YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Swasthya, The Ancient Yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Marcello108
Posted 2007-03-29 8:24 PM (#81700 - in reply to #81697)
Subject: RE: Swasthya, The Ancient Yoga

Hi. The article was writen by DeRose, the phrase of Juan Fangio is just a quote that DeRose uses to illustrate our Method, that is all.
Regards.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Marcello108
Posted 2007-03-29 8:29 PM (#81702 - in reply to #81686)

I agree with you.
Marcello108
Posted 2007-03-29 8:29 PM (#81703 - in reply to #81686)

I agree with you.
Marcello108
Posted 2007-03-29 8:32 PM (#81704 - in reply to #81697)

I thought the same thing when I started, because I am everything but a dancer. But when you start practicing, things start change and you see yourself doing the asanas in a very especial way, almost a coreography. Our method is practiced for more man than women.
riftweaver
Posted 2007-04-04 9:19 AM (#82258 - in reply to #81573)

Here is a rather nice video (two parts: guy then girl) that I didn't see linked previously:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riiriK6CsCw

Although the swasthya site does feature several male practicioners' photos, most of these performance videos seem to exhibit yoginis... are there a higher ratio of females doing this style of yoga?

I do find it intriguing, and I'd love to do the things the young man does in the linked video, but due to the lack of teachers (and zero English-language training materials) I will not likely be giving this a try anytime soon. And I'm sorry, I have no plans to move to New York.

I am curious, what is the learning progression for this school of yoga? These are relatively advanced flows (in terms of ability to do those asanas). And marcello, the picture of yourself on the rocks in that other thread -- balanced on your fingertips -- isn't in my body's vocabulary. So how does a beginner work up to those things in swasthya? Are there gentle flows? Does one practice asana statically over time before working into the flows? It will be interesting to read your response.

--Jason
mishoga
Posted 2007-04-04 9:28 AM (#82260 - in reply to #81573)

Expert Yogi

I was kind of asking the same thing in the other thread rift. They are awe inspiring to watch.
I am interested to hear his response.
Hehet
Posted 2007-04-04 11:21 AM (#82290 - in reply to #82258)

good questions, rift

riftweaver - 2007-04-04 9:19 AMHere is a rather nice video (two parts: guy then girl) that I didn't see linked previously:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riiriK6CsCw

Although the swasthya site does feature several male practicioners' photos, most of these performance videos seem to exhibit yoginis... are there a higher ratio of females doing this style of yoga?

I do find it intriguing, and I'd love to do the things the young man does in the linked video, but due to the lack of teachers (and zero English-language training materials) I will not likely be giving this a try anytime soon. And I'm sorry, I have no plans to move to New York.

I am curious, what is the learning progression for this school of yoga? These are relatively advanced flows (in terms of ability to do those asanas). And marcello, the picture of yourself on the rocks in that other thread -- balanced on your fingertips -- isn't in my body's vocabulary. So how does a beginner work up to those things in swasthya? Are there gentle flows? Does one practice asana statically over time before working into the flows? It will be interesting to read your response.

--Jason
Marcello108
Posted 2007-04-04 11:23 AM (#82292 - in reply to #81573)

Response of how Swasthya Yogins evolute so fast. The answer is mainly because Swasthya is the most complete Yoga in the world. That helps a lot in executing any asana that you please. And also, because of the codification of the General Rules. I will foward another small part of our book.

1) ASHTÁNGA SÁDHANA

The principal characteristic of SwáSthya Yôga is its orthodox practice denominated ashtánga sádhana (ashta = eight; anga = part; sádhana = practice). It is an integrated practice of eight parts: mudrá, pújá, mantra, pránáyáma, kriyá, ásana, yôganidrá and samyama. These elements will be explained in detail later in the book.

