YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Parvritta Trikonasana
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Nick
Posted 2007-04-13 1:11 AM (#83221 - in reply to #83189)
Subject: RE: Parvritta Trikonasana

Hi Glenda,
That's ok, you are confused-but I've known that for ages I was saying heel to instep is good for triangle, etc, and heel to heel for reverse triangle. And yes, heel to heel is too close for most-but I think I said there should be a few inches width between them-or at least a couple of inches. So the line isn't so much to align to, but instead to align either side of. Got to be careful of using lines that are not even part of the human body...

Nick
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick
Posted 2007-04-13 1:16 AM (#83222 - in reply to #83221)

Hi Ian,
looking at the picture again, try rotating on the ball of your left foot-this will take the heel further from the line, and will rotate your left hip internally, and will activate the windlass mechanism of the left foot, which tenses the plantar fascia and preserves and protects the three arches of the foot. As you put the heel down, keep the tension, and this should help to activate the calf muscles, which then pulls on the hamstrings, which then pulls the pelvis back over the left foot, or in that direction.
That back foot is over-pronated-see how you are lengthening from the medial malleolus to the instep. Hopefully, the above will help fix it.

Nick

Edited by Nick 2007-04-13 1:19 AM
Nick
Posted 2007-04-13 2:24 AM (#83234 - in reply to #83099)

Hi Ian,
Intersting anatomical display of the long and short heads of biceps femoris, and the ilio-tibial band, just on the side of the thigh, crossing the outside the the right knee joint-you can see the tendon of biceps femoris just behind it. Thanks for that

Nick
iandicker
Posted 2007-04-13 4:44 AM (#83238 - in reply to #83234)

Hi All,

Thanks for all the comments, I'll print them off and go through them slowly. I will try to sort out a line down the mat, but I have been trying to get my heels either side of a line since Nick's comments on my last attempt. I may have missed it this time in the effort to get aligned before the flash went off!
I did feel I was doing the pose OK, although I'm still straining to reach the floor with my lower hand.
I do the standing poses every morning that I practice, can be between 4 and 6 days a week depending on how early I need to get up for work.

Off now for a good read!

Ian
tourist
Posted 2007-04-13 7:01 PM (#83307 - in reply to #83238)

Expert Yogi

Nick - yeah, but it is that really cute and charming sort of confused, isn't it?
iandicker
Posted 2007-04-16 4:47 AM (#83483 - in reply to #83100)

Orangemat,

Thanks for your comments of a week or so ago. I don't think my hamstrings are too tight, in the picture I think I was protecting my knee a bit too much and not going for the stretch that Nick recommended, ie cheating! I've been trying to stretch a bit more into the pose last few days and trying to get my shoulders right too.

I wasn't too worried about posting my pic until you mentioned it. No one looks at these sites do they? Anyway it's given me a lot of free advice from some top teachers!

Ian

Ian
iandicker
Posted 2007-04-16 6:46 AM (#83486 - in reply to #83111)

Hey Tampa Eric,

Thanks also for your comments. I think you're right, the secret is in pushing down with the leading foot and getting my hips into alignment. I'm not sure about whether my upper body is more open than the lower. It's definitely more developed than it was when I started ashtanga in September last year.

I try to do standing poses every day, with one day off a week. Every day something is a little better, but as I can't go to a regular class, I use the forum and you guys to help me move on.

Ian
iandicker
Posted 2007-04-16 6:47 AM (#83487 - in reply to #83111)

Hey Tampa Eric,

Thanks also for your comments. I think you're right, the secret is in pushing down with the leading foot and getting my hips into alignment. I'm not sure about whether my upper body is more open than the lower. It's definitely more developed than it was when I started ashtanga in September last year.

I try to do standing poses every day, with one day off a week. Every day something is a little better, but as I can't go to a regular class, I use the forum and you guys to help me move on.

Ian
TampaEric
Posted 2007-04-16 9:45 AM (#83489 - in reply to #82844)

Hey Ian,

Keep up the good work. I was just trying to emphasize that you can talk about alignment and technique until you are blue in the face, but if you are not doing them regularly the advice can be wasted. I'm glad you are committed to the practice.

Eric
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)