YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Daily practice
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Aotearoa
Posted 2007-03-27 12:19 AM (#81327)
Subject: Daily practice

Afternoon all

This has probably been addressed already but I just can't be bothered trying to find all threads now. Sorry!

I just recently got back into practising Mysore style twice a week after a knee injury. As much as I love yoga and want to pursue this to a more fulfilling and deeper level, I just can't imagine getting up six mornings every week and practise the Primary Series. I am aware that progress doesn't come without effort so I want to take it to the next level, at this stage though I find the thought quite off-putting.

What's your experience with the transition? Did you leap from two days per week to six days or was it a gradual change? How did you feel when you had to get up really early, being stiff and cold and tired, to get into your asanas? Were you feeling a bit wary too?

Just wondering if I'm abnormal in any way?!

Cheers for any advice,

OM SHANTI

Aotearoa
Top of the page Bottom of the page
iandicker
Posted 2007-03-27 3:14 AM (#81344 - in reply to #81327)
Subject: RE: Daily practice

Sounds pretty normal to me. I seldom really want to get up and do asanas at 5.30, but once I'm up and doing it, it all seems to come into place. It now seems really weird on my days off when I get up at 7 with the rest of the house.
If I want a lie in, I get up at 6 and do David Swenson's 45 minute sequence.

Ian
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-27 7:54 AM (#81361 - in reply to #81327)

You would be Abnormal only if your knee is not completely OK.
jonnie
Posted 2007-03-27 11:17 AM (#81406 - in reply to #81327)

Hi Aotearoa,

Ashtanga Vinyasa is best as a daily practise.

I recommend sticking with your twice weekly Mysore classes and then developing a home practise each morning (it doesn't need to be at 6.00 am). Your home practise can be as long or as short as you desire and will improve with time.

In my experience as an Ashtanga teacher, two things that really mix badly with this style are sacro-illiac problems and knee injuries. Listen to your body and if things get worse and not better, maybe try a less dynamic style that will allow you to build the specific muscle stability to support the knees.

Jonathon
riftweaver
Posted 2007-03-27 11:55 AM (#81418 - in reply to #81406)

jonnie - 2007-03-27 11:17 AM
In my experience as an Ashtanga teacher, two things that really mix badly with this style are sacro-illiac problems and knee injuries. Listen to your body and if things get worse and not better, maybe try a less dynamic style that will allow you to build the specific muscle stability to support the knees.
Jonathon

Great, my two problem areas.

Of course, when my knee was bad, I did back away from ashtanga for a few months, so I second the motion to really listen to your body.

--Jason
jonnie
Posted 2007-03-27 12:25 PM (#81434 - in reply to #81327)

It's possible to protect the SI by following nick's advice on developing core strength and then learning to move from the core, though with the knees it's a different matter all together unfortunately...
Hehet
Posted 2007-03-27 12:30 PM (#81440 - in reply to #81327)

My issue is the discipline to get up at half 5 in the morning

I'm a better evening-yogini, is that still OK?
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-27 2:28 PM (#81456 - in reply to #81440)

Hehet - 2007-03-27 12:30 PM

My issue is the discipline to get up at half 5 in the morning

I'm a better evening-yogini, is that still OK?

You should never get up at 5 in the morning. I mean get up before that!!! NO, just kidding. You should get up only when the night rest is over.

Posted 2007-03-27 2:44 PM (#81459 - in reply to #81327)

for me, it's 7 am. i always wake up at 7 am. always. i can go to bed at 6:30, and i wake up at 7. then i go back to sleep. LOL
Hehet
Posted 2007-03-27 4:32 PM (#81465 - in reply to #81327)

See for me, I get to work (i'm an analyst) for 8 and on the days i don't have school i start my practice between 6 and 6:30 pm. 

this is ok, right?

or really should I cultivate the discipline to get up at 5 for asana practice?
Aotearoa
Posted 2007-03-27 4:43 PM (#81466 - in reply to #81327)

Hi all

Your advice is much appreciated. My knee is on the mend because I don't overdo it. My teachers are aware of the problem too so make sure I take it easy enough and do variations if necessary.

Once I'm finished with my travelling I'm probably gonna start adding practice mornings and slowly but surely increase to 6 days of practice. Everything else I'll just take from there.

Hehet, I understand where you're coming from. I much prefer my evening class because I feel I can totally detach from office issues and everything else that may stress me out sometimes.
Thanks a million for your replies, lads and keep up the good work so that beginners like me have a bit of guidance.

Namaste

Aotearoa
Aotearoa
Posted 2007-03-27 4:43 PM (#81467 - in reply to #81327)

Hi all

Your advice is much appreciated. My knee is on the mend because I don't overdo it. My teachers are aware of the problem too so make sure I take it easy enough and do variations if necessary.

Once I'm finished with my travelling I'm probably gonna start adding practice mornings and slowly but surely increase to 6 days of practice. Everything else I'll just take from there.

Hehet, I understand where you're coming from. I much prefer my evening class because I feel I can totally detach from office issues and everything else that may stress me out sometimes.
Thanks a million for your replies, lads and keep up the good work so that beginners like me have a bit of guidance.

Namaste

Aotearoa
OptiMystic
Posted 2007-03-27 11:42 PM (#81492 - in reply to #81418)

riftweaver - 2007-03-27 11:55 AM

jonnie - 2007-03-27 11:17 AM
Jonathon

Great, my two problem areas.

Of course, when my knee was bad, I did back away from ashtanga for a few months, so I second the motion to really listen to your body.

--Jason

Same here; I have some rheumatic isues and a herniated disc in the lower back and popping, cracking and occasional swelling of the knees. Well, also the ankles and I have bursitis in the shoulders, chronic tendonitis in one elbow. Oh yeah - TMJ in the jaw. It's all part of the family genetics. I have 2 sisters and a brother; we are all over 45 and I am the only one that has ever broken a bone (a small one in the hand). That's because we all have strong bones held together with rubber bands, We all have been treated for numerous rhematic issues. Yoga is helping a lot with maintaining flexability and targeting muscles around the joints to provide extra support. I pretty much have to do a little almost every day to stay flexible. I have not seen my rheumatoligist in a couple of years and the last time was just a clean bill of health check up. But my siblings haven't come around yet...

Edited by OptiMystic 2007-03-27 11:45 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)