YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Parvritta Trikonasana
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

iandicker
Posted 2007-03-25 9:32 AM (#81120)
Subject: Parvritta Trikonasana

OK here goes. Can you analyse this one please Nick?

Ian
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick
Posted 2007-03-25 10:47 AM (#81123 - in reply to #81120)
Subject: RE: Parvritta Trikonasana

Hi Ian,
It will be a pleasure-you do an image search and come up with a picture that you want me to analyze-it would be good to actually have it on the thread rather than a link. Post more than one, if you like, to show different interpretations or different bodies.

Nick
Isola
Posted 2007-03-25 11:15 AM (#81125 - in reply to #81123)

If I post a picture of me doing Revolved Triangle Pose, do you promise not to tease me? ;) If you promise, I'll do it as soon as I have someone who can take the picture in question.

I'm a beginner so I think you would have alot to analyze. ;)

/Jenny
Nick
Posted 2007-03-25 11:20 AM (#81127 - in reply to #81125)

Hi Jenny,
I promise-I suspect you would have plenty to tease me about if I sent a picture of me-might try and get a camera so I can put myself on the line. Maybe get my tutu out again, it's been a while since I've done that.

Nick
Isola
Posted 2007-03-25 11:37 AM (#81131 - in reply to #81127)

I assume that the tutu is pink? ;)
Nick
Posted 2007-03-25 12:38 PM (#81135 - in reply to #81131)

Hi Jenny,
No, that would look too girly:-)

Nick
Isola
Posted 2007-03-25 1:21 PM (#81136 - in reply to #81135)

I'm disappointed, I thought you were man enough to handle a pink tutu. ;)
Nick
Posted 2007-03-25 2:20 PM (#81139 - in reply to #81136)

Hi jenny,
No, I'm the one who wears the pants in all my relationships, and they are never pink frilly ones. That's you told. Now can we talk about revolved triangle-I don't want to get too in touch with my feminine side

Nick
Isola
Posted 2007-03-25 2:32 PM (#81140 - in reply to #81139)

Okey, revolved triangle it is.

Oh! I found a self timer function on my digital camera, so I can take a pic tonight. But should I have my back or my front body turned towards the camera? In what angle do you see the most? I can't take pictures in different angles with the self timer, not of the same revolved triangle - my "move things with the mind"-skills aren't so good yet.

Nick
Posted 2007-03-25 3:13 PM (#81142 - in reply to #81140)

Hi Jenny,
Can we have front and back, or failing that, from the front?

Nick
iandicker
Posted 2007-03-25 3:55 PM (#81143 - in reply to #81142)

I've found a selection of pics from google. It's my day off tomorrow, but I'll have a go at taking a photo myself on Tuesday morning. Can I borrow a pink tutu?

Ian

Edited by iandicker 2007-03-25 3:59 PM

(Parivritta 1.jpg)

(parvritta 3.gif)

(Parivritta 4.jpg)

(parivrtta 2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Parivritta 1.jpg (17KB - 63 downloads)
Attachments parvritta 3.gif (5KB - 60 downloads)
Attachments Parivritta 4.jpg (10KB - 65 downloads)
Attachments parivrtta 2.jpg (40KB - 61 downloads)
Isola
Posted 2007-03-25 4:36 PM (#81145 - in reply to #81142)

Picture will come tomorrow. Can't get good enought light right now, my camera needs alot of light to give good pics.
Nick
Posted 2007-03-25 4:55 PM (#81147 - in reply to #81143)

Hi Ian,
What size are you? Right, first of all, I would like to say that any comments I make do not have allegiance to any particular style of yoga, their only priority is health.

Example one: Not bad, but a few errors in good posture. The muscles that elevate the shoulder blades are short, so that the back of the skull and the shoulder blades are brought towards each other. The result is faulty neck and spine positioning as his posture attempts to compensate so that he can look up-he should be looking up by producing almost perfect rotation of the cervical spine and skull, and he is instead looking up by extending, side-bending, and rotating-in that order.

