YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Parvritta Trikonasana
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

iandicker
Posted 2007-03-26 3:20 AM (#81190 - in reply to #81189)
Subject: RE: Parvritta Trikonasana

Oh well! how about this one?

Edited by iandicker 2007-03-26 3:21 AM

(pavritta 7.gif)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments pavritta 7.gif (28KB - 54 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick
Posted 2007-03-26 3:53 AM (#81191 - in reply to #81187)

Hi Jenny,
I promise, you, it doesn't get any easier-you just read books that are harder to understand. One day it all slots into place. I remember thinking how good it would be to be able to visualize all the stretched muscles, all the active muscles in each posture. Now it's easy, plus I can determine nerve impulse origin and effect, and so on. It comes in really useful and is a very interesting way of looking at posture.
Lumbar curve? The spine has three curves. The lumbar lordosis, the thoracic kyphosis, and the cervical lordosis. You can see that the low back and the neck have the same curve. These curves are perfectly normal, but if someone has an excessive curve of the low back, it is termed lordotic. The stooping that is associated with increased thoracic curvature is called kyphotic.
If a lumbar spine is lordotic, that would mean that one or more of the spinal segments is in extension-often the vertebra at the top and bottom, L1 and L5, exhibit the most extreme reactions to the curve, and it is these two areas that probably get adjusted the most by chiros, etc.
But in pavritta trikonasana, it is loss of lordosis that is the problem. This involves the lw back flexing, which flattens the lordotic curve of the low back. This is particularly worrying in postures like pavritta trikonasana, where the spine is horizontal, so that the load on the low back is great. The spinal stabilizers such as multifidus (very important muscle!) run up the spine-these are being lengthened by flattening the lumbar curve, and are probably relatively inactive. They should be firing with some force to protect the joints of the low back. Otherwise we are learning to leave the spine unprotected during the activities with which we are faced each day.
Something else happens when multifidus contracts-the remainder of the core muscles activate in response-effectively, moola bandha, uddiyana bandha, and the diaphragm will alter the action in response to the multifidus. This is why pelvic floor patients can get improvements in pelvic floor function from rehabilitating low back pain, and why low back pain patients sometimes report that their unmentioned incontinence has improved as a result of abdominal muscle training to help improve back pain.
But you will see that often the instruction in uddiyana bandha is to hollow the abdomen-this actually flattens the lumbar spine, or tends to, and the core muscles do not react in the correct fashion. So you are faced with having to squeeze them quite hard, otherwise they turn off-or you have to devote too much attention to them, in which case, they become an interference, rather than an aid, as does breathing because of the diaphragm's role in creating intra-abdominal pressure.

"Can you explain that like you would explain to a 5 year old...? ;) "
Ha, no way My son's teacher was calling him Dr Finn by six years old. I have early drawings by him of the human skeleton and different muscle groups. I used to find them, could have practically used them in my coursework, they were so good. The diagrams of the nerve tracts of the central nervous system are a bit messy, but then again, they look messy in textbooks, so I didn't beat him too much for that

Yes, you have hit hyper-extension on the head. everyone is the potential queen of hyper-extension in the knee-most yoga postures require less effort, and less understanding, if you let your knee hang off its ligaments. So even people with very tight hamstrings fall into this trap eventually. When you think about it, by not allowing the knee to hyperextend, you are probably activating the lower muscle fibres of the hamstrings, so that the knee is basically resisiting hyper-extension-the hamstrings flex the knee. But the hams also extend the hip-in pavritta trikonasana, this means that the lumbar spine will tend to flatten. So by tilting the pelvis, you get the stretch in the hams from the opposite end of the muscle, in effect. Not sure if I'm repeating myself here, do apologize if I am.

Nick
Nick
Posted 2007-03-26 3:56 AM (#81192 - in reply to #81188)

ian****er - 2007-03-26 8:12 AM

Can't seem to attach files this morning. Will try later. Incidentally I get a strong stretch in my hamstring when I do this pose. Hoping this means I'm doing it right.

Ian

Hi Ian,
Sounds good. As long as you can feel that pelvic tilt-and it shouldn't feel like it stops when you get to the posture-keep the pelvis as an engine which is constantly pusing the lumbar spine towards a better shape. That should keep those hams yelping for mercy

Nick
Nick
Posted 2007-03-26 4:04 AM (#81193 - in reply to #81190)

Hi Ian,
Right, that does it-I'm going to call my ex and see if she can take some photos of me. If I'm half-naked and oiled up, it's all your fault-I'm sacrificing my chaste body for your blooming spinal twists, I hope you appreciate this.
This one is definitely hyper-extending the knee and the spine is flat. I also think that the hand on the floor should be turned towards us, so that when she pulls on her hand, she gets more twist-all the hand is going to do in that position is act as scaffolding, or actually draw her the wrong way when she pulls herself towards it-which I don't think she is doing.

