YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Forearm/HandStand
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Nick
Posted 2007-04-02 1:47 AM (#81967 - in reply to #81945)
Subject: RE: Forearm/HandStand

Hi fechter,
i think if you could lift, you would never say practice pincha first-it's a lot harder than handstand-I only go it after I had been lifting into handstand for a few years-but then, I'm lazy.
Also, you will 'banana' a lot less if you lift.

Nick
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hehet
Posted 2007-04-02 3:22 AM (#81971 - in reply to #81967)

i like how nick says he "lazy"

Nick, i do appreciate the technicalities, however i do struggle with converting your words into the "pictures" i need.  I'm not trying to shirk away from the challenge

i need for you to understand that

gone to search for the 96 matches

Nick - 2007-04-02 1:47 AMHi fechter,i think if you could lift, you would never say practice pincha first-it's a lot harder than handstand-I only go it after I had been lifting into handstand for a few years-but then, I'm lazy.Also, you will 'banana' a lot less if you lift.Nick
Hehet
Posted 2007-04-02 4:06 AM (#81974 - in reply to #81541)

So what I'm seeing so far is the importance of bandhas and using the core to lift into the poses

i can "lift up" into a headstand without much difficulty, so maybe the key is to have confidence in the base i create with my hands, arms and shoulders (for handstand) and in my forearms, and shoulders in the case of pincha, as i've learned to with my head and hands?
Nick
Posted 2007-04-02 4:13 AM (#81975 - in reply to #81971)

Hi Shakira,
Yes-sorry, I should have said something really important-you need to get educated, and to do that, you need to have sources of information which explain anatomy and physiology in ways which are valuable. As your knowledge increases, you will be able to find all you need on the internet-it takes patience-if I had given up in six months, then I wouldn't be able to contribute anything useful-as it is, I feel that I know a fair bit of things that are pertinent to yoga practice. I love learning about anatomy, but only because it is useful in learning to do what I love doing-yoga, and helping others achieve health through their practice. All this knowledge is useless otherwise, and I would not have learned so much if it didn't have a practical purpose.
So you are going to have to sweat it out-be patient. Everyone is in the same boat. And, I don't think I know everything-I do know how little I know, and that's all.

Nick
Hehet
Posted 2007-04-02 4:15 AM (#81976 - in reply to #81541)

ok, in reading about lifting, you should feel like you want to pull your hands off the floor even when you're placing pressure ON them?
Nick
Posted 2007-04-02 4:19 AM (#81977 - in reply to #81976)

Hehet - 2007-04-02 9:15 AM

ok, in reading about lifting, you should feel like you want to pull your hands off the floor even when you're placing pressure ON them?

Yes, definitely-this pulls the sternum into elevation, just as you are breathing, which also elevates the sternum-if you push you are actually depressing the sternum, or at elast there's a good chance-result?bad posture, no optimum breath, no bandha.
Nick
Hehet
Posted 2007-04-02 4:19 AM (#81978 - in reply to #81975)

it's too late now for me to be anonymous, isn't it?

ok, yes i want to learn the anatomy and physiology of the muscles i would be using (i was a zoology major so it's not that far away from things  i'm familiar with)

Where, then are affordable ways to access the right materials to read?
Hehet
Posted 2007-04-02 4:20 AM (#81979 - in reply to #81977)

ok, at the same time should you be thinking of mula bandha and uddiyana bandha, while you're push/pulling?

Nick - 2007-04-02 4:19 AM
Hehet - 2007-04-02 9:15 AMok, in reading about lifting, you should feel like you want to pull your hands off the floor even when you're placing pressure ON them?
Yes, definitely-this pulls the sternum into elevation, just as you are breathing, which also elevates the sternum-if you push you are actually depressing the sternum, or at elast there's a good chance-result?bad posture, no optimum breath, no bandha.Nick
Nick
Posted 2007-04-02 4:24 AM (#81980 - in reply to #81978)

Hi Shakira,
I've said about these books before-they are at the pinnacle of what a yoga teacher should learn. If they are too complicated, get other books and accesss the net using a battery of key words from the books.

Anatomy and human movement by Palastanga et al

Anatomy trains by Thomas Myers.

Nick

Nick
Posted 2007-04-02 4:31 AM (#81981 - in reply to #81979)

Hehet - 2007-04-02 9:20 AM

ok, at the same time should you be thinking of mula bandha and uddiyana bandha, while you're push/pulling?