2) GENERAL RULES OF EXECUTION

One of the most notable historical contributions of our systematization was the discovery of the general rules, which are not encountered in any other type of Yôga… unless they have come to incorporate them recently, as a result of an influence from SwáSthya Yôga. We have already witnessed examples of this tendency in classes and texts of various types of Yôga in different countries, after they came in contact with SwáSthya Yôga.
It is easy to verify that the rules and other characteristics of our method were neither known nor utilized before. Consulting books of various modalities of Yôga that were published before the codification of SwáSthya Yôga is enough to show this. In not a single one of them will you encounter any reference to general rules of execution.
On the other hand, these general rules only constitute a discovery and not an adaptation, as they had always been subjacent to the existence of Yôga. Take, for example, any given techniques, such as a forward bend (paschimôttanásana), a backward bend (bhujangásana) and a side bend (trikônásana), and execute them according to the rules of SwáSthya Yôga. Afterwards, consult a book of Hatha Yôga and execute the same positions following their extensive descriptions for each technique. You will be surprised: the executions will be equivalent in more than 90% of the cases. Therefore, there exists a pattern of behavior. This pattern was identified by us and synthesized into general rules.
The existence of such a pattern went unnoticed by many generations of Masters throughout the world for thousands of years of practice and was only discovered at the beginning of the third millennium after Christ. This occurred in the same way that the law of gravity passed unregistered by the great thinkers and physicists of Greece, India, China, Egypt and the rest of the world, only to be discovered very recently by Newton. Just as Newton did not invent gravity, we also did not invent general rules of execution. They were always there, but no one had noticed them before.
In SwáSthya Yôga the rules help a great deal, simplifying learning and accelerating the evolution of the practitioner. To the teacher, aside from this, they save a precious time normally spent on unnecessary descriptions and instructions.
The rules will be explained in the chapter ÁSANA, subtitle General Rules.
3) CHOREOGRAPHIC SEQUENCES
Another important characteristic of SwáSthya Yôga is the recovery of the primitive concept of training, which consists of more natural executions, ones that came before the custom of repeating exercises. The institutionalization of the repetitive system is much more recent than is imagined. The ancient techniques, free of limitations imposed by repetition, led from one to the other through spontaneous links or passages. In SwáSthya Yôga, these constitute linking movements between unrepetitive and unstilted ásanas that create a predisposition for elaborating choreographic executions.
In this way, [A] non-repetitiveness, passages (linking movements) and [C] choreographies (with ásanas, mudrás, bandhas, kriyás, etc.) are reciprocal consequences of each other and are a part of this third characteristic of SwáSthya Yôga.
The choreographies, like the general rules, are also not a contemporary creation. This concept goes way back to the ancient Yôga, from the time when Man had no institutionalized religions and worshipped the sun. The last rudiment of this primitive form of choreographic execution is the most ancestral practice of Yôga: the súrya namaskara!
It just so happens that súrya namaskara is the only thing reminiscent of choreography that is registered in the memory of modern Yôga. Choreographies do not constitute, therefore, a characteristic of modern Yôga. It is worth remembering that Hatha Yôga is a modern Yôga, one of the last to arise, in the XI century after Christ or around 4,000 years after Yôga originally appeared.
Important note: the teacher who claims to teach SwáSthya Yôga, but who does not put together their whole class in a choreographic format is not transmitting 100% legitimate SwáSthya. Those who are unable to instill enthusiasm in their students for practices in a choreographic form need to take more courses and strengthen their contact with our egregore, since they have still not understood the teachings of the codifier of SwáSthya Yôga.
mishoga
Posted 2007-04-04 11:37 AM (#82293 - in reply to #81573)

Expert Yogi

OK, I've read this info but you are not answering our questions.
How is this yoga taught and to what extent? There are claims this is the "True Yoga". well give your personal details and not what is in the manuals.

How did your training progress? What is the criteria to register for this TT program. How long does one remain in TT?
How extensive is the instuctional education in each of these areas that are described? What testing ritual does one undergo to progress from student to teacher?
Details, from your perspective.
I ask because I'm interested. I'm not trying to challenge you. I am sincerely interested.
riftweaver
Posted 2007-04-04 11:52 AM (#82295 - in reply to #82293)

mishoga - 2007-04-04 11:37 AM
... well give your personal details and not what is in the manuals.How did your training progress? ... Details, from your perspective.I ask because I'm interested. I'm not trying to challenge you. I am sincerely interested.

