YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hip Problems
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> Injuries and rehabMessage format

loumac
Posted 2007-03-23 10:01 AM (#80931)
Subject: Hip Problems

Hi All

I wonder can someone please advise me on the best way to handle this?!! I've been practising Yoga for 6 years now (and have recently become a trained teacher). However, over the last few months, I have developed a very sore/stiff hip, which is making yoga practice sore and uncomfortable. Whilst I am staying away from any 'hip openers' my question is ... should I avoid any hip exercises, or should I try to gently stretch my hip out? I'm scared of making it worse, but its getting no better by resting it?

All advise is greatfully received.

Namaste.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-23 11:13 AM (#80937 - in reply to #80931)
Subject: RE: Hip Problems

loumac - 2007-03-23 10:01 AM

Hi All

I wonder can someone please advise me on the best way to handle this?!! I've been practising Yoga for 6 years now (and have recently become a trained teacher). However, over the last few months, I have developed a very sore/stiff hip, which is making yoga practice sore and uncomfortable. Whilst I am staying away from any 'hip openers' my question is ... should I avoid any hip exercises, or should I try to gently stretch my hip out? I'm scared of making it worse, but its getting no better by resting it?

Namaste.

With no offense, I am surprised that you got this question being a Teacher yourself and possibly a trained teacher. I would be interested in knowing for sure where you got your TT.

Next, you should not give up hip exercises totally otherwise the things will be worse in that region.

And, you should seek a personal instruction to solve this problem.
loumac
Posted 2007-03-23 12:46 PM (#80949 - in reply to #80931)

No offense taken. I said I am a trained teacher - but not teaching as I agree that my training was incomplete.
This was one of the areas that I came away from my year and a half course feeling unsure about, and I am now finding my ways through the various 'black holes' in my learning by asking.
Thank you for your answer.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-23 2:11 PM (#80960 - in reply to #80949)

loumac - 2007-03-23 12:46 PM

No offense taken. I said I am a trained teacher - but not teaching as I agree that my training was incomplete.
This was one of the areas that I came away from my year and a half course feeling unsure about, and I am now finding my ways through the various 'black holes' in my learning by asking.
Thank you for your answer.

If you are close to Virginia, come to me.
dmbones
Posted 2007-03-24 11:14 AM (#81068 - in reply to #80931)

Hi Louise,

Welcome! Hip pain is a pretty common presenting complaint and can be from many sources. Are your knees healthy and strong? Are your ankles also? Did the complaint come on suddenly or more slowly noticed? What activity makes it sore? It's my clinical experience that the skeletal system will align properly if it is able. Most conditions that keep us from proper alignment can be found in muscular tightness that will not relax enough to allow for it. Where is that muscular tightness that may be responsible for this complaint? By resting in a simple restorative hip opener, you may be able to get more information about your complaint.

I'd suggest that you lie belly down, knees and toes together, with your head turned one way or the other. Lie your bottom ear as flat on the floor as comfortable with a gentle chin lock down. Bring your arms into a reverse savasana. If you are facing the right side, for example, bring your right knee up to your right wrist, then jump the crooked leg out abit to lower the groin into the floor. The wrist and knee together bring the mechanical tension in your spine to the sacroiliac (SI) joints. Don't let the knee slip below the wrist as you will be missing the alignment needed. Rest for a minute or two, letting down into the pose. If you are completely at ease with the knee and wrist together, slid the knee higher up the forearm, resting at each elevation and observing your ease. When the knee and the elbow come together, the mechanical vectors align at the base of the ribs (around T12/L1 area).

This resting posture will allow you to explore the painfully involved elements of hip opening more easily. Any comments or insights you may be able to provide from this may be helpful. Best of luck.

Michael
Isola
Posted 2007-03-24 11:43 AM (#81069 - in reply to #81068)

I found that very interesting, but I'm afraid I don't quite understand exactly how to align my body. Do you have any pictures?

/Jenny
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-24 7:24 PM (#81096 - in reply to #81069)

Isola - 2007-03-24 11:43 AM

I found that very interesting, but I'm afraid I don't quite understand exactly how to align my body. Do you have any pictures?

/Jenny

Dear Isola and dmbones:

I highly recommend you, nay even push you or pray you that you personally meet dmbones and get a private instruction.

Posted 2007-05-28 12:22 AM (#87540 - in reply to #80931)

Hello Lou,

I will try and reply to you in such a way as to not further convulute your healing.

There are several isues to cover in providing you with the advice you request.
The first is the nature of your practice in conjunction with your health and fitness background.
The development of the issue in your hip coincides with something. Perhaps that is your practice but it may be something else in your life. That work, no matter what other advice is given, is critical work to do.

Second, you refer to your "hip" as being stiff and sore. The hip is a complex not a single muscles and therefore I would need a better mapping from you. It does not have to be anatomical but it is this very reason in Purna Yoga we use a Hip Series to asses the 6 movements possible in the joint (I am speaking generally).

Without knowing what movements are painful, what the nature of the pain is, and what movements are not painful it is nearly impossible to answer your question of hip openers or hip exercises.

There is also the matter of context. If for example you have bursitis in the hip then rest is completely expected (from a yogic perspective). So the nature of this thing you are carrying is important.

Finally there's the issue of fear of making this worse.
There is almost no way the body can heal in a state of fear. So the initial work would be to calm the nervous system and mitigate this sense you are having of things getting worse. An aggravated nervous systems simply does not facilitate helaing.

Provide more and I will try to do the same.
When the stew is boiled down I too would suggest working with someone in person. But I will provide what I can over the internet and you can make of it what you will.

loumac - 2007-03-23 7:01 AM

Hi All

Namaste.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-05-28 12:23 AM
runbei
Posted 2007-07-24 3:37 PM (#92441 - in reply to #80931)

Standard advice for injury handling among runners is: if you start out and it hurts lest, continue; if it hurts worse, stop.

I'm a strong believer in active recovery - do what you can but never to the point of sharp pain. Perhaps, if you wish to follow that path, you can do some strengthening exercises while avoiding whatever brought on the injury (stuff, probably, that makes it hurt).

Anyway, just a thought - best of luck.

runbe
Johnpaul
Posted 2009-04-07 4:16 PM (#115243 - in reply to #81069)

Michael, thanks for this exercise (reverse savasana hip pose). I tried it and felt immediate relief and progressive relaxation. It complements some other exercises and techniques I am doing to heal my injured hip (IT band, sartorius muscle, and others not identified as yet) that I have been plagued with for several months with very little progress until recently. Thanks again.

Johnpaul
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)