Hehet - 2007-04-02 9:15 AMok, in reading about lifting, you should feel like you want to pull your hands off the floor even when you're placing pressure ON them?
Yes, definitely-this pulls the sternum into elevation, just as you are breathing, which also elevates the sternum-if you push you are actually depressing the sternum, or at elast there's a good chance-result?bad posture, no optimum breath, no bandha.Nick

He he, now I know you are winding me up Only kidding. How I teach bandha is different form everyone else-so I expect that your understanding of bandha is different from mine. I'm not bragging, but I would expect that if I could transpalnt my core muscles into you, and I'm a six foot, eleven stone male, then you would be floating up into a handstand-if my core muscles can help get me up, getting you up would be a breeze-unless there's something holding you back that the core muscles cannot overcome-or, and I think this is extremely likely, it is your core or bandha that is actually holding you back, because their action is dyfunctional.
Gotta go, back later
Nick
Hehet
Posted 2007-04-02 4:44 AM (#81982 - in reply to #81981)

i'm not sure if you're joking or not, so i'm afraid i cannot share in your mirth (rueful smile)..i'm trying too hard to understand what you're saying.  I concede my core is weak

i'm 5'10" and 10 st 5 lbs (yeah, a tall girl) so i feel i should be able to lift, i just want to be sure of how to get the action going

i think i know the push/pull thing, but what happens next

let me try to find these books

i'll have to order them online when i can afford it

Nick - 2007-04-02 4:31 AM
Hehet - 2007-04-02 9:20 AMok, at the same time should you be thinking of mula bandha and uddiyana bandha, while you're push/pulling?

He he, now I know you are winding me up Only kidding. How I teach bandha is different form everyone else-so I expect that your understanding of bandha is different from mine. I'm not bragging, but I would expect that if I could transpalnt my core muscles into you, and I'm a six foot, eleven stone male, then you would be floating up into a handstand-if my core muscles can help get me up, getting you up would be a breeze-unless there's something holding you back that the core muscles cannot overcome-or, and I think this is extremely likely, it is your core or bandha that is actually holding you back, because their action is dyfunctional.Gotta go, back laterNick
Nick
Posted 2007-04-02 7:51 AM (#81986 - in reply to #81982)

Hi Shakira,
Why would being tall help you lift-it would do the opposite-you don't get tall gymnasts for a reason.

Nick
Nick
Posted 2007-04-02 8:22 AM (#81988 - in reply to #81986)

A weak core? Here is the exercise again.
When I gave the exercise before, I didn't give any info on how to progress towards it. That is a book in itself. A good way is to either keep the knees on the ground, or have the forearms at a height-a stage about 2 feet off the ground-you can even do it with the elbows on the wall. Just keep practicing it and exercises to help you attain it. Practice yoga in a manner that trains the core muscles. There are loads of progressions-we are only limited by our imagination.
I think that when we are about to lift back, we should have a braced abdomen. In the case of lifting into a handstand, all of the abdominal muscles will contract, even though the spine is extending. Why? When most people think of abdominal contraction, they think of doing crunch style movements, where the spine is flexed. But when the abdominal muscles are braced with the spine extended, as it is when we lift into a handstand, it is like you are preserving the architecture of the abdominal wall. When you try to lift off the floor, there is what is called a flexion moment on the spine, which tends to flex it, and there is also a flexion moment on the hips, which tends to mean that it is difficult to lift the feet. if the abdominal muscles do not brace with sufficient force, or if you perform bandha in such a way, such as hollowing the abdomen, then you will not be able to overcome either of these two flexion moments-well, it makes it much harder, if not impossible-no one in their right mind would do it.
A simpler way of looking at it would be to say that the rectus abdominus goes from the pubic bone to the sternum. It is therefore a mid-line muscle, running vertically. By bracing the entire abdominal wall, we help to keep the rectus abdominus at the length which actually extends the spine, and tips the pelvis upside down-the pubic bone is pushed up by the abdominal wall acting like a jack underneath a car. The abdominal wall acts as a lever on the the spine and legs and hips.
The exercise given below should train you to be able to maintain this contraction, even when you need it most vigorously, such as handstand, inversions, vinyasa...If you are about to lift up, and you cannot feel the abs contract in exactly the same way as during the core test, then you are not ever going to get up. What will have been happening up till now is that you have not recognized the correct contraction. You will therefore have to alter the way you move and do postures, to allow this contraction to take place as a result of the position that you are trying to attain. I sometimes demonstrate this exercise, just the inital plank position, and then slide my feet towards my hands over a slidy wooden floor, and then lift up into scorpion. Usually silences the doubters:-)

How to conduct the test
The Core Muscle Strength & Stability Test is conducted as follows:

• Position the watch on the ground where you can easily see it
• Assume the basic press up position (elbows on the ground) - as in the picture above
• Hold this position for 60 seconds
• Lift your right arm off the ground
• Hold this position for 15 seconds
• Return your right arm to the ground and lift the left arm off the ground
• Return your left arm to the ground and lift the right leg off the ground
• Return your right leg to the ground and lift the left leg off the ground
• Lift your left leg and right arm off the ground
• Return you left leg and right arm to the ground
• Lift your right leg and left arm off the ground
• Return to the basic press up position (elbows on the ground) - as in the picture above
• Hold this position for 30 seconds
Nick
Posted 2007-04-02 12:02 PM (#82010 - in reply to #81541)