That all goes for me, too.

I will go so far to state that it's not as important to me if this is the "true yoga" or not (no offense intended). I'm just interested in how it works, how I would progress in learning this yoga, and how it might benefit me.

Your pasted text does imply that there are various "choreographies" which would suggest that one starts by learning easier "choreographed sequences". I would welcome hearing more of, perhaps, your personal progression through swasthya yoga. How did YOU start? What were the basic activities you learned? How did you progress to where you are today, in terms of learning?

Thanks again.

--Jason
Marcello108
Posted 2007-04-04 12:33 PM (#82301 - in reply to #82295)

Ok, I am going to post the basic of our practice and you will realize how we evolute so fast. I am not different from anyone, my progress is the same as anyone who takes on Swasthya Yoga on a daily basis with one hour of practice or even less.
Regards.
riftweaver
Posted 2007-04-04 12:42 PM (#82304 - in reply to #81573)

Thanks!
Marcello108
Posted 2007-04-04 2:03 PM (#82316 - in reply to #82293)

Dear Mihoga, sometimes we have to read between the lines... The answers are there. Anyway, I will try to be more specific. Swasthya Yôga is taught by practicing each one of those eight angas with an instructor graduated from the University of Yôga, in a class of an hour, that range from twice a week to six days a week, depending on the commitment of the student. In order to be accepted as a student in our University of Yôga, you must have had practiced at least 6 months of our method doing this ashtanga sadhana that I have described on the other article. Once you have been accepted in the University of Yôga, you start the process of becoming a Swasthya Yôga Instructor, you will learn the name of the asanas (in sanskrit), and how to execute them properly, will master the general rules, will learn more mantras (kirtans, japa and bija mantras and others), will learn more advanced pranayamas, kriyas, how to induce the yoganidra and how to induce samyama (meditative state). After you have learnt that, normally takes from 1 and half years up to 4 years, depending on your comittment. You will do the exam in one of the Federations of Yôga in your country (Brazil, Argentina, France or UK), you have to give a class, do a coreography, pass in the asana contest and other exams. You also have to do guru seva. You see, the answer is not easy. We are professionals and therefore we have to study theory a lot as well. We also study the other kinds of Yôga, including Asana Yoga, Raja Yoga, Bhakti Yoga, Karma Yoga, Laya Yoga, Jnana Yoga, Mantra Yoga and Tantra Yoga, Kundalini Yoga, Kriya Yoga, as well as the other lines of Yôga, such as Tantra-Samkhya (our own), Brahmacharya-Samkhya (Classic) Brahmacharya-Vedanta (Medieval) Tantra-Vedanta (Contemporary). We also study sanskrit language and how to pronounce it right, as all of our techniques are in sanskrit, we do not translate them into portugese or to english or any other language. There are no rituals as this belong to the Vedanta tradition, which is not our tradtion. Hope I have anwered your questions. Regards.
mishoga
Posted 2007-04-04 2:29 PM (#82321 - in reply to #81573)

Expert Yogi

Beautiful. That's what I was looking for Marcello. Thank you.
I understand the process a little more now.
One more question, you say about 4 years someone studies under a senior teacher. So they can not teach until they pass this examination? Also approximatey how much does this program run? I know that is probably going to be hard to relate to me because I only understand American $$$$$ amount.
What is the average age range of certified teachers?? Curious???
Marcello108
Posted 2007-04-04 10:21 PM (#82350 - in reply to #82321)

That is the beauty about our profession because after your first exam you can already start giving lesson to beginners and as you are teaching you are assimilating what you have learnt on the course. It normally does not take 4 years to do the first exam, it normally takes about 2 years, because most of the students dedicate themselves full time so the lenght of the course is shortened. But the only go to their first exam if their instructor feel that they are ready, because the exam is quite hard and no one wants to fail, but they do fail quite often because it is really hard, they have to study more and do it again in a 3 months time. About the price is difficult to calculate because you have to pay for your normal practice (twice a week in Sao Paulo is about $100/mo, then you have to pay for your course, about $90/mo, then you have the books, the CDs, the courses about specific subjects that you must take (about 6 per year) each one cost about $80. Maybe the total would be $5,000 but it is an investment and the ROI is very quick. You do get a certificate that is very respected. For you to have an idea, we are the only kind of Yôga in Brazil that are allowed to teach on the best and most expensives gym academies because we are the only ones that hold a Yôga Certificate.
Marcello108
Posted 2007-04-04 10:29 PM (#82352 - in reply to #82258)

