YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Marijuana and Meditation
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-12-03 6:44 AM (#100246 - in reply to #80572)
Subject: RE: Marijuana and Meditation

C'mon man, It's fun to think about. I was sceptical of the market and then I realized all the crap people are buying now. I saw a commercial for individualy wrapped prunes. I though it was the stupidest thing I heard all day, but the people in the ad were buying it up. "It's just like candy" one woman said. Because she had to take a wrapper off to eat it? I still don't get it, but now there's a market for it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2007-12-03 8:57 AM (#100248 - in reply to #100183)

Expert Yogi

Ooh Shelly,

I love Marijuana Truffles,
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-12-04 6:32 AM (#100317 - in reply to #80572)

See! That's what I'm talking about. I was thinking of a slogan saying this kind doesn't give you the munchies, but thanks Cyndi, you solved that problem. The munchies is just another market! No one has to draw up a new cartoon character to be the spokesperson, they're already plenty to choose from. Jughead? Shaggy? Shaggy might be a better choice because the munchies can be marketed as scoobie snacks. So much better than Joe Camel.
SCThornley
Posted 2007-12-04 9:30 AM (#100327 - in reply to #80572)

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Study_Pot_slows_breast_cancer_1203.html

if only the puritans would get a life and learn to love we might actually make some head way on this issue.

Marijuana should be legal for all personal, medical and industrial uses
rae rae
Posted 2007-12-04 10:21 PM (#100363 - in reply to #80572)

you think it helps or hinders meditation though? cuz i've heard both...
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-12-05 7:14 AM (#100377 - in reply to #80572)

As a meditation tool? I think if your high, you'll think you're really making some kind of amazing breakthrough, but when you come down you'll realize you were just being high. Like an artist getting high to work, thinking they're doing amazing work. When they come down though, maybe it's not so genius as they thought. Really the people to ask about this is the Rastafarians.
rae rae
Posted 2007-12-05 7:32 AM (#100379 - in reply to #80572)

yeah you make a very good point. thanks
dodge
Posted 2007-12-07 12:07 AM (#100489 - in reply to #99902)

jimg - 2007-11-27 12:50 PM

Cyndi - 2007-09-20 3:27 PM

You guys....Shiva's favorite herb is Marijuana. I thought everybody knew that one!!

What's wrong with marijuana???

It causes lung cancer and bronchitis, memory loss and the inability to organize and integrate complex information, reduced sperm production and erectile dysfunction, increased risk of stroke or heart attack (due to increased blood pressure/heart rate and reduced oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood), impairment of the immune system, various short and long term mental illnesses and can result in arrest and possibly prison, depending where you live.

The traditional way to take marijuana for meditation is through bhang a drink. However, lung cancer? Where? Could you point out a case. Marijauna has never directly killed someone, alcohol kills hundreds of thousands. Besides eat or vape it no lung problems or bronchitis.

THC is shown to aid memory helping inhibit alzheimers. Mental illness? No evidence of it for people without a predispostion to problems and MUCH less than alcohol as a factor.

Impairment of the immune system? The study that showed that has never been able to be repeated and consequently there are no findings at present that this myth is true.

Lowers sperm production? Again nope not true in the long run. in extreme high doses it can temporarily lower the count but not permantly.

Marijuana also helps my mother in last stages of cancer go from five stone back to eight and live pain free and without nausea from her chemo.

It has aided meditation for many years when taken in moderation

I do not understand why people are so hung up on it, plenty of things harm us that are legal and these same people don't seem to waste their breath complaining as much (not pointed at the quoted postee) The fact is it can help folk who wanna be helped by it and it can harm those that self destruct, we should be able to choose to have it especially as it kills less people (no deaths) than aspirin (thousand or so a year).

Some info about drug use in the past (before the 1950's racism kicked in this silly hysteria) Course nothing is cool without moderation but hey it helps my meditation (for 20 plus years) I can meditate without it but when i visit my brother in Holland I meditate with it and found it pleasantly beneficial.