And another thing! The method of using the spine to propel creatures through their environment is easily observible in diverse life-forms, from the vertebrate fish, to the snake, to the lizard, to the crawling infant. But it is not so easily observible in the erect human. Has the mechanism been lost, or is it merely disguised by the presence of the legs? It has been theorized (the "spinal engine") that the spine is still vital in providing the driving force to movement-the legs have not replaced the spinal engine, they merely act as amplifiers of the movments that are created by the spine engine itself. The spinal engine theory states that it is the powful hip muscles that provide the power-again, in our ape cousins, you will see that the gluteus maximus and hamstrings are powerful climbing muscles which extend the hip joint, pushing us upwards.
Now, what I've done so far is concentrate on using bandha as a tool for creating the right conditions for lift-off. But it's still impossible-why? because to complete the movment, you need to activate the hip extensors , so that the two hips are extended and the feet can then point towards the ceiling. So really, you are developing a powerful tool in good posture and good movement, by learning to lift-these muscles are just not powerfully activated in the same way by kicking. If you are successful, you may wake up the next morning with strained hamstrings-especially if you try to do it with the legs straight-the action puts a big load on both these and gluteus maximus. Then you start to perform yoga to the primitive beat of the jungle...

Nick
Hehet
Posted 2007-04-02 12:16 PM (#82013 - in reply to #81541)

so yoga is a way for us to claim our evolutionary heritage, eh?  
fechter03
Posted 2007-04-02 9:15 PM (#82057 - in reply to #81967)

Extreme Veteran

Nick - 2007-04-02 1:47 AM

Hi fechter,
i think if you could lift, you would never say practice pincha first-it's a lot harder than handstand-I only go it after I had been lifting into handstand for a few years-but then, I'm lazy.
Also, you will 'banana' a lot less if you lift.

Nick

yeah i know nick...i'll take in stages. i'm not expecting anything overnight. right now as i said, i can play with weight transfer so i imagine that within a yr or even more or whenever, i'll get things straightened out...literally,
Hehet
Posted 2007-04-02 11:03 PM (#82080 - in reply to #81986)

ah, this is what happens when i misread what you write

does the fact that i'm mostly legs and short torso mean ihave to work even harder?

Nick - 2007-04-02 7:51 AMHi Shakira,Why would being tall help you lift-it would do the opposite-you don't get tall gymnasts for a reason.Nick
Nick
Posted 2007-04-03 1:40 AM (#82086 - in reply to #82080)

Hi Skakira,
Well, there's only one reason China was at the top of the tree in gymnastics for so long-they have a huhe genepool of people who find it is easier to to gymnastic moves as a result of short stature.

Nick
Hehet
Posted 2007-04-03 2:00 AM (#82087 - in reply to #81541)

ok then, i'm not very smart, am i?

ok, i'll practise the exercise i laid out
Nick
Posted 2007-04-03 2:54 AM (#82090 - in reply to #82087)

Hi Shakira,
Well, long legs may not get you in the gymnastic squad, but I bet you look great in heels Always think positive! The reason we have progressions towards postures is not just to give a person an exercise according to their ability, but because the ratios of bone lengths are different for everybody. I was just reading this week about an Australian swimmer who is winning everything at the moment. His arms are longer, his shoulders are broader, giving him a superb hydrodynamic shape. His core muscles have been trained superbly, so he can keep perfect technique. There was a few other things as well. Some things you can train, some things are going to stay put.
What we have to do in our yoga practice to make sure it is healthy, is to perform exercises that optimize our structure through the training of our function. By using the different muscle groups to perform various movements and postures, we are training motor engrams in the central nervous system which mean that we exhibit good posture, i.e. optimum structure, throughout our day and night. It is not the creation of wild postures during your yoga practice which lend good function. It is how you use your muscle groups to design each posture and each movement.
A suitable analogy might be, if you want to build a house, employ an architect who knows good design and engineering principles to make use of the various materials you have to hand, to the best effect. In yoga, this means having an expert teacher, but also becoming expert yourself-unless the teacher is going to be with you 24-7-even then.
And by the way, about being smart-I feel amazed every day at the complexity and cunning of the human body. The day I don't feel this, is the day I will give up. 100 billion neurons in the brain, more available neural connections (synapses) than there are atoms in the universe-each individual that ever lived with a unique design. Anyone who says they understand the human body is a fool, anyone who says they don't is smart. But we can all make an effort...

Nick
Nick
Posted 2007-04-03 5:02 AM (#82091 - in reply to #82057)

Hi Fechter,
Me too What's interesting about inversions is how they all involve extending the spine, but all make it difficult to extend the spine. So shoulderstand, where the entire spine is literally pulled into flexion, can be made 'more advanced' by teaching a return to neutral of the cervical spine, which tends to be flattened, extension of the thoracic spine, which again tends to flex, pushing the back against the hands, and a movment towards neutral of the lumbar spine. This does several things-the hips are extended more powerfully (the spinal engine again dominates our movement). The hip flexors are stretched, the arms are made to bear our weight so the spine is not weight bearing and is therefore free to contribute to our postural alignment by mobilizing, and, perhaps most importantly, a tension is exerted across the entire neuro-musculo-skeletal system which trains good posture-and therefore has knock-on effects on the function of the heart, circulation, gastro-intestinal tract, lymphatic system, respiratory mechanics-no wonder a good yoga practice feels so good
I hope that any contribution I make to this post and this forum reflects my desire to instil these factors into our practice. I know that this approach is tough and challenging.
Take care
Nick
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)