YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

the no cardio diet?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> General FitnessMessage format

sideshow
Posted 2007-04-14 1:32 PM (#83354)
Subject: the no cardio diet?

huh? this guy on 20/20 last night who apparently is a "fitness guru" apparently is claiming that cardio does NOT help you lose weight, but 100% strength training does....kind of interesting, he makes sense i cant exactly remember why, something to do with cardio burning energy but not increasing your metablism where strength training burns energy and increases your metabolism? ( or something along those lines )

here....

April 13, 2007 — "Cardio kills," says Jim Karas in his new book, "The Cardio-Free Diet."

"Cardiovascular exercise kills a weight-loss plan, your internal organs, your immune system, your time and your motivation. If your true goal is to lose weight, interval strength training is the only way to go," says Karas, an ABC News correspondent, celebrity trainer and fitness expert.

When he first tried to lose weight as a 21-year-old, Karas found that he would work up an enormous appetite after running several miles. So while his cardiovascular health improved he still wasn't losing weight.

The Program

He grew more interested in strength training and started exercising with weights. In a short period of time he noticed changes in his body's composition. Gradually, experimenting on himself, he started doing more strength exercise and less cardio — and his weight went down.

His experiment resulted in a cardio-free exercise program that includes two routines with 10 exercises. Every two weeks, after beginning with Phase 1, you add two exercises as you progress to the next phase, ultimately getting to Phase 4.

Most of the exercises require you to use many muscles at the same time, increasing the number of calories burned and maximizing the creation of new muscle tissue.

According to Karas, with his program you still get all three elements — strength training, cardio and flexibility. He says people who engage in his program see an increase in their heart rate.

"It's really a three-for-one solution, when you look at exercise," says Karas.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=3034686&page=1

what do you guys think? when i was looking at it from kind of a yoga standpoint it seems to make sense.....and apparently the REAL workouts (yoga, pilates, maybe some martial arts ) really focus on the building of muscles more than just the running etc....

eh...im interested to know what you guys think...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-04-14 3:42 PM (#83358 - in reply to #83354)
Subject: RE: the no cardio diet?

I read only three words of the article you quoted, and now it all makes sense to me: interval strength training. It's 100% strength training and no cardio at all, that's really too bad you interpreted the article to be saying that. Interval strength training is when you alternate short segments of cardio (usually at a very high intensity) with segments of strength training exercises, with little or no rest period in-between. There's actually a discussion of that on the Diet & Nutrition forum here talking about HIIT (high intensity interval training), if you're interested in reading more.

I'm really disappointed that this article conveyed to you, and probably tons of other people as well, that you don't need to do any cardio to lose weight. There are 5 parts to being physically healthy and fit, and all need to be done with equal emphasis to achieve that goal: cardio, strength, flexibility, nutrition (the right foods) and diet (the right amount of foods). Yoga gives you strength and flexibility for sure, as well as the guidelines for living right in the yamas and niyamas, to deal with your food. Some could say the only cardio they would ever need in life are sun salutations, but I don't feel comfortable making a statement there one way or another. Personally, I need to go running not just to burn off my excess calories ingested (as we speak, in fact!) but also to help me steady my mind. I'm still early in my yogic journey, I guess.

sideshow
Posted 2007-04-14 3:56 PM (#83359 - in reply to #83354)

i really didnt know how to understand it. I watched the 20/20 show last night where they interviewed the guy, and well...he didnt really say it was a HIIT type of training, just 100% strength training, no cardio. I thought it was funny to that this guy said no cardio, although i think this is in the context terms of losing weight specifically and not overall health....

media bias strikes again huh? thanks for the reply though
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-04-14 4:18 PM (#83364 - in reply to #83358)

OrangeMat - 2007-04-14 3:42 PM It's 100% strength training and no cardio at all

Left out a key word. Should've said "It's NOT 100% strength training and no cardio at all". Really hate when that happens!

tourist
Posted 2007-04-14 4:36 PM (#83369 - in reply to #83364)

Expert Yogi

Flavour of the month.... My sense is that some people need more of some things and others need more of others. George Sheehan, the running guru, said that we are each an experiment of one. Anyone who has ever tried on pantyhose or a hotel bathrobe knows that one of the biggest lies ever told is "one size fits all" I hope this guy gets his 15 minutes and his several million bucks. Hope his accountant doesn't rob him blind. Good luck with that!
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-04-14 5:25 PM (#83376 - in reply to #83369)

Though sometimes those robes are "one size fits all at once."