Dear Jason, I have noticed that you enjoyed Swasthya Yoga coreographies. The link that I am going to post now is from a group of Swasthya Instructors that are professionals on coreographies, they have founded a group that is specialized in coreographies and they travel all over the world, showing these coreographies. There are several of them, but this one is my favorite one. It is 14 minutes long. But it is worth watching it. Enjoy it.

http://www.livestream.com.br/videoplayer/uni-yoga/?cid=8&id_canal=32&idv=206
mishoga
Posted 2007-04-05 6:45 AM (#82376 - in reply to #81573)

Expert Yogi

Marcello, that video was quite impressive. Actually the cost for the education seems appropriate.

Too bad they don't offer trainings in the USA. That appeals to my creative side although I wonder if I'm too old. It seems younger individuals participate in this form.
I would love to read up more on this style. He really should publish in english. Why not share his wisdom?
Does he or fellow graduates join any yoga conferences in the US?
I'm surprised this is the first time I'm hearing of this form of yoga.
I personally love hasta mudras in a practice. It looks so elegant, has benefits and keeps strength and flexibility within the joints and muscles of the hands and wrist.

Best to you yoga brotha. I am going to share this with my yogins and yoginis. They will be shocked that people can move this way.

Marcello, do you know the performers of that music in the video? I really like music like that. I love hypnotic, trance like music.

Edited by mishoga 2007-04-05 6:50 AM
dwayne
Posted 2007-05-25 12:36 PM (#87300 - in reply to #81573)

Hi!
It's nice to read such a long disertation on SwáSthya. Nice to see interested people around the globe.
I'm from Argentina. I've been an Instructor for a year now
Loving it.
Regards to Marcello108
Andrea
Posted 2010-07-18 11:49 PM (#124168 - in reply to #87300)

Hi Dwayne, I think I know you! I've been living in Miami for almost three years now. I have practiced Swasthya Yoga for a year in Belgrano (Buenos Aires) I guess you are from there too. Dani was my instructor. I miss the practice and the group so much. I've been practicing here by myself for some time, but of course the power of the group and the knowledge of the instructors are not here and that makes a big difference. Anyway, I don't want to give up Swasthya and at least I had the opportunity to experience and learn some of it. I might even go back to Argentina some time, Swasthya would be a strong reason to do so.
If you are the Dwayne that I know, I'm glad to have found you, and please say Hi to everyone over there. I'll be there in october and hopefully be able to practice again!

Cheers!
Andrea
mayoga
Posted 2010-07-19 3:28 PM (#124173 - in reply to #81595)

Hi Marcello, thanks for this, i ve been into yoga for ages - I even have a yoga website! - but I ve never come across swasthya yoga. I have checked out some vids that people posted here, and I am impressed. Can I can arrange a number of poses and choreograph them into 'continuous asana dance'? or is the systemization unique?
yogiangel
Posted 2016-04-07 8:30 AM (#216780 - in reply to #81573)
Subject: Re: Swasthya, The Ancient Yoga

New User

Sorry, it is a cult! I am sorry Marcello. If you are there for a short time...you will figure it out. DeRose is a crook. I have met him, I did his instructor course and etc. Selecting young people was part of his strategy. Think of how many old instructor you have around you??? They look young and beautiful, so they attract more young and naive people. Selling Tantra for what it's not, is also his marketing. The day you have to reject parents of your friends because they don't have the right age you will start thinking twice about this Yoga.
yogiangel
Posted 2016-04-07 8:36 AM (#216781 - in reply to #81573)
Subject: Re: Swasthya, The Ancient Yoga

New User

I have many things I could say about it...it is an old treat, so he likely realised already!!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)