Besides Rastas have used marijuana for meditation and still do as have other religious and historical groups , to say one cannot meditate on it denies their viewpoint completely which is rather rude and frankly arrogant! lol

According to Bharat-India myth, the Gods gifted humans with Cannabis so that we may enjoy Ananda-bliss. Another myth relates that when the Devas-Gods and Asuras-Demons churned the ocean, one of the many blessings released was Cannabis; which the Devas immediately called Vijaya-victory.

According to many references in the Rig Veda, Bhang - a drink made from Cannabis - was the favorite drink of both Siva and Indra (whose names mean 'Auspiciousness' and 'Lord of Heaven', respectively). Siva advised that humans should chant the word "Bhangi" while smoking and drinking Cannabis, equally as we sow, weed and harvest the plant. Meaning, Bhangi is the mantra of Cannabis.

According to historians and archeologists, Cannabis has been used for some 10,000 years; certainly since the discovery of agriculture. In fact, Cannabis is considered one of the world's oldest cultivars; a plant with five purposes:
- hemp fiber (clothing and textiles)
- hemp oil (medicine and food)
- hemp seed (food)
- hallucinogen (spiritual awareness)
- therapy (used to treat illness)

Throughout its history, Cannabis has been considered a member of the nettle family, the fig family, and the hops family. It is said that Buddha ate six Cannabis seeds a day during his six year fast (some stories relate one seed a day). In some depictions of Buddha, his Sadhu bowl contains Cannabis leaves.

According to the Arthava Veda - from which Ayurveda derives - Cannabis is one of the Somas - divine herbs or nectars given to man for their good health and long life. The Sushruta Samhita, written in the 6th century common era, lists Cannabis as an 'essential herb' for the cure from virtually everything from acne and dandruff, to cancer and leprosy, to sexually transmitted disease to insomnia. The Bharaprakasha Samhita, 1600 ACE, lists Cannabis as the primary cure to rid the body of phlegm, to ease digestive disorders, and enhance the voice (for both speaking and mantra).

Certainly, in Bharat-India and Tibet, Cannabis has reached a state of refinement and importance in both daily use and religious observance. This fact can be seen in the many preparations of Cannabis, such as:
- Bhang = Cannabis mixed with spices and consumed as candy (maajun), or tea (bhanga);
- Ganja = flowering tops pressed to induce chemical changes; then smoked with tobacco (charas).

Finally, Tibetan Buddhism lists six steps of asceticism that all contain the use of Cannabis; primarily as a tool to faciitate deep meditation and heightened awareness.

Clearly, these examples relate that Cannabis is - first and foremost - to be used as medicine and to enchance spiritual awareness. In the West today, this is not the case. Mostly, today, Cannabis is abused, and so has become a social, moral and health hazard. Which is why the true history of Cannabis needs be researched and so understood: so that the original wisdom of this remarkable herb can be fully embraced in an intelligent and spiritual context.

The Classical Association Conference at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne was told yesterday that the Romans did it. Greeks did it. Even classically educated geeks did it. David Hillman, of the University of Wisconsin, was giving a lecture on recreational drugs in the ancient world.

His subject is the last wild frontier of classical studies. Almost nothing has been written about it. So Dr Hillman has collected thousands of references to mind-altering drugs in ancient literature. His conclusion comes close to suggesting that the Ancient Greeks and Romans, poets, philosophers, the man on the carriage to Piraeus, and the lady in the litter from Ostia were permanently stoned.

The Elder Pliny, that senior statesman, gives a recipe for the best method of obtaining opium from the darkest poppies. Virgil advises on the right time to cultivate the opium crop. Ovid, writing of his sadness beside the Black Sea, speaks of the soporific draughts that are the only things that stop his mind from brooding on his exile. The medical writers recommend opium mixed with wine or honey as the sovereign remedy for everything.

