YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Vrksasana.
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Isola
Posted 2007-04-06 11:07 AM (#82514)
Subject: Vrksasana.

In Vrksasana, Tree Pose, is it ok or not ok to put your foot against the inside of the knee? I was taught that you place your foot on the ancle (with your toes touching or not touching the floor), against the shin or against the thigh. The only place where I learned not to place my foot was against the knee, since the pressure from the foot isn't good for the knee since knees aren't suppose to handle pressure from the side, so to speak.

But with reading more about yoga, checking out different styles and instructors, not all seem to think that it's bad to place the foot against the inside of the knee.

My own instructor does not want us to go for the knee, it's either below or above the knee in her classes, but I find below the knee quite easy now but above the knee is too hard. I guess that one day my foot will go above the knee, and I'm really in no hurry to get there, I'm just curious.

What do you guys think?

/Jenny

Edited by Isola 2007-04-06 11:24 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
TampaEric
Posted 2007-04-06 11:30 AM (#82517 - in reply to #82514)
Subject: RE: Vrksasana.

I was taught the way you were.

Above or below. Sometimes on top of the other foot too...

Knee injuries are scary, so anything to avoid them, I'm all for.

Eric
Isola
Posted 2007-04-06 11:33 AM (#82520 - in reply to #82517)

Thanks! I hope that someone comes along with a different opinion, though, so that I can get the arguments from both sides.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-06 11:36 AM (#82521 - in reply to #82520)

Isola - 2007-04-06 11:33 AM

Thanks! I hope that someone comes along with a different opinion, though, so that I can get the arguments from both sides.

The higher you keep your foot up on the other leg, the higher your level of practice goes. But that is only if you can balance, properly, otherwise, the level falls to the bottom like the Stock Market crash!
Isola
Posted 2007-04-06 11:40 AM (#82522 - in reply to #82521)

That I know. And I can't balance with my foot against my thigh, I fall over before I can say "TIMBER!".

But the queation was wether or not you should place your foot against the knee in order to increase the level of the practice.
Hehet
Posted 2007-04-06 12:10 PM (#82528 - in reply to #82514)

As Eric said, anything to avoid drama with the knees...my knees ache enough as it is

I place my foot above the knee

Posted 2007-04-06 12:23 PM (#82531 - in reply to #82514)

I too was taught to avoid the knee and, the higher the better if capable. However, I maintain that it's very unlikely that resting at the knee is going to cause damage. In that position, the physics alone tells me that there's not enough of a lever affect to cause damage. Also, as it's YOUR leg and YOUR knee, you'll know if there's pain then you stop doing it. Of course I haven't done a metric-based study but I offer the knee as an option with a caution to watch for pain/injury and don't settle for that--always strive for more.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-06 12:54 PM (#82536 - in reply to #82528)

Hehet - 2007-04-06 12:10 PM

As Eric said, anything to avoid drama with the knees...my knees ache enough as it is

I place my foot above the knee

I did not get that impression from your avatar! Yes, please do not mess up with knees. Knees allow you to a) to kneel and b) to get out of kneeling.

Isola
Posted 2007-04-06 12:56 PM (#82537 - in reply to #82531)

That's what I've been thinking too, that there shouldn't be enough pressure to cause injury. But at the same time; I know nothing about this stuff, so when someone who knows more says something about something I have to ask around among others who knows about something... You know what I mean. ;)
TampaEric
Posted 2007-04-06 1:11 PM (#82539 - in reply to #82514)

The thing about yoga is that you will find lots of contradictions and different opinions. Many of them valid, too.

Knees, wrists, shoulders, neck and back issues can really stop you from maintaining a regular practice. So, I try to avoid things that will risk hurting them. No posture is worth injury. I've been teaching tree pose for years with the instruction to not place the foot on the knee. it seems to work well that way and pople gain the benefits of balance, concentration, hip opening and sense of calmness and oneness with the earth.

Hey I'm a veteran now!

I guess I passed 100 posts!

Isola
Posted 2007-04-06 1:15 PM (#82540 - in reply to #82539)

I like that there are different opinions in how to achieve something; different opinions means that there are lots of choices and lots of choices means that more people can experience yoga.