Actually, high intensity interval training as I learned it, as a  method rather than a "branded" acronym, really is an effective way to train the body, especially when trying to get out of that weight loss plateau. Not something I'd recommend to someone to do all the time, maybe only once or twice a week, since it messes with your metabolism by jump starting it like that. But no, definitely not something I'd call "fad" exercising. Interesting though, since it's been around for quite a while, why it's getting so much popularity lately. It's not improved, and it certainly isn't new!

sideshow
Posted 2007-04-14 5:29 PM (#83377 - in reply to #83354)

wooosh!

out with the claws.....wow....i can sure stir up a pot full of angry bees....or maybe not so much i dunno. I was just curious wanted opinions, apparently the opinion is this is a crock....or apparently mislabeled tom foolery...

meh....

whatever.
jeansyoga
Posted 2007-04-15 9:00 AM (#83432 - in reply to #83354)

I love it when someone comes out with a new "MY WAY IS THE ONLY WAY" diet or exercise program. It's just crazy, nobody's way is the only way cuz everyone's body is different. Is strength training effective and good for you? Yes of course? So is cardio - your muscles don't have any energy for lifting without a strong heart and lungs. On the other hand, high intensity strength training raises your heart rate too, so in essence it actually IS cardio. This guy actually isn't wrong, intense strength training will totally make you lose weight. I'm sure that the style of talking about it is just about marketing and nothing else. It may even be his publisher pushing this, if he's a fitness professional he will surely understand how the body works.

Frankly, any fitness activity that people enjoy will help them get healthier and slimmer, whether it be yoga, Pilates, strength training, running, cycling, walking, tennis, skating, anything!
tourist
Posted 2007-04-15 11:25 AM (#83446 - in reply to #83432)

Expert Yogi

Sideshow - I didn't read any anger here. Just a sense that the media always shows things they want to show them and certainly some enterprising folk who have something to sell will go with buzz words and flash to make us think this is something "new" that we should invest in. I mean - this guy is saying "no cardio" to get our attention and then telling us we will definitely get cardio doing his system! He also says "cardio free diet" and "no cardio diet" which he wants us to read as "no cardio, no diet" so people think there is no effort involved, which is clearly false. He isn't lying, but using typical advertising gimmicks to try to fool the masses. Smoke and mirrors, my friend, smoke and mirrors..... Speaking of which - we recently watched the special features for Return of the King and sure enough, among the amazing technical work they did, there was one major effect that was almost 100% done with good old mirrors!
richk
Posted 2007-04-15 7:13 PM (#83465 - in reply to #83354)

My feeling is that people naturally lean toward the cardio side of exercise because of our hard-wired flight-or-flight response to stress.

I think that these days many people they are doing the "fight" portion every day just to keep their heads above water in spite of financial, emotional, etc. obstacles which never let up. And so when they are looking for an exercise outlet subconciously they feel that "fight" response is not working well. So they lean toward the "flight" repsonse (i.e. cardiovascular exercise) hoping to effect change in their lives.

(And the fact that corporations know they think this and encourage it doesn't help)

This is just how I see it. I know the last thing I want to do when faced with the stresses of daily life is go and do high-intensity weight-lifting, even though I know it is what would serve me best to meet my goals

belle vie
Posted 2007-04-16 10:56 AM (#83501 - in reply to #83354)

Veteran

Hello to all. I have to agree with all of you. Karas seems to be hyping his variation of the "same ole-same ole", that is a workout program that involves strength,flexibility and cardio. Nothing wrong with that kind of program. Its the marketing that steams me up -cute -no cardio diet is so close to no carb diet with the stress on NO diet as tourist pointed out

I know, there is nothing worse after a bad stress day than anticipating a tough workout. Its the anticipation that kills me, not so much the workout. But, if I do the workout and complete it, I feel beautiful. There is nothing better to reduce my stress level than to feel beautiful. Fill in whatever the guy equivalent of beautiful is. If I feel that I cannot tolerate even the thought of a tough workout, then some cool yoga stretches have a similar effect--a win win situation

I mentioned elsewhere that doing hiit--I'm too lazy to type it all out--a couple times a week not every excercise seems like a good way to get me jump started. Combined with yoga, pilates and swimming, it all feels good. But it is a lot to cram into a week.