In The Odyssey, Homer describes Helen mixing narcotic cocktails for her guests to take their minds of their miseries. For an upper-class hostess to offer drugs to her honoured guests was not considered odd or inappropriate and certainly not illegal. What do you suppose that the Lotus Eaters were eating that made them forget their cares and homes? Pharmaceuticals were the regular social lubricant, drunk by party-goers listening to the bard singing his epic. Marcus Aurelius, so often cited by Jeeves for his level-headedness, took a daily dose of recreational drugs including opium.

Does this explain his laid-back view of life? Drugs motivated Pythagoras and Democritus (philosopher) to travel the world, fascinated Nicander (pharmaceutical author), were cited by Pliny as the secret of happiness and were a serious concern of Dioscorides (medical scribbler) and the healing balm of Galen (quack — sorry, physician).

The ancient social lubricant of alcohol and drugs was adopted enthusiastically by the Western world. We know about Baudelaire and Coleridge. But Dr Hillman argued that drugs were a powerful and perfectly legal recreation until the West started its “jihad” against a narcotics a century ago.

Drugs influenced ancient culture and Western intellectual development. But the ancients also recognised that drugs and madness were closely allied.

See Euripides in the Bacchae. The ivy and the vine and the poppy were closely entwined. In Greek the same word means both “witch” and “drug-dealer”. What do you imagine was in the drinks that Circe gave to turn men into swine? The Greeks and Romans may have recognised the pleasures of recreational drugs. But they were also aware of the mind-bending dangers
ilikezen
Posted 2008-01-15 1:01 AM (#101998 - in reply to #80572)

I've found that I want my experience to come directly from controlling my thoughts.

kristi
Posted 2008-01-15 3:14 PM (#102044 - in reply to #80572)

Veteran

Very interesting text Sarah (dodge), thanks for posting it !
Since the ancient Greeks were mentioned, let me add to the above one wise ancient Greek phrase : "Pan Metron Ariston" which in a free translation means, "the best of all is to do everything with a meter"
Kristi
Spirittap
Posted 2008-01-15 6:28 PM (#102050 - in reply to #80572)

Being high as a kite does not make you Spiritual. Drugs will create obscure illusions. Meditation opens you up to reality, what is true. This all stems down to being in control.
nornerator
Posted 2008-05-21 4:35 PM (#107707 - in reply to #80572)

I came to this topic from a google search after I had an amazing experience last night meditating and vaporizing marijuana and I wanted to see if others experienced the same thing.

First I would like to confront an issue I have seen here, a lot of people seem to be saying that there is documented evidence that marijuana is physically or mentally bad for you. I have read quite a lot of the medical articles on marijuana, and in fact wrote a large paper on the effects of marijuana for one of my biochemistry classes. I am a professional biochemist, I know an exquisite amount of detail of how marijuana acts in the body, and I have to say, I have never seen any evidence suggesting it is worse on the body than a cup of tea. I do have sources if anybody is interested.

I would also like to point out that it is true that marijuana alters a persons perceptions while they are under the influence, but it is impossible to tell if these perceptions are more or less accurate, in a subjective sense than a state of sobriety. Our minds process information through elaborate chemical and electrical messages and they were evolved by natural selection benefiting our survival, not provide us with objective truth about the world. For instance, matter, objectively, is mostly empty space, but our brains do not interpret matter in that way, because it is not beneficial to an organism to see this.

Perceptions of the world in a sober or drugged state are just that, perceptions, they are subjective. None is more "true" than the other.

Also, I would like to point out that someone had said that there are receptors that are only activated by THC (the main psychoactive ingredient in marijuana) this is not true. We do have receptors that are activated by THC, but also by compounds called endocannabinoids like anandamide. Stimulation of the CB1 receptor by cannabinoids has been found to stop seizure in animal models, and stimulation also leads to the production of anti-inflammatory agents, and in addition leads to the expression of genes that mediate the growth of new neural cells.

Now, to get to the real issue.

Last night I meditated while listening to a binaural beat and in-front of a screen flashing at the same frequency of the beat and I had just finished vaporizing some marijuana. I have been meditating for 2 years now for about 30mins a day.

