YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

private class
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

TampaEric
Posted 2007-04-12 10:17 AM (#83118)
Subject: private class

I taught a private student last night.

His practice is pretty strong, but he has a few issues with tightness that we worked on.
We did primary up to Janu Sirsasana A. He had lots of questions. Each posture he wanted to know: should I bend my knees, should I round the back, etc. It was tough because the advice I was giving him, basically makes the practice harder to do.

I think I broke one of the rules of adjusting, because I hurt my neck adjusting him last night. I'm sure it is nothing serious, but sometimes adjusting can mess me up. I've noticed this a few times, especially when I adjust the whole class. I'm going to a workshop this weekend, so maybe I'll be able to refine my techniques.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hehet
Posted 2007-04-12 2:41 PM (#83157 - in reply to #83118)
Subject: RE: private class

did you prefer it to the normal led class style you teach?
TampaEric
Posted 2007-04-12 2:56 PM (#83158 - in reply to #83118)

Hey!

If I ever quit my day job, I would need to have private clients. $$$ Right now I have zero time to teach and very little time for my own practice.

Well, it is a lot easier than worrying about 25 students for sure. But it was strange because he was asking questions. Usually I do the talking, you know? But I was adjusting him in almost every posture, so it wasn't simple. The good news is that he said he learned a lot and I think he got a better sense of what the postures are suppose to feel like.

His body is very strong, but he seems to want to go as deep or far as he can, but avoid the stretch that the posture is trying to do. He has been at it for 1 year, so I think he still has a few years/months to go, before he will get his hands flat in Uttanasna (for example). I would say he is 50 years old? That used to sound old to me. But the closer I get to 40 the younger it sounds!

I worry that he is going to too many different styles and teachers. I teach there 3 times a week. I would like to see him come to all three and add only 2 other classes. I love the other teachers, but they teach anusara and iyengar and bikram. Ashtanga is the best method!

I hope he chooses to do another private, so that I can more him all the way to marchi D. He can bind in C with my help.

OrangeMat
Posted 2007-04-12 3:11 PM (#83159 - in reply to #83158)

Was this your first private client? I've been trying (patiently, of course) to switch my (fitness) clients over to yoga ever so often in our sessions. But I have to be very careful. The concept of resting, even in child's pose for more than a breath is totally lost on them. Forget about savasana; if they're not moving or putting forth some sort of effort, they're wasting their time and money, ya know? But slowly and surely they're making their way to seeing some sort of light; might not be "the" light, but hey, at least it's in the right direction!

On the flip side, I've had a couple private yoga sessions, and they were most informative. You said your guy asked a lot of questions and that kinda took you aback, sure, I understand that. When it's one on one, the student isn't in as receptive a state as when he/she's in a class setting. In a class, you take in information, and you do. When it's one on one, you take in, you process and then you do. Interesting how people respond differently according to the setting, isn't it? You don't want them not to process, to question, right? See, that's been my experience teaching all along, even when I'm in a group: I get interrupted and asked questions, used to totally throw me off. But I think that's good for a teacher to get thrown off like that every so often, makes you know for sure whether what you're teaching is totally ingrained or just a mental script.

So what's the workshop you're going to be attending? Adjusting, or something more? Just curious

TampaEric
Posted 2007-04-12 3:51 PM (#83166 - in reply to #83159)

Hey Orange Mat,

No, not my first. But I havn't done one in a long time, because I'm super busy. I work full time and teach at least 3 classes a week. Plus, we have a 5 month old son and I do my own practice.
So, this was a test and treat for me.

Actually I am teaching one on one with another student/teacher every Friday, but he trying to learn how to teach a basic yoga class so the gym I also work for, is paying me to teach him how to teach.. (more teacher training, I suppose than a private)

The workshop: the Art of Observation workshop with David Keil. I've studied with him before. I like him.

OrangeMat
Posted 2007-04-12 6:45 PM (#83183 - in reply to #83166)

Hi Eric,

I googled that workshop, looks pretty good. I've got a weeklong training coming up in addition to the training I'm still in, Restorative Yoga (Relax & Renew) Level 1 teacher training with Judith Lasater. Total other end of the spectrum from what you practice, eh? Actually, it's opposite of what I do as well, which I think is why it draws me in. It's not the sthira (steadiness) that I find challenging in asana, but the sukha (comfort). Allowing release is my edge, as well as staying calm. Interesting, I think.

tourist
Posted 2007-04-12 7:01 PM (#83187 - in reply to #83183)

Expert Yogi

Cool Eric - I haven't done a private since before I began to officially teach. It felt like a more collaborative process to me than a student/teacher thing, but that may have partly been because I was really new at it.

OM - you have to get more stealth into your transition from fitness to yoga! Have them do adho mukha virasana with arms stretched out in front. Make them lift their elbows off the floor and all that good stuff. Don't let them think they are resting. Do legs up the wall and have them take their arms overhead. If they have tight hamstrings, it is a hamstring stretch. If it is shoulders - a shoulder stretch Funny that these are probably telling you they are "too tired" to do another set of reps of whatever, eh?
TampaEric
Posted 2007-04-13 8:45 AM (#83243 - in reply to #83183)

I'll have to google Judith Lasaster. Let us now how you liked it, okay?

I must admit I have a fondness for Lilias Folan. I've done a three workshops with her and I find her fascinating. She has you singing and holding hands and blowing candles out. She is really something. Very spiritual, but not preachy. I studied with her because in my flow class I have lots of older women and I think she sets a good example of how to age gracefully.

I took my mom to her workshop about a year ago and and she took a few minutes to look at everyone in the eyes. Then she asked if anyone was new to yoga. My mom was the only one. At first I think this made my mom very nervous. All eyes were on her. And, she was probably intimidated by this... Then Lilias looking directly into her eyes said "thank you, i would be disappointed if I didn't have a new student today." And my mom kinda teared up and smiled. It was very sweet. We had a great time and now my mom practices yoga at least once a week.

tourist
Posted 2007-04-13 6:59 PM (#83306 - in reply to #83243)

Expert Yogi

Love the story Eric! That is grace and compassion in a nutshell, isn't it?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)