Posted 2007-04-16 11:56 PM (#83558 - in reply to #83354)

The concepts put forth in the article are already being disputed (within the article) by experts; Dr. Jennifer Mieres, a Cardiologist and spokesperson for the American Heart Association and Exercise Physiologist Richard Weil from the NY Obesity Research Center.

Maybe this worked for the guy that wrote the book. I surely would not follow what celebs are following. Most of them these days seem to have outlandish rehab issues or bigotry blast offs. Perhaps he's just looking to self promote and the quickest way to do that is to be controversial.

Who knows. It's like writing about the quickhitting diet where you can eat anything you want. Who ISN'T in???

I wonder how much cardio Pattabhi Jois and BKS Iyengar do?

Edited by purnayoga 2007-04-17 12:01 AM
OptiMystic
Posted 2007-04-20 1:06 PM (#83843 - in reply to #83354)

I have used some HIIT training techniques and I have looked at some of the research done and it does make sense and it does work. You burn more subcutaneous fat if you eat the same amount of food. However, there is one major point where I don't see eye to eye with Karas and that is with respect to appetite. 2 or 3 hours after a HIIT session I feel like I haven't eaten in a week. And I am not hungry for sprouts and lettuce either. A French silk pie would be nice, though. Yes, it kicks up your metabolism, but when you start burning fat it causes an internal alarm to go off and you want food.
jeansyoga
Posted 2007-04-20 6:14 PM (#83865 - in reply to #83354)

So what is it about lying on the couch all week that makes me desperately want some KFC??
belle vie
Posted 2007-04-21 6:16 AM (#83887 - in reply to #83843)

Veteran

What's french silkpie Optimystic? Maybe you should not tell me, it sounds like something I would have to add to the NOOOOOOO list
OptiMystic
Posted 2007-04-21 9:44 PM (#83919 - in reply to #83887)

belle vie - 2007-04-21 6:16 AM

What's french silkpie Optimystic? Maybe you should not tell me, it sounds like something I would have to add to the NOOOOOOO list

How could you ever say no to this?

belle vie
Posted 2007-04-22 12:38 PM (#83937 - in reply to #83354)

Veteran

Oh, what a relief I'm not much of a chocolate fan. However, my husband's favorite dessert is chocolate mousse and he has no interest in fitness--is there a connection? So, I made his favorite dessert for his birthday but I had to hand him a hammer and chisel in order to cut it. I don't know what went wrong. We are still together, but, he gets his chocolate mousse elsewhere. I quess you need not bother sending me the recipe for French silk pie Great photo ,however, and thanks a lot
OptiMystic
Posted 2007-04-22 10:30 PM (#83955 - in reply to #83354)

Your husband would probably love French silk; the filling is mousse like (not a mere chocolate cream pie). I am afraid I do very much like chocolate and whipped cream.
belle vie
Posted 2007-04-23 9:02 AM (#83981 - in reply to #83354)

Veteran

This is getting better and better because I don't like whipped cream either. It's not that I don't like it , it just seems like too many calories for so much air. If I'm 'gonna' have calories, I'm 'gonna' have substance like apple pie ala mode

But my husband would love the recipe-if its not to much of a pain to send it- or a link to find it.But if I have to make it, you better include the name of a good hardware store too
OptiMystic
Posted 2007-04-23 9:25 AM (#83985 - in reply to #83981)

Here is one recipe:

French Silk Pie

and something similar that your hubbie might like more:

Chocolate Mousse Pie

Ther is always the easy way out. Yes, they are mass produced and probably have an ingredient list that reads like a lab report, but they are tasty. But you have to consider that I think this is one of the best tasting snacks on the planet.
belle vie
Posted 2007-04-23 11:49 AM (#83987 - in reply to #83354)

Veteran

Optimystic, that French silk recipe comes about as close to French chocolate mousse as anything right out of my Cordon Bleu cookbook. In fact without the crust, that is almost identical to the recipe I ,aaah , attempted. It even gave me a clue to why my, aaah ,attempt failed so miserably. My recipe was the best ' tasting ' chocolate mouuse I have ever had. As I said, this looks pretty d.... close I know chocolate mousse, I live in France.

The second recipe, I'm not as sure about

My husband thanks you 'infiniment'
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)