Nick
man, I'm fussy, sorry, wil definitely get this camera going
Isola
Posted 2007-03-26 4:17 AM (#81194 - in reply to #81191)

Okey. I think I understand. A little bit anyway. ;) I have to experiment in order to fully understand, but I'll get there.

What I don't understand about hyper extention is HOW people are able to stand in for example revolved triangle with hyper extended knees. At least for me, it hurts like hell on the back side of my knees when I accidently hyper extend. It hurta alot less to engage the muscles in the legs and alow the hamstring to stretch. But maybe it the effort that people are trying to avoid? They maybe prefer "a little bit of pain" over having to engage muscles.
Nick
Posted 2007-03-26 7:46 AM (#81199 - in reply to #81194)

Hi Jenny,
Yep, there's afew different reasons people can hyper-extend. But one of the main reasons in all the photos is that they have moved the pelvis to the outside, or they arestanding more on the outside of the foot. I think both these actions helps to avoid hamstring stretch.

Nick
Isola
Posted 2007-03-26 7:53 AM (#81200 - in reply to #81199)

When you say "moved the pelvis to the outside"... Which outside do you mean? ;)
iandicker
Posted 2007-03-26 7:53 AM (#81201 - in reply to #81199)

Had a go at taking a photo. I know I'm in my jeans and socks etc, but I guess the main pose is there. I'll have a proper session tomorrow morning in my briefs (eek!). I know there's a lot wrong, but that's why I suggested this pose in the first place. At least I'm not hyperextending my knees. I did that once and I was out of action for 6 weeks. There's not a lot of yoga you can do if your knees won't bend properly.

(Pavritta trikonasana 003.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Pavritta trikonasana 003.jpg (68KB - 50 downloads)
iandicker
Posted 2007-03-26 7:58 AM (#81202 - in reply to #81201)

Can anyone tell me how I can make it smaller with photoshop?
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-03-26 8:10 AM (#81203 - in reply to #81200)

Isola - 2007-03-26 7:53 AM When you say "moved the pelvis to the outside"... Which outside do you mean? ;)

I'm either totally right or totally wrong here.... outside the front foot, yes?

So with the right foot front, the right hip crease is compressed, the left hip is slightly higher and behind the right hip, and the right hamstring isn't receiving a full belly-of-the muscle stretch. Moving the right shin toward the midline of the body and grounding the right big toe mound to help to move the right hip back into place, firmly into the hip socket, leveling the pelvis parallel to the floor. Right ribcage is encouraged to move back into the body (it tends to droop) and the left ribcage should move slightly left and away from the body, lengthening so the lumbar spine can lengthen as well. Not flatten, but lengthen. Right side abdominals lift up to allow the twist to happen from the pulling back of the left side. Pull back to revolve outward, from the thoracic area, shining the heart to the sky. Flowery terms, I know, but it helps me to understand the anchoring needed before the twisting and lengthening can occur.

OrangeMat
Posted 2007-03-26 8:12 AM (#81204 - in reply to #81201)

Ian, nice pic! No clue as to how to shrink it, though. You should've told me you'd be doing left foot forward, now I have to rewrite my entire response!
Isola
Posted 2007-03-26 8:17 AM (#81205 - in reply to #81203)

Okey. I think I understand. As usual. ;) I'm going to try and catch a spot next to the mirror on practice today, and experiment a little bit.

But when I sit here and try to do a revolved triangle in my chair without my co-workers noticing it, I get the feeling that I actually DON'T move my pelvis to the outside, that I really do keep it where it should be.

That it, if I understand what y'all talking about.
Nick
Posted 2007-03-26 8:34 AM (#81207 - in reply to #81201)

Hi Ian,
That's not a bad pose. I would have thought if you were in my class, I would take your feet a bit further apart, but the trouble is, most people hyper-extend their knee when the do that, so you have to be careful. if the feet were a bit further apart, your spine is closer to the floor-so when you twist, the scapula will have the opportunity to retract and descend-it's a bit protracted at the moment. So maybe get your pelvis to approximately the same height as your head by re-positioning your feet.
Also, don't pull your thumb back. The pelvis could do with going through a tilt, but I think this is difficult with the feet too close. Best thing to do is to put both hands on the floor, extend your spine, and tilt your pelvis a few times-does your leg position allow the brim of the pelvis to tilt equally, left and right? If not, keep searching for a good foot position and leg action.
The cervical spine is supposed to rotate so you are looking up, and your right shoulder complex is elevated. But you should have more luck with this, with the feet positioned.
Good stuff
Nick
Nick
Posted 2007-03-26 8:51 AM (#81210 - in reply to #81207)

hi all,
Another training device I use in this and other postures is to place my ankle about where the bottom hand should go, they grab it. Then I put my wrist where the top hand should be, and they grab that. I pull on the top arm by raising my wrist. They pull on me. I always win
looking at Ian's phot, you can see that the back is being stretched across his mid-thoracic region. If there was more twist in the spine, it would look like this part of his back is actually pulling the body into the posture. Instead, it actualy looks like this part of his back is pushing the rest of the body away, which kind takes apart correct alignment.
The other thing is, try to make it so that the sum of all the actions that you are doing helps to pull on the feet, so that if you were on a skidpan, your feet would slide towards each other. Helps stop knee hyper-extension too

Nick
iandicker
Posted 2007-03-27 3:17 AM (#81345 - in reply to #81210)

As promised, some pics of my real practice. Be blunt I can take it (I think). In my defence, it is really tricky to think about your alignment when you only have 12 seconds from pressing the self timer.