Example two: His feet are too close together so that his palm is not on the floor. His pelvis is not level, in effect, replacing the rotation that should be occurring in the thoracic and cervical spine by merely adopting an improper pelvic position-the posture is a dead end.
It might seem pedantic, but the thumb of his top hand is extended-it is only possible to isolate muscles by surgery-in reality, the contraction of the muscles that are used to extend the thumb will tense muscles further up into the shoulder and even the cervical spine-the shoulder of that arm is again positioned badly, and it would do no harm to correct his thumb position to optimize the shoulder and neck.

Example three: Probably the poorest performance of the lot-the weight is borne on the outside of the right foot, the knee is hyper-extended and she is avoiding hamstring stretch through this and also taking her pelvis out to the side-which I think the teacher is trying to correct. But she will do it again as soon as he is gone, or for ever more, unless she learns to position that foot properly and learns how to apply her weight through her feet.

Example four:
Pelvis not level, back leg badly positioned, both knees hyper-extended, weight again being borne badly on the left foot. She needs to bring her feet closer together, and internally rotate the back hip joint so that her leg turns.

These were general summaries. But therapeutically, there's one mistake they are all making-and it's a mistake that is often encouraged in yoga, so I expect I'm going to get it in the neck for this. The have all lost the lumbar lordosis, probably almost on purpose. I talked of the need for the pelvis to be level-when the pelvis is level, and the legs are in the correct position, it is possible to tilt the pelvis a lot more than any of this lot are demonstrating.
When the pelvis is tilted further, the joints of the lower back become better aligned as the lumbar spine approaches neutral-that is, with a normal lumbar curve. It's not going to get there, but it shouldn't be far off. When the lumbar spine aproaches this curve, you are basically using your core muscles-otherwise, you are tending to hang off the supraspinous and interspinous ligaments which run down the back of the spine. Because the lumbar spine is better aligned, the thoracic spine and neck should then be afforded the opportunity to explore their rotational capabilities-the result? You get better at twisting, not at cheating.
Something you really have to watch with Pavritta Trikonasana is that the abdominals tend to have the effect of flexing the spine as you use them to twist your torso around. Make sure you extend the spine against this flexion moment (turning force). How much depends, but even just a slight movement into extension is often sufficient.

Two of the neck postures are terrible, one not so bad, and one I'm not too sure of. It's a fair bet that all of these people didn't take the opportunity to rotate their cervical spines as they moved into the posture, so that the cervical spine, which should dictate the way we move and the direction that we choose to pursue, no longer has this important role. Instead, the postures suffer and so does the neck. I cannot emphasize enough the importance of this in all postures-work out where you are going to look in the posture, and then follow a trajectory with your eyes that encourages good head/neck position throughout the movement and into the posture. The same goes for exiting each pose-call it a vinyasa of the neck. It also helps to make for better balance and a better command of posture. You will often see people make their best movements blindfolded (worth trying)-keeping the eyes focussed has a similiar effect-you begin to see with your body awareness rather than visually. If you look at all the students in the third photo, a couple of them haven't turned their heads yet, and the other two in the back have got hideous neck positions.
The other thing that is really important ties in nicely with the eyes. As you turn your head to look up, your top hand will come into view-use the movement to assert briliant shoulder position and, therefore, arm position. Too many students look at the bottom hand as it presses into floor-fine when you are starting, maybe, but lose the habit as quickly as you can. All postures benefit from this-helps to position the upper torso properly.
But apart from that, they were quite good

take care
Nick

Edited by Nick 2007-03-25 4:59 PM
Isola
Posted 2007-03-25 5:11 PM (#81150 - in reply to #81147)

Very interesting!!

