YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Primary series?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Isola
Posted 2007-03-28 4:54 PM (#81564)
Subject: Primary series?

How does it work, the primary series? I've read about on the internet and heard about it, but I can't seem to grasp how it works in practice.

Would be great if someone could explain a little bit about it, maybe recommend a good website, book or dvd?

/Jenny - eager to learn about everything!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hehet
Posted 2007-03-28 5:48 PM (#81571 - in reply to #81564)
Subject: RE: Primary series?

my understanding is that it's the basis of Ashtanga asana practice...the first in a set of 6 sequences of asanas, always done in a precise order, though i've heard teachers that mix poses for other series in.  So from Costa Rica to Paris to Cairo, it's the same sequencing

Aotearoa
Posted 2007-03-28 9:00 PM (#81584 - in reply to #81564)

Hiya Isola

Check out the link below to a rather detailed Ashtanga handbook. It depicts every asana in the Primary Series plus it explains exactly what you have to do. What's more, you will learn about breath and bandhas and the best thing about this manual is that it's free. Just print it off double-sided, bind (if you work in an office you should find a binding machine somewhere) and use as your practice reference. It's really good!

The link is as follows ~

http://www.yogadotcalm.com/learning_docs/aym_us.pdf

Best of luck with it.

NAMASTE

Aotearoa
Hehet
Posted 2007-03-28 9:24 PM (#81585 - in reply to #81584)

thank you for this!

downloaded

Aotearoa - 2007-03-28 9:00 PMHiya IsolaCheck out the link below to a rather detailed Ashtanga handbook. It depicts every asana in the Primary Series plus it explains exactly what you have to do. What's more, you will learn about breath and bandhas and the best thing about this manual is that it's free. Just print it off double-sided, bind (if you work in an office you should find a binding machine somewhere) and use as your practice reference. It's really good!The link is as follows ~http://www.yogadotcalm.com/learning_docs/aym_us.pdfBest of luck with it.NAMASTEAotearoa
Isola
Posted 2007-03-29 1:31 AM (#81600 - in reply to #81584)

Thanks!

But one more question...

Some of the poses I can do, some I can't do. If I follow the order of asanas, there can be 4-5 that I can do, then some I can't and then another one that I can do. Do you stop at the pose you can't do for exemple in the seated positon section and then move on to backbends, or...?

(Yeah, I'm slow. ;) )

/Jenny
jonnie
Posted 2007-03-29 5:56 AM (#81615 - in reply to #81600)

Isola - 2007-03-29 9:31 AM

Thanks!

But one more question...

Some of the poses I can do, some I can't do. If I follow the order of asanas, there can be 4-5 that I can do, then some I can't and then another one that I can do. Do you stop at the pose you can't do for exemple in the seated positon section and then move on to backbends, or...?

(Yeah, I'm slow. ;) )

/Jenny

Hi Jenny,

Traditionally, the primary series is always followed in sequence and the student is expected to stop at the point where they are unable to complete the asana. This applies even if they are able to demonstrate asana that come later in the series.

The main reasons for this (in the Ashtanga Vinyasa tradition) are because of the affect that the asana have on the body, both physically and energetically. Having said that, many teachers also teach in a non traditional way and either offer modifications of the asana or miss it completely so the student may continue.

If you want to be very specific, the primary series does not actually begin until dandasana and ends with setu bandhasana. All the series' begin with the sun saluations, the standing series and end with the finishing sequence.
Isola
Posted 2007-03-29 7:11 AM (#81620 - in reply to #81615)

Now I'm getting it.

Where can you find info on the other sequences?
iandicker
Posted 2007-03-29 7:37 AM (#81623 - in reply to #81620)

Or you can go the David Swenson way and do the poses in easier variations. Personally, I'm beginning to think that it's best to stop when you've got to an asana that you can't really do properly.

Good info and pics on other sequences at:

http://ashtangayoga.info/asana-vinyasa/index.html

Ian
Isola
Posted 2007-03-29 12:56 PM (#81648 - in reply to #81623)

Thanks for the link!
Hehet
Posted 2007-03-29 6:58 PM (#81691 - in reply to #81564)

whenever I want to look at the different series, there's a great site from a teacher in California that i always use

www.absolutelyashtanga.com

shows the series from 1 to 6  
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)