inhale one side, exhale left. Oh, and the movements are fast, as fast as you can perform them without losing the form. Which means the breathing gets fast, which is how the energetic and other subtle bodies become affected.

I don't know if any of this makes sense, or if other people will completely disagree with me, so I guess the best thing is to go to class with no expectations. Actually, that's the best thing to do regardless!

Hope you enjoy!

gogirl58
Posted 2007-03-18 11:56 AM (#80341 - in reply to #80325)

Extreme Veteran

Thankyou. It sounds interesting. It happens on Wednesday evening, so I will report back.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-18 10:32 PM (#80370 - in reply to #80314)

Expect? Less hot room. Less physical exercise. More breathing stuff (done correctly or wrongly depending on the instructor). Some mystical things more than Mudra. And, possibly a chanting in Punjabi style. And, may be more spiritual or kind attitude. And, less sweating people around.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)