I felt pure energy and concentration. I felt all human emotions passing through me in my lower stomach. They all left me, and I was alone in a void, devoid of desire, it was pure euphoria. This lasted for about 10 minutes.

Now I have been vaporizing marijuana for about 2 years now, I must say that this is an experience I have never had before, and I was curious if others have had this same experience?
nornerator
Posted 2008-05-21 7:01 PM (#107717 - in reply to #80572)

Here is the paper I wrote on the subject. The paper is specifically "The endocannabinoid system and implications in epilepsy." But the first few paragraphs describe in extreme accuracy the exact biochemical pathway through which marijuana affects the CB1 receptors in the brain.

For thousands of years cannabis sativa and its extracts have been used to treat a variety of illnesses ranging from epilepsy to gastrointestinal issues. Unfortunately, during the early 20th century cannabis came under the attack of yellow journalism, and was renamed marijuana by the media. Through a series of smear campaigns driven by racism, fear, and politics, slogans such as “smoke one joint and you will want to kill your brother” and movies like Reefer Madness marijuana was made illegal. Eventually it reached the status of a schedule I drug, which according to the FDA means that it has a high potential for abuse, no currently accepted medical, value and a lack of safety. This scheduling has been highly controversial, and due to its legal status research has been difficult. Little research has been done and very few clinical trials have ever been conducted on humans in the United States. The focus of this paper is to evaluate the efficacy of cannabinoid receptor agonists on their ability to prevent or treat epileptic seizures.
In order to understand how a cannabinoid receptor agonist can have an effect on epilepsy it is important to be familiar with the basics of the endocannabinoid system in the brain. The endocannabinoid system is a recently discovered signaling system. Cannabinoid receptors in the brain were discovered in 1990[1]. These are G-coupled receptors with seven transmembrane regions. There are two known cannabinoid receptors: CB1 and CB2. CB1 is heavily concentrated in the central nervous system and is coupled with ion channels[2]. It is also the most ample G-coupled protein receptor in the mammalian brain although this receptor is also found in other tissues. CB2 on the other hand is more localized, found to be associated with immune cells, the pancreas and the lymphoid system. The two endogenous ligands to which these receptors are agonized were not discovered until 1992. Anandamide was the first endocannabinoid to be classified, followed by 2-arachidonoyl glycerol. Both of these compounds are derivatives of arachidonic acid and both endocannabinoids appear to bind to CB1 and CB2.
The activation of the endocannabinoid system is similar to other G coupled protein receptors in the way it produces a cascade involving protein kinase A, and cyclic AMP[3]. During high levels of neural activity calcium ion concentrations increase in the cytoplasm which promote N-acyltransferase to produce N-arachidonoyl phosphatidyl ethanolamine from phosphatidyl ethanolamine. This intermediate is further processed by phospholipase D to form anandamide. Anandamide, which is now free in the synapse, is subject to degradation by the enzyme fatty acid amide hydrolase (FAAH). However, if it is not degraded anandamide will bind to and activate CB1 . The G-protein dissociates from the receptor and inhibits adenylyl cyclase. Because of this, cytoplasmic concentrations of cAMP decrease, which in turn decrease the levels of PKA. PKA can stimulate the ryanodine, which mediate the release of Ca2+ from the endoplasmic reticulum. Therefore reducing the amount of PKA will reduce the amount of calcium leaking from the ER into the cytoplasm, which will reduce the neurons ability to become depolarized. The bound CB1 receptor activates the extra cellular signal regulated kinase pathway (ERK) which stimulates the transcription of genes encoding transcription factors c-fos, zif268, and BDNF. These transcription factors are known to help ameliorate the effects of excitotoxic damage caused by excessive neural activity[4]. This sequence has the effect of decreasing the likelihood of further neural excitation and putting in motion the creation of gene products that can dampen the effects of excitotoxic events. Furthermore, CB1 receptor stimulation has also been shown to reduce inflammation and promote neurogenesis[5]. The overall view of the endocannabinoid system is that it mediates the effects of over stimulation, reduces inflammation, and promotes growth of new neurons in response to overstimulation.
