YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Eka Pada Galavasana
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Hehet
Posted 2007-04-06 12:03 AM (#82470)
Subject: Eka Pada Galavasana

how do you go from the pose with the back leg contracted to radiating it out behind you?

i engage uddiyana bandha and try to keep my head and body "moving forward" but i lose control of the pose when i attempt to extend the back leg

help?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jonnie
Posted 2007-04-06 1:08 AM (#82472 - in reply to #82470)
Subject: RE: Eka Pada Galavasana

Hi Shakira,

This is why Eka Pada Galavasana is in the third series

To exit the pose you lower your head to the floor and lift the body up into head stand (sirsasana 2) before straightening the legs back up.

Jonathon
jonnie
Posted 2007-04-06 1:11 AM (#82473 - in reply to #82470)

Sorry, I've just realised that I read your post wrong and have not answered your question.

The only way to achieve that is through the correct level of core strength. You'll have to start practising nick's excellent core exercises.

Jonathon
Nick
Posted 2007-04-06 3:11 AM (#82482 - in reply to #82473)

Hi there,
Firstly, I never made any claim that these exercises were my own But use my excellent core exercises.
When I first started practicing the third series, I was practicing in class one day and Danny was watching me do that sequence of about ten postures where you come into various poses like this from headstand. I was just finishing them off, and my arm's are feeling like over-cooked spaghetti, and feeling quite pleased that I had got through it, and then Danny says 'When you can do that, now start doing it from handstand!'
Naturally, my main aim at that point was to kill him.
But, yes this posture is pretty easy from headstand-the foot tucks into the armpit, or close, with ease.

Nick
Hehet
Posted 2007-04-06 12:08 PM (#82527 - in reply to #82470)

see this is what happens when you study vinyasa yoga without the benefit of studying the underlying ashtanga series

K, thanks - gone to do some core exercises
TampaEric
Posted 2007-04-06 1:24 PM (#82542 - in reply to #82470)

I've never done third series. Nor would I try at this point. It's not so much the individual postures, but the idea of doing all of them combined that scares the hell out of me....

But I have done forrest yoga which has lots of arm balances. We entered the posture from standing. Bend knees, Place foot on thigh, fold forward, hooked the foot around the uppper arm (that is what helped me learn it) and shoulder and took off from there. I can't remember how we get back up? Probably went back to standing the same way.

Bakasana and double pigeon should help prepare you too.

You might be interested in Anna Forrest yoga. If you go to a conference, try it...
Nick
Posted 2007-04-06 1:48 PM (#82550 - in reply to #82542)

Hi there
You can also do it very nicely from sitting, putting the foot under your opposite armpit, lifting back through vinyasa, and extending the free leg. This is actually quite a useful way of learning the pose, because you get a chance to put that leg in using your hands-the swing back is interesting, as well It's also useful to do it from down dog-you build up active flexibility in bringing the leg into position.
take care
Nick
Nick
Posted 2007-04-06 1:50 PM (#82552 - in reply to #82550)

and watch those knees!!
Hehet
Posted 2007-04-06 2:58 PM (#82560 - in reply to #82470)

From sitting...ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

thanks, Nick, they're a bit achy...i'm not doing Padmasana at all; just ankle to knee (double pigeon) and other hips openers..slowly, slowly i think my left hip is starting to respond
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)