YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Forearm/HandStand
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Hehet
Posted 2007-03-28 1:09 PM (#81541)
Subject: Forearm/HandStand

For these two asanas how do you steady yourself ?

i'm trying to wean myself off of the wall, sometimes i get the poses for like 20 seconds max but then i lose balance again, whereas i can stay in headstand for minutes on end just relaxed and do some of the variation (except for the one with Pincha Mayurasana arms) and i can even hold Parivritta Eka Pada Sirsasana for a while

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick
Posted 2007-03-28 1:20 PM (#81545 - in reply to #81541)
Subject: RE: Forearm/HandStand

Hi Shakira,
I asked the same question when I first started, and I'm afraid the answer is to never use the wall in the first place. It took me at least a year to undo the effects of learning to kick up and use the wall. This is tough-but you have to take it on the chin and begin lifting up in the middle of the room. You are going to hate me for this, but it's the only way. You'll begin to like me again when you can do it.

Nick
Hehet
Posted 2007-03-28 2:39 PM (#81550 - in reply to #81541)

i don't mind trying, the worst that can happen is that i fall over and if i tuck and roll only my ego would be bruised.

The thing is, none of my teachers can teach these, so how do i go about it ?
jonnie
Posted 2007-03-29 1:06 PM (#81651 - in reply to #81541)

Yes, follow Nick's advice and also work on your core stability. A great way in this context is to work with headstand (either free or with a wall) and practise raising and lowering your straight legs into the pose.

If you can find a person to spot for you, lift up into a free handstand and let them place their hands either side of your ankles (about four cm's away) so if you lose your balance they can gently ease you back into alignment. You are still doing 95% of the work...

Jonathon
Hehet
Posted 2007-03-29 1:35 PM (#81661 - in reply to #81541)

i can balance about 6 inches from a wall for a few seconds, especially when i engage uddiyana bandha and remember to keep the dosriflex in my feet going

but i will ask a partner to act as my wall
Nick
Posted 2007-03-29 1:47 PM (#81664 - in reply to #81661)

Hi there,
Gymnasts use a kind of ankle cuff so that they keep their feet together when they lift. Instead of a chain, the cuffs are linked with velcro, in case of accidents. The objective of using a partner should not be to use them as wall, but only to take hold of you if you start to over-balance.
For many years I have helped my students up into handstand by taking hold of their hips and replacing the strength they need to get up. It's not entirely pointless, but I've started taking them through the same process I had to-DIY This way, even if they never get up, they still get the benefits of the movement.
The most important thing is to get your pelvis tipped upside down. This takes long hams.
The upside-down pelvis will encourage extension throughout the whole spine. Try doing it with a mirror beside you-the normal mistake is to have the lumbar and thoracic in flexion and the cervical spine in hyper-extension to make up for the rubbish posture of the other two sections.
Also, many try to lift up with their pelvis still over their feet-it needs to be moving over the hands, so that you can lift off, rather than jump up. Have fun!

nick
jonnie
Posted 2007-03-29 1:55 PM (#81665 - in reply to #81661)

Hehet - 2007-03-30 9:35 PM

i can balance about 6 inches from a wall for a few seconds, especially when i engage uddiyana bandha and remember to keep the dosriflex in my feet going

but i will ask a partner to act as my wall

Hi Hehet,

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear in my post.

The partner should not act as a wall. You lift up freestyle without your partner's help. They should stand by the side of you with their hands positioned to gently ease you back if you begin to lose balance.

Jonathon
Hehet
Posted 2007-03-29 2:10 PM (#81667 - in reply to #81541)

oh, ok

lifting up freestyle is wht i cannot do

Nick, how do you get your pelvis over your hands?
Nick
Posted 2007-03-29 3:22 PM (#81677 - in reply to #81667)

Hi Shakira,
Good question. I think that the problem lies in the way we do sun salutes. You put your hands on the floor, with the hips still over the feet-then people are forced to jump back. Use the following in the sun salutes as well as handstands.
Ok, you have put your hands on the floor-as you breathe in to look up, try to use the movement like a lead that pulls your head, and therefore your pelvis, over your hands, or at least in that direction. The lead should run through your spine, creating extension along its length. The spine then pulls the feet from the floor. Easy to say, a lifetime to perfect.