Epilepsy is a disorder which is characterized by excessive synchronized neuronal activity particularly in the cortical, hippocampal, and thalamocortical networks. Certain pathways in a person with epilepsy are prone to becoming repeatedly activated and can cause excitotoxic damage. In total over seventy genes have been identified as epilepsy susceptibility genes. Interestingly, none of the genes coding for the CB receptors have been found to be mutated in people with epilepsy. Several genes that encode for subunits of voltage gated ion channels have been found to be correlated with epilepsy[6]. This would make sense because if the voltage gated ion channels are not working properly, the state of polarization, or depolarization, could be effected dramatically. The progression of the disease is fairly simple. Epileptic seizures can be triggered by reading, sleeping, flickering lights, or often times, without a known trigger. Once an individual has one seizure, it becomes much more likely that they will experience more within their lifetime. This has been attributed to the hotly debated kindling theory of seizure progression [7]. Additionally, excessive neural activity can trigger molecular pathways that lead to neuronal death. This is called an excitotoxic event. If a cure is to be found, research into what causes seizures and what can stop them is necessary. However, using humans as research subjects can be unethical, therefore animal models are needed.
In order to study epilepsy in greater detail, animal models have been used to simulate epileptic seizures. Three in particular provide good insight into epilepsy: the maximal electroshock model, the pilocarpine model, and the kainic acid model. The maximal electroshock model is exactly what it sounds like: an electric shock is applied so that a maximal amount of test subjects, mice in this scenario, are sent into seizure. This model is most useful in determining seizure threshold, that is, how much electric shock is needed in order to induce seizure. During this procedure, an electric shock is admistered via corneal electrodes to mice who have either received a dose of anandamide or nothing (placebo), in order to determine how anandamide affects the seizure threshold. In the pilocarpine model, a special type of seizure is emulated called “status epilepticus” which is a seizure that lasts for at least thirty minutes before the subject regains consciousness. In this model, prolonged seizing is induced by intraperitoneal injection of pilocarpine, which is a muscarinic acetylcholine receptor agonist. This causes prolonged seizure, only to be stopped after thirty minutes when the mice are injected several times with diazepam. This model is useful for seeing the effects of prolonged seizing on neural tissue. The third model of importance is the kainic acid model, which is simply an injection of kainic acid. Kainic acid induces activation of excitatory pathways which lead to seizure. This model was used in order to specifically see if the CB1 receptors were important in the neuroprotective effects of endocannabinoids. All three of these models are also used to determine the relative efficacy of currently prescribed drugs for epilepsy versus the efficacy of cannabinoids, either endogenous or exogenous.
The most commonly prescribed drugs for epilepsy are the benzodiazepines, such as diazepam and lorazepam[8]. These drugs act by binding to the calcium ion channels and block them from allowing calcium ion entry[9]. This protects the neurons from further depolarization and therefore inhibits seizures[10]. Unfortunately derivatives of benzodiazepines have little to no beneficial effect on approximately one third of the epileptic population. In addition to this, a tolerance can result and the beneficial effects are eventually overcome by the negative effects of increasing the dosage, such as extreme prolonged drowsiness, suppression of REM sleep, and depression. As a result of these shortcomings, development of better anticonvulsants are warranted.
