YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need an opinion
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Miabella704
Posted 2007-04-13 5:15 PM (#83298)
Subject: Need an opinion

When I started practicing yoga in '97 I began with the Total Yoga series. There were no classes near me in Ohio and NO ONE I knew practiced yoga. As I moved into Ashtanga practice I took classes and used the Short Forms video.
I have a friend with very little yoga experience. She would like to try ashtanga at home. Should I recommend the Short Forms dvd or, what I personally think is a good idea, the First Series starting with surya namaskarya and not progressing until that is learned then taking one posture at a time?
I'm kind of curious how others feel about this.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Betsy
Posted 2007-04-14 9:44 AM (#83342 - in reply to #83298)
Subject: RE: Need an opinion

I have David's Short Forms and think it's wonderful. The method you're suggesting--starting with Surya Namaskara A and mastering that, then going on to B, etc.--is the way Ashtanga is traditionally taught. In fact, the first of David's Short Forms is pretty much nothing more than Surya Namaskara A and B, and one or two closing postures. That might be a good place for your friend to begin.

I started Ashtanga using David's Short Forms, so I'm not going to tell anyone that's a bad thing! But when I went to a live, led class, I was able to get deeper into the postures because of things the teacher said, along with gentle adjustments ... I could also work at my own pace. David's pace is a bit fast for a total novice, I think.

If there is any way your friend could make it to live classes, that would be ideal ... but working with David Swenson, even on DVD, is a good thing too.

Sorry I can't give you a definitive answer! :-)

jonnie
Posted 2007-04-14 10:01 AM (#83345 - in reply to #83298)

....or you could could teach her Kristin.

Jonathon
Hehet
Posted 2007-04-14 2:37 PM (#83356 - in reply to #83345)

that's what i was thinking also

jonnie - 2007-04-14 9:01 AM....or you could could teach her Kristin.Jonathon
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-14 10:34 PM (#83418 - in reply to #83298)

Miabella704 - 2007-04-13 5:15 PM

When I started practicing yoga in '97 I began with the Total Yoga series. There were no classes near me in Ohio and NO ONE I knew practiced yoga. As I moved into Ashtanga practice I took classes and used the Short Forms video.
I have a friend with very little yoga experience. She would like to try ashtanga at home. Should I recommend the Short Forms dvd or, what I personally think is a good idea, the First Series starting with surya namaskarya and not progressing until that is learned then taking one posture at a time?
I'm kind of curious how others feel about this.

I recommend: a) NO DVD. b) You teach your friend exactly what you feel you are confident of and what you think your friend can actually do. Do not worry about any series for now. c) DVDs are actually for experienced, and not for beginners even though a DVD may be called 'for beginners'.

iandicker
Posted 2007-04-16 4:37 AM (#83482 - in reply to #83418)

Hi,

I'm not sure that the short forms are any good for a real beginner. The 15 minute sequence for example is sun salutations with some quite advanced sitting poses (mari c, navasana, urdhva dhanurasana). It's good if you don't have a lot of time, but boy you need to warm up quickly for mari c inside 10 minutes (well I do anyway)!

Edited by iandicker 2007-04-16 4:39 AM
Miabella704
Posted 2007-04-16 7:41 PM (#83547 - in reply to #83298)

Great answers. Thanks for the help.
We have no Ashtanga teachers in this area. There's Flow Yoga at the Y but it's tailored for the elderly population who have little yoga experience and aren't looking to progress too much.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)