Nick
Hehet
Posted 2007-03-29 6:55 PM (#81690 - in reply to #81677)

committing this to memory

Nick - 2007-03-29 3:22 PM
 Ok, you have put your hands on the floor-as you breathe in to look up, try to use the movement like a lead that pulls your head, and therefore your pelvis, over your hands, or at least in that direction. The lead should run through your spine, creating extension along its length. The spine then pulls the feet from the floor. Easy to say, a lifetime to perfect.Nick
Nick
Posted 2007-03-30 12:24 AM (#81720 - in reply to #81690)

Hi Shakira,
there's a muscle which helps explain the movement-latissimus dorsi. It's origin is on the lumbar spine and iliac crest, and its insertion is on the humerus. On the way up, it is also attached the the lower edge of the scapula. In a handstand, the insertion becomes the origin, because it is a fixed point. This means that the incredibly powerful latissimus can pull the pelvis up, and the scapula attachment means that the scapula is pulled in and down-perfect. This means that you are not just using the pectoralis, and you should find, with time, that it is much easier to lift.
Also because you are concentrically contracting the latissimus, the origin and insertion are being pulled towards each other, and this will encourage you to extend your spine-if the spine is flexed, the attachments are drawn away from each other.

Nick
Hehet
Posted 2007-04-01 12:10 PM (#81910 - in reply to #81541)

i'm slowly managing to balance in Pincha Mayurasana without the wall,  yesterday i got it for almost a minute!   

i start from a modified downdog (on my forearms) and try to open the shoulders like i want to push through them (sounds weird?) and i walk my legs in like i wanna get my tush over my head, then i extend one leg up behind me and push up/forward on the other (like kicking up but i don't bend my legs) and manage to correct myself up there. 

It felt really good, so i'm gonna practice now to control that
Nick
Posted 2007-04-01 12:19 PM (#81911 - in reply to #81910)

Hi Shakira,
If you do that, you'll never learn to use your or correct body position. All of a sudden you will find that the machine you have been using to get from point A to point B has been badly designed, and the evidence is irrefutable-you cannot do it. Hard yoga from a hard city!

Take care, have fun rebuiliding the chassis and engine, you'll need new soecs for both
Nick
Hehet
Posted 2007-04-01 12:56 PM (#81915 - in reply to #81911)

oh no 

now i feel badly, this isn't a good way?

**back to drawing board**

Nick - 2007-04-01 12:19 PMHi Shakira,If you do that, you'll never learn to use your or correct body position. All of a sudden you will find that the machine you have been using to get from point A to point B has been badly designed, and the evidence is irrefutable-you cannot do it. Hard yoga from a hard city! Take care, have fun rebuiliding the chassis and engine, you'll need new soecs for both Nick
Nick
Posted 2007-04-01 2:30 PM (#81919 - in reply to #81915)

Hi Shakira,
Well, back in the good old days, you would have got a keel-hauling and probably a few lashes from a cat-o-nine tails, but unfortunately us yoga teachers aren't allowed to do things like that any more (although I've heard rumours... ).
Take care
Nick
Hehet
Posted 2007-04-01 4:16 PM (#81924 - in reply to #81919)

riiiiight

i thought you said the key was to get your pelvis over yourhead instead of your head and then use the power in thelats to raise yourself.

now i'm more confused than b4

Nick - 2007-04-01 2:30 PMHi Shakira,Well, back in the good old days, you would have got a keel-hauling and probably a few lashes from a cat-o-nine tails, but unfortunately us yoga teachers aren't allowed to do things like that any more (although I've heard rumours... ).Take careNick
Nick
Posted 2007-04-01 6:19 PM (#81928 - in reply to #81924)

Hi Shakira,
Don't be too confuse and upset-that's too adult, be confusedc and ecited and want to do it again, like a child

Nick
Hehet
Posted 2007-04-01 6:29 PM (#81930 - in reply to #81928)

Nick, that's not the problem

the problem is not understanding how to translate your words into the proper actions.  and because of that, i don't get when you're being cryptic from when you're being literal

i want your help, but i'm getting lost

Nick - 2007-04-01 6:19 PMHi Shakira,Don't be too confuse and upset-that's too adult, be confusedc and ecited and want to do it again, like a child Nick
Nick
Posted 2007-04-01 6:57 PM (#81933 - in reply to #81930)

Hi Shakira,
Me, cryptic? Sorry, let me address your concerns. What exactly is the problem, I must have mis-understood, or you were being too cryptic. Remember that I give a lot of replies to a lot of people, so I don't necessarily have a full history at a glance when I post to each individual. I should keep a case history file of each person that asks my advice, and before I reply, look at the file, and write down what happens during the course of our interaction. But I don't do this-you would have to start paying me a lot of money, so don't even ask
So, let's go through the whole deal-I have a patience which is almost psychopathic, so I'm willing to nibble away at this for as long as you want. You will not be able to break me We can do this, but only together, like bonnie and clyde

Nick
Hehet
Posted 2007-04-01 7:08 PM (#81934 - in reply to #81541)

First things first, the simpler the language, the easier it is for me to translate it into action, this does not mean i don't treasure your technical acumen, but that in trying to process the complex layers of what you're saying, what i need to do gets lost

ok, as a start, let's go VERY slowly , no long epistles

for pincha - i start out in dolphin pose

for handstand - i start out in down dog

in both i need to get my hips over my head

or rather, how do YOU start to go into these poses?