A popular alternative medication for epilepsy is ?9- Tetrahydrocannabinol(THC).
THC acts as a cannabinoid receptor agonist binding to both CB1 and CB2. This binding produces a cascade of events leading to a decrease in cytoplasmic Ca2+ concentration which reduces a neurons ability to become excited. This could prevent or treat seizures by reducing the probability a neuron will come into over excessive stimulation leading to an excitotoxic event. In addition THC being a CB1 receptor agonist could reduce inflammation caused by over stimulation, thereby providing a neuroprotective effect[11]. However, evidence is more important than what seems to make sense.
There is a body of evidence suggesting that both endogenous and exogenous cannabinoids can regulate epilepsy. For instance, in the maximal electroshock model, a 300mg/kg dose of anandamide reduced the amount of convulsions by 12.5%. More impressive however is that a 300mg/kg dose mixed with a fatty acid amide hydrolase inhibitor, phenylmethylsulfonyl fluoride (PMSF), reduced the amount of convulsions by 100%. This would appear to indicate that much of the anandamide is broken down before it can activate the CB1 receptors. This is confirmed when using a synthetic cannabinoid dubbed O-1812. This compound, which is not hydrolyzed by FAAH, produces 100% reduction in convulsions without any PMSF. This would suggest that other exogenous compounds that activate the CB1 receptor and are not susceptible to hydrolysis by FAAH would produce similar results given that binding affinities are similar. In addition, when using a CB1 antagonist like SR141716A, the amount of electric current necessary to produce convulsions in 50% of test animals drops significantly, from 17.57mA to 14.27mA in test mice. Basically, this means that if the cannabinoid receptors are not working, or if there is an insufficient concentration of cannabinoids, the possibility of seizure increases. In the pilocarpine model it was found that treating the rats with CB1 receptor agonists strongly reduced seizure frequency, and that CB1 agonists were more efficient in their ability to reduce the seizures than phenobarbital and phenytoin, which are two prescribed anti-convulsants. The CB1 receptor agonist in this model was 10mg/kg THC. The kainic acid model confirmed that it is through the CB1 receptor mechanism that cannabinoids direct their anti-convulsant properties. To do this, the researchers engineered mice without CB1 receptors and then injected them and their wild-type litter mates with kainic acid. The results showed that the mice without CB1 receptors were much more prone to convulsions due to kainic acid injection versus the wild-type mice. In cell cultures of hippocampal neurons with low Mg2+ treatment, which induces seizure, it was found that treating the cultures with concentrations of anandamide as low as 1µM was able to completely stop seizures, whereas phenobarbital was not able to stop seizures until a concentration of 100µM was applied.
It is clear that the endocannabinoid system is involved in the regulation of neural stimulation through the CB1 receptor cascade. The evidence shows that manipulation of the endocannabinoid system can stop seizures. The evidence also seems to warrant further investigation into the ability of synthetic or natural exogenous cannabinoids to prevent or treat seizures. However as the evidence stands, it appears that there is some validity in the use of THC as an anti-convulsant but should not be recommended because of the lack of clinical trials with humans. Also it has been postulated that prolonged activation of the endocannabinoid system could actually contribute to epilepsy[12]. Further research using double blind clinical trials with humans are necessary in order to determine the efficacy of CB1 receptor agonists on reducing epileptic seizures within humans, specifically using THC as the receptor agonist.

