YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Adho Mukha Svanasana
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Isola
Posted 2007-04-04 12:21 PM (#82298)
Subject: Adho Mukha Svanasana

Today I was googling around for pics of down dog to link to from my blog, and I was surprised to see that you can position yourself in so many ways in this pose.

I was taught that in down dog there should be a "line of energy" from the wrists all the way to the hips, the heart should melt against the floor but the chest should not fall through, if you know what I mean. Shoulders away from the ears, smiling collar bones, shoulderblades wide and so on and so forth...

My question is, can this be achieved while in this position:

http://www.dallasiyengaryoga.com/images/Kitti_dog.jpg

Found lots of pics where there is a arch from the hips to the wrists, and I simply wonder if this is a "correct version" of down dog.

Love,
Jenny

Edited by Isola 2007-04-04 12:22 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2007-04-04 7:36 PM (#82345 - in reply to #82298)
Subject: RE: Adho Mukha Svanasana

Expert Yogi

Isola - look again. Her back is essentially quite straight and the appearance of an arch comes from her letting her arms sag toward the ground a bit. She also has her feet too close to her hands and wouldn't have her heels on the ground if she stepped back as far as her stern Iyengar yoga teacher should have told her to stand All that said, it is a nice looking pose and I will be many years before I can accomplish something remotely like it

The thing is, it doesn't really matter what the pictures look like or what your pose loks like. You just need to keep following the principles you mentioned and you will be working towards a good pose for YOU.
Isola
Posted 2007-04-04 8:09 PM (#82346 - in reply to #82345)

Thank you for your reply! Now I know a little bit more.

The reason I wonderd is because when I don't engage my core and my arms, that's kinda how my down dog looks; I fall through and go very deep, but it doesn't feel good at all. That's what happens when you have a back that's flexible like a cat but not very much muscle to keep it all together. But now I know that it can look like that and still be good, that it can be in control. Then I can maybe allow my back to go as deep as it can and it will feel good, it will be in control.

Or am I way off here?
tourist
Posted 2007-04-05 10:28 AM (#82409 - in reply to #82346)

Expert Yogi

I don't know that you ever "allow your back to do as deep as it can" in this pose. My sense is that when the shoulders are open enough, your head will go to the floor and your back will remain straight.

Here is a nice thing to try - do your dog pose then bend your knees deeply. You have to lift your heels up. Then really stretch your arms and take the torso back to the legs. Then straighten the knees without allowing your shoulders to move. It really wakes up the shoulders! Then send us some photos of your pose and we'll see what is happening
Isola
Posted 2007-04-05 10:35 AM (#82411 - in reply to #82409)

I meant chest/heart melting down, not back. Sorry. It's hard to write about this in English, my brain overloads. ;)

I'll try the bending the knees thing tonight, thanks!

The picture thing is a tricky one though, since the self timer in my camera gives me like 4 seconds to get in position. I'll have to find a friend to assist me.

tourist
Posted 2007-04-05 6:34 PM (#82451 - in reply to #82411)

Expert Yogi

I have had some fun times playing with the timer on my camera as well. Trying to get a decent pose while hoping the flash doesn't go off is a little crazy!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)