Or something... ;)

Edited by Isola 2007-04-06 1:22 PM
Nick
Posted 2007-04-06 1:20 PM (#82541 - in reply to #82540)

Hi,
I teach puting the insole of the foot against the inside of the knee-but only if the knee is properly aligned and the quads and hamstrings are tight-then the sideways push is resisted by the knee muscles and bingo-the knee is strengthened by the challenge, not weakened or injured.
Nick
Isola
Posted 2007-04-06 1:24 PM (#82544 - in reply to #82541)

That makes sense! The tricky part is to know wether or not my knee is properly aligned. That my quads and hamstrings are active I'm sure of (otherwise my knee hurts because I overextend it if I don't engage my standing leg), but the alignment... That I'll have to ask my instructor about.

Edited by Isola 2007-04-06 1:25 PM
Nick
Posted 2007-04-06 1:44 PM (#82548 - in reply to #82544)

Hi Jenny,
Just to add to what your instructor has to say:
1/ Point the foot forwards. Perform the 'short foot' action, which is where the toes tighten slightly, as though you were drawing the mat under your toes towards your heel. This contracts the muscles which strengthen your foot arches, and as some of the muscles are on the calf, they tighten, which draws the tibia to a more vertical position. If your foot architecture is wrong, you will feel the foot turns as you perform the short foot action-so you can also use it to find out whether the platform you are going to balance on is sturdy-it feels a bit like you are putting your foot on a stepping stone and testing it before you balance on it.

2/ Now bend your knee that you are going to balance on. The knee should go straight forwards over the foot. As you extend your knee again, try to do it by pushing down on the foot, without the foot changing its arch alignment. if you knee hyper-extends, you will probably feel the weight shift back suddenly onto the heel-keep those toes gripped!

take care
Nick
Isola
Posted 2007-04-06 1:52 PM (#82551 - in reply to #82548)

Thank you so much! I'll try that at my next practice.
Hehet
Posted 2007-04-06 3:18 PM (#82561 - in reply to #82539)

you might be a veteran for a different reason, you experience, ithink

isola and I are still regulars

TampaEric - 2007-04-06 12:11 PMThe thing about yoga is that you will find lots of contradictions and different opinions. Many of them valid, too. Knees, wrists, shoulders, neck and back issues can really stop you from maintaining a regular practice. So, I try to avoid things that will risk hurting them. No posture is worth injury. I've been teaching tree pose for years with the instruction to not place the foot on the knee. it seems to work well that way and pople gain the benefits of balance, concentration, hip opening and sense of calmness and oneness with the earth.Hey I'm a veteran now!I guess I passed 100 posts!
TampaEric
Posted 2007-04-06 3:27 PM (#82562 - in reply to #82514)

mm.. that's odd?

I guess I should figure out what is board is all about. I thought the number of posts changed your status...I really have no clue who runs this board or how it works..I do enjoy it.

I've been practicing yoga a little less than 5 years. Faithfully 3-4 years..

Eric
Hehet
Posted 2007-04-06 3:34 PM (#82563 - in reply to #82562)

when you figure out the post thing, let me know

TampaEric - 2007-04-06 2:27 PMmm.. that's odd? I guess I should figure out what is board is all about. I thought the number of posts changed your status...I really have no clue who runs this board or how it works..I do enjoy it.I've been practicing yoga a little less than 5 years. Faithfully 3-4 years..Eric
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-06 5:01 PM (#82574 - in reply to #82537)

Isola - 2007-04-06 12:56 PM

That's what I've been thinking too, that there shouldn't be enough pressure to cause injury. But at the same time; I know nothing about this stuff, so when someone who knows more says something about something I have to ask around among others who knows about something... You know what I mean. ;)

Yup. But, better thing is Private Class.
Isola
Posted 2007-04-06 6:49 PM (#82579 - in reply to #82574)

Sure is. But there aren't many yoga classes up here in the northern part of Sweden. Privat classes hardly exist at all, I think I have to go at least 250 kilometres to find that, maybe even more.

That's what you get when you live in the middle of nowhere. But it's very pretty here. ;)
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-06 11:14 PM (#82592 - in reply to #82514)

Then take a video class with me. PM me if you are interested in knowing.

I can also come to Sweden.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-06 11:16 PM (#82593 - in reply to #82514)

Actually, the second line was not a joke. One person in Italy came to the Airport at Milan to take a private class from me to learn chanting of Surya Namaskar mantras. You can see his testimonial on my website.
Isola
Posted 2007-04-07 4:51 AM (#82602 - in reply to #82592)

Thanks for the offer.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)