Posted 2007-04-01 8:06 PM (#81935 - in reply to #81541)

i'ma play too!
how does one go about getting the feet to lift off the floor?
i'm on my tip-toes, with most of my weight on my hands, but those durn feet won't come off the floor?
is it just a matter of biting the bullet and moving my hips backwards, then?
i realize it IS problematic to always be kicking up into handstands, and such a waste of energy, but as my Iyengar lineage teachers aren't going to teach how to lift-off, i suppose i'm on my own.
any tips on how to fall safely?
fechter03
Posted 2007-04-01 9:54 PM (#81945 - in reply to #81541)

Extreme Veteran

well what i did to stick handstand is to first have the confidence to move to the middle of the room. you'll need lots of space. what i realized was that my body developed its "escape route" on its own so i wasn't afraid for some reason. i did kick up one leg at a time and eventually stuck it for several breaths and came down on my own without falling. i did have quite a banana (and still do, ) but you can't have everything perfect the first time. right now i'm still kicking up but now i'm playing with shifting the weight all over the place while i'm up there so as to not "banana" so much.

i'd also say to work on pincha mayurasan first. you seem to be on your way. at least you have "yoga teachers" in jamaica (unlike antigua, some of us started on our own from books).
Hehet
Posted 2007-04-01 10:35 PM (#81950 - in reply to #81945)

which is why I want to teach...the caribbean needs good teachers who can go around and make it affordable for the average person to access the gift of yoga

Nick would have you flagellated for your heresy talk of kicking up
i'm working with pincha away from a wall
fechter03 - 2007-04-01 9:54 PMwell what i did to stick handstand is to first have the confidence to move to the middle of the room. you'll need lots of space. what i realized was that my body developed its "escape route" on its own so i wasn't afraid for some reason. i did kick up one leg at a time and eventually stuck it for several breaths and came down on my own without falling. i did have quite a banana (and still do, ) but you can't have everything perfect the first time. right now i'm still kicking up but now i'm playing with shifting the weight all over the place while i'm up there so as to not "banana" so much.i'd also say to work on pincha mayurasan first. you seem to be on your way. at least you have "yoga teachers" in jamaica (unlike antigua, some of us started on our own from books).
fechter03
Posted 2007-04-02 12:56 AM (#81962 - in reply to #81950)

Extreme Veteran

Hehet - 2007-04-01 10:35 PM

which is why I want to teach...the caribbean needs good teachers who can go around and make it affordable for the average person to access the gift of yoga

Nick would have you flagellated for your heresy talk of kicking up

well..i think its the iyengar way...i am also working on going up both legs at a time. that takes a lot more confidence than kicking up one leg at a time. its a continuous work in progress. i think the best thing to do is to first get comfortable being upside down in something other than shoulderstand..then you need to get up there however you can. over time you'll make little discoveries that will lead you in the right direction eventually. some of the times for me, i had to do poses "not so right" before i could get them right (as long as i wasn't hurting myself).

good luck to you in teaching. not sure about jamaica but i don't know how yoga would appeal to antiguans. i wish everyone would discover it though.
Nick
Posted 2007-04-02 1:43 AM (#81966 - in reply to #81934)

Hi Shakira,
Will do. what I will do, however, is to stick to the technical stuff, because if you do not learn it, you will never learn how to mobilize you own body, or that of others if you are a teacher. And this is vital. My aim is to instil this into yoga teachers world-wide You are going to have to bite the bullet, otherwise you will never feel like you have integrity in teaching, knowing that you have the oportunity to learn, and have refused to take it. But I'll be here to explain stuff, so chin up!
Fo scorpion pose, dolphin is fine, for handstand, I would say downdog is too far away-I have never seen any one go into a handstand by lifting from there-I can't do it and certainly wouldn't recommend it as a starting point.
How do I go into these poses? first of all, I'd like you to search for 'nick handstand.' The answer will be there, and you will also see how people have tried to wriggle out of confronting their fears and stuff. If I write about it again, and get the same wriggling, I'm going to go mad So you do me a favour and search, think of it as research (I just found 96 matches), and then you will porbably get a more complete picture. I'm probably 'hotter' on lifting biomechanics and anatomy and physiology than any other aspect of the study of human movement.

Nick

Edited by Nick 2007-04-02 1:59 AM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)