YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kurmasana and Supta Kurmasana
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Hehet
Posted 2007-04-09 12:14 AM (#82780)
Subject: Kurmasana and Supta Kurmasana

I love the deep hamstring stretch and back lengthening you get in Kurmasana..i can hang out there for hours...my question is (i hope i haven't posed this already?  i can't remember)  how do you move yourself into Supta Kurmasana?...i can do the pose with assistance from a teacher moving my ankles together and behind my head and it's a great feeling.  I'd like to be able to use it in my home practice

Top of the page Bottom of the page
jonnie
Posted 2007-04-09 2:27 AM (#82795 - in reply to #82780)
Subject: RE: Kurmasana and Supta Kurmasana

Hehet - 2007-04-09 8:14 AM

how do you move yourself into Supta Kurmasana

Hi Shakira,

From a strict Ashtanga point of view, I'm afraid the answer is to continously practise all the previous poses in the series until you can...

I'm sure that doesn't help

Jonathon
Nick
Posted 2007-04-09 3:46 AM (#82803 - in reply to #82780)

Hi Shakira,
I'm not very flexy (got to make sure I spell that las word right ), so I just bend my knees, put one foot over the other, and then try and wind the top foot under the bottom foot-helps protect the knees from excessive internal rotation when the hips should be externally rotating, and helps get the hips externally rotating, so the pose is 'more advanced.' More bendy practicioners can put the feet straight up there (mind you, I've only seen two people do this well, in twenty years).

Nick
Hehet
Posted 2007-04-09 4:02 AM (#82805 - in reply to #82795)
Subject: RE: Kurmasana and Supta Kurmas

not REALLY...but i see the point you're getting at...

thanks, Nick

jonnie - 2007-04-09 1:27 AM
Hehet - 2007-04-09 8:14 AM how do you move yourself into Supta Kurmasana

Hi Shakira,From a strict Ashtanga point of view, I'm afraid the answer is to continously practise all the previous poses in the series until you can...I'm sure that doesn't help Jonathon
iandicker
Posted 2007-04-09 4:28 AM (#82808 - in reply to #82805)

I'm not too good at this one yet (it's the last pose in my primary sequence) but where does the spiral theory fit in here Nick?
Nick
Posted 2007-04-09 5:21 AM (#82809 - in reply to #82808)

ian****er - 2007-04-09 9:28 AM

I'm not too good at this one yet (it's the last pose in my primary sequence) but where does the spiral theory fit in here Nick?

Hi Ian,
I wish I'd never mentioned that bloody spiral theory now If you use what I said in the other thread about using the spirals to counter-act turning moments, mistakes in this posture include hyper-flexion of the thoracic and lumbar spine, rounding of the shoulders, and a tendency for the knees to slip down the arms-the hands often feel as though they are bing pushed away from the shoulders.
Using the spiral on the arms will make it feel as though the hands are bieng pulled towards the shoulder, though the arm stays straight-this can help to get rid of the common complaint of feeling as though the elbow is breaking. It also pulls the knee up to the shoulder. Spiralling the legs so that the knees turn to the ceiling will ensure a more complete stretch on the hamstrings, and also helps keep the knee next to the shoulder.
Take care
Nick
Hehet
Posted 2007-04-09 11:31 AM (#82825 - in reply to #82780)

That's actually helpful, Nick.  I can see the practical aspect of this theory in the pose 
Nick
Posted 2007-04-09 1:15 PM (#82835 - in reply to #82825)

Hi Shakira,
Don't sound so surprised that I said something helpful !!!

Nick
Hehet
Posted 2007-04-09 1:36 PM (#82838 - in reply to #82835)

usually it's helpful AND torture...this one is helpful and feasible-looking

Nick - 2007-04-09 12:15 PMHi Shakira,Don't sound so surprised that I said something helpful !!!Nick
Nick
Posted 2007-04-09 1:44 PM (#82840 - in reply to #82838)

Hi Shakira,
Well, I think the aim is to make torture bearable by giving exercise where a student can see the light at the end of the tunnel. This means that the torture should come from addressing tight muscles and weak ones, and use your skill to make sure that you do not tighten tight muscles and stretch weak ones-this is what it all comes down to really. Does the torture result in you displaying better function? Or not? I think that you will find this hard to accomplish in Kurmasana-it takes a strong resolve not to surrender to actions that likely lead to a detrimental contribution to our good function-it's only for the stalwart
Take care
Nick
Hehet
Posted 2007-04-09 2:14 PM (#82845 - in reply to #82780)

i'll do my utmost
slowpie6
Posted 2007-04-12 6:56 AM (#83098 - in reply to #82780)

Hi Hehet, a little late to respond, but here goes... I've now managed to get myself into supta kurmasana without help. However, I can't do it directly from kurmasana, I first sit up, place one leg behind my head and try to hold it there by using my same side arm - basically just by pushing up against my leg with my shoulder and moving my hand to the side of my hip with bend elbow. Then, the hard part is getting the other foot to get there too, I still have some trouble with balancing on my sitbones while trying to do this. But if I manage to hook my feet together and hold them firmly, I then adjust my second shoulder til it pushes the whole leg into the right position. From there, I lower slowly to the ground (careful, first time I did this, I bonked my head quite hard!).

The final result isn't perfect, as oftentimes my feet slip off the back of my head and end up on the ground in front of my crown. If they don't slip, the pose still doesn't feel quite as deep and satisfying as when i get assistance from a teacher - basically, they place my feet closer to my nape where they hold much better. Rising up out of the pose isn't quite as satisfying either since my feet aren't firmly behind my head so they always slip forward and so I lift more into bhujapidasana than dwi pada sirsasana. But either way, I can bind my arms and my feet are crossed in supta kurmasana, so I'm pretty happy.

If you've not looked in Light on Yoga on this subject, it appears that the way to normally do it is to lift your torso from the ground a bit after kurmasana, cbring your legs in and cross at ankles (I imagine you can help this with your hands) and once there, pass your arms, shoulders and head through your legs. I've never seen anyone keep their torso against the ground and cross their legs over their head using only the legs to initiate the movement, I don't know if it is feasible really. Mind you, I've not seen many things, . Good luck!

sp
Hehet
Posted 2007-04-12 9:15 AM (#83108 - in reply to #82780)

from kurmasana i bind my arms behind my back and then try to scootch  that's a yoga term, people) my legs toward each other, the getting them over the head part is the catch 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)