Can you try to find a pic that presents a good revolved triangle?
Nick
Posted 2007-03-25 5:26 PM (#81152 - in reply to #81150)

Hi Jenny,
I doubt I could, actually-I think most yoga schools actually encourage this flattening of the lumbar spine-I think the supposition is that it is good to stretch the lumbar spine at the back, and also, perhaps to seek to correct excessive lumbar lordosis. But this is based on a faulty understanding of human anatomy and physiology. It does no good to stretch muscles to encourage good posture if you do not learn to activate opposing muscle groups which will hold the new 'good' posture. I was saying exactly this to Shakira on the supta madmasana thread.
In this particular posture, you will see that attempting to regain good spinal posture in opposition to the turning forces that are created by adopting this posture, will serve to activate those muscles which improve our good spinal position. Any muscle that is tight, and which opposes the action that you are creating by improving the spinal position, will get stretched.
Typically, for example, the hamstrings on the back of the front leg will get a severe stretching if the foot is stuck to the floor properly, and the pelvis is tilted. You are basically fixing the attachments of the hamstrings on the tibia, and stretching the muscle by performing anterior tilt of the pelvis. So you are not stretching the hamstrings and buggering your knee up at the same time, but you are stretching your hamstrings by improving your spinal position and strengthening the knee.
take care
Nick
Isola
Posted 2007-03-25 5:44 PM (#81154 - in reply to #81152)

Lucky that I have this forum when I can't sleep, it takes time to read posts that contains lots of anatomical terms. ;)

What about theese?

(43.jpg)

(44.jpg)

(45.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 43.jpg (9KB - 53 downloads)
Attachments 44.jpg (46KB - 61 downloads)
Attachments 45.jpg (24KB - 55 downloads)
Nick
Posted 2007-03-26 12:50 AM (#81180 - in reply to #81154)

Hi Jenny,
Now that's just mean-these two are painful for someone like me to behold Loss of lumbar curve, knee hyper-extension, improper compensation to maintain balance. back to school, the lot of them.

nick
Nick
Posted 2007-03-26 1:17 AM (#81181 - in reply to #81180)

Hi,
I guess you shouldn't really be able to see someone's navel if the abdomen is braced and the lumbar spine is in neutral-all these three are allowing navel-gazing to take place

Nick
iandicker
Posted 2007-03-26 2:57 AM (#81182 - in reply to #81181)

How about this one from Mr Swenson? I hope it's OK to scan it in from his book. I would have tried to copy a pic of Sharath from Yoga Mala, but parvritta trikonasana isn't included for some strange reason.

Ian
iandicker
Posted 2007-03-26 3:00 AM (#81183 - in reply to #81182)

Sorry, my fault I think. Here's the pic (I hope)
Nick
Posted 2007-03-26 3:03 AM (#81184 - in reply to #81183)

Hi Ian,
You have to submit the picture when you post-sometimes if the file is too big it won't take it.

Nick
iandicker
Posted 2007-03-26 3:08 AM (#81186 - in reply to #81182)

Computer's on the fritz. Hope this works!
Isola
Posted 2007-03-26 3:10 AM (#81187 - in reply to #81180)

Nick - 2007-03-26 6:50 AM

Hi Jenny,
Now that's just mean-these two are painful for someone like me to behold Loss of lumbar curve, knee hyper-extension, improper compensation to maintain balance. back to school, the lot of them.

nick

MAN this is hard in English!! ;)

I have to ask...

Loss of lumbar curve... Can you explain that like you would explain to a 5 year old...? ;)

And... When you say hyper extension, do you mean that they maintain the straightness in the leg by "locking" the knee instead of keeping the leg muscles active? I'm the queen of hyper extension and have to work hard not to fall in to the hyper extention-trap.
iandicker
Posted 2007-03-26 3:12 AM (#81188 - in reply to #81182)

Can't seem to attach files this morning. Will try later. Incidentally I get a strong stretch in my hamstring when I do this pose. Hoping this means I'm doing it right.

Ian
iandicker
Posted 2007-03-26 3:12 AM (#81189 - in reply to #81182)

Can't seem to attach files this morning. Will try later. Incidentally I get a strong stretch in my hamstring when I do this pose. Hoping this means I'm doing it right.

Ian
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)