(Ashtanga March 29th 001.jpg)

(Ashtanga March 29th 003.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Ashtanga March 29th 001.jpg (42KB - 44 downloads)
Attachments Ashtanga March 29th 003.jpg (35KB - 43 downloads)
Nick
Posted 2007-03-27 3:42 AM (#81346 - in reply to #81345)

hi Ian,
I can now see from the shot that you have your front heel in line with the back foot-I think the line bisects the back foot at the instep. I would practice with the feet either side of a line-humans weren't designedto move with such a narrow base, and you probably won't get the hip flexion that I was trying to encourage-you are creating anenergy leak around that areathe actions of the trunk do not get transmitted in a good way to the legs, and vice versa.
That right shoulder is definitely not happy. See how the arm is vertical, so that the shoulder is internally rotated and elevated. Try externally rotating the shoulder so that the palm of the hand faces the back wall, not by pronating the forearm, but by positioning the arm from its root.
Also, I would guess that your foot action isn't good-see how the arch of the back foot is gone. The feet should be acting like you are trying to pull the mat with your toes towards your heel. Because you have toes all across the front of the foot, this will help you realize if you are collapsing the foot, and also tense the plantar muscles on the sole of the foot, which will then pull on the hamstrings, which then pulls on the sit bone, which then pulls the pelvis and hence upper body towards the wall behind your bum-more stretch everywhere, and less of a tendency to have to support yourself on your front hand, so that you can then pull yourself into the twist with greater ease. When you look at it, the spinal twist is halted, and it almost looks like you are untwisting-one of the reasons the top arm is in the position it is in.
not bad for 12 seconds though

Nick
Nick
Posted 2007-03-27 3:55 AM (#81347 - in reply to #81345)

Hi, looking at the second photo, the action of the back leg will also help to extend the front knee. now, the back leg is obviously externally rotated. You are going to have to re-position those feet to understand all these instructions or for them to prove useful. Try to internally rotate the back hip, so that the kneecap turns to the right-you will feel the insides of the thighs being drawn towards each other-try to feel like you are holding a ball between your thighs-maybe you have one to hand Sorry, couldn't resist it. Now you will be pulling on that front foot with the rest of your body, or at least with the legs and hips. Tyr and get that top arm more vertical as you come into position, so that the right shoulder is above the left, and is not elevated as a result of the arm being in the wrong position. Every time you come into the posture and you have to adjust that top arm, you have missed something important out on the entry into the pose. Come back out and do it again, don't just adjust the arm.
You were talking about problems with hyper-extension of the front leg, which I'm presuming is why you haven't extended the knee-but the back leg is hyper-extended-I think that tightened back foot will help sort this out. As the knee hyper-extends, the tibia is pulled back and the femur is pushed forwards, relatively speaking-again, this will mess up the posture-the whole back leg needs to be involved inthe action, and at the moment, the forces created are going all over the place. But you can fix all of this quite quickly I would imagine-I have a feeling, not sure if it's experience or foolishness on my part

Nick
iandicker
Posted 2007-03-27 5:39 AM (#81349 - in reply to #81347)

Thanks a million Nick,

I'll take a while to digest all this, but I hope I can act on it tomorrow in my practice. Then we can move on, how about parivritta parsvakonasana?

Ian
Nick
Posted 2007-03-27 10:00 AM (#81385 - in reply to #81349)

Hi Ian,
I'll make a deal with you-show me the new, improved, you, and we'll go onto the next pose

Nick
riftweaver
Posted 2007-03-27 10:27 AM (#81394 - in reply to #81202)

ian****er - 2007-03-26 7:58 AMCan anyone tell me how I can make it smaller with photoshop?

From the Image menu, choose Image Size.

There are text boxes to enter new width and height values. I think this defaults to Pixels; you can also choose Percent from the dropdown there.

Make sure 'constrain proportions' is checked at the bottom, this will keep the ratio constant between width and height.

Hope that helped! Now I'm going to try and digest the info, as well as the posted pics.

--Jason
iandicker
Posted 2007-03-27 10:53 AM (#81401 - in reply to #81120)

resized pics. Thanks for the advice

(Ashtanga March 29th 001.jpg)

(Ashtanga March 29th 003.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Ashtanga March 29th 001.jpg (81KB - 44 downloads)
Attachments Ashtanga March 29th 003.jpg (85KB - 51 downloads)
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)