YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Spring Yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Kundalini YogaMessage format

gogirl58
Posted 2007-04-18 11:47 PM (#83706)
Subject: Spring Yoga

Extreme Veteran

Hi,
I'm taking a Kundalini yoga class, 1 time a week. This was our 5th week. i enjoy the feeling afterwards of peach and balance. I am noticing that the classes differ considerably in intensity, and the variety of poses is considerable. i also do Bikram, so I appreciate the variety.

Here is the question. Is there a philosophy of when you do certain sequences ( I do what my teacher says, but how does he choose sequences). For example, are there sequences for certain seasons. He advertised this sequence as "Spring Yoga", I wonder if certain organ systems are
being stimulated or calmed by this sequence, connected with the time of year.

In Chinese medicine, I understand that certain organs are more active in certain seasons.

Thank you. Is there a book, ( i'm sure there is) that answers these more esoteric questions about Kundalini?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-19 9:21 AM (#83720 - in reply to #83706)
Subject: RE: Spring Yoga

gogirl58 - 2007-04-18 11:47 PM

Hi,
I'm taking a Kundalini yoga class, 1 time a week. This was our 5th week. i enjoy the feeling afterwards of peach and balance. I am noticing that the classes differ considerably in intensity, and the variety of poses is considerable. i also do Bikram, so I appreciate the variety.

Here is the question. Is there a philosophy of when you do certain sequences ( I do what my teacher says, but how does he choose sequences). For example, are there sequences for certain seasons. He advertised this sequence as "Spring Yoga", I wonder if certain organ systems are
being stimulated or calmed by this sequence, connected with the time of year.

In Chinese medicine, I understand that certain organs are more active in certain seasons.

Thank you. Is there a book, ( i'm sure there is) that answers these more esoteric questions about Kundalini?

There is NO such a thing as Spring Yoga and Summer Yoga. Wait. But, this is not because there is no such a thing as yoga for Spring or Summer. There actually is something as Yoga for Spring or Summer.

The problem is 'there is NO Spring or Summer' now a days. Because, in Winter the Yoga is done in a warm room heated by heater. In Summer, the yoga is done in a cool room by cooling the air by air conditioning. In Spring, there is NO spring inside the room, it is all outside.

To learn all this, you need appropriate training, workshop or teacher training.
gogirl58
Posted 2007-04-19 9:28 PM (#83791 - in reply to #83720)

Extreme Veteran

How do you know what are the temperatures that one in my climate practices yoga in?
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-19 10:09 PM (#83797 - in reply to #83791)

gogirl58 - 2007-04-19 9:28 PM

How do you know what are the temperatures that one in my climate practices yoga in?

Yes, I do not. And, that is same with all others whom you are asking this question on this post, except of course the ones who are next to you while doing yoga. And, on the same note, they also do not know the Sequence Your particular Yoga Teacher is giving. So, the question should be addressed to your teacher.

What I wrote is from my observation of all classes I saw in the USA and other countries for the past 20+ years, sufficient to make generalization.

BTW: What is the environment you are doing Yoga in?
gogirl58
Posted 2007-04-20 2:23 AM (#83807 - in reply to #83797)

Extreme Veteran

Neel, you are right. I was reacting to your generalizations. You were also right that I was asking if there are considerations that my teacher had in choosing the sequence. I will go away into my head and try and find a better way and a better place to ask this question.

This forum is sometimes very helpful, but this experience has been the exception. To answer your climate question. I will answer. It is 40's and wet in the winter ( we are indoors then, but tend to be cold), 50to 60's and wet in the spring, still inside no heat, and 60's to 70's in the summer. In the fall it might reach the 70's more consistently or the 80's during the day. Air conditioning in not in the equation at all.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-20 8:05 AM (#83817 - in reply to #83706)

Gee. I am freezing. I like warm temperature. I am brother native of Bikram. He likes to heat the room. I like the heated outside!!!

I know Kundalini people as many Yoginis from that style with and without turban are my Yoga Sisters. My sincere suggestion to you is: not to spend too much time in researching all this season business, but to continue practice.

SatNaama , vaahi guru vaahi guru, sat shreekaala.
tourist
Posted 2007-04-20 10:10 AM (#83826 - in reply to #83817)

Expert Yogi

gogirl - I would imagine there is some reason for calling a session "spring" yoga and you are likely right - there is some connection with the weather and what the body needs at that time. The best person to ask is your teacher, as I don't think we have any serious kundalini teachers or students here.

My guess is that you will have trouble finding a kundalini book that would address your questions - again, your teacher may be able to suggest one. It seems to be a style that varies widely. For example, I have Kundalini Yoga for the West by Swami Sivananda Radha, but it doesn't sound to me anything like the classes that posters here talk about. So it might be useless to you.

It does sound to me like you have found a nice complement to your Bikram classes. I hope you continue to enjoy them
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)