YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

the gatekeepers
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

TampaEric
Posted 2007-04-06 1:43 PM (#82547)
Subject: the gatekeepers

I'm curious if anyone practices strict mysore and when they get stopped. I havn't had a lot of mysore practice, but I would given the opportunity practice with a teacher.

Following a strict ashtanga practice, these are postures that would stop me if I were doing mysore

The gatekeepers in my practice:

Marichyasana D (somedays yes, somedays no, can bind with assistance and alone sometimes)
Supta Kurmasana (twice I have bound both arms and feet with assistance) I think if I lost about 15 pounds I would be able to bind a lot better. I'm 6'1" and about 200 pounds.
Dwi Pada Sirsasana (dont practice it, but would with a teacher)
Tittibhasana B,C,D (still feel like these postures may never come) I think I've been very close, within inches/ I injured my hamstrings once and I have a mental and physical block with this pose.

Other yoga:
Supta Virasana (used to be very at ease in this pose, not sure what is going on?) I think my legs are bigger and this bothers my knees, so I end up modifying.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Simmi
Posted 2007-04-08 10:49 AM (#82714 - in reply to #82547)
Subject: RE: the gatekeepers

Hi,

I practice mysore, my previous teacher was pretty lenient with regards to primary series, and lets us do most of the poses even if we could not get into it fully. Nevertheless no 2nd series until we could bind marichyasana d, supta kurmasana, drop back and stand up on our own.

My current teacher is authorised to teach, and is much more strict. I have been stuck at kapotasana for a while since I still can't get the heels by myself. No new poses in sight at the moment until I get the heels. So you could say I have been stopped.

But I understand that different teachers have a different take on things, I think it would be great if you could get to a shala.

Simmi
iandicker
Posted 2007-04-09 4:26 AM (#82807 - in reply to #82714)

TE,

Since I went to Astanga London I've been stopping at supta kurmasana. I was told there that I shouldn't go on until I can join my hands together. That's my gatekeeper and it's stopped me fudging through poses I can't really do yet which I didn't feel quite right doing anyway.

Ian
TampaEric
Posted 2007-04-09 9:33 AM (#82817 - in reply to #82547)

yes, I was taught to plow through the series with modifications and now I"m starting to revert back to a more stricter way of practicing.

Kapotasana is pretty far. Have you tried placing your hands behind your head as you arch back? I was shown that you can use your head to place the hands closer to your feet. It works for me. My "strength" is back bending, so I can grab my ankles (on a good day.)

Supta Kurmasana. Yes, that is a big one. I have several students that can do it, but I have to be pulled into it. I'm going to really focus on primary this year, so we'll see what happens.

Eric
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)