Cited Sources

[1]Lutz, Beat. "On-Demand activation of the endocannabinoid system in the control of neuronal excitability and epileptiform seizures." Biochemical Pharmacology 68(2004): 1691-1698.

[2]Croxford, J. Ludovic. "Cannabinoids and the immune system: Potential for the treatment of inflammatory diseases?." Journal of Neuroimmunology 166(2005): 3-18.

[3]Grant, Igor. "Cannabis and endocannabinoid modulators: Therapeutic promises and challenges." Clinical Neuroscience Research 5(2005): 185-199.

[4]Mechoulam R, Spatz M Endocannabinoids and neuroprotection. Sci STKE 2002;2002(129):RE5

[5]Marchalant, Yannick. "Cannabinoid receptor stimulation is anti-inflammatory and improves memory in old rats." Neurobiology of Aging (2007):

[6]Miriam H. Meisler and Jennifer A. Kearney (2005). "Sodium channel mutations in epilepsy and other neurological disorders". Journal of Clinical Investigation 115 (: 2010–2017.

[7]Goddard, G.V. (1967). Development of epileptic seizures through brain stimulation at low intensity. Nature, 214, 1020-1021.

[8]Deshpande, Laxmikant. "Endocannabinoids block status epilepticus in cultured hippocampal neurons." European Journal of Pharmacology 558(2007): 52-59.

[9]Taft WC; DeLorenzo RJ (May 1984). "Micromolar-affinity benzodiazepine receptors regulate voltage-sensitive calcium channels in nerve terminal preparations". Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 81 (10): 3118-22.

[10]Wallace, Melisa. "Evidence for a physiological role of endocannabinoids in the modulation of seizure threshold and severity." European Journal of Pharmacology 452(2002): 295-301.

[11]Eljaschewitsch , Eva. "The Endocannabinoid anandamide protects neurons during CNS Inflammation by induction of MKP-1 in Microglial cells." Neuron 49(2006): 67-79.

[12]Bisogno, Tiziana. "Short- and long-term plasticity of the endocannabinoid system in neuropsychiatric and neurological disorders." Pharmacological Research 56(2007): 428-442.

Uncited Sources
Marchalant, Yannick. "Inflammation and aging: Can endocannabinoids help?." Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy (200: 1-6.

Optiz, Christiane. "Production of the endocannabinoids anandamide and 2-arachidonoylglycerol by endothelial progenitor cells." Federation of European Biochemical Societies 581(2007): 4927-4931.

Marchalant, Yannick. "Anti-Inflammatory property of the cannabinoid agonist win-55212-2 in a rodent model of chronic brain inflammation." Neuroscience 144(2007): 1516-1522.

Panikashvili, David. "The endocannabinoid 2-AG protects the blood-brain barrier after closed head injury and inhibits mRNA expression of proinflammatory cytokines." Neurobiology of Disease 22(2006): 257-264.
Nick
Posted 2008-05-22 2:20 AM (#107726 - in reply to #107707)

Hi there,
Welcome to the board. I suggest that more research is needed. I would like to donate my brain and organs before death and volunteer as a guinea pig-you can feed me marijuana, bright lights and a heavy bass line over a period of two years, and carry out any experiments you want. . That second post looks very interesting, will get back to you later, cheers

Nick
Cyndi
Posted 2008-05-22 9:58 AM (#107733 - in reply to #107726)

Expert Yogi

Count me in too. I would like to experiment with the pure organic no pesticides South American red-bud variety,
Nick
Posted 2008-05-22 12:28 PM (#107743 - in reply to #107733)

Hi Cyndi,
This is a private conversation between me and the poster Oh ok, I'll have what she's having

Nick
Cyndi
Posted 2008-05-22 1:18 PM (#107750 - in reply to #107743)

Expert Yogi

Should've used the PM feature if you wanted a 'private' party Nick. Of course you can have some of what I'm having...it's some good stuff,
Nick
Posted 2008-05-22 1:35 PM (#107751 - in reply to #107750)

Hi Cyndi,
Can't I have most of it, rather than some of it ? I'm bigger than you, it's only fair

Nick
Cyndi
Posted 2008-05-22 2:19 PM (#107753 - in reply to #107751)

Expert Yogi

Oki Doki, suit yourself.... but be forewarned...bigger is not always best. I wouldn't want you OD'ing or getting lost inside your mind forever. We might not be able to get you back and oh my goodness, I would never forgive myself. A little bit of this stuff sure does go a long way,

Posted 2008-05-23 5:26 PM (#107808 - in reply to #107717)

I always find it interesting that people who smoke marijuana always find proof that it is good for you and those who are against marijuana always find proof that it is bad for you. Personally, I see both sides as I see value in it's occasional or medicinal use and danger in it's chronic use. Again, I choose those facts that support my position just as people on both sides of this debate choose the facts that support their position.
nornerator
Posted 2008-05-24 6:22 PM (#107843 - in reply to #107808)

jimg - 2008-05-23 5:26 PM

I always find it interesting that people who smoke marijuana always find proof that it is good for you and those who are against marijuana always find proof that it is bad for you.

Im not arguing that it is "good" for you. Although under certain circumstances it definitely can be a wonderful medicine. What I am arguing is that it is NOT bad for you.

I have never seen any sort of medical evidence suggesting that occasional or chronic marijuana use posses any health issues more serious than a cup of tea or coffee. I am talking about real science here, published documents in peer reviewed journals, not the DEA website.

What it boils down to is that some people think politicians know more about our health than our doctors and scientists do.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-05-25 9:26 AM (#107852 - in reply to #107843)

Expert Yogi

Actually, too much marijuana will deplete the "jing" essence of the human body, starting in the kidneys. But, we all know that too much of ANYTHING is BAD for you. So there ya go. The only reason politicians are involved is because of the $$ factor. Go read the history books and see what we had to go through to get liquor and beer legal....its ridiculous!!

Posted 2008-05-25 4:13 PM (#107855 - in reply to #107843)

Here is a discussion of the pros and cons of marijuana use:

http://www.meriter.com/LIVING/LIBRARY/chemical/marijuana.htm

I do understand that alcohol is legal and if used (abused) chronically has VERY negative health and social effects. I also understand that one does not smoke a joint and then rob the local store or beat their wife as is often true with alcohol. (Smoking marijauna does have similiar problems for those who drive while stoned.) The difference between a medicine and a poison is usually the dosage and frequency.

nornerator,
I really enjoyed your point that all our perceptions (sober, stoned or whatever) are totally subjective, not "reality"! Our brains only process a very small part of what our eyes see and our eyes only see part of the light that is reflected off what we are looking at. Our conscious minds only recognize a small part of that because we filter it through our personal and cultural beliefs and our subjective memories of prior experience.
jimg

Edited by jimg 2008-05-25 4:41 PM
MeLissaJ
Posted 2008-05-27 11:05 PM (#107922 - in reply to #80572)

I"m not a user because I found it didn't do much for me other than give the giggles for 5 minutes, make me hungry, then tired and irritable. I think though that had Bayer or Roche discovered marijuana it would be hailed as the new wonder drug. Just because something is natural does not mean it is not dangerous. Senna is a powerful laxative found in nature that can kill you if you take too much. I believe that marijuana does have legit medical uses like pain relief but I think it can do a lot of damage if used incorrectly.
LuckySinclair
Posted 2008-06-06 8:00 PM (#108205 - in reply to #107707)

I came to yoga through marijuana. While high one night I felt the strong urge to stretch and the stretching turned into something resembling the yoga I'd learned in classes a few years prior. I had taken a dozen or so classes once upon a time but never connected with yoga. Coming back to yoga while high on marijuana was very odd, very beautiful and profoundly effective for reducing and eventually eliminating years of tension and stress patterns my body had stored up over a few decades. I practiced yoga on my own, generally while on marijuana, for about a year before I started attending classes again.

Meditation began for me in the same way - while stoned I began to meditate spontaneously at first and then with more focus. I have had incredible meditative experiences while stoned but had to learn to relax and trust myself and the marijuana before I was able to fully appreciate the doorways that opened for me. Overcoming worry and fear is the biggest obstacle. Marijuana helped my body and mind learn to relax and focus. It was tricky to learn because there is so much out there that tells us that pot will only cause negative effects, but the reality for me was the opposite. Completely the opposite. I have a lot of respect for marijuana and am grateful for the place it has led me to. I don't recommend it because most people have difficulty overcoming the paranoia that can first come with marijuana. It takes a strong and steady mind to sift through the noise and see for yourself what the effects are. There is such a culture of fear built up around marijuana that the spiritual benefits are generally ignored or misunderstood.

My meditation now is occasionally helped with marijuana but I have moved into a place where I am able to access different parts of my mind best while not on it. My yoga practice is the same way. The deep tension has been released and now I'm just having fun with it. I will always appreciate the helping hand